Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Ride & Dive

Default First time boat purchase - Sea Ray Sundeck 240 ??

We are ready to take the plunge on a first time boat ownership are thinking about the Sea Ray Sundeck 240. Seems to be a decent quality craft with plenty of space with a layout built for beautiful days cruising the lake. The size also seems about right to be towed behind my SUV.

Does anyone have any feedback (good or bad) on this unit or any advice on comparable competitors. I like the layout, head, walk thru transom, wet bar (for the guests) and storage capacity to name a few. I understand the dead rise is decent for small to moderate chop and with the correct engine it can get on plane quickly.

I am thinking about an 08 or 09 model year.

If you know of any for sale or can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
winnipiseogee

Just helped a friend buy an 08 of that boat from Meredith Marina back in May. So far he is extremely happy about it. His only two complaints are that it doesn't handle the chop as well as he wanted (but he is used to my Crownline 240LS which has a deep V) and he thought that with 250hp it was a little underpowered for tubing & waterskiing with the kids. I thought for a deck boat it did great in the chop but I agree about it being a bit underpowered. Very happy overall though and would probably do the same again although holding out for a bigger engine.

For what its worth Meredith Marina was by far the best experience I have had with a marina on Winni. I've worked with Sheps & Channel and the customer service at Meredith blows them both away.

Good Luck!!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Size and Power

There are two things that I would keep in mind.

The first is size. 24 feet is the minimum I would purchase to go out on Winnipesaukee because of the ride quality. Anything smaller and you will have many unpleasant experiences on rough days. This could lead to reduced use of the boat because nobody wants to go out and get bounced around all day.

The second is power. In my mind it is better to have and not need than need and not have. I have a 26 foot bowrider with the optional 375HP 8.2 Volvo I/O. I think the standard engine for the boat was 260HP. Most of the time it is just two of us and there is always power to spare.

On several occasions I have had 10-12 people in the boat and there was still plenty of power. The difference in time to plane is almost not noticeable. I don't think the fuel consumption is much higher than with the small engine because the large engine doesn't have to work very hard. If you plan on tubing or water skiing, especially if you will have a number of passengers aboard, the larger the engine the better the experience will be.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
jrc

The 240 Sundeck is a hugely popular boat. When we were at Samoset it seemed like it was every third boat. If you want real opinions, go to your nearest town dock this weekend and look around. There should be plenty of real owners to ask.

In 2002 we bought a 260 bowrider because we got a real good deal on a leftover. We loved the boat, but 240 was a close second. It had a lot of room for its size.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Winniboater81

Default 240 Sundeck

Bought mine at Irwin Marine a few years back. Best boat I have ever owned. I drove EVERYTHING before I bought, and even on the roughest day, the SD handled better than any other boat I drove. Since I bought one, I have noticed they are by far the most popular boat on Winni.
Mine has a Merc 350 Mag 300 hp with a Bravo III drive which is what you should get. A few came through with the Merc 5.0L 260hp, but definetly get the 350 MAG.
I have been on friends boats of the same size, and mine is by far superior to theirs in ride and fit and finish.
Winniboater81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
winterh

I have a 2000 240 SD. I think that was the first year they came out. Eleven years of tubing, waterskiing, joyrides.... and still runs great. The perfect lakeboat. Great combination of space and utility.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
lawn psycho

As posted above, make sure it has the larger engine as anything under 300 Hp to push a 240 fter will be underpowered.

I am sure you've thought about boat weight, trailering, storage, etc. as that can be a major part of the boat expense each year.

As the saying goes: Buy your second boat first
The SeaRay 240 is a nice boat and in this economy the choices are many. Have you looked at Cobalts? Verrrrry nice.

Lastly, I am not so sure I would agree that SeaRay sundecks are the most popular boat on Winni. There's two Four Winn dealers one on Winni and one just off Winni at Winnisquam. Just sayin'
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

[QUOTE=Winniboater81;167708]Bought mine at Irwin Marine a few years back. Best boat I have ever owned. I drove EVERYTHING before I bought, and even on the roughest day, the SD handled better than any other boat I drove. Since I bought one, I have noticed they are by far the most popular boat on Winni.
Mine has a Merc 350 Mag 300 hp with a Bravo III drive which is what you should get. A few came through with the Merc 5.0L 260hp, but definetly get the 350 MAG.
I have been on friends boats of the same size, and mine is by far superior to theirs in ride and fit and finish.[/QUOTE

How long is it?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
boatnh

Default Meredith Marina

I've been looking for a new deck boat for the better part of the year (I check here for insight frequently but haven't posted anything yet). I was at Meredith Marina last weekend and test drove a Hurricane SunDeck 2600. I was really surprised at how well it handled and the fit and finish is excellent. I wanted to see a 2400 (24' model) but they didn't have any in stock. I've also looked at / test driven Sea Rays, Four Winns and now the Hurricane. FWIW....the price on the new Hurricane was right around what I was looking to spend on a used Sea Ray.
boatnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Lakepilot

We have a place near Marco Island in Florida and it seems every other boat is a Hurricane. One of our friends has a 23 and the other one has a 26. The 26' is quite some boat. It really handles well.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
ushaggerb

Default Pricing 24 Sea Ray Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride & Dive View Post
We are ready to take the plunge on a first time boat ownership are thinking about the Sea Ray Sundeck 240. Seems to be a decent quality craft with plenty of space with a layout built for beautiful days cruising the lake. The size also seems about right to be towed behind my SUV.

Does anyone have any feedback (good or bad) on this unit or any advice on comparable competitors. I like the layout, head, walk thru transom, wet bar (for the guests) and storage capacity to name a few. I understand the dead rise is decent for small to moderate chop and with the correct engine it can get on plane quickly.

I am thinking about an 08 or 09 model year.

If you know of any for sale or can point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Great time to be buying a big ticket item, if you have the money. Although I don't have a crystal ball, you might wait until you're truly off-season to buy it. People might deal a little more.

In any event, there are a number of places on-line to compare prices. You might even find someone within driving distance from where you live. If you want to see a large selection for price comparison, a good site I've found is actually www.yachtworld.com. Get to "Full Specs" tab to get the hours and whether it's been used in saltwater (although if it has low hours, that may make little difference.

I'd try my best not to fall in love with any particular boat. You probably know it raises your price "threshold" if you do. And since this is not a custom boat, it should be easier to keep your heart from getting in they way of your best interests. Besides, anything custom-add in any model you see, you can probably do yourself.

Good Luck!
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Ride and Dive,

Wbat type of SUV do you have? It seems to be one of the major question not being talked about here... The boat is a nice size all though I disagree that it is the minimum size needed for Winnipesaukee... But that is another whole debate that doesn't belong here.... What is of concern is the weight of this boat.. The distance you may be towing it and how often, and what do you really have for a tow vehicle.... You may find that pulling a 24 sundeck at over 5000# may be more then your SUV can handle. Especially if you have to pull it any great distance.... Now this is just about the tow rating of the vehicle... About the power train and gear combination of the vehicle... I would hate to see anyone get into a boat, only to find out that their Tow Vehicle then need to be replaced sooner then expected.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post

I would hate to see anyone get into a boat, only to find out that their Tow Vehicle then need to be replaced sooner then expected.

That might be his plan all along!

My wife and I bought a new boat in October 2009. I knew all along it was going to be a full load for her Mercury Mountaineer V8, so in March 2010 I bought a new Toyota Tundra to tow it!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
That might be his plan all along!
I don't disagree.... however over the years I have seen way to many people blindly enter into deals like this, where the tow vehicle was not properly considered, and then are forced into a new vehicle when the old one dies a premature death, do to the strain of towing.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
donmac

The towing issue was the first thing that popped into my mind when this thread popped up.

I believe that 5000lbs is dry weight for just the boat - wet weight with a trailer may be over 7000lbs...

That's a lot of boat to tow. I tow a similar boat myself, with a Tundra V8, and it has to work hard going up hill.

The original poster mentioned he was a first time boat owner. If at all possible I'd suggest finding a friend with a similar boat and try to tow, launch, and load it with your SUV and see what that experience is like. With the right vehicle and experience it is no big deal to tow a boat that size.
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donmac For This Useful Post:
Aguamenti (07-16-2012)
Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
boat_guy64

Default Searay Sundeck 240

I bought mine in 2005. It has over 400 hours on it and it is really a good family boat. It handles the rough days well and has been very reliable. I've never towed it. We used to keep it in the Mt. View racks but now keep it in the water all summer. IMHO, that is a lot less hassle and you'll get much more use of it if you don't have to think about towing it. (If you are okay with staying on one lake)

We really enjoy this boat and I'll keep it for a few more years.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #17
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Ride and Dive,

Wbat type of SUV do you have? It seems to be one of the major question not being talked about here... The boat is a nice size all though I disagree that it is the minimum size needed for Winnipesaukee... But that is another whole debate that doesn't belong here.... What is of concern is the weight of this boat.. The distance you may be towing it and how often, and what do you really have for a tow vehicle.... You may find that pulling a 24 sundeck at over 5000# may be more then your SUV can handle. Especially if you have to pull it any great distance.... Now this is just about the tow rating of the vehicle... About the power train and gear combination of the vehicle... I would hate to see anyone get into a boat, only to find out that their Tow Vehicle then need to be replaced sooner then expected.

Great question! I have a 2010 Explorer. I was a bit concerned about the weight but I understand that if I leverage a towing weight distribution system I should be able to more than cover my concerns. Also I expect to leave it at a Winni Marina somewhere most of the time and maybe only tow it around a few times a year.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #18
Ride & Dive

Default Thanks for the feedback!

As usual the members of this forum exceeded expectations. Thanks to all for your honest feedback and advice.

Hope to be on the lake with you all next summer!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #19
Belmont Resident

Default Towing

What the sticker on your vehicle says and what you can safely tow for any distance are two totally different things. Just like fuel economy both are very much skewed.
A Ford Explorer for one doesn’t have long enough wheelbase to tow a boat of that size. It might say it’s rated for the weight but the length will steer that rear end all over the place.
Anyways that’s a different thread. Good luck with the boat.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
NoRegrets

I know 3 owners of the 240 SunDeck and they all have been great boats. If you think of towing anyting that heavy you should look ingo a friction sway bar system. I am not sure how they work but have been in a vehicle with and without and would not want to tow without a proper setup.

Good luck finding one that matches your needs!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride & Dive View Post
Great question! I have a 2010 Explorer. I was a bit concerned about the weight but I understand that if I leverage a towing weight distribution system I should be able to more than cover my concerns. Also I expect to leave it at a Winni Marina somewhere most of the time and maybe only tow it around a few times a year.
So then the next question that comes into play, is which engine do you have in the vehicle.... If it is the six cylinder I would not at all recommend this size boat...If you have the V8, you could possible get a way with some short towing, but will notice issues with hills etc...

Bottom line is that you will be right at the limits of the Explorer. Although you may get away with towing that big of a boat with this vehicle. The longevity of your vehicle is going to be reduced. There will be wear on the entire drive system, braking, and chasis.

This also counts on making sure you have the Type III/IV trailer hitch on the vehicle and not the Type II.....

Those are my 2 cents on the subject.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #22
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
What the sticker on your vehicle says and what you can safely tow for any distance are two totally different things. Just like fuel economy both are very much skewed.
A Ford Explorer for one doesn’t have long enough wheelbase to tow a boat of that size. It might say it’s rated for the weight but the length will steer that rear end all over the place.
Anyways that’s a different thread. Good luck with the boat.
I would like to hear more of your thoughts on this subject. Feel free to PM me if you would like to move it off the thread.

My understanding is that a towing weight distributions systems would offset some of these concerns

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Ride and Drive,

Belmont statement resides in the fact that the towing limits are based on ideal conditions, and are engineered calculations... While Ford may advertise that the 2010 Explorer with optional V8 engine, Class IV receiver, and a weight distributing hitch will pull 7100#, The don't let you know that the performance of the vehicle and longevity of the components at that weight are severely compromised. You will find the vehicle will be sluggish on the any type of incline. The boat will be a handful going down hill, as the boat will tend to push the vehicle around. And things like brakes will wear much quicker then expected.

If the information was correct and your vehicle is rated with the weight distributing hitch at 7100# with a V8, Then you should figure that you can safely tow about 80% of that... which is around 5600#....

If you pull at the max 7100% and then add on top of that additional passengers and gear to the vehicle... you are quick over loading the vehicle.

It is not just about, how much your are towing... it about passengers and cargo in the vehicle as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #24
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Testing

A little big but this might work out fot you.
Attached Images

SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
Happy Gourmand

Default Nice boat, Samiam...

...I guess I should have stayed in the restaurant business!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #26
Steveo

Default Cost

Would I be out of line if I asked how much a boat like this would run
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #27
jrc

It all comes down to how much towing you are going to do. If you plan to tow every weekend then spend the money and get something big to to that right. If you only going to tow to the lake at the beginning of the season and a home at the end then a little extra wear and tear shouldn't be an issue. Obviously never tow with a vehicle that is unsafe for the duty.

Actually, for a seasonal tow I would avoid owning a tow vehicle at all. Paying the huge gas mileage penalty for a big V8 every day for the couple times a year you need to have it, seems costly. Just have a marina store the boat for you and avoid towing.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #28
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default I have your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Would I be out of line if I asked how much a boat like this would run
How much does it cost to build a cruise ship?

The 110,000 gross ton (GT) Carnival Freedom which cost $500,000,000 in 2007.

No problem, glad I could help!

(Hope I got the right boat)
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #29
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
It all comes down to how much towing you are going to do. If you plan to tow every weekend then spend the money and get something big to to that right. If you only going to tow to the lake at the beginning of the season and a home at the end then a little extra wear and tear shouldn't be an issue. Obviously never tow with a vehicle that is unsafe for the duty.

Actually, for a seasonal tow I would avoid owning a tow vehicle at all. Paying the huge gas mileage penalty for a big V8 every day for the couple times a year you need to have it, seems costly. Just have a marina store the boat for you and avoid towing.
That is what my plan would be. I might tow it once or twice a year to visit a different lake (Merrymeeting from Winni) but for the most part I would expect to leave it stored at a Marina and have them drop it in when we head up.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
soxfan

check craigs list I saw a couple of nice ones
soxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #31
Rangervx

I agree that for a cruiser on winni...24' would be my minimum length...i agree to get whatever engine upgrade is avail as i too would rather have and not need than the opposite...and i would rec. A diesel engine for the tow vehicle...my 2 cents
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rangervx For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (10-21-2011)
Old 10-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #32
Belmont Resident

Default It's a big boat

I recently saw one being towed.
From the swim platform to the front of the trailer hitch must be close to 30 feet long. That is a long heavy boat for any SUV smaller that a full size Tahoe or similar. But then we see small SUV’s pulling campers and boats all the time on our trips to Maine. It just doesn’t mean it is safe. Even if it is within the towing capacity length plays just as important part as does breaking.
FYI I haul a 10,000 lb dump trailer, landscape trailer with bikes, job trailer,
25 Baja and my wife’s 265 Chaparral over the course of a the year so I do have some experience with towing.
Good luck with your new boat.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
Ride & Dive

Default Finally!

Welp - reviving a long dead post here but wanted to close the loop. I am sure many of you were having sleepless nights wondering what ever happened to this thread.

We finally closed the deal on a beautiful SeaRay Sundeck 240. It has everything we were looking for and more. We secured a slip for the season and are looking forward to many wonderful family days out boating.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and support. Hope to see you on the lake!

R&D
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #34
NoRegrets

It's not finished until you post what you are going to name the new addition to the family! You made a great selection as the Searay 240 SD is a top notch vessel supported by a sound corporation.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #35
Ride & Dive

Default Wow...

Now thats a lot of pressure....

We have the initials T S H A C in the family. So we are toying with

Chats
Tachs
C Hats

I like

Tachs Deduction or
Tachs Write Off

but the one in charge doesn't dig those....Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks again
R&D
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #36
Newbiesaukee

You may like those names, the IRS probably would not.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #37
Ride & Dive

fair enough.....how about "Tachs free"?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #38
SIKSUKR

Well you know, if you are from Mass it could be Tachs-a-chussett.
Hey, how about LUXURY TACHS?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
Happy Gourmand

Or... Tachs enough already !
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #40
camp guy

Default Sea Ray naming ideas...

My guess is that you spent a lot of time discussing this purchase, with the family in general, and between members of the family, so, my suggestion is to go with CHATS because I am sure you had a lot of them up to this moment, and now, going forward, you will have a lot more - sunsets, quiet rides, and lovely moments.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #41
SIKSUKR

Then CHATS CHOICE.CHATS ENOUGH.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #42
aquabones

I'm looking to buy a used 240 or 260 Sea Ray sundeck. Where should I start to look. I want one that was used in fresh water not salt water.
Thanks for any suggestions.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #43
sum-r breeze

Default Go with the pros!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabones View Post
I'm looking to buy a used 240 or 260 Sea Ray sundeck. Where should I start to look. I want one that was used in fresh water not salt water.
We have been Irwins customers for almost 15 years. The service from them has been nothing short of spectacular! They are always attentive and fair about their prices. We had bad experiences with another marina and when we came to Irwins we found OUR dealer for good. They are the Sea Ray Dealer for the lake and there's a good reason why they have been in business since 1919. I always try to lead people in the right direction for things like this. If someone trades a sea ray for another sea ray they were happy with it!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back

Last edited by sum-r breeze; 07-06-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #44
AmantiDelLago

Default sundeck

We have a 240 sundeck and love it! Works great for our family. We have the 260 HP and don't have any complaints with power or speed. As for towing we tow with a full sized pick up truck with a heavy duty trailer package and don't have any problems. I wouldn't even consider towing this boat with a small SUV like an explorer.....just asking for trouble.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #45
Steveo

Default Sea Ray 240 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabones View Post
I bought our used 240 Sundeck last year from Shep's. I had been looking all summer and this one came up for sale late July. I couldn't find any others in the whole of the lakes region. Shep's told me when he gets them in they go quick. We love the boat!
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #46
gnemiccolo

Default 240 sundeck

Bought one from Irwins 2 yrs ago. LOVE it, great boat for our large family, great size for all our needs. Handles the lake well.
gnemiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote