Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Cool outboard skeg repair

Anyone know where to go, close to Meredith, to get an outboard skeg repaired. It has about a two inch missing ding. Who does alumium welding skeg repair? How is that East Coast Welding over by the Laconia Airport? Where is some place that is very good for aluminum welding and not too expensive? I figure a local welding or bicycle shop must have some experience w/ skeg repair plus it's got to be cheaper than a marina. Any place is probably cheaper than a marina. Could be that even the marinas take their welding to a welding shop themselves.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
ghoti

Thumbs up Try Skeggard

Had a similar problem several years ago with my outdrive. I got several quotes, all well over $200. All the marinas that I talked to sent them to a welding shop (never found out where) for winter work.

I saw an ad for Skeggard (www.skeggard.com) and decided to give it a try. It's made from Stainless, custom made for the skeg that it fits over. As I recall, it was about $99. It required drillling two holes in the existing skeg and is attached with both bolts and epoxy. It was real easy to install and worked terrific. I'd highly recommend it.
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
gtxrider

Default Skeg guard

Try OVERTON'S they carry the SKEGGARD @ $99.99.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...der/items2.cgi.

Watch for rocks..
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:20 AM   #4
madrasahs

Default Hoyle's Rules:

If it's only cosmetic, remember that some repairs don't always go "according to Hoyle's". (Or Murphy's Law).

If it's not distorted and there's no gearlube leak, consider filing/sanding the rough edges smooth. (Until the next
errant rock forces a repair/heliarc/replacement).
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Tir Na Nog

Default Skeg Repair

I ran into the same problem several years ago (maybe as many as 4 or 5). I found a place in Laconia I believe on Route 11 near the area where you take the turn up by B Mae's and the Silver Sand's Marina. It was a welding shop and they removed the skeg and put a new one on for about $100 (probably more now). I did not go with the other device people have mentioned (available through Cabella's at least then) as I was advised against it by my brother who lives boats (runs a charter fishing service out of Plymouth, MA). However, others may have had experience with the device. In any event the repaired skeg worked and looked as good as new and still is functioning. The boat is a 20' Regal deck boat with a Merc I/O.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #6
Grady223

Default Skeggard

I Have used skeggard and their great. They are stainless and stronger than the original so that you dobn't have to worry about damaging it again.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Skeggard

Your brother gave you some bad info then. I've had a skeggard on for 2 years and swear by it.
No more wear and tear from sand bars. Minor dings that would take a chunk out of your stock skeg do not happen anymore.
A friend wound up somewhere he shouldn't have been and hit a rock pretty hard. Skeggard took the impact and dented but that was it. Normally the whole skeg would have been torn off.
Also, it just looks really kool especially when you have a stainless prop and outdrive shower.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #8
chunt

Default Skeg Repair

Throught the years, I have had a couple of them repaired. What I have done is made a pattern of the skeg, buy copying another good one onto a piece of cardboard. Removed the lower unit from the boat and gave it to a local welding shop. Any welding shop can use the patern to repair the skeg. There is usally only six screws that hold the lower unit onto the upper. It should only cost $60 to weld. Good Idea to replace the water pump while the lower unit is off.
chunt is offline   Reply With Quote