Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
rgilfert

Default Compass Removal Advice

I have an old (1998) Four Winns Horizon 200 that has a flush mounted Ritchie F-50 compass on the dashboard. The issue is that over the last couple of years the compass has leaked out (for some unknown reason) most of its liquid and has stopped functioning accurately. I see on Amazon that I can still purchase the identical unit for around $55 and thus I'd like to replace the original unit with one that will actually tell me what direction I'm heading. Prior to ordering the new compass I thought that I'd perform my due diligence and see how easy getting the old unit out is. Here lies the problem! Using a small offset Phillips screwdriver I was able to remove the three screws connecting it to the dashboard ..... but .... when I tried to lift the unit out I found that it couldn't be removed due to its proximity to the windshield. Doh!!! In looking at the dashboard and instrument cluster it appears as if the slightly darker (in the picture) vinyl covered fiberglass sheath the holds the compass, instrument cluster and toggle switches should be able to be removed enough to get the compass out but I don't know how to do it! Looking under the dashboard doesn't offer an obvious remedy ..... does anyone have experience in doing this and can help me find the under dash connection points?? In the second photo, one of two long bolts with wing nuts is visible (right centerish) that look like they "might" be at least part of the solution ..... But I don't want to just start taking things apart and end up with a boat that doesn't work. Help, please!
Attached Images

rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #2
rgilfert

Default Opppps ....

Here's the second photo
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
rick35

That piece has to come off. I've taken my boat dash off a couple of times and there were three or four screws holding it on. It was just a foam trim piece without the gauges and switches and wasn't as complicated as yours looks. i'd google it. I've had to remove the dash from a couple of cars and without getting info from youtube or blogs I would never have figured it out on my own. Once I found out how and bought some inexpensive plastic dash removal tools they popped right off. A putty knife would have worked too but I figured plastic is safer and less likely to damage the trim.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
brk-lnt

Boat dashboards are usually pretty easy to remove as a complete unit, the trick is just finding the right screws (duh).

The screw in your second pic looks like where I would start. Loosen those, see what moves, look around the areas that don't seem to be moving and repeat.

FWIW, I'd order the new compass now. Most likely by the time you get the dashboard loose you won't want to put it all back together and then remove it again. Amazon has pretty good return polices, on the 1% chance you can't make it all work you can just return the compass.

I don't have my portable toolkit here this weekend or I'd offer to help. If you want to tackle it next Friday, let me know...
rgilfert (09-07-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
Island-Ho

Default Remove the windshield

My Four Winns dealer had to remove some glue that was in a similar position as your compass, and he removed that section of the windshield. The rubber strip at the bottom of the windshield on the outside hides the screws. It should be easy enough to move it enough to replace the compass without a complete removal of anything.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island-Ho For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (09-07-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho View Post
My Four Winns dealer had to remove some glue that was in a similar position as your compass, and he removed that section of the windshield. The rubber strip at the bottom of the windshield on the outside hides the screws. It should be easy enough to move it enough to replace the compass without a complete removal of anything.
Agreed, the windshield comes off in 10 minutes.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Why spend $55

when you only spend your time on Winnipesaukee? The direction of Red Hill is North and easily figure directions from there works for me in the 50 years I have been on the lake.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
rgilfert

Default Why Spend $55

The simple answer, BroadHopper, is that I like to maintain the things that I own in working condition. The absolute truth is that I never use the compass .... after my 65 years on the lake I pretty much have it memorized.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

^ I know exactly what you mean--I can't stand knowing things don't work!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Ritchie

I had a similar problem with lost fluid, removed the compass and sent it to Ritchie over the winter. Came back like new in a few weeks. I don't recall that they charged a fee. I agree with loosening the windshield as the first point of approach.

I've had similar good experience with Raymarine in Nashua. It's close, so I just walk in and drop off. A few days later, a tech calls and we chat and decide what to do. When I pick it up, they say, "Oh, we replaced X and upgraded Y as long as it was on the bench." (Did your Doctor ever say, "As long as we were doing the appendix, we took out the gall bladder too, no charge"?) Mostly, we buy this type of gear because the boat already had it from the mfg. When it is backed by that kind of service, I'm impressed.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
rgilfert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho View Post
Island-Ho: It's been ten months since posting this request for help to replace my Ritchie compass in my Four Winns. I bought the replacement compass over the winter and finally got around to trying out your advice this afternoon. You were spot on as to how to accomplish the windshield partial removal! I can't thank you enough for your advice ..... the whole project took me less than 30 minutes. Now I wonder why I procrastinated so long! Thanks again.

Rog
Old 06-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

rgilfert, thanks for the follow up. Sometimes it is very helpful to hear that suggestions worked, or whatever the solution might be to a problem.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote