Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Alright....Who moved Gilford?

Good old WMUR showed the town of Gilford on a map nwhere Tuftonboro is located this morning They were trying to show the location of that deadly accident last night.

You would think with a Lakes Region office located above the Lago they would know where the towns are up here.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Good old WMUR showed the town of Gilford on a map nwhere Tuftonboro is located this morning They were trying to show the location of that deadly accident last night.

You would think with a Lakes Region office located above the Lago they would know where the towns are up here.....
I saw that too. What is it they say... "Nobody knows NH like we do"... Yeah, right! They are the most pathetic excuse for a news channel that I have ever seen.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-08-2013), Lyver (09-09-2013), old coot (09-11-2013), SIKSUKR (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wmtw

I miss my daily WMTW fix. Nobody knows Northern NH like WMTW!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Legionnaire70

Thumbs down

WMUR doesn't even know how to proof read or spell check, you really think they know where towns are in NH? Check out their mobile web site, an absolute train wreck and you'd think the stories were typed by a 3 year old...
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Heaven

The on-line WMUR is terrible also, never seen so many ads and pop-ups, and the "articles", , , do they REALLY need to put the last sentence on a second page that needs to load?
Truly a nightmare. I stopped watching them on TV two decades ago and I may do the same with the on-line WMUR as well.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Irish mist

WMUR is the worst news station in New England. That's what you get having just one major TV news source in the state. They are lazy, and get away with it because they can.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Seaplane Pilot

Here is their reply to my message sent to them via their website. I think their excuse is also quite lame!:

Thank you for pointing out our very embarrassing error and for your critical comments.

The error in the map should not have happened and we take full responsibility for that. There are a couple of layers of people who should have caught that but did not. I'd like to further explain how that happened, though keep in mind that I am not making an excuse, I am simply explaining what took place.

You actually just helped us find an error in new mapping software that has been in use for only a couple of days. We have now discovered that some towns are showing up in the wrong locations. We have contacted the company, and in the meantime, we are reviewing locations in the software to prevent other errors from happening.

We always appreciate comments and feedback, even when they are insulting.

-----------------
David Hurlburt
Asst. News Director, WMUR News 9
Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Happy Gourmand

"We always appreciate comments and feedback, even when they are insulting."

Was it necessary to be insulting?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post

How do we know an insulting email was sent by Seaplane Pitlot to WMUR ? He did not post it. Pethaps WMUR did not like to be shown its error ?
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
How do we know an insulting email was sent by Seaplane Pitlot to WMUR ? He did not post it. Pethaps WMUR did not like to be shown its error ?
I doubt they would have alluded to it unless it was, but, in the end, we may never know unless the comment to WMUR gets posted.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

I know SP very well.It probably was not sugar coated.
Seaplane Pilot (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
RailroadJoe

Okay, where was the accident?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post

1) It was I who was insulted by their lack of professionalism and ignorance. This error is inexcusable in my book, especially since they claim to have a "Lakes Region Bureau", which is just two towns away from Gilford. Honestly, I think their bureau is actually a broom closet somewhere in the attic of the Inn at Bay Point.

2) I don't think that you should pass judgement that the comments written to WMUR were "insulting", without even knowing what was written. Perhaps the gent from WMUR was making a general statement, implying that they appreciate the feedback from their viewers, even if it insults them. But only they know what insults them. Maybe simple criticism about their mistakes insults them. Maybe commenting on how much better Fox 25 Boston covers NH than WMUR insults them.

Hopefully they pay more attention to these details and can improve their image moving forward. Kind of reminds me of the time I had to call the Governor's Office a few years ago (Lynch Administration). I was calling about a situation in Moultonborough, and the clerk at the Gov's office asked my how to spell Moultonborough. I lost it on him...Are you kidding me??
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
This'nThat (08-09-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Okay, where was the accident?
On Route 11, right at the scenic lookout near Belknap Point area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #15
Lakesrider

I often wonder why that area is a passing zone. With the view zone and drivers that are distracted looking out the window most of the time, probably not the best place for a passing area at that speed. But hey what do I know!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
winniplayhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I was calling about a situation in Moultonborough, and the clerk at the Gov's office asked my how to spell Moultonborough. I lost it on him...Are you kidding me??
When we registered our first company van at City Hall in Laconia they misspelled Winnipesaukee on the registration!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Merrymeeting

Quote:
I often wonder why that area is a passing zone. With the view zone and drivers that are distracted looking out the window most of the time, probably not the best place for a passing area at that speed. But hey what do I know!
I believe you mean the "former" view zone. If you have been by there recently, you cannot see anything. The trees have grown up, completely obscuring the former scenic view. I know I miss it as I always thought it was one of the prettiest vistas of Winnipesaukee you could see while driving. I hope that some one of these days, the state sees fit to restore it.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
Lakesrider

Yeah I have noticed that as well. Too bad too. But then again why wold anyone do anything about that? Tourist dollars mean nothing I guess....Just the trees.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
RailroadJoe

The trees may be on private propertty and the state will have to get permission to cut the tops.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
Lyver

Default Trees on Private property

Yes, those trees are on private property, that's why they haven't been trimmed in the past 3-4 years. The last time they were trimmed, there were still some large trees obstructing the view, but since they are in the backyard of the guy who lives on Scenic Dr, they can't touch those.

Also, I agree that area should NOT be a passing zone! With traffic slowing down to turn in to the hiking trails, the scenic view, Brookside Crossing, houses and even Scenic Dr/Belkanp Point Rd, there should be a center turn lane. I love how it took the state several weeks to paint the lines last summer after it was paved. I run along Rt. 11 a few times a week and many times there were cars driving on the shoulder, cause they thought it was another lane... Several times I had to jump into the grass to avoid being hit!
Lyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #21
KTO

Sometimes I wonder if anything ever makes any of you happy, but then I remind myself that no, nothing seems to. Except complaining about it on this forum where you feed off of other people agreeing with you.

Knowing several friends of mine at WMUR and how they conduct their daily lives and how television has evolved over the past 10, 5, and 2 years should really make you consider what's to blame.

I have seen a number of Boston stations make this same mistake. Boston, the 7th largest TV market in the nation (and for some reason WMUR fits in this market with another ABC affiliate in WCVB), makes the same mistake that a little NH station makes. Why? Simple. People demand immediate answers, journalists serve the people (any good journalist will be loyal to his or her people before his or her company), and thus stations attempt to keep up.

In the coming months, WFXT (Fox 25) will be adding a 5pm newscast in addition to the their already overwhelming number of broadcasts. Local news is becoming more like CNN - 24 hour cable news. It's crazy and some (or maybe all) stations don't have the means to keep up with demand. Print media is dying, but television probably isn't far behind it, and stations are doing what they can to keep up with delivering the news. Yes, I absolutely have my issues with some outlets, too.

But the map thing seems a little ridiculous and I felt like ranting. I ask you all to recall the NBC Nightly News (a national program) couldn't show NH accurately on a map. It happens.

http://www.examiner.com/article/nbc-...mpshire-on-map

Live the life of a local television reporter for a year. Get paid less than a teacher and work year round. Not to bash teachers of course, just a pay perspective.

Next time, before complaining about ANYTHING in your life. Stop for a second, breathe, and ask if it's REALLY worth complaining about. (Hint: it's not)
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTO For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (09-11-2013), secondcurve (09-26-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
old coot
Deceased Member

WMUR-TV is in New Hampshire not Massachusetts and should know where New Hampshire towns, cities and counties are. Newscasters should know how to pronounce them all too, even the ones they find tough, like Coos and Contoocook.
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #23
Lakesrider

Yep and WMUR is playing the same Inside Edition episode right now that they played last night...Goody, Goody! Awesome Job WMUR!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
Misty Blue

Default Them were the good ole days...

I remember when WMUR was located on Elm street across from NH insurance.

Every day at 4:30 Uncle Gus (Brenier) would have the Uncle Gus show for the local kiddies. I won the most freckles contest and my brother won at simon says! Uncle Gus would play games and show Popeye cartoons until 5 PM. He would then run into the bathroom, take off his Uncle Gus hat and put on a clip-on tie and coat to read the five PM news. During station break he would run back into the bathroom to take off the jacket and tie and put on his Atlantic Red Ball gas station hat and be the Atlantic Red Ball weather man. He has already gotten the weather dope from Don Kent in Boston.

So let's not be so critical. Rember, Uncle Gus is watching you....

Misty Blue

PS. I delivered the Union Leader to them and they tipped me 50 cents a week. Big money in the 60s.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #25
secondcurve

Quote:
Yep and WMUR is playing the same Inside Edition episode right now that they played last night...Goody, Goody! Awesome Job WMUR!
The issue is these stations don't make anywhere near the money they used to. Their ad revenue is substantially lower than it was years ago due to intense competition with multiple media sources that weren't in existence years ago. Hence, less profitability equates to a lower quality product. That being said, the relative quality of output fromTV stations and newspapers is still good in comparison to the hit their profitability has taken. It is kind of simple.

It's unfortunate to get so upset by little mistakes. Life is way too short!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #26
Lakesrider

I'm not "Upset" about it....However showing the same show two days in a row in the same time slot is no "little mistake". I call that a whopper of a mistake. I mean seriously how do you not notice that the show that is being aired is the same one you aired the night before? I mean I just shrugged it off with a laugh, changed the channel and watched the Maine station. Not something the marketing department of WMUR should want to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #27
Scott's Yott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
I remember when WMUR was located on Elm street across from NH insurance.

Every day at 4:30 Uncle Gus (Brenier) would have the Uncle Gus show for the local kiddies. I won the most freckles contest and my brother won at simon says! Uncle Gus would play games and show Popeye cartoons until 5 PM. He would then run into the bathroom, take off his Uncle Gus hat and put on a clip-on tie and coat to read the five PM news. During station break he would run back into the bathroom to take off the jacket and tie and put on his Atlantic Red Ball gas station hat and be the Atlantic Red Ball weather man. He has already gotten the weather dope from Don Kent in Boston.

So let's not be so critical. Rember, Uncle Gus is watching you....

Misty Blue

PS. I delivered the Union Leader to them and they tipped me 50 cents a week. Big money in the 60s.
I won the name the states contest twice!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott's Yott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #28
Merrymeeting

Quote:
I mean seriously how do you not notice that the show that is being aired is the same one you aired the night before?
Perhaps when it's a content-free, sappy, tabloid "news" show of questionable content to begin with?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (09-29-2013)