Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
Dave R

Default Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee

Anyone else read this book by Paul H Blaisdell (or is it Blasidell?) I've owned my copy for years and am re-reading it in my spare time. Nice book, great stories. I believe it was written in the 30s and updated in the 70s. He wrote about the original Mount Washington while it was still in service and about being able to see the Lady of the Lake (in 45 feet of water) from the air when the sun is just right and the lake is calm. I don't know if the book is still in print.

There's a great anecdote in the book about the origin of the name "The Witches". He claims the Witches were once an island with trees and that wave action eroded the soil until there was nothing but shallow rocks and tree trunks there. Supposedly a man who lived on Timber Island used to row his boat to Governer's Island, so he could walk to Gilford over the bridge. He left Gilford rather inebriated one evening, hopped in his rowboat and headed toward Timber Island. In his drunken state, he accidenatlly landed on the Witches while there were still hollow tree trunks standing and thinking one of the trunks was his locked home, knocked on it so that someone would open the door. Aparently the knock resulted in an unusual noise from within the tree and thinking it was a witch he scrambled back into his boat where he hid until daylight. He told the story to other people and that's how they got the name "The Witches". Sounds a bit far fetched to me but it was amusing reading.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
Grant

Default "Angling in the Smile..."

Always wanted to read that book, but had heard (through this forum, I believe) that it was out of print. Is yours an old copy?

On a related note, I have to give a plug to Dr. Harold Lyon's incredible book, "Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit," which my wife got me for our anniversary last week. Even if you're not an angler, Dr. Lyon's book is a witty, insightful, poignant, and humorous account of life on the lake and the Zen of fishing. The shared fishing wisdom is top-shelf (and, thankfully, validates some of the stuff I've heard from various fishermen on the Lake over the past 40 years), and the profiles and advice of the 15 "Master Anglers" is invaluable. It's a great summer read (or winter or spring) and makes a great gift for anyone who loves "Winni."

That being said, I would LOVE to fish with this guy.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
Dave R

I got my copy in 1976 or 1977 when I was 10 or 11 years old. My family had been boating on the lake for a couple of years at the time and my father thought I'd like the book since I was fascinated by antique boats. He was right.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
Senter Cove Guy

I bought my copy on 7/7/77 in front of Black's in Wolfeboro. I even got Paul Blaisdell to autograph it when I bought it. I haven't read it in awhile. I think I'll look for it tonight and take it with me to the lake this weekend.
Senter Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
Rinkerfam

I read the book in question while vacationing on Sleepers Island one year. It was most enjoyable. I am waxing nostalgic as well and am looking for a book about "Winni" that was written a while back. My search is for a fictional novel called "Mystery On The Mount". It was written by Spencer Charles and printed by Blue Mountain Press. I originally purchased the book from Blacks in Wolfeboro in the summer of 1984. I spoke to them, (Blacks), recently and they didn't have much to offer as to how to find a copy. The reason I'm looking for it is that I have read mine so many times, (each winter while longing for spring and each spring while looking forward to my Winne vaca.) that my copy is falling apart. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Rinkerfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy
I bought my copy on 7/7/77 in front of Black's in Wolfeboro. I even got Paul Blaisdell to autograph it when I bought it. I haven't read it in awhile. I think I'll look for it tonight and take it with me to the lake this weekend.
That's where mine was purchased too. Don't know the date though. I used to love Black's as a kid.

MMM... The Yum Yum Shop, Bailey's... bringing back great childhood memories. Anyone remember Ruby's in New Durham? It was a tiny, greasy spoon joint next to a rod and gun club if memory serves. Ruby was a cantankerous old lady who served enourmous portions of terribly unhealthy, but quite tasty food and charged very little.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:36 AM   #7
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
Anyone remember Ruby's in New Durham? It was a tiny, greasy spoon joint next to a rod and gun club if memory serves.
It is still there! But it now goes by "Sporto's" and is run by a very nice woman (don't know her name). Still large, delicious portions, still most likely very unhealthy. But the omletes are great! Breakfasts there are a tradition in our house.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 AM   #8
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default I have a copy....

I bought my copy at the Country Store in Moltonbough years ago. I used to keep it on the boat and would read it on rainy days and reference it for stories I told to my dive buddies. However, I loaned it out and my friend lost it.

Two years ago my wife grew tired of hearing me cry about my lost treasure and did a search on the Internet and found a used copy for my birthday. Wow, I was impressed, she managed to find it within minuets and this is a person who hates using the computer for anything other than playing games.

Try Amazon used section (that where she found it) or ebay, you'd be surprised what you can find there in just a few short keystrokes.

Today I keep it right here at my desk and I don’t loan it out.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
ghoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam
I read the book in question while vacationing on Sleepers Island one year. It was most enjoyable. I am waxing nostalgic as well and am looking for a book about "Winni" that was written a while back. My search is for a fictional novel called "Mystery On The Mount". It was written by Spencer Charles and printed by Blue Mountain Press. I originally purchased the book from Blacks in Wolfeboro in the summer of 1984. I spoke to them, (Blacks), recently and they didn't have much to offer as to how to find a copy. The reason I'm looking for it is that I have read mine so many times, (each winter while longing for spring and each spring while looking forward to my Winne vaca.) that my copy is falling apart. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
I found my copy in a used book store in Meredith (no longer there). It was in perfect condition and I only paid 1/2 the original cover price. Interestingly, when I opened it up, I found that I had an autographed copy by the author.
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:01 AM   #10
Janet

Default Mystery on the Mount

Found my copy just recently on Amazon. Kinda fun to see how the author mentions all the attractions and some history of the lake in the book.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:34 PM   #11
Island Girl

Default Ebay

I bought my two on ebay. One is hardcover, the other a paperback. They are the second edition. I would love to find a first edition. Guess I will read it again, it has been a couple of years.

I saw a paperback on Evay last week. Keep trying.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:49 PM   #12
Rinkerfam

Thanks for the tips regarding Ebay and Amazon. I found three copies on Amazon tonight, but the prices were insane. I've never been to their site before so maybe I'm missing something, but the three copies ranged in price from $39-$42.
Rinkerfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Three Centuries Map

Does anyone know if this map omitted from my 1975 soft cover book or is it just missing?
(Click on the photo to super size it.)
This book would make an excellent Christmas gift!
1975 softcover 2nd printing ranges from $44.00 - $48.00.
1975 hardcover 2nd printing ranges from $72.00 - $79.00.
1993 hardcover 3rd printing is $73.00.
1936 hardcover 1st edition ranges from $75.00 - $78.00.
(Please note the 1936 version does not have the additional information Paul Blaisdell added for the 1975 printing.)
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

....currently available on E-BAY. Quick! Only 24 hours left in the auction!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Tallyho

Default Ruby's

I remember Ruby's quite well. We used to drive by everytime we went to camp, as that was the main road in those days (1949-50). The ride from Rye, NH, to Alton Bay seemed endless. We would have mother, grandmother, at least two cats, a Great Dane, a canary in a cage, my sister, and myself, packed into a 1949 Pontiac convertble. It must have been quite a sight! There was always a competition to be the one who called out,"I see the lake first", as we crested the hill behind Downings.
Tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #16
Phantom

RG -- that map is a gas !! I love it !
Old 10-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
gtxrider

Default And I thought

Gee I thought 3 Centuries on the lake would be about a Raven, Resorter and a Coronado!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #18
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
Gee I thought 3 Centuries on the lake would be about a Raven, Resorter and a Coronado!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
....currently available on E-BAY. Quick! Only 24 hours left in the auction!

And... the winner is SteveA $41.00

McDude.... Thanks for the heads up.. I can't wait to get it!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #20
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Three Centuries on Winnipesaukee

RG..

Just received the book I won on E-Bay. The map was included.. and it is a first printing.. (1936)

It's in "good" shape with several loose pages.

It's a great read!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #21
carguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider

GTXRIDER:

I enjoyed your humor. Between my brother and I we have owned a Resorter, Raven, and Coronado.We had some great times with these boats on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote