Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Pine Island Guy

Default Review from Friday at the Hooksett rest area

On the way north Friday afternoon, we stopped at the new rest area... Good news, it seemed to be functioning flawlessly!

The parking lots were full, but still spaces open (certainly not as bad as the mall at Christmas!). Gas pumps the same, with a few cars waiting (I've seen a lot worse at the exit 23 Irving station). Liquor store was packed, hard to remember how they managed in the old store. All cashiers on duty, and a few people in each line. No lines, no waiting in the men's restroom (Pine Island Girl confirmed the same for the women's room).

The food options were plentiful from the "diner". It is set up so that you can either eat in with service, or order to go and eat in the open area or take it with you. Looked to be the same menu as the Tilton Diner. The "general store" was crowded with folks buying beer, soda, chips, butts, etc. They also have a section of pre-made sandwiches, all fresh that day and made with Boar's Head deli products. I had a ham & swiss and it was yumbo.

All in all, it was humming along well at 3pm, plenty of staff on hand and people seemed to like it. My unscientific observation based on traffic and "busy'ness" is that any time spent in lines there will be far surpassed sitting in traffic a bit farther north going through the Concord stretch of '93.

Happy Memorial Day, what a beautiful weekend so far!! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (05-31-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Gas prices...

Gas prices at the rest area are usually 1-2 cents per gallon cheaper than the prices in Alton!!!! $2.62 vs Alton at $2.63 the other day.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Gas prices at the rest area are usually 1-2 cents per gallon cheaper than the prices in Alton!!!! $2.62 vs Alton at $2.63 the other day.
Even if you're filling up an F150 piggy 37 gallon tank, you'd save $.37. There's no way I'd deal with rest area traffic, etc. for that.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Only made the comparison...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Even if you're filling up an F150 piggy 37 gallon tank, you'd save $.37. There's no way I'd deal with rest area traffic, etc. for that.
... to show the gas prices are pretty reasonable for being at a rest area on the interstate.

Alton gas prices are very high. The circle prices are 5-7 cents per gallon more expensive than the Airport Deli prices in Gilford, with the same company owning both, and the tanker comes through Alton to get to Gilford. I am usually going elsewhere anyway, and stop to fill up when I can get the gas for many cents less. May be 70 cents savings per tank, but where I put over 25,000 miles on my car annually, it adds up.

Back to the Hooksett rest area. Sorry for being a little off topic.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
... to show the gas prices are pretty reasonable for being at a rest area on the interstate.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Misha888

Default Gas Prices 5/27/2015

Regular $2.69
Premium $2.99

Mobil premium in Gilford $2.87.

It is all pennies until you drive like used to at around 360 miles a day. Thank goodness that is over.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default GasBuddy

The app is a god send for road warriors. I normally fill up on 106 in Loudon and lately Belmont. Gas is a lot cheaper off 93.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha888 View Post
Regular $2.69
Premium $2.99

Mobil premium in Gilford $2.87.

It is all pennies until you drive like used to at around 360 miles a day. Thank goodness that is over.
Regular at the Irving rest area at $2.69 is 5 cents more than at the Irving at Exit 10, and 3 cents more than the Irving at Exit 13. Very good price considering it is at a highway rest area.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Misha888

Default Happy . . .

that it was there. Left Hampstead, turned on 93 (in 93 degree heat) and remembered I needed gas. Knew I could make it to that location with a few miles to spare. I hate that feeling, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Regular at the Irving rest area at $2.69 is 5 cents more than at the Irving at Exit 10, and 3 cents more than the Irving at Exit 13. Very good price considering it is at a highway rest area.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:26 AM   #10
glennsteely

Default Yea it is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadhopper View Post
the app is a god send for road warriors. I normally fill up on 106 in loudon and lately belmont. Gas is a lot cheaper off 93.
it is one of the greatest apps ever!! Use it every day!!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
Denny Crane

Default Food Review

This is all I got, but when I was a kid my mother warned me of buying food at a rest area, especially the packaged sandwiches with mayo! I was heading home southbound one day and decided to buy a tunafish sandwich from the deli. What did I expect? Every time I am driving North I can't wait to get to the lake so I try not to make many stops. If I am hungry I know now I will wait until I get to the Lakeside Deli! I will certainly stop if I need gas or to pick up a six pack of something that reminds me of north country, Long Trail or Woodstock, then switch to the cheap stuff later.
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote