Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Karolynsdollshop

Default Looking for 1885 - 1895 history of Centre Harbor

I am looking for any vintage photographs and history of Centre Harbor for the 1885 to 1895 period. My grandfather (a teenager at the time) left Prince Edward Island and arrived in Centre Harbor in May of 1885. In July of 1892 he and Jenny C. Blackey had a baby girl, Annie Gertrude. Jenny was the daughter of John Blackey and Jane True Blackey. On my grandfather's naturalization papers, (1890) John Coe vouches for him. My grandfather's name was Joseph Bernard Mc Donald, but he was known as Bernard. It is possible that he was travelling with his father, Dan Mc Donald and/or his brother Paulenus Mc Donald. In May of 1894 Jenny C. Blackey died and by 1896 my grandfather had left the area and was living in Milton, MA. He did bring the little girl back for visits, during some summer months. Any information or any direction in which anyone can point me would be very much appreciated.
Karolynsdollshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
tummyman

Look in the History Forum on this blog.....there is a great history of Center Harbor that was just reposted a week or so ago. It is under Reminiscences of Center Harbor. Only other thing that I have is about Blackey Cove on Lake Winnipesaukee. We found some information possibly explaining how Blackey Cove was named. Apparently a person by the name of Jim Blackey owned land on Lake Shore Drive close to where that road meets Rt. 25 near the stream from Kanasatka. His large property went down to the water and it appears the cove was named for/by him. At one point in historical records, we did find a reference to “Blackey’s Cove”....the possessive spelling that has now become Blackey Cove. In the Tuck Library, there is a map of Winnipiseogee dated 1891 and it clearly shows the cove name as “Blackey’s Cove”. This map was just recently posted on the blog as well. Hope this helps....if you ever get any more data on Jim Blackey, I'd be interested in it as far as the origins of Blackey's Cove is concerned.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Karolynsdollshop (02-12-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
tummyman

The map I referred to in my prior posting is also on the History Forum of this blog under "Map of Lake Winnipiseogee 1891" and posted just a few days ago. Enlarge the map and find Blackey's Cove to the right of Center Harbor. BTW, welcome to the blog !!! Lots of very nice people post here. My lakefront house is on Blackey Cove.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Blackey family still on Lake Shore Drive

There is still a Blackey family living on Lake Shore Drive, in what I believe is the 1800s Blackey family home.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redwing For This Useful Post: