Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Nadia

Smile LLS (Land Locked Salmon)

If anyone hits a hot spot for this fish that has been giving me the run around for the past five years please do tell! If you notice an area where they are congregating, are familiar with their running patterns, or have any tips for that matter and feel like helping a fellow angler out please do! What kind of bait you were using would be helpful too. I am set on catching a salmon this season, even if I have to go out every day!
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
martbri7

Default Seeking Salmon?

If your looking for Salmon this website will help www.fishlakewinni.com , as far as finding them now is the time, the Salmon along with Lake Trout are cruising right on top now looking for smelt. Smelt worms and lures work great this time of the year, as the water warms up the Salmon go deeper, so technology like downriggers and leadcores help out. As far as finding "Honey Holes" are hard to find, but by boat hang around Meredith Bay or Saunders Bay trolling at a speed of 1.5 to 2 mph if your just casting and sitting around use a bobber and bait keep your drag loose and let the Spring air of Winnipesaukee set in.

Good Luck, there are some nice fish coming from Winnisquam I'm hearing

~Brian~
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Smith Point

well i could give you a tip on where to find them but then i would half to kill you Seriously live bait is the way to go, anywhere off docks, or just hanging out in the boat.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Nadia

Smile Thanks a Lot!

Thank you both very much for your tips and the helpful link. I am going out in about a half hour to fish off some of my friends docks. Wish me luck!
Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
winnisquam

Default Salmon

Saturday morning at about 8 AM trolling with live smelt we caught a 24" salmon after being on the water for 5 minutes, the boat had not even warmed up, I will hold back on the rest of the day, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, they are on the top, slow speed . . .
winnisquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Treerider

I hit 'em pretty hard on Friday afternoon when the wind finally picked up, and again all day today, especially this morning 6:30-9, fishing the shoreline, we saw some fish rising and rolling, I hit most trolling a red bead gray ghost, and some with an orange and black DB smelt. The "nightrider" caught a pair of 'bows that were STUFFED full of small, pea size snails??? Water temp was a balmy 40F- -Tree...
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
bilproject

Default Current Report on Fishing

How's the fishing? Any reports on general size and numbers would be appreciated. Salmon still at the surface or going down a bit. AJ's have live smelt for sale? Coming up for 4 days of fishing this weekend. Reports would be helpful.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Smitty1

check out

www.fishlakewinni.com

Good luck!

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Treerider

smitty, we missed you at the rotary derby, we were in winter hbr.......frank
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Nadia

Cool Thank You

Thanks for all the great tips. I kept trying to tell my DH they were eating at the top but he was dead set on fishing near bottom! I can show him this post and blame my misfortune on him! LOL. I was using live bait as well. A friend of my boss brought in a salmon today for us to cook and try. I have convinced most of my fellow co-workers LLS is much better than any other salmon out there, and they hated to agree but they were right! I opened his belly and found two partially digested shiners and a few bugs. From what I could see he was hungry!

I drove by AJ's they are open and selling live bait. I picked mine up at the Winni Trading Post. Sadly, the only thing I have caught is the bottom of the lake/river, a cold, and...a sucker fish. I was fishing off a popular bridge near a waterfall in Laconia, which can be hot spot for salmon trying to get past the dam. I saw three beauties right below, and I slowly dropped my bait in the water. Two of them sniffed it and ran away, and one was immediately spooked, although I was very stealth! I didn't wheel in empty though. I large sucker fish seemed to come out of nowhere. He swallowed my entire set up, weights and all. He put up a huge fight to beat. I tried to pull him over so I could remove the weights and hook from his mouth, but he wasn't having that. He snapped my line and went back to business. Hope he's ok.

DH went out for his favorite native brook species and came back with two enourmous rainbow trout. 6-7 pound range, very pretty. Obviously they were breeding in the shallows or something because he said when the fish came after his bait he could see his fin and tail coming toward it.

Wishing everyone the best of luck. Those of you fishing on top with live bait are you using a bobber? What's your set up consist of?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
elchase

Default Salmon

We have been catching several salmon every morning trolling back and forth on a line from about 200 yds south of Welch to about 200 yds north of Diamond at about 38 feet using a copper Sutton Spoon. Troll at about 2.5 mph. We've caught many fish over 5 pounds and a couple over 7. Very consistent once you find them.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Coolbreeze

The first two to three weeks in August will be HOT for Salmon action. Fish early morning or just before dusk. Troll at speeds betweeen 2 and 2.5 mph. Fish spoons or flies or live smelt if it is availbale.
You have to get the lures down below 30' and have a few hang around the top 5-15' to get the top hitting fish. I have had great luck in the water from Wolfeboro bay out around Sewell point to Parker island. Good luck!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Nadia

Talking I did catch one!

I did end up catching a salmon this year, what a beauty! It was 21 inches long, not sure of the weight. A good size fish. I caught him with crawlers near a dam in down town Laconia. He made some nice fillets! I don't know about anyone else but I think LLS taste's much better than wild salmon