Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
pjard

Exclamation Fuel Additive

Does anyone have a "favorite" fuel additive they use on a regular basis? I have heard so many different opinions I'm curious.

Last edited by pjard; 06-11-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Mistaken post
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Wolfeboro_Baja

I guess it depends on what you're looking for it to do.

For ethanol fuel stabilization (year round) and storage, I prefer Stabile Marine from Gold Eagle (the blue formula) while others prefer SeaFoam. I used SeaFoam one time with good results so I guess either one would be good. They seem to be the two favorites on this forum. Either one can be bought at most auto parts stores.

For fuel system cleaning, I use either Techron from Chevron or Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner with fuel conditioners. Techron's a little pricier (in the local auto parts stores) but you can get a good price on it at Amazon. Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner is a little more reasonably priced and is also available in the auto parts stores.
pjard (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
SAB1

I pretty much Star Tron. Occassionally run Seafoam as well.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,938 Times in 1,914 Posts
Default Stabile Marine

Stabile Marine blue formula. I run it in everything land or sea!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
dam1960

I use a combo of good old fashion Sta-Bil, Star Tron and Seafoam. Like Franks Red Hot "I put that Sh*t on everything".
dam1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Does anyone have a "favorite" fuel additive they use on a regular basis? I have heard so many different opinions I'm curious.
I add marine Stabil at the end of the year, but the gas dock I use mostly frequent uses Startron (if you are filling on the water, I believe all add something decent)
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have used both Star-tron Enzyme and Sta-bil Marine.... Both work very well and in both case I have long term results...

When Ethanol was first introduced I used Star-tron for probably 3 or 4 years with out any issues.. I would add it in at every fill up of the boat...

Since then I switched to Sta-bil, mainly because I found it more readily available in larger sizes and more reasonably priced. I have had my boat now for 10 years, and haven't had any issues with Fuel breakdown or moisture in the system.

As a side note I have not found it necessary to use any other fuel treatment as both these also work as injector and carb cleaners.

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 06-12-2015 at 02:47 PM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

Default Question sea foam

I've been using Sea Foam for my 6HP 2006 Merc. Perhaps a heavy mixture, but the fuel lines rotted out from the inside and deposited rubber gunk in my carb. The motor is new enough it should be ethanol friendly. Has anyone else had similar problems that might point to too much Sea Foam as the cause?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Mmo

The marina uses Startron in their bulk tanks and still have the cheapest gas on the lake.

I buy Marvel Mystery Oil by the gallon and use it on all my vehicles with no problems at all. In fact I bought a used Jeep with ultra low mileage. Previous owner rarely used the vehicle. On the second tank of gas, the engine was misfiring. I check the plugs and two had carbon deposits between the electrodes. Cleaned the plugs, it ran rough for about a half a tank, then ran smoothly since! Even the gas mileage increase by a couple a miles per gallon. Was it just a coincidence that I add MMO to the mix?

I bought the boat used, and it was 'burning' a quart of oil every 60 gallon of gas. Eventually the boat stop burning oil and running a lot smoother. I no longer see a black scum surface on the rear of the boat. Again, was it another coincidence?

My grandfather and father worked on motors during WWII and Korean War. When I had a tour recently at the NG motor pool in Concord, I spied a 55 gallon drum of MMO. If it is good for the military it must be good for civilian use!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
Rich

You will always get different opinions. This is like asking what brand of beer is best, or who makes a better car, Ford or Chevy! LOL

I have been using StarTron: http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron

I use it at home as well as in my boat.

You can get it for a good price at WalMart. But be aware there are two different strengths of it. One bottle says 'will treat 48 gallons' (1 once treats 6 gallons) and another says 'will treat 128 gallons' (1 ounce treats 16 gallons). The difference is one is more concentrated than the other. There are even stronger concentrations available (1 oz treats 25 gals), but you won't find these at WalMart (perhaps you will at a marina, etc.). This is all the same 'stuff', the only difference is how much you pour in your tank per gallon of gas.

For my boat, I buy the medium concentrated version (1 oz treats 16 gals) as I can put in one 8oz bottle per tank (or 1/2 bottle per tank) depending on how much gas I'm buying at the time: http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-t...ategory_id=585

Oh, with StarTron they say you can't 'over treat' so you don't have to worry about putting in a little too much.

At home (for lawnmowers, generators, motorcycle, snowmobile), I buy the lighter concentration as it's easier to measure out for smaller fuel tanks.