Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
garykunz

Default GPS Plotter Recommendations

My 5 inch Standard Horizon GPS Plotter died (I use CMAP chart of Winni), does anyone have recommendations on a low end plotter with Nav chart? No fishing, just navigation on the big lake. Thanks,Gary
garykunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
Lakeboater

Curious what made it die or what failed as I also have a standard horizon.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
radioman

Default Gps

"you get what you pay for"
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
burgerunh

There are lots of fishfinder/gps combo options out there that will accept a navionics chip and start at about $300. Both Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops are having sales on some on Black Friday.

If you really want to be cheap you can just download the Navionics app on your iphone.
burgerunh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Rich

Raymarine, or others can work.

Keep in mind that the newer Garmin units, while I love them, don't allow you to use Navionics charts any more. Garmin changed their firmware on the units to sort of force you to use the Garmin charts. Garmin does have charts of the lake, but I like the Navionics data, which was at one time derived from Bizer data (I don't know if this was a one time thing or if updates continue to flow from Bizer to Navionics).

In short, find one that physically fits your boat and has the features that you like and need. Keep in mind where your charts and updates will come from. Some don't think about the charts until after they purchase something.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Woodsy

Get the Navionics app... $14.99 and then download the Winni area so it will work on the iPad or cell without a wifi or cell data connection.

Woodsy
Old 11-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Get the Navionics app... $14.99 and then download the Winni area so it will work on the iPad or cell without a wifi or cell data connection.

Woodsy
I have the N avionics app on my Samsung s5 for back up but didn't think to download the winni area. So I did...twice lol but I can't find where it downloaded to. Any suggestions?
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
Woodsy

This might help....

http://navionics.force.com/kb/articl...fs=Search&pn=1
Lakeboater (11-17-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
Mrcrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykunz View Post
My 5 inch Standard Horizon GPS Plotter died (I use CMAP chart of Winni), does anyone have recommendations on a low end plotter with Nav chart? No fishing, just navigation on the big lake. Thanks,Gary

I bought the navionics app on my iPad around $50
Added bad elf GPS receiver $99
Double sided tape to stick it on my dash $4
Large screen easy to see. Easy to take with you
Mrcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #10
CHSLTD

Default Actual GPS recommendation?

I've been following this thread and watching for an actual GPS recommendation based on what others use. Last year I used the Navionics App on my iPad and it worked well. I wanted to add a fixed mount GPS to supplement the iPad. I heard some new units provide dock to dock routing and some from other lake users (Not on Winni) were touting LakeVue. And before 30 people reccomend a paper map, I have and use my trusty Bizer... lol
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CHSLTD For This Useful Post:
Nature (06-19-2018)
Old 11-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSLTD View Post
I've been following this thread and watching for an actual GPS recommendation based on what others use. Last year I used the Navionics App on my iPad and it worked well. I wanted to add a fixed mount GPS to supplement the iPad. I heard some new units provide dock to dock routing and some from other lake users (Not on Winni) were touting LakeVue. And before 30 people reccomend a paper map, I have and use my trusty Bizer... lol
I personally like the Lowrance HDS line of chartplotters, combined with the Navionics chip they are an awesome unit...

Dan
CHSLTD (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykunz View Post
My 5" SH died this year too. Went with a Garmin 741XS which I am thrilled with. I went with a higher priced unit because I wanted to add RADAR. I imagine Garmin's less expensive, non-RADAR models would be just as great.

Last edited by Dave R; 11-22-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
CHSLTD (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
Rattletrap

Default Garmin 53DV

With the upgraded lake vu ultra HD map has been awesome
Old 11-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
With the upgraded lake vu ultra HD map has been awesome
Is that the software that auto-routes around all the hazards for you? If so, does it work properly on the lake?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
stynx55

We bought a Ray marine dragonfly with the bizer chart already loaded into it. Bought it at Irwin's in Laconia, Shawn set it up for me and showed me how it worked.
stynx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Is that the software that auto-routes around all the hazards for you? If so, does it work properly on the lake?
Garmin doesn't auto-avoid hazards, it shows "safe passage" lines. As for effectiveness, I've visited everywhere on the lake with no problems, and that includes this last fall with record-low water levels.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Garmin doesn't auto-avoid hazards, it shows "safe passage" lines. As for effectiveness, I've visited everywhere on the lake with no problems, and that includes this last fall with record-low water levels.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
The standard cartography that comes pre-installed shows the safe passage lines. The Lake Vu HD Ultra is supposed to do auto guidance according to Garmin:

"Auto Guidance shows the best path to a destination. Use in conjunction with Satellite imagery to provide enhanced situational awareness"

"Auto Guidance 3.0 (13,000 HD Lakes)

A Garmin exclusive, Auto Guidance 3.0 directs you to your hot spots quickly by instantly creating an on-screen path for your boat to follow that avoids shallow water and other charted obstructions."

I got those quotes from this page: Garmin Lake Vu HD Ultra
Old 11-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #18
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

The Garmin Lake Vu HD provides very detailed bottom contours based on the sonar mapping that they did 3 years ago.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ht=garmin+boat

Also clearly shows docks along the shore. My only complaint is that flashing lights are shown in white rather than the color of the red or black companion marker. Red and black markers not next to a FL are shown correctly.

I have a 541xs and really like the user interface.
http://gpstracklog.com/2013/06/hands...map-547xs.html
I also use Garmin Home Port on the PC to view the Lake Vu HD chart of Winni and generate waypoints & routes to download to the GPS unit.

I had the most basic sonar transponder installed as I don't fish, just want depth info.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #19
Rattletrap

Quote:
Yes it works well .....last year was my first year on the lake and it did give me the confidence to explore. I will advise you that nothing replaces knowledge.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #20
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
Yes it works well .....last year was my first year on the lake and it did give me the confidence to explore. I will advise you that nothing replaces knowledge.
Cool, thanks! As easy as it is to plot a route with the standard cartography, I love the idea of auto-routing.

I think the dynamic lake level feature would have proven quite handy this year too, and that was one of the main reasons I was thinking about buying this product prior to a Lake Champlain cruise earlier this year. Champlain was down 2 feet below normal over the Summer. As it turned out, it was no big deal since it's a ridiculously deep lake without a whole lot of hazards. I only touched bottom once while gunkholing at very low speed a few miles up Otter Creek.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #21
Rattletrap

Quote:
Cool, thanks! As easy as it is to plot a route with the standard cartography, I love the idea of auto-routing.

I think the dynamic lake level feature would have proven quite handy this year too, and that was one of the main reasons I was thinking about buying this product prior to a Lake Champlain cruise earlier this year. Champlain was down 2 feet below normal over the Summer. As it turned out, it was no big deal since it's a ridiculously deep lake without a whole lot of hazards. I only touched bottom once while gunkholing at very low speed a few miles up Otter Creek.
I've been very happy with it like I said the auto routing is a help and easy to use
Old 11-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #22
CHSLTD

Default Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro

I purchased a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro with a Navionics+ card this weekend. Anyone use one, Dragonfly 5 or 7 pro on the lake?
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #23
Guiness

Default Dragonfly

Wondering if you heard back on your question, I'm debating the purchase. Also seems like you can go Navionics or CMAP, I'm Winni only. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Guiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 AM   #24
Blyblvrd

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSLTD View Post
I purchased a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro with a Navionics+ card this weekend. Anyone use one, Dragonfly 5 or 7 pro on the lake?
I purchased a Dragonfly 5 with Navionics map (I think thats the brand) from Irwin's marine. We were new to the lake as residence last year and only familiar with winni as passengers. August was our first summer as boat owners and 'captains' controlling our own fate.

The Dragonfly was awesome. Easy to use and clearly told us where to navigate around bouys, markers etc. We had no issues all season we were up there.

At first the breadcrumbs feature that lets you map previous route so you can follow the same path later was really helpful. We quickly learned the lake and now only use the GPS now when we are not sure or are in new parts of the lake.

It was also fun letting our kids drive while we sat with them. It allowed them to make decisions on their own and learn the lake as well.

A great purchase in my opinion.
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #25
codeman671

Resurrecting an old GPS thread. We just purchased a new (to us) boat that was a crappy old Lowrance 3500C in it, and are looking to upgrade. It will be going in a Rinker 320EC, flush mounted in place of the Lowrance, so I have a decent amount of space.

We may want to add radar at some point, but not needed at present. I was always a Standard Horizon fan, but it seems that they are focusing more on radios these days.

What are people suggesting these days?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Resurrecting an old GPS thread. We just purchased a new (to us) boat that was a crappy old Lowrance 3500C in it, and are looking to upgrade. It will be going in a Rinker 320EC, flush mounted in place of the Lowrance, so I have a decent amount of space.

We may want to add radar at some point, but not needed at present. I was always a Standard Horizon fan, but it seems that they are focusing more on radios these days.

What are people suggesting these days?
I had a Standard Horizon, replaced it with a Garmin 741XS. LOVE the Garmin.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #27
Rich

I've been thinking of updating my now old MFD, so I have been doing some shopping in preparation of if it dies, or has a problem.

My two contenders are the Garmin or the new Raymarine Axiom.

The Garmin is nice, but lately you're stuck using only their cartography (Charts). I don't know how responsive they are to reported errors of the charts, nor do I think they have as much detail as other charts.

The Raymarine Axiom seems MUCH quicker to draw on the screen, update during moving, and is generally more responsive when using it. It also allows for Navionics charts. I found the Navionics charts to be a derivative or related to the much loved Bizer charts of the lake. It also seems to have some more detail than the Garmin charts of the lake. I also like that Navionics is very responsive to chart errors when reported to them. They often will publish a fix to their charts within a week or two of a report and then you can download the new chart with the correction. You can review the Navionics coverage of the lake online to see if you like it: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...y=q%60ciGvnxrL

This sounds like it would be a no-brain choice for the Raymarine, but the Garmin seems to have a lot of transducers available, so depending on what you want or need, you may want to choose one or the other. I would love to use the Garmin 'forward looking' Sonar transducer, which can show rocks and hazards up to 300 IN FRONT of your boat, but it's a very pricey option, but certainly cheaper than any fiberglass, or I/O/Propeller repair!

Most people wills say to choose the chart that you like, and then buy the MFD that supports that chart. Further blurring the line is that Garmin recently (last year) purchased Navionics, and this implies that Garmin may support Navionics charts some time in the future. I recently contacted them to ask if they will support Garmin, but their answer just recently was that 'we're just now thinking about this, but can't give an answer as this time'. So no one can predict if all Garmin MFDs will support Navionics, or if only certain future models will allow it.

These days, I think most MFDs will serve basic navigation needs. Good luck with your choice!