Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Great Fishing!

The past few weekends have just been great for fishing! It doesn't seem to matter what time I go out the fish are biting and biting well. Yesterday (Friday) I went out in the morning by myself and found the bait fish and had non stop action for two hours straight! I stopped fishing after a couple hours as I had caught enough and I was soaked! (It was raining constantly in the morning) Once the sun came out around 1:00 P.M. in the afternoon, my wife wanted to get some sun so we went out in the boat and dropped a few lines. Again, the fish were biting non stop. We landed some beautiful rainbows a couple were 20"+ and many salmon including a couple 4 year olds which are always nice to see. No lakers taken yesterday.

Anyone else been experiencing the good fishing as of late??

It's a beautiful calm and foggy morning on the lake this A.M. A perfect morning for fishing!! Hope your out there catching them. I decided to give it a rest today.

Tight lines!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Jonas Pilot

Now that was a heck of a day! Any chance you could share some of your secrets to success, like depth and lures? Do you have any pictures?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
ishoot308

Sure,... Catching most of my fish on the downriggers with horizontal and vertical attractors (Chappy's), trailing a color matching lure (D.B. or Mini Gun) 6' behind and two feet up. 38' down yesterday staying just above the thermocline. In the A.M. when I was by myself I only fished the riggers. Also caught a few on straight lead right off the side of the boat 8 colors in the water in the afternoon. Caught zip off the planer boards. Planers haven't been nearly as productive as the riggers. Planers were catching 90% of my fish earlier in the season but now have died off. The attractors are bringing the fish in especially when you find the bait fish and troll through them.

Sorry no pics, I try to get the fish back in the water as quickly as possible and I was by myself in the morning so it's a pain. I wish I would have taken pics of one of the rainbows I caught yesterday with my wife, just a real beautiful fish 20" with spectacular colors, but after dragging him up 8 colors and 80' of leader he barely made it when I released him, he floated for a bit and I had to swing around and massage him back to consciousness. I like catching them on the downriggers better as survival chances drastically increases.

Hope this helps!

Dan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Broken Glass (07-28-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-28-2012), Orion (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
RailroadJoe

Now, you are what I call a true sportsman.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Jonas Pilot

Default Thanks Dan.

Thanks for sharing Dan. Good way to build up some Karma points.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Broken Glass

Great information for those of us that are still trying to figure this out. I never considered dragging a lure behind the flashers that match. I can't wait to try it

Yesterday I saw a boat release a fish that was stunned as they often are after being released. Before the fish was able to recover the Eagle from Welch swept in like a Chinook and carried the fish in ground effect back to the island. Realy cool to see!
Dan
Broken Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
ishoot308

Default Awesome Sight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Glass View Post
Great information for those of us that are still trying to figure this out. I never considered dragging a lure behind the flashers that match. I can't wait to try it

Yesterday I saw a boat release a fish that was stunned as they often are after being released. Before the fish was able to recover the Eagle from Welch swept in like a Chinook and carried the fish in ground effect back to the island. Realy cool to see!
Dan
I saw that too I think!! Around 7:30 A.M. / 8:00 A.M. in the morning?? South side of Welch ? It was an awesome sight!! The eagles aren't from Welch though most likely from Round island.

Dan
Old 07-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Broken Glass

That is about what time I saw it. I had it happen to me once a few years ago. Quite a site when they are so close

Dan
Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Glass View Post
That is about what time I saw it. I had it happen to me once a few years ago. Quite a site when they are so close

Dan
If you were fishing that side of Welch at that time you must have caught some fish. The bait fish were all around us everywhere. I was marking fish everywhere on my finder. Everyone seemed busy reeling in fish. There were a ton of boats fishing there including three guide boats. Some of the guides quit early as they had caught a fair amount of fish. Just one of those days, right place and right time!!

Dan
Old 07-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Broken Glass

Yes the fishing was great in that area. I set up as soon as I got in deep water aft coming through the witches. Immediately there was so much color on my monitor that I thought it was malfunctioning. I stayed iin that area between Welch, Lock and the Witches for a couple hours and had a lot of fun. My boat is Good Stuff. "Tight lines" as they say!!
Dan
Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
dt5150

i was out there saturday morning and did quite well. mostly rainbows, but had several salmon mixed in. about 15 total i think for the day. lost a GIANT fish too. it hit one of the rigger lines, same as you dan, 5 ft back behind some chappys flashers. i had his aqua/glow set on that one. big fish... started ripping drag right off the bat before i could get the rod, and i keep the drag on my rigger rods almost fully tight (to crank them down). once i got the rod, i loosened the drag up and let him run. had it on for about 30 seconds and then right in the middle of another run... he pulled off. i really wish i could've seen what it was, but i'm pretty sure it was a salmon. it sure fought like one. great day though.. nice to have a calm cloudy day for a change.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
ishoot308

Default Nice!!

Nice DT5150!!

Glad you also had a great day! Even though you lost the "big one" look at it this way, you will always have that story to tell and will always wonder how big it was! That's what it's all about!!

Take care!

Dan

P.S. Gotta love those Chappy's Flashers!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Broken Glass (07-31-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-31-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
dt5150

heck yeah man, chris makes some great stuff. i've also had lots of action on his sexy smelt spoons. they're incredible lookin in the water.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #14
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
We landed some beautiful rainbows a couple were 20"+ and many salmon including a couple 4 year olds which are always nice to see. No lakers taken yesterday.
This is a Laker photo taken Saturday.

A Sharpie is included as a scale—it's 4½ Sharpies long.
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 08-20-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Slippery fish...had to invert photo... ;)
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-20-2012)