Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
idiotinakayak

Default Renting or buying a sailing dinghy

I've been preparing for a year or so to buy a Laser or RS Aero or similar tiny single-handed sailing dinghy and sail it on the lake.

But before I pull the trigger...

The truth is, I don't want to own a dinghy. I've got a trailer but I come from far away and I'd rather not tow anything. I only come to the lake once or twice a year and I don't have a good place to store the dinghy off-season.

Last year I called every boat yard and sailing club I could think of to see if any of them rent dinghies, but no.

So before I buy one, I wanted to ask you fine people: Does anyone know where I can rent a single-handed sailing dinghy for use on Winnipesaukee? Or is there some other option that can save me from being a boat owner?

Thanks!
idiotinakayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
SummerIslander

Hmm, maybe an alternative is to make sure you rent a house on the water that includes a small sailboat as an amenity, and willing to let you use it. Alternatively find a friendly neighbor where you are staying who will let you use theirs.

They make wheel kits for Sunfish/Lasers that substitute for a trailer, but you're still towing an object. And the boats are kind of heavy (120-140 lbs) for today's car/SUV rooftops, unless you have a pickup with a cap and commercial-strength racks, or full-size SUV (like Suburban) and some strong helpers to hoist it up there.

Decades ago sunfish/sailfish rentals were common, but I think high breakage rates and lack of skill/interest killed that market. As a small boat sailor myself, I sympathize.
SummerIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Joebon

Wolfeboro has a sailboat share program through the boat museum: https://www.wolfeboronh.us/parks-rec...haring-program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
FlyingScot

More than a dinghy, but maybe worth a call.

http://faysboatyard.com/rentals/
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Yipes! That Aero is COOL! I had not seen one before. You're not going to find anything like that to rent on Winni.

So I'm hoping you'll buy one and sail it in Moultonborough Bay where I can cheer you on
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 AM   #6
fatlazyless

To my surprise, apparently even the Squam Lakes Sailing Association no longer rents out small sailboats. Maybe I'm incorrect on this, but their rental list shows kayaks, and canoes, but no sailboats. Believe they did rent out small sail boats last year?

No sail boat rentals on the big lake ........ oh well? There's the Corinthian Yacht Club in Wolfeboro, and the Winnipesaukee Sailing Club in Gilford? Believe that the Town of Meredith discontinued their youth sailing program that used to happen every summer in Meredith Bay.

I own like five junky, beater, repaired, old, craigslist small sail boats, from 9' to 11'10" to 11'11" to 14' to 16' ...... and have not got enough time to sail them all, so's maybe I should start up the FatLazyLess Sailing Club on Meredith Neck ........ ayuh? Plus, my neighbor has an incredible 32' Contessa-32 yacht that was sailed from England to Connecticut ...... it doesn't get sailed much at all, and just swings on its' mooring out front ...... a thoroughbred blue water sailor like that wants to be sailed......... it weighs 16,000-lbs ..... my little boats weigh about 150-lbs ....the 16'er is 500-lbs ..... .so's maybe we can start renting them all out ........ yikes and .......ho-ho-ho ...... sail ho! ......and three sheets to the wind!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-14-2018 at 05:41 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
idiotinakayak

Thank you all for the encouraging and helpful replies!

Good point about finding a rental where the sailboat is included. That really would be the perfect solution.

If I remember correctly I called Fays and all those yacht clubs and sailing clubs last year, with no luck.

@FatLazyLess, it does sound like you could start your own club!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
ApS

Default Send a Private Message...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerIslander View Post
Hmm, maybe an alternative is to make sure you rent a house on the water that includes a small sailboat as an amenity, and willing to let you use it. Alternatively find a friendly neighbor where you are staying who will let you use theirs.

They make wheel kits for Sunfish/Lasers that substitute for a trailer, but you're still towing an object. And the boats are kind of heavy (120-140 lbs) for today's car/SUV rooftops, unless you have a pickup with a cap and commercial-strength racks, or full-size SUV (like Suburban) and some strong helpers to hoist it up there.

Decades ago sunfish/sailfish rentals were common, but I think high breakage rates and lack of skill/interest killed that market. As a small boat sailor myself, I sympathize.
Idiotinakayak, send me a PM.

To the question of cottage + sailboat, a neighbor might have the answer for August-on!
Old 08-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
idiotinakayak

Nobody was able to save me from myself, so I bought my own sailing dinghy. I love it! It's an RS Zest. Not very big, but it can fit two adults or be sailed single-handed. I can't put it on the trailer by myself, but my wife and I can do it, awkwardly.

We're in Winter Harbor this week. Look for the bright yellow sail! And thanks again for the responses.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
FlyingScot

Perfect!
Old 08-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
loonguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotinakayak View Post
Nobody was able to save me from myself, so I bought my own sailing dinghy. I love it! It's an RS Zest. Not very big, but it can fit two adults or be sailed single-handed. I can't put it on the trailer by myself, but my wife and I can do it, awkwardly.

We're in Winter Harbor this week. Look for the bright yellow sail! And thanks again for the responses.
You have piqued my interest. I have been interested in acquiring a small sailing dinghy, but was concerned that the water depth and hazards near Lee's Mills were prohibitive. Do you think your new acquisition might be a good fit for me? What is the draft?
loonguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
ApS

Thumbs up 'Sure is a Bright Yellow! Also, You've Got a Jib...

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotinakayak View Post
Nobody was able to save me from myself, so I bought my own sailing dinghy. I love it! It's an RS Zest. Not very big, but it can fit two adults or be sailed single-handed. I can't put it on the trailer by myself, but my wife and I can do it, awkwardly. We're in Winter Harbor this week. Look for the bright yellow sail! And thanks again for the responses.
I could see it all day yesterday.

This morning—while rescuing a lost paddleboat—is the first time I've seen the sail(s) lowered.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I saw you this morning. It looks very pretty.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #14
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
You have piqued my interest. I have been interested in acquiring a small sailing dinghy, but was concerned that the water depth and hazards near Lee's Mills were prohibitive. Do you think your new acquisition might be a good fit for me? What is the draft?
Be brave! As long as your boat has a retractable center board (rather than a fixed keel) underwater hazards are not very hazardous for you or the boat. WAY less risky than an outboard. Just for reference, a large dinghy, such as a Flying Scot, has a max draft of 4'; a Sunfish is <3'. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #15
loonguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Be brave! As long as your boat has a retractable center board (rather than a fixed keel) underwater hazards are not very hazardous for you or the boat. WAY less risky than an outboard. Just for reference, a large dinghy, such as a Flying Scot, has a max draft of 4'; a Sunfish is <3'. Good luck!
I am thinking small dinghy for 2 or 3 persons primarily to introduce the grand-kids to sailing. Any recommendations?
loonguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #16
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonguy View Post
I am thinking small dinghy for 2 or 3 persons primarily to introduce the grand-kids to sailing. Any recommendations?
The two I referenced would both be great--it depends on preferences and budget.

The Sunfish is classic--super easy to sail, store, etc; and lots of fun. Probably too small for 3 people. I would guess this is less quick but more stable than the OP's boat. Costs a few thousand dollars new at Fay's Boat Yard.

I went with the Flying Scot for a few reasons--more comfortable for a tall person, it sails dry, and it can easily hold 4 or 5. Still very fun and easy to sail, even for a beginner single handed, and very stable despite it's quickness. But much pricier--mid 20's for a new one; you can probably find a very good used one for half that amount or less. Check out flyingscot.com, fssa.com, and YouTube--I have found their sales pitch to be completely accurate. PM me for more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-24-2018), loonguy (08-17-2018), persamp (08-28-2018)