Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Photo size

I am curious what criteria Photopost uses to determine what pictures can have two size views...one normal and one "supersized". In my own gallery, I have several pictures that can be viewed in two sizes, and probably an equal number that can only be viewed in one size.

Having the ability to have both sizes allows the viewer the opportunity to "scrutinize" the picture, or view higher detail.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Mee-n-Mac

Question And while you've got Don's attention ....

I wonder if there any new guidelines re: pic and file sizes. I generally resize all pics to be somewhere between 1000 and 1200 pixels wide so they fit (or just about fit) on what's normal for a screen width these days. I then compress the file to ... well ... I'm not sure what's a recommended file size. The forum software recompresses (I think) all pics (?) submitted to it so perhaps I should use the least compression possible and let the forum software do it's thing to minimize compression artifacts ?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Keep in mind that I am just a user of the PhotoPost software like you are. I didn't write the program and the only options I have for changes are the settings made available to me in the admin section. When it does strange things I sometimes just have to report it and hope that it gets corrected in the next version.

Here's my understanding of how it works: When you post a picture another program called ImageMagick resizes the original picture into a medium and thumbnail image. As long as the original is less than 2500 X 2500 in size it does not get changed or compressed.

When you view a PhotoPost image you first see the medium size image. When you click on it a few different things can happen depending on the size of the original. If the original is 1200 X 900 or less it gets displayed in a "lightbox". If it is larger than 1200 X 900 it just gets displayed in a new window. Both formats are popups so if you have those disabled you may not be able to see the new window. Also, the lightbox uses JAVA so if that is not installed you may not see the lightbox.

It is always a good idea to process your pictures through photo editing program before posting. Raw images from newer digital cameras can be very large in file size. Posting large (in file size) raw images makes them load slow and eat up large chunks of your quota. One of the criteria I use when removing quotas and restrictions for posters is that the pictures uploaded are of a reasonable size. If you use up your original 10 MB quota with just a few pictures it is unlikely I'll remove the quota since you're using the space so inefficiently.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Thanks Don

I use Adobe PhotoElements to process my photos, and once I have resized them, done all the playing around with them that I am going to do, and get ready to save them for posting, I use PhotoElement's "save to web" feature, will allows for even more compressing of pictures. It literally will reduce the file size to something from 6.x kb to about 40.x kb.

After reading your post, I looked at a few of my pages of photos, and it looks that if the file size is 648x486 or larger, it will do the two size photos.

Thanks for you arnswer, and I know have a better idea of how it all works.

Dave
Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Island Girl

Default Photo resizing

I typically resize my images to 1024 x 768. I use the save to web option on Photoshop which compresses the image. This makes a nice viewing size for a large picture on the web. Because of the compression these look ok, but are not suitable for printing and screensavers. I alway keep a non compressed version for those activities. Most of my pics are 600k-1.2 MB in size before uploading.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Sunbeam lodge

Default Post a Photo

I use I Photo on a Mac. How can I upload a picture to a post?
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote