Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
ApS

Angry Okay...What would YOU have done?

Sunday was a quiet afternoon on the lake at 12:30PM, with only a few surface ruffles to indicate any wind, and only a few boats.

Occupied in my driveway—and coming from the lake—I heard the following very loud call:

Quote:
HELP! I need HELP!
I turned to see what was happening, and heard again:

Quote:
HELP! I need HELP! Oh My ******* God! I need HELP!
Then...

Quote:
I need a Witness! I need HELP! I need a witness!
Ambling down my steep slope I reached my dock and saw—about a ½-mile away—a small, dark, greenish boat that was being approached by a 20' red aluminum boat I'd seen fishing earlier. (Blue canvas top).

I picked up my telephone and called the NHMP, relating what I'd just heard and seen. The NHMP dispatcher said the NHMP "were on my side of the lake—and were on their way".

The red-boat with its two rescuers touched the smaller boat, then backed off: A conversation was held towards the back of the boat. I heard only mumbles from the "rescuee", and couldn't make out any substance to any of it.

Now I'm concerned the NHMP may encounter someone who's crazy!

A few minutes later, the "rescuee" takes off for The Broads. (I call the NHMP back to advise of his action, and of my suspicions). Maybe the explanation for "The Emergency" will appear here.

I've since figured out what "The Emergency" was—I think...and if I'm right—this "rescuee" owes an apology to every person on (or near) the lake who could have responded.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Airwaves

So what did you figure out was happening? Yes, I would have called the NHMP as well.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Airwaves For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-04-2010)
Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Sounds like that 1st boat actually got that huge & legendary Lake Winnipesaukee lake trout, known as SMILEY, on the hook of a fish'n line. Good thing the MP still has their Coast Guard UTB here, and available for emergency tows, so it could tow that giant lake trout over to McDonald's to be sliced & diced into 3500 fish-a-ma-jig sandwiches for $2.49 each plus 9% NH tax!

Save Smiley for the taxidermist, before it's too late!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Pepper

Question what happened?

APS can you be a little more clear about what you think was happening? I am completely confused. Thanks!
BroadHopper (05-03-2010), ishoot308 (05-03-2010), Jonas Pilot (05-03-2010), LIforrelaxin (05-03-2010), Lucky1 (05-11-2010), nvtngtxpyr (05-04-2010), OCDACTIVE (05-03-2010), SIKSUKR (05-03-2010), SteveA (05-04-2010), White Rook (05-24-2010), XCR-700 (05-03-2010)
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
sa meredith

Default guess

At first, I thought perhaps there was a dispute of some kind and boat 2 was attacking boat 1...road rage on the water...
But, upon further review...the "oh, my f**** god" comment shows excitement, not fear.
Add in the "I need a witness" part...and I would say that boat 1 simply caught an insanely large fish, he was having trouble landing it, and wanted a witness to see the size of said fish.
However...very poor choice of words for the speaker.
All just a guess on my part. 12:30 is not the ideal fishing hour.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
ApS

Post Crying Wolf...

Exhaust-pipe noise, fishermen-voices and Loon-calls (!) carry very far over water. At lunch-time Sunday, it was calm and quiet on the lake. Even through these heavily-forested properties, it couldn't be determined that "the emergency" was one-half-mile away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
APS can you be a little more clear about what you think was happening? I am completely confused. Thanks!
FLL nailed it—right off the bat! ("Thanks" to Airwaves for confirming a reasonable response—sa meredith got in good points, too).

FLL's possibility was relayed to the NHMP by my second call, but the boater had used such volume and urgency I just couldn't just stand around...telephone in hand. This early in the season—with no boat—even my neighbors don't have "basic boats" in the water to row to a rescue!

Physical assault , medical emergency , sinking in frigid waters , but the last thought to a cry for help was "Big Fish".
Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Parsed

APS, somehow you managed to parse your own text

Thanks for the explananation SA!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
At first, I thought perhaps there was a dispute of some kind and boat 2 was attacking boat 1...road rage on the water...
But, upon further review...the "oh, my f**** god" comment shows excitement, not fear.
Add in the "I need a witness" part...and I would say that boat 1 simply caught an insanely large fish, he was having trouble landing it, and wanted a witness to see the size of said fish.
However...very poor choice of words for the speaker.
All just a guess on my part. 12:30 is not the ideal fishing hour.
Thank you for clearing up this witch hunt... The fisherman may not have realized his voice was carrying as far and perhaps was yelling out of excitement to another person on his boat to help him with a fishing net and such. Poor choice of words but not something to convict them for. It was nice of the other boat to check out what was going on. Still shows how helpful other boaters can be. It was good they were there to check there was not an emergency before jumping the gun.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Airwaves

APS wrote in part:
Quote:
FLL's possibility was relayed to the NHMP by my second call, but the boater had used such volume and urgency I just couldn't just stand around...telephone in hand. This early in the season—with no boat—even my neighbors don't have "basic boats" in the water to row to a rescue!
Did the NHMP respond at all?

I would expect that they would/should have just to make certain and your second phone call would have just given added information about the incident. Like the local police responding to 9-1-1 calls even though someone calls back and says the kids were playing with the phone.

This brings to mind an incident a few years back in which the Coast Guard made a determination that a MayDay call was a hoax and did not launch a SAR, turns out the call was real and foks died. Now the Coast Guard launchs SARS on every distress call and seeks help from other boaters.

This is also why the Coast Guard take hoax calls very seriously and they are prosecuted. They have already started an investigation of a hoax call this boating season in Maine.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
ApS

Cool This Case is Sol-Ved...

(Apologies to Peter Sellers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
"...Did the NHMP respond at all...?"
I checked back with the NHMP today. There was a long interrogation of me (!)—that ended with their asking, "Who wants to know?"

My explanation was a little involved—and ended with my saying, I didn't actually know who "wanted to know".

However, their ears perked up when I mentioned this forum!

They checked the logbook for my name, date, time, and descriptions.

The MPs had stopped the boater, and immediately-summarily-forthwith got the explanation :

Quote:
"I was talking to friends".
Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
Gilligan

Thumbs up You did well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Okay...What would YOU have done?
I would have done the same thing you did under those circumstances. Thank you for being concerned and following up.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
wildwoodfam

Default Proves a point...

...that sounds, voices and conversations travel great distances on the lake - and whether or not you are in the mood to share your conversations, you are generally doing so, especially on quiet days (and especially nights!) I am often amazed at what I can hear sitting on my dock or beach as boats pass along off shore! BE CAREFUL - people may not be listening, but they can hear you!

BTW APS - I would have done the same thing!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
...that sounds, voices and conversations travel great distances on the lake - and whether or not you are in the mood to share your conversations, you are generally doing so, especially on quiet days (and especially nights!) I am often amazed at what I can hear sitting on my dock or beach as boats pass along off shore! BE CAREFUL - people may not be listening, but they can hear you!

BTW APS - I would have done the same thing!
And BTW, when folks are out on the boat traveling at 35mph, be careful what you yell to be heard above the boat noise. We can hear you a quarter mile away.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
Yosemite Sam

Maybe it's me but I have a real hard time understanding what APS wrote and what the outcome finally was.
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Maybe it's me but I have a real hard time understanding what APS wrote and what the outcome finally was.

I just read this whole post and now I have a headache and need to take a nap.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (05-24-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #16
ApS

Smile The Case Is "Clewsed"...

(Apologies to Inspector Clouseau).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Followup—one month to the day:

Yesterday—in super-great sailing weather—I encountered a familiar red boat deep-trolling in The Broads.

Our paths were slowly converging anyway, so I sailed closer—pointed over my shoulder—and asked, "Were you fishing over there last month?".

Red Boat: Very likely.
ApS:....... Did you hear a call for help?
Red Boat: You called it in?
ApS:.........It was a call for help. >> shrug <<
Red Boat: That was me.
ApS:........What was the reason?
Red Boat: I'd caught a 10-pound Lake Trout.
ApS:........Sounds big...just asking...thanks for the info.

(FLL got it ex-act-ly right).
Old 06-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #17
Shedwannabe

This whole thread is a great example of what makes the Lakes Region such a wonderful place... and I'm not even a boater.

Reading it again and I'm all smiles...
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote