Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
garysanfran

Default Redwood siding stain...Suggestions please...

I have sanded my redwood siding down to a like new raw wood and want to put a protective coating on...A natural, clear stain. So far two have been recommended Benjamin Moore Arborcoat (water based) and Pinofin (oil based). My painter says the Pinofin will cause the tannins to discolor.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Anyones oil based product will work. The discolor is natural. Adding oil to wood will always darken it. Walk away from the water based products. Top coats won't penetrate the cedar deep enough to do much. Recommend the BenMoore oil translucent 326 10

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
winnipiseogee

One of my best friends was convinced to penofin his house and he constantly gripes that it was one of his worst ever mistakes. He is a longtime wooden boat guy who used penofin on all of his boats and loved it. Apparently on his house its become a nightmare. It attacks pollen, dust dirt etc and needs to be powerwashed and redone every other year. If I had $1 for everytime he bitch about penofin.....
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Penofin has a marine oil product which is different then there house oils. Most Exterior wood oils do not leave a film on your house. If your house is rough cut cedar you will see what your friend is seeing. All part of the experience. Tell him to vinyl side his house and the issues will go away. Look into Sikkins SRD. Leaves a bit of a poly top coat on your house. Their log and siding products are outstanding but expensive 110 a gallon retail!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Vinyl siding blues

Seen many in NE. I can write a book!

Best durable siding you can by is fibrecrete or concrete siding. Check out the farm house at Ramblin Vewe. Looks great after 30+ years!

If you are going to go with cedar sidings, western red cedar is the way to go! Beats Eastern by a mile! As for preservative Duckbak is the way to go! http://duckbackstain.com/

I have a customer on Rocky Pond who is going on to her 7th year with western red cedar dipped in duckbak preservatives before installation. I just notice it needs a maintenance coat this year. I can't say I ever seen cedar sidings that requires a maintenance coat every 7 years.