Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Smile First 2010 ride

We went out to Welch about 11am today with a light SW breeze and about 50 degrees, not bad for March 25th. We only saw two other boats over a two hour period. Good to get out on the water and to the island. We did get the seasonal dock down and the flag up the pole.

We took it slow watching for floating debris but did not see any. We took my wife's Whaler as l had remembered that the Slickcraft's insurance is in the Rip Van Winkle mode until April 1st. Check your policy prior to heading out.

We had minor dock and breakwater damage from a ice sheet that moved in from the south. Several others on the west side of Welch had moderate to severe damage.

Have fun out there and watch for the floating junk in the water, there will be some for sure. It does not take much to mess-up a prop.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We went out to Welch about 11am today with a light SW breeze and about 50 degrees, not bad for March 25th. We only saw two other boats over a two hour period. Good to get out on the water and to the island. We did get the seasonal dock down and the flag up the pole.

We took it slow watching for floating debris but did not see any. We took my wife's Whaler as l had remembered that the Slickcraft's insurance is in the Rip Van Winkle mode until April 1st. Check your policy prior to heading out.

We had minor dock and breakwater damage from a ice sheet that moved in from the south. Several others on the west side of Welch had moderate to severe damage.

Have fun out there and watch for the floating junk in the water, there will be some for sure. It does not take much to mess-up a prop.
Nice! That is a good looking Whaler. Good luck with your repairs.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Nice! That is a good looking Whaler. Good luck with your repairs.
Vita, when you putting in? I may be up next weekend (easter) and long range shows it to be VERY nice 70's! I think a few of our friends will be on the island.. if there is a boat in the water we could do a trip?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Splashing the boat

I am not sure when I will go in- I have to check to see when the docks officially open at Suissevale (I got a little grief for being in late last year). Next weekend is looking good weatherwise though...
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Beautiful Day!

We took our first ride out to the camp yesterday and it was simply a beautiful spring day! The lake was like a mirror and the sun was warm.

We saw two boats all day go by Welch and it was the same boat that went by twice!

I was surprised at all the boats that were already in the water at Fay's!

Here's a pic of yesterdays sunset taken from my dock...

Happy boating!

Dan
Attached Images

ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
robmac

Great pic,next weekend does look great for a nice relaxing day on the water. Looks like I'll have to put her in for the season,put in once already got nervous so I drained her back down.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
townsde

Default Its Launch Time

We are picking up our newly purchased boat next weekend for a test ride and I plan to leave it in the water. If it should turn cold again our dealer said to drain the manifolds and it would be OK. He also advised to not charge the water system for the sink or head yet as that would surely freeze.

I did not see any boats in Moultonborough Bay or Melvin Bay this weeked. We drove by the Lees Mills boat launch. It has a new ramp but it is still closed with metal pilings around the front.
townsde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
NoRegrets

OK townsde, What did you buy? This is the most exciting time of the year and you must be thrilled. I understand next weekend will be great summer like weather.
Best of luck with your new vessel.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
townsde

Default Its Launch Time

I am picking up a 2004 Four Winns 24 foot bowrider. It has the 5.7 GXI engine with duo Prop.

We are new on the Lake and this is our first boat of this size. I started thinking about 19 feet and after reading this forum I moved up to thinking 22 feet and then it became 24 feet. I have gone through the 2 itis thing without ever buying so I guess that is a good thing.

We have alot to learn about the Lake but this should be a great summer for us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to townsde For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-29-2010), OCDACTIVE (03-29-2010), winnisummergal (03-31-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
NoRegrets

I believe you will be pleased with the 24' size. Funny how you started the 2 foot 'itis with a 5 foot upgrade! We'll see if you are in a 26 footer next year.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
hancoveguy

Default nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by townsde View Post
I am picking up a 2004 Four Winns 24 foot bowrider. It has the 5.7 GXI engine with duo Prop.

We are new on the Lake and this is our first boat of this size. I started thinking about 19 feet and after reading this forum I moved up to thinking 22 feet and then it became 24 feet. I have gone through the 2 itis thing without ever buying so I guess that is a good thing.

Nice choice. Thats what I wanted this year but it wasn't in the budget. Ended up with a 24 ft 98 Wellcraft Eclipse. Still have high hopes though. These big bowriders are the way to go I think. I just got rid of an express cruiser-no fun there.

Good luck with the Four Winns, great boats.
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

Welcome to the lake. You chose a great boat and a great size. It should handle most anything safely that the lake can produce! Congratulations! Just take it easy and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are plenty of boaters on this site as well as on the water that are more then happy to help.

See you on the water!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
sa meredith

Default good luck

Quote:

Good for you...exploring the lake, and all it has to offer, will be something I'm sure will bring you many many hours of great fun.
My advice, and I'm sure most will agree, is get a good chart, and spend some time with it each night before you head out, planning your course. Lake Winni is funny...you could swear you're in open water...no land anywhere near by, and come upon a rock shoal instantly.
Although the lake can be great fun, it can very unforgiving to someone not familiar with it.
Even if you are running with a GPS, I still strongly recommend a chart.
Also...ask a lot of questions...people are often quick to disclose their own favorite little spot to drop anchor, and swim/read/nap/lunch...whatever. I wish you well...
By the way...for me anyway, on a weekday (and only a weekday) Johnson's Cove is a great spot.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
jrc

I'm looking at a May 1st launch. All this talk about people on the water and buying new boats is starting to make me a little crazy
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
OCDACTIVE

So how many people will be attempting their first rides this weekend? 80 degrees!!! Early start to the "2010" season. Usually it's Memorial Day weekend, who would have thought Easter weekend!!!!! I remember many Easters looking out the window at the ice and snow still on the lake.. We definately deserve this after last year!

Again although the air is warm, be sure to wear you life jackets. The water is very very cold!

I hope to see you all out there. I will be on my dock waiting for mine to be fixed for the season. Feel free to pick me up!

I haven't figured out what type of summer drink I will be mixing dockside.. Never had to think about it this early on..... Maybe Mai Tai's? definately not "dark and stormys" LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #16
codeman671

I am planning on launching one of the boats on Saturday. I am a bit behind schedule this year, between home renovations, the pontoon still in the canvas shop and the weather it is driving me crazy. I am usually in the day ice-out is called.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I think you should invent your own drink....maybe call it "Active Thunder"
Something with rum,for sure.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
robmac

OCD, when do you expext her back ?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #19
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
OCD, when do you expext her back ?
Test driving her on the 24th of April in VA, then back on the 25th... She will go right to the graphics shop for a week then home to have new gauges and hardware installed... I hope to have her on the lake by the 2nd weekend of May as long as all goes well.

As you can probably imagine I am going crazy!!!

Sam... how about "Thunder Rolls" instead.. There is already a Garth Brooks song that can be its theme.. LOL.. rum is a must....

Although my new favorite is a "dark and stormy" It is a Bermudian drink that is great for the dock. Gooslings 151 rum and Ginger beer.. Not ginger ale which poses a problem because it is hard to find. Usually just a mom and pop store has it. The Old Country Store used to have it in the old refridgerator chest next to the map room, but not any longer. When I find it at a store I buy everything they have.. LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Test driving her on the 24th of April in VA, then back on the 25th... She will go right to the graphics shop for a week then home to have new gauges and hardware installed... I hope to have her on the lake by the 2nd weekend of May as long as all goes well.

As you can probably imagine I am going crazy!!!

Sam... how about "Thunder Rolls" instead.. There is already a Garth Brooks song that can be its theme.. LOL.. rum is a must....

Although my new favorite is a "dark and stormy" It is a Bermudian drink that is great for the dock. Gooslings 151 and Ginger beer.. Not ginger ale which poses a problem because it is hard to find. Usually just a mom and pop store has it. The Old Country Store used to be not any longer. When I find it I buy everything they have.. LOL
The general store in Quechee, has cases and cases of the stuff. Huge selection. http://www.quecheegorge.com/quechee-country-store.php
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #21
townsde

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Good for you...exploring the lake, and all it has to offer, will be something I'm sure will bring you many many hours of great fun.
My advice, and I'm sure most will agree, is get a good chart, and spend some time with it each night before you head out, planning your course. Lake Winni is funny...you could swear you're in open water...no land anywhere near by, and come upon a rock shoal instantly.
Although the lake can be great fun, it can very unforgiving to someone not familiar with it.
Even if you are running with a GPS, I still strongly recommend a chart.
Also...ask a lot of questions...people are often quick to disclose their own favorite little spot to drop anchor, and swim/read/nap/lunch...whatever. I wish you well...
By the way...for me anyway, on a weekday (and only a weekday) Johnson's Cove is a great spot.
I have the Bizer chart for the Lake and I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 GPS with the Lake Winnipesaukee map loaded into it. I am planning on wearing Life Vests this weekend since the water is so cold.

I thank you for the suggestion on Johnson's Cove and I have it circled on the Bizer chart.

Your suggestions are well taken. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
gf2020

I always enjoy a Dark & Stormy!

I take delivery of my new boat from Shep Brown's on Friday, April 16th. I plan on cruising the lake for a couple hours before towing the boat home to MA. It will go in to a slip in Boston Harbor around May 1st.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
Long Pine

Quote:

Not sure if you got it through Melvin Village Marina, the Four Winns dealer on Winni (or if the previous owner did), but if you did and you choose to have it serviced there, I'm sure you will be pleased. The reason I mention where you got it is that I believe Melvin Village only services boats they sold (although this might have changed in the last couple years). In any case, Rob the service mgr there is a great guy - always returns phone calls promptly, honors commitments, happy to offer advice over the phone, and I've never had a problem with any of their work. Best of luck to you.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #24
Lucy Goose

Quote:

We did the same thing with the two footitis. And this is our first year on our own boat on the lake. We've been on other folks but not our own. We bought a Four Winns Vista 278. We just took our test drive this past Saturday in Melvin Bay and she is now officially ours. Going to have the name put on and a grill and a generator. Can't wait to explore and meet folks.
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
Great Northern Cleaning

Default I wish it were TGIS..,..

Thank god its saturday....with temps predicted to be in the mid 70s...we shall out for our 2010 maiden voyage with the fourwinns..just not to sure about tubing this weekend Greetings to all readers from a Winnipesaukee.com newbie. Frank
Great Northern Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #26
robmac

Welcome Frank, I wish you years of enjoyment with your new boat. You'll find alot of people here and on the lake will be more than happy to assist with anything you could ask. Again congrats.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #27
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Northern Cleaning View Post
Thank god its saturday....with temps predicted to be in the mid 70s...we shall out for our 2010 maiden voyage with the fourwinns..just not to sure about tubing this weekend Greetings to all readers from a Winnipesaukee.com newbie. Frank
Welcome Frank! You will love the lake and please post your experiences and pictures!! We always enjoy hearing about new adventures from a newbee!!!

See you on the water!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #28
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Considerable Debris

Yesterday was our 1st ride in the Slickcraft; we used the Whaler last week. We took a UNH water sample collector out to two deep spots. The 1st was between Governors and Mark taking samples down to 40 meters (131') and the 2nd between Shep Brown's and Bear taking samples down to 31 meters (102'). Later we made a visit out to camp on Welch.

There was a lot of floating junk in the water, mostly chunks of wood from broken docks. The concentration was higher in the more confined areas but it still was all around. The lake was almost calm so the floating wood was fairly easy to see. With a little more wave action those prop killer blocks will be hard to see.

I was a very nice day on the lake and quite a few boats were out, mostly fishermen.

Last edited by Slickcraft; 04-03-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: typo
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #29
rick35

Default Good point

I was out on the water for a few hours today and have to agree that the debris was easy to spot since the lake was so calm. I was going around 20mph and had to keep a sharp eye out for the debris. The trip from Shep Browns over to Bear and on to Meredith for lunch was fantastic. Who would ever think that we'd have such a great boating day in early April. I remember the snow storm of April 6, 1982 all too well.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #30
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Water is very cold

Setting up the dock today required Celia to put her arm in the water for about 15 seconds. When she pulled her arm out she announced that if she fell off the boat, to not bother trying to bring her aboard as it would make little difference. I don't think she was to impressed with my agreement to follow her wishes.

Please be careful.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #31
robmac

Yes that water is still very cold,my only problem was it was so cold the engine wouldn't come above 160 degrees. But a beautiful day to be out on the water. R guy,I know if that'd been me and my other half I'd be sleeping with one eye open.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #32
WinnDixie

Default Cautionary tale!

Yes, Rick35, I,also, will never forget April 6, 1982. One could have actually thought to go for a boat ride, too...the morning started out nice with just a few tiny, wispy flakes...and not cold. It ended up with the worst road conditions I have ever driven in. May 2010's April be much better for you all!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote