Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Tired of Waiting

Default Know the symptoms, it could save a life

November 20, 2013 was a rough day for Mrs ToW and Myself.

I had gone hunting across from the house and was 1/4 mile in the woods when I knew something was wrong. I'm a trained first responder and all the training I've had was key for my survival. Yes, I was having a heart attack.

It started out as a slight squeezing pressure inside the chest. I sat down thinking it might pass as a simple Angina attack. But after a few seconds I felt the "slightest" sensation of a tooth ache in the left jaw. That told me I was truly in trouble. Less than a minute had passed so far.

I took out the cell phone but had no reception and Mrs ToW was still in bed so the two way radio at the house was not on. I set a plan and executed it. I used my GPS to take a direct line to the road and watched the phone until I had reception. As soon as the phone worked I called Mrs ToW and had her activate 911. I needed to do this has she had the Topo map of where I was and could give it to the responders if I didn't make it out of the woods. I told her where I was and the path I was taking out. About 10 minutes had passed so far.

I made it to the road edge just before the police arrived. That's when I broke into the cold sweat. 15 minutes so far. The police started O2.

Long story short: The ambulance arrived, packaged me up and took me to the best cardiac care hospital in the area. about 40 minutes so far but the last 20 with O2, IV and asprin on board.

The hospital was amazing. They had me in the O.R. in under 5 minutes of arrival and placed a stent in less than 15 minutes of arrival. I had a blockage in my Right Coronary Artery.

The overall results, because of I my fast recognition and action on my part they were able to abate any major damage to the heart. According to all the tests my heart is functioning in the middle of the normal range even though there is some slight damage to the mussel.

I guess the moral of the story is know the symptoms of a heart attack and don't hesitate to activate 911. The doctor at the hospital told me he wished all people had my training. He could save so many more lives if folks would react as I had at the earliest sings.

And for all you outdoors people, be sure to leave a Topo with someone of where you are going to be.
Although we didn't need it this time it could have been instrumental in getting me help if I had not made it to the road.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (12-07-2013), DRH (12-07-2013), Just Sold (12-08-2013), riverat (12-08-2013), Slickcraft (12-08-2013), trfour (12-06-2013), Waterbaby (12-06-2013), winnasake (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Pineedles

Glad to hear you are alright! I too hunt and it can be a scary situation when you're all alone in the woods with a medical emergency. You kept your wits about you and you survived.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Tired of Waiting (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Glad you made it!

Your training paid off. I should do a refresher as my EMT training was 30 years ago and I am sure lots have change.

I am amaze that you were able to walk out of this situation. Keeping a level head also helps as many will panic and do the wrong thing.

I change my diet considerably since by blood pressure went up, cholesterol is borderline and my blood sugar is up. So far I am doing good without drugs. I listen to my PCP who is also a cardiologist when he recommend 90mg of aspirin daily to keep inflammation down, avoid any hydrogenated oil, even partial, and avoid Omega-6 oils. These are the best solutions to avoid buildup. Of course a healthy life style is important.

I was amazed how many processed foods I take for granted all these years are bad for me.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Nice job.... Did you find out what might have caused it yet?
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
BaileyBecca

God Bless!
Tired of Waiting (12-06-2013), Waterbaby (12-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
PaugusBayFireFighter

Default Aspirin is the first thing you should do after 911

If you suspect a heart attack, chewing a 325mg aspirin will DRAMATICALLY increase your survivability, I can't stress this enough...it's the very first thing the medics or ER staff would do. It's easy to carry and you should have aspirin readily available. Pocket books, glove box, wallet (buy the single dose pack for a wallet, it it breaks when you sit on it, who cares)...you want it in powder form anyway...if it turns out to not be heart related...you still did something beneficial to your body...so no worries!
I've been taking 81mg aspirin for over 20 years...the article I am posting is just one of many recent studies on the 2,000 year old "wonder drug"....read it, then get on an aspirin regimen.

"Developed in 1897 by the German chemist Felix Hoffmann, aspirin, or acetylsalicylic acid, has long proved its value as an analgesic. Two millenniums before that, Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, used its active ingredient — which he extracted from the bark and leaves of the willow tree — to help alleviate pain and fevers.

Since then, we’ve gained insight into both the biological mechanism and the effects of this chemical compound. Many high-quality research studies have confirmed that the use of aspirin substantially reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. Indeed, the evidence for this is so abundant and clear that, in 2009, the United States Preventive Services Task Force strongly recommended that men ages 45 to 79, and women ages 55 to 79, take a low-dose aspirin pill daily, with the exception for those who are already at higher risk for gastrointestinal bleeding or who have certain other health issues. (As an anticoagulant, aspirin can increase the risk of bleeding — a serious and potentially deadly issue for some people.)

New reports about aspirin’s benefits in cancer prevention are just as convincing. In 2011, British researchers, analyzing data from some 25,000 patients in eight long-term studies, found that a small, 75-milligram dose of aspirin taken daily for at least five years reduced the risk of dying from common cancers by 21 percent.

In March, The Lancet published two more papers bolstering the case for this ancient drug. The first, reviewing five long-term studies involving more than 17,000 patients, found that a daily low-dose aspirin lowered the risk of getting adenocarcinomas — common malignant cancers that develop in the lungs, colon and prostate — by an average of 46 percent.

In the second, researchers at Oxford and other centers compared patients who took aspirin with those who didn’t in 51 different studies. Investigators found that the risk of dying from cancer was 37 percent lower among those taking aspirin for at least five years. In a subsection of the study group, three years of daily aspirin use reduced the risk of developing cancer by almost 25 percent when compared with the aspirin-free control group.

The data are screaming out to us. Aspirin, one of the oldest remedies on the planet, helps prevent heart disease through what is likely to be a variety of mechanisms, including keeping blood clots from forming. And experts believe it helps prevent cancer, in part, by dampening an immune response called inflammation.

For some men over the age of 45 and women over 55, the risks of taking aspirin outweigh any benefits — and patients should talk with their doctors before taking any medication, including something as familiar as aspirin."
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Tired of Waiting

Default blockage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Nice job.... Did you find out what might have caused it yet?
I had a 98% block in the Right Coronary Artery.

ToW
Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Tired of Waiting

[QUOTE=PaugusBayFireFighter;215849]If you suspect a heart attack, chewing a 325mg aspirin will DRAMATICALLY increase your survivability, I can't stress this enough...it's the very first thing the medics or ER staff would do. It's easy to carry and you should have aspirin readily available. Pocket books, glove box, wallet (buy the single dose pack for a wallet, it it breaks when you sit on it, who cares)...
QUOTE]

You are right, I know this from my first responder training. However I have never had a heart issue and am in good shape. I looked in my fanny pack at my meds bottle but only had antacid and Aleve. I used to carry asprin but switched to aleve. I'll have Asprin from now on though.

ToW
The Following User Says Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Tired of Waiting

Default Focus is the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Your training paid off. I should do a refresher as my EMT training was 30 years ago and I am sure lots have change.

I am amaze that you were able to walk out of this situation. Keeping a level head also helps as many will panic and do the wrong thing.
Once I knew what was going on I formulated a plan and focused on completing it. Focus will keep your mind on track and keep you from the panic mode.

And yes my training did pay off. I have had to use it many times on others but this time it was myself that I was able to help.

ToW
Old 12-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Pineedles

Did you employ vigorous coughing, as I have heard helps?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Jeanzb1

Miraculous that you were able to keep your wits about you and carry out a plan in a crisis situation. Congratulations! You saved your own life!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Scary story. Good job!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
"Cough CPR" is not recommended by the American Heart Assosiation for the public. I've never seen that maneuver employed in the 25 years I've been responding to cardiac events.
The best thing you can do is call 911, stay calm and chew a few baby aspirin.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I guess I should be happy then that I have to take aspirin everyday with my Lisinopril and Metaprolol since my heart surgery.....

BTW thanks for bringing this whole subject up. Some of us are getting older and some are already there.....It becomes much more crucial to pay attention to what and how we are feeling. I know that I am pretty stubborn about not going to the Dr., but after having had to have heart surgery that all changed for me. Of course Ocare might make me revert back to my old ways.....LOL.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Tired of Waiting

Default Not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
That process is not recomended. However I had a good heart beat and did not pass out so CPR was not required. All I did was move slowly so as not to strain the heart as I moved out to the road. I rested twice during the treck out but only to ensure my breathing and heart rate were calm.

ToW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-06-2013), Pineedles (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #16
Tired of Waiting

Default all in the training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
Miraculous that you were able to keep your wits about you and carry out a plan in a crisis situation. Congratulations! You saved your own life!

Thanks Jeanzb1,

It was all due to training, both my first responder and past military. When well trained and a crisis appears training automatically kicks in and takes over.

My first responder training took care of the medical half and the military training took over for the planning of how to get out to get help.

ToW
Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
rrr

You and your family certainly had something to be thankful for last week! I'm very glad you're feeling better. Thank you for the education - think I'll stop for aspirin on the way home.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
salty dog

Truly an amazing story! So glad it turned out well for you and your wife. Of course it couldn't have happened at home where it would have been easier! Certainly proves you just never know. I'm sure it must have been scary/very unnerving to have realized what was happening to you in the middle of the woods. I, like other posters, have been taking baby aspirin for years along with my Lisinopril. I guess I didn't realize just how important it can be. Congratulations on having known what to do in an emergency situation.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #19
Just Sold

TOW I am so glad that you came through this scary event. Your training served you well. I hope for a long and happy life ahead for you.

I know all too well what it feels like. In March of 2009 I had a massive heart attack and even got the paddles on the table in the OR as the got raedy to insert a stent in the same locaion as in your heart attack. I did not pay attention to the signs that occuired over the week preceding the heart attack and that almost cost me my life. Today I have additional issues as in Heart Failure and suffer from severe, at times, angina. Had the heart cath done in Nov and my stent is 40% blocked. But guess what................ medical protocol will not allow the Dr's to do anything until it reaches 70%. Wow so much fun. Today my Dr doubled the long acting nitro I take daily and I certainly hope that works because the angina is not fun when it is almost all the time.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
Tired of Waiting

Default baby asprin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr View Post
You and your family certainly had something to be thankful for last week! I'm very glad you're feeling better. Thank you for the education - think I'll stop for aspirin on the way home.
Just get the baby asprin 81 mg. If you think it's needed take 4 and chew them. If it's not a heart problem you won't have an issue, if it is you may well save the life.

Tow
The Following User Says Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (12-07-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
jrc

Thanks for the story Tow, great thinking and great discipline on your part. Good to hear your doing better.

Now the big question, will you still hunt alone? I mean after everything is stabilized, how far away from civilization will you go?

After reading about GW Bush have his heart issues, I mean he was healthy as a horse, it gives pause. I love to hike in places where there are seldom crowds and usually no roads. I'm at the right age for issues and have family history, but I'm not ready to give up.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
dogma

good question about hiking/hunting alone..nothing like it for peace and being alone out there..I hike alone, in my 60s and in fair shape. Good dialogue about how to do what we want but have the tools and resources to be prepared..looking forward to more tips and for sure going to go buy aspirin !
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
TOW I am so glad that you came through this scary event. Your training served you well. I hope for a long and happy life ahead for you.

I know all too well what it feels like. In March of 2009 I had a massive heart attack and even got the paddles on the table in the OR as the got raedy to insert a stent in the same locaion as in your heart attack. I did not pay attention to the signs that occuired over the week preceding the heart attack and that almost cost me my life. Today I have additional issues as in Heart Failure and suffer from severe, at times, angina. Had the heart cath done in Nov and my stent is 40% blocked. But guess what................ medical protocol will not allow the Dr's to do anything until it reaches 70%. Wow so much fun. Today my Dr doubled the long acting nitro I take daily and I certainly hope that works because the angina is not fun when it is almost all the time.
Are you happy with your cardiologist? If you would like another opinion feel free to PM me.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
Cindido

Default Know the Symptoms....

TOW - What a frightening experience. Thank you for sharing your story and knowledge. I will continue to take a "baby" aspirin daily and will also begin carrying a bottle in my purse. So glad you're doing well!
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
HellRaZoR004

I'm very glad you made it out okay.

It was certainly a good idea to call your wife first as she knew exactly where you were. Any reason why you didn't call 911 after getting off the phone with her? They could have picked up your coordinates and known where you were in the event you had passed out. The alternative would have been a search based on a map and a general area of where you were headed.

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate just asking the question. Again, I'm glad you were able to recognize the symptoms and passed this valuable information on to the rest of the group.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #26
Tired of Waiting

Default Good question, my answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I'm very glad you made it out okay.

It was certainly a good idea to call your wife first as she knew exactly where you were. Any reason why you didn't call 911 after getting off the phone with her? They could have picked up your coordinates and known where you were in the event you had passed out. The alternative would have been a search based on a map and a general area of where you were headed.

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate just asking the question. Again, I'm glad you were able to recognize the symptoms and passed this valuable information on to the rest of the group.
I and Mrs ToW only have a "track" phone. We use it only when on the road traveling and it does not have GPS but could be tracked vie towers. Not very good with towers. The reason I carry it hunting is my hunting partner had and issue last year where I had to walk out to the truck to get his cell to get help. So from that point on we both carry our cells with us.

No my partner did not have a heart attack. He broke his ankle. And yes I needed my First Responder trainning for him as it was a compound break with bones sticking out and all the goore. He is OK and made a full recovery.

ToW
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #27
Tired of Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Thanks for the story Tow, great thinking and great discipline on your part. Good to hear your doing better.

Now the big question, will you still hunt alone? I mean after everything is stabilized, how far away from civilization will you go?
Yes I will hunt alone. I live in the country and walk out the door to start hunting.

Years ago when Mrs ToW and I became one I started to take certin precautions. One of the main things I do is leave the Topo map on the kitchen table with the location of my tree stand marked. The map also shows my paths in/out. If after breaking stand I decide to take a diferent path or just do some scouting I contack home and thell Mrs ToW of my new plans.

I have always carried a two way radio leaving one in the house for Mrs Tow and can most of the time contact her directly. With the addition of the cell phone I can now contact her from most places I hunt. The morning of my heart attack the phone had no reception but "if" Mrs ToW had been up I could have contacted her via the radio. From this point on we decided I would turn the radio on and turn the volumn up and leave it with the map. Should I need her she should hear it.

ToW
Old 12-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
BroadHopper

Default NH 911 Service

Take a look at the NH 911 Website:
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/e...ces/index.html

As you can see NH has the state of the art system. What is in place has a lot to offer and you should understand what is available.

With GPS tracking as well as tower coordinates, the system will find you. Of course you need to be within range.

If you have a condition that 911 should be aware of please take a look at the 'Automatic Location Information' Worksheet. It can be a lifesaver:
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/e...ces/forms.html

If you or your love one have difficulty using a phone to call 911 because of a disability please let me know, the NH telecommunication equipment distribution program is designed to provide assistive equipment for little or no cost.
http://ndhhs.org/services/NHTEDP.html
Old 12-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
Sandy Island fan

Default Thanks, ToW

ToW,
Thank you so much for sharing your story. It certainly sounds like you had a pretty good plan, but then found the holes. We all can learn from your example, and benefit from your experience. Your clear, concise description of what happened, how you responded, and what you will do differently are a textbook for others to study.
At camp, we train for a variety of emergencies - medical, fire, water rescue, etc. But, when there is an incident, we "debrief", as there is always something that we didn't foresee.There is always something to learn.

I am so glad that your planning, and your training, worked so well, and that you have been able - and willing - to share with all of us on the forum. You may very well save lives in addition to saving your own. I thank you for that.
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Island fan For This Useful Post:
Tired of Waiting (12-08-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #30
SunsetPointWentworth

Tow, glad you made it out alive. Sounds dramatic, but it seems to fit this situation. Did you vomit during the attack? I ask this because, two family members of mine had heart attacks and they both got sick to their stomach. Just wondering if this is a rare symptom or it happens a lot.
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #31
Tagdot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
I had a 98% block in the Right Coronary Artery.

ToW
Amazing, 98% blockage and you had no symptoms till that day? No chest pains from vigorous activity , climbing stairs or anything like that?
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #32
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
I and Mrs ToW only have a "track" phone. We use it only when on the road traveling and it does not have GPS but could be tracked vie towers. Not very good with towers. The reason I carry it hunting is my hunting partner had and issue last year where I had to walk out to the truck to get his cell to get help. So from that point on we both carry our cells with us.

No my partner did not have a heart attack. He broke his ankle. And yes I needed my First Responder trainning for him as it was a compound break with bones sticking out and all the goore. He is OK and made a full recovery.

ToW
Thank you for sharing your story. Very valuable information that we can all take to heart. I am happy to hear that you and your friend made it through your difficult times because of your training and expertise handling these situations for others.
Just one question though. Between your experience and the situation with your friend, have you considered staying out of the woods? (just kidding, well, maybe not so much!)
Again, thanks for these important tips.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #33
Tired of Waiting

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetPointWentworth View Post
Tow, glad you made it out alive. Sounds dramatic, but it seems to fit this situation. Did you vomit during the attack? I ask this because, two family members of mine had heart attacks and they both got sick to their stomach. Just wondering if this is a rare symptom or it happens a lot.

No, I did not get sick. Just a little light headed and very winded.

ToW
Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #34
Tired of Waiting

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Thank you for sharing your story. Very valuable information that we can all take to heart. I am happy to hear that you and your friend made it through your difficult times because of your training and expertise handling these situations for others.
Just one question though. Between your experience and the situation with your friend, have you considered staying out of the woods? (just kidding, well, maybe not so much!)
Again, thanks for these important tips.
Phantom,

Great question

It is sort of a joke with us now. The first thing my hunting partner said when he visited me in the hospital was "we gotta give this up cause it's gonna kill us."

But really, no, we will continue to go into the woods. It's our passion and without it a large chunk of who we are would cease to exist.

What we have done is learn from our trials. We have sat and talked about what can be done better to help us if the need should arise again. There is always room for improvement.

ToW
Old 12-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #35
Tired of Waiting

Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagdot View Post
Amazing, 98% blockage and you had no symptoms till that day? No chest pains from vigorous activity , climbing stairs or anything like that?
Tagdot,

That's the puzzling part even to the Doctors. I may have had a slight Angina attach before but nothing I can distinctly remember. The Doctor thinks that because I'm in good shape and hike a lot that my heart tolerated the blockage for a long time. They also believe that is the reason the the attack wasn't worse than it was and why there was only minor mussel damage.

ToW
Old 12-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #36
DickR

Default On choosing your time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Between your experience and the situation with your friend, have you considered staying out of the woods?
[I'm also quoting the same question] I've thought that if I could choose the time of my passing, it would be at the end of a nice hike. I'd pick the end, both so that I wouldn't impose on my hiking companions for carrying me out to the trailhead, and so that the hike would "count" toward my next round of the NH 48 4000 footers. But I suspect that I won't get to arrange things that way. It's simply the way I would have it if I could do so.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #37
Tagdot

Quote:
Tagdot,

That's the puzzling part even to the Doctors. I may have had a slight Angina attach before but nothing I can distinctly remember. The Doctor thinks that because I'm in good shape and hike a lot that my heart tolerated the blockage for a long time. They also believe that is the reason the the attack wasn't worse than it was and why there was only minor mussel damage.

ToW
After reading your reply on Sunday I went out and moved a 5 yard pile of loam that was delivered in my driveway. I wanted to move it before the storm. I shoveled it by hand and only once did I stop for a minute because of a chest pain. I continued moving the loom and after I finished I went in the house with just a slight pain and that went away. Later that night the pain came back and I remembered what you had said about no symptoms and I never had any symptoms other then the slight pain in the center of my chest. I went to the Hospital ER and they ran an EKG and said it looked fine and sent me back to the waiting room. I had waited 40 minutes when I was thinking of leaving as the pain was gone and they said the EKG looked fine. Just as I started to get up they called my name. They took me in hooked up the EKG again, took a blood sample. I guess the blood sample showed something because they wanted to keep me over night and do another blood test in the Am. Turns out I had a blockage in one of the arteries going to the front of the heart. Monday morning they went in and cleared the blockage and I went home 9am today. I don't think I would have gone to the hospital in the first place let alone stayed for a 40 min wait if I hadn't read your story. so thank you for that.
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tagdot For This Useful Post:
Sandy Island fan (12-10-2013), Winnilifer (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #38
BaileyBecca

WOW !!! Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #39
Sandy Island fan

Default Healthy New Year!

Tagdot, good for you for being wise and getting checked. So glad things worked out.
ToW, you did save a life. I hope that makes you very proud.
Here's wishing you both a healthy holiday.
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Island fan For This Useful Post:
Tired of Waiting (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #40
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Island fan View Post
Tagdot, good for you for being wise and getting checked. So glad things worked out.
ToW, you did save a life. I hope that makes you very proud.
Here's wishing you both a healthy holiday.
It sounds like he saved two lives in the past month! Nice work.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #41
Just Sold

Default Angina

Here is some great information from the American Heart Association on angina which could be a warning that a heart attack is coming in your future. For me it was a feeling of indegstion and of chest pressure with burping for someone else it could be much different.

"You may have heard the term “angina pectoris” or “stable angina” in your doctor’s office, but what is it, and what could it mean for you? It’s important to understand the basics.
Angina pectoris is the medical term for chest pain or discomfort due to coronary heart disease. It occurs when the heart muscle doesn't get as much blood as it needs. This usually happens because one or more of the heart's arteries is narrowed or blocked, also called ischemia.
Angina usually causes uncomfortable pressure, fullness, squeezing or pain in the center of the chest. You may also feel the discomfort in your neck, jaw, shoulder, back or arm. (Many types of chest discomfort — like heartburn, lung infection or inflammation — aren‘t related to angina.) Angina in women can be different than in men. View an animation of angina.
When does angina pectoris occur?
Angina often occurs when the heart muscle itself needs more blood than it is getting, for example, during times of physical activity or strong emotions. Severely narrowed arteries may allow enough blood to reach the heart when the demand for oxygen is low, such as when you're sitting. But, with physical exertion—like walking up a hill or climbing stairs—the heart works harder and needs more oxygen.

Symptoms of Stable Angina - The pain or discomfort:
  • Occurs when the heart must work harder, usually during physical exertion
  • Doesn't come as a surprise, and episodes of pain tend to be alike
  • Usually lasts a short time (5 minutes or less)
  • Is relieved by rest or medicine
  • May feel like gas or indigestion
  • May feel like chest pain that spreads to the arms, back, or other areas
Possible triggers of stable angina include: Treatment of Angina Pectoris
People with angina pectoris or sometimes referred to as stable angina have episodes of chest pain. The discomfort that are usually predictable and manageable. You might experience it while running or if you’re dealing with stress.
Normally this type of chest discomfort is relieved with rest, nitroglycerin or both. Nitroglycerin relaxes the coronary arteries and other blood vessels, reducing the amount of blood that returns to the heart and easing the heart's workload. By relaxing the coronary arteries, it increases the heart's blood supply.
If you experience chest discomfort, be sure and visit your doctor for a complete evaluation and, possibly, tests. If you have stable angina and start getting chest pain more easily and more often, see your doctor immediately as you may be experiencing early signs of unstable angina."
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
BaileyBecca (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #42
BroadHopper

Default Angina

A decade ago, most PCP treats angina with nitroglycerin pills. Today they will find the problem and remedy.

A friend of mine was taken nitroglycerin pills for years until he moved and transfer to another PCP. The new PCP immediately refer him to a cardiologist and after a series of tests had a quadruple bypass surgery. He was told he was a walking time bomb and should have been discovered earlier.

This cardiologist do not believe in stents. He claimed stents actually forms blockage because it is an irritation and usually lasts about four or five years. Yet many folks today have stents. I guess it depends on the philosophy of the cardiologists or what health insurance will pay?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #43
jrc

I spend too much time in the car listening to doctor radio, there is an ongoing war in the medical community on stents vs bypass.

Stents are a lot less scary for the patient, so they come with an automatic head start. But now I hear of some minimally invasive bypass surgery that may tip the scales.

The other ongoing battle is regarding statins, according to some doctors they should be in the drinking water (an obvious exaggeration).

There is no such thing as settled science.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
BaileyBecca (12-11-2013), BroadHopper (12-11-2013), Just Sold (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #44
Just Sold

Stents are less invasive to do than a bypass. From what I have read there is a slight lean toward the stents over bypass surgery. My own problem is with the stent that was put in almost 5 years ago. It has begun to block up and is currently at 40%. I do not have one of the drug coated stents. I was told that the walls of the artery grow around/over the stent and as in my case plaque can collect inside the atery at the location of the stent.

Typically they can do 1 of 2 things once the blockage reaches 70% (medical protocol) 1. do a ballon angioplasti (sp) 2. insert another stent. I have heard of a man in Maine who has had 3 stents in the same location - one after the other as they became blocked. A 3rd option would be a bypass but I only have 1 blocked artery which makes me a lower priority canidate for a bypass. I take a long acting nitrate for my angina and a regular nitoglycerin if the pain does not subside. More than 2 for one occurance it is call the Dr time and I have done a lot of that lately.

So the best advice is to take care of yourself so you don't have a heart attack. But be sure to listen to your body/heart and pay attention to the signs your heart is sending you...it could save yor life.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #45
Tired of Waiting

Smile Your welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagdot View Post
I don't think I would have gone to the hospital in the first place let alone stayed for a 40 min wait if I hadn't read your story. so thank you for that.
Tagdot,

You are why I posted this thread in the first place. Yes my training may have saved my life but I felt that passing some knowledge on to others might help them some time.

I didn't think it would be so soon.

So this thread has served its' purpose and allowed someone to be home with family and friends.

And yes that makes me feel very good.

ToW
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
BaileyBecca (12-11-2013), Sandy Island fan (12-11-2013), secondcurve (12-12-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #46
jerseyonbear

Default Thank you

As I sit hear reading this thread my son-in-law is out in the woods in a deerstand hunting. He does have some health issues and I will share what happened to you. I am sure my daughter has no idea where he is. Thank you for this good advice, and enjoy your holidays you have had an early gift.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerseyonbear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #47
Tired of Waiting

Exclamation That time of year

Hi all, thought that with the time of year and talk of snow like in New York it would be a good time to bring this thread back to the top.

I am doing fine and am in good health. Still hunting and climbing the hills. A little slower but only because I a little older.

I hope this thread can do some good again this year.

Happy holidays to all and good health to go with them.

ToW
Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #48
Pineedles

Glad to hear you are back in the woods hunting and doing well.