Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Meredith Rotary Fishing Derby

Is the Meredith Rotary Fishing Derby still on for this weekend?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Irish Choppers

Thumbs up Fishing Derby

I just checked the Rotary website and the derby is still on for the weekend!
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Choppers For This Useful Post:
moose tracks (02-09-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default It was discussed

The only way it would be canceled is for lack of ice or otherwise unsafe conditions. Per earlier post.
Have fun, it should be really interesting until tomorrow afternoon.
moose tracks (02-09-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Arrow Staying Home Today!

Well I have done some crazy things over the years but attempting to ice fish during the peak of the storm has to rank right up there with the best of them!

We fished Friday and Saturday in a very wide open but safe portion of the lake. Other than the wind, Friday wasn't bad as we got off the lake at 4:00 P.M. before the storm hit really hard. Saturday however was just ridiculous! While we had tracked vehicles and GPS the conditions were just horrendous!

After getting stuck a few times in 4' snow drifts it took us over 2 hours to travel the 1 mile trek from shore to our bob house in complete white out conditions with wind gusts that would knock you over. I have never had my tracked Polaris Ranger stuck but this snow was so loose and deep it took everything it had just to get through it and even it got stuck a couple times, even the snowmobiles were getting stuck if you stopped at all!

When we finally made it to the bob house, everyone was too wiped out to even drill holes to start fishing.... or so I thought when one of my "Mensa" colleagues drilled a hole and attempted to get a line down in 40 mph gusts! We had a good chuckle as we watched him out the window from the warmth of the bob house...this was youtube material and I really wished I had brought my video camera!

When we finally got our strength back, we wrapped it up or should I say gave up and made the trek back to shore. We got stuck again numerous times and had to shovel out. All in all, it really sucked!!

We made it to the Ellacoya Barn and Grill which was surprisingly open and the looks were priceless as we walked in looking like abominable snowmen with frozen snot stuck to our face! The pizza and beer there really made a bad day a little better!!

Not fishing today!! Good luck to those that are!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 02-10-2013 at 10:57 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-10-2013), brk-lnt (02-10-2013), Major problem (02-10-2013), Pontoon Goon (02-10-2013), Resident 2B (02-10-2013), trfour (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
camp guy

Default Meredith Rotary Fishing Derby

Say, ishoot308, sounds to me like you had a heck of a time, memorable, a little crazy, fun, and a good meal. This seems to me to be a whole lot better than riding out to your shack, drilling a hole, drowning a worm or something, drinking a beer, then riding back to shore and going home - sort of a boring day. Your day had stories galore, suspense, intrigue, and a happy ending with good food and good friends. You are a lucky guy, ishoot308, a lucky guy.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Well I have done some crazy things over the years but attempting to ice fish during the peak of the storm has to rank right up there with the best of them!

We fished Friday and Saturday in a very wide open but safe portion of the lake. Other than the wind, Friday wasn't bad as we got off the lake at 4:00 P.M. before the storm hit really hard. Saturday however was just ridiculous! While we had tracked vehicles and GPS the conditions were just horrendous!

After getting stuck a few times in 4' snow drifts it took us over 2 hours to travel the 1 mile trek from shore to our bob house in complete white out conditions with wind gusts that would knock you over. I have never had my tracked Polaris Ranger stuck but this snow was so loose and deep it took everything it had just to get through it and even it got stuck a couple times, even the snowmobiles were getting stuck if you stopped at all!

When we finally made it to the bob house, everyone was too wiped out to even drill holes to start fishing.... or so I thought when one of my "Mensa" colleagues drilled a hole and attempted to get a line down in 40 mph gusts! We had a good chuckle as we watched him out the window from the warmth of the bob house...this was youtube material and I really wished I had brought my video camera!

When we finally got our strength back, we wrapped it up or should I say gave up and made the trek back to shore. We got stuck again numerous times and had to shovel out. All in all, it really sucked!!

We made it to the Ellacoya Barn and Grill which was surprisingly open and the looks were priceless as we walked in looking like abominable snowmen with frozen snot stuck to our face! The pizza and beer there really made a bad day a little better!!

Not fishing today!! Good luck to those that are!

Dan
Great story. I was LMAO reading it, owning both snowmobiles rated for mountain climbing and polaris RZR's I can just visualize the whole scene.
I'd be willing to bet after this year they may want to add having a blizzard the day before to one of the reasons to cancel it.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Merrymeeting

The timing of the storm was a shame for the Derby. We went to The Wolfeboro Inn tavern last night. Just a handful of folks there, including us.

I'm guess that The Inn and many other places around the lake were supposed to be fully booked. But with travel bans to the south, many could not make the trip. I hope the local businesses weren't hurt too badly, and that the extra business now that we have some decent snow will make up some.

Though I have been surprised at how little activity I've seen or heard on my end of the lake today given how nice it is out there.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 02-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Say, ishoot308, sounds to me like you had a heck of a time, memorable, a little crazy, fun, and a good meal. This seems to me to be a whole lot better than riding out to your shack, drilling a hole, drowning a worm or something, drinking a beer, then riding back to shore and going home - sort of a boring day. Your day had stories galore, suspense, intrigue, and a happy ending with good food and good friends. You are a lucky guy, ishoot308, a lucky guy.
You know Camp Guy, you're absolutely right! I'm sure as the years go by my friends and I will embellish the story just a tad to make it even more interesting like most good fishermen do!! Who knows, after a couple cocktails those snowdrifts may get to be 10' and that 1 mile trek will become a 10 mile death march in our stocking feet while we pulled our snowmobiles back by hand!!

Thanks for finding some good in a lousy day!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I'm sure as the years go by my friends and I will embellish the story just a tad to make it even more interesting like most good fishermen do!!
If you're really a "good fisherman" the over/under on the embellishment is likely in measured in months, not years. (and maybe days)

Great story, well told!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
uglytunasaloona

Default It was a crazy weekend

My son came up on Thursday night and we headed out on Friday morning we decided to do a bit of warm up fishing. We hauled our shelter and equipment on to Paugaus and set up. After 3 hours it was a mess. We did not have even a single bite It took us forever to haul everything off of the ice as conditions had worsened.

On Saturday we decided to give it another shot. It took us an 1 ½ hours to haul our stuff on to the ice. My son's wife was the smart one and said I don't care about the entry fee I'm not going with you two clowns. The conditions were horrific. The winds were unbelievable and the blowing snow made it impossible to see where we were going. We got nothing not a bite. In fact when one of us went out to check the tip ups the wind would lift the shelter ½ foot off of the ice. Then some snowmobilers came through the area and ran over one of our tip ups. My son went to check on it and in searching for it stepped right in the hole where it should have been. Thank god he only bruised his shin and got incredibly wet and cold. We struggled off of the ice and eventually warmed up with a few beers and shots of bourbon.

The Sunday conditions were unbelievably beautiful. We set up in record time and were sitting in the shelter in T-shirts. We caught 2 pickerel which weighed over 3 lbs each and just missed the board. We enjoyed the sun and the other people on the ice and I was mildly surprised that I won $100 in one of the random drawings. Overall a crazy weekend which I would probably do again.

Definitely a few stories here.
uglytunasaloona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default Curious

With only nine posts and almost a week gone by, is it safe to say the derby didn't do very well this year?
I have also heard very little talk around the area concerning the derby.
Anyone know how low the numbers were?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
hilltopper

I believe I read that last year they sold around 4,500 tickest and this year around 4,000. I'd be curious to know what percentage of those 4,000 braved the conditions and actually fished on Saturday.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
I believe I read that last year they sold around 4,500 tickest and this year around 4,000. I'd be curious to know what percentage of those 4,000 braved the conditions and actually fished on Saturday.
That is what I was wondering, how many actually attended?