Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Tips for saving gas (and money) - a positive thread

Use this thread to share your tips for dealing with high gas prices (and the high prices of other necessities).

This thread is intended to help us all be able to salvage as much of our vacation as possible, as we show each other ways we can save money and sanity. How are you beating the high prices this summer?

I'll provide some examples to get things started:

- I try not to let the car idle. When parked at the ATM, I shut it off. There are other places where I shut the car off instead of idle. The mailman has been doing this for years, for the same reason, which is where I got the idea.

- Food prices: I needed to go on a diet anyway. Nothing else was working. Temptation to buy unnecessary (usually unhealthy) items is greatly reduced now that I can say, "I can't afford it." Before the high food prices, I was one of those people who said, "Oh what the heck," and did my paying on the scale. No more! I'm really not paying much more than I was a couple years ago.. I just have less to eat, which is a good thing.

- Getting out on the lake: Paddle power is part of the exercise plan. To quench my desire for cruising the length of the lake, I got the season's pass on the MOUNT which is $79. This has the added bonus that I will not have to waste any part of the summer on boat repairs or maintenance, and won't have to deal with navigating the boat amid the usual boneheads. Instead I can stand at the ship's rail and be entertained by the whole scene.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
hockeypuck

CLA, all good points.

Change the air filter in the car more often.

At home we plan our meals better and always plan to use left overs.

Purchase in bulk and repackage.

Going to the store,first make a phone call to a friend or relative and see if they need anything while you're there.

Car pool.

Shop on line (Pea Pod).
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Ropetow

My mechanic told me that whenever you are stopped (idling) for more than 60 seconds it saves gas to shut down and then re-start the engine.

On the lake, it is quite relaxing to find a relatively quiet cove, drop anchor and enjoy the beauty of the Big Lake rather than running at full-throttle all day long.

At home....switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs. For the past 5+ years the vast majority of our lights/lamps have these. The only regular bulbs I can think of are used in the bathroom vanity. They are more expensive up-front but save energy and last forever. We have never had one burn out yet, except for an outdoor fixture and we changed that once. Just shows that you can be 'green' and 'cheap' at the same time!
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Orion

Default a few more

Keep tires well inflated.

Remove car-top carriers and racks (excess drag).

Allow speed to bleed off some when going up hills (hold steady pressure on gas rather than pressing harder to hold speed) and allow for some slow accelleration down hills.

On your boat, the amount of wake you're making is proportional to the amount of fuel you are using. Get on plane quickly and hold the speed that keeps you on plane (bow is down), or better yet, enjoy the scenery and cruise at hull speed (best economy) which is usually ~ 5-6 mph.

Keep prop in good shape (no bends/burrs) and avoid cavitation (such as when motor trimmed too high).

Best of all, wind, oar, pedal power as stated earlier is best of all - free!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
chipj29

Go into the restaurant rather than sit in the drive thru.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Maybe, do less boating, and go hiking....climb all 48 of the NH 4000' mountains this summer. Get in shape while hiking those steep, sweaty, rocky, White Mountain trails and swatt'n the friendly black flies.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
HUH

Default All great ideas

If only people knew how to drive their automobiles appropriatly we would see alot more motorcycles and small cars on the road. The number one reason SUV drivers give for wanting to own such a dinosaur is SAFETY! Every time I take the bike out im in fear for my life.. Everyone crossing the yellow lines talking on cell phones while sipping a Latte. Operating a 4000 pound peice of machinery should be given %100 percent attention .. im not sure if this is a tip or just a rant
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

Find bakery thrift stores - there's a great one in Chichester, at the circle, where you can find yummy organic breads, rolls, etc. - buy in bulk and freeze.

Buy meat in bulk from a butcher or meat market. We do business with Danis in Pittsfield and get a great rate for it. Calif's also does a freezer stocking program.

Install motion lights for night use rather than burning a porch light, etc., all night.

Replace your drapes with thermal drapes - they keep the heat out in the summer and keep the cold out in the winter. By closing the windows at 9AM this morning and pulling the drapes, we've kept it around 74 degrees inside today but the temp outside has been about 83-92 degrees.

Hang clothes outside to dry vs. running the dryer.

Replace your old computer monitor (CRT monitors) with an LCD display - or get an iMac - no tower and LCD display. Plus, Apple is a "green" company. Shut it down when you're not using it.

If you use a cellphone, keep the "free nights & weekends" or whatever special options you have on your plan in mind. We've recently started using our cells for almost everything but very carefully. Our landline bill was $29 last month but was usually about $75. Better yet - get Skype!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

General rule of thumb. The size of your wake is a good indicator of your gas mileage until you get on plane. The bigger the wake the lower the MPG. Once you get on plane then going faster will drop the MPG again.

Bottom line. Either go no wake or get just on plane to use the least gas for slow and fast.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Sunrise Point

Default Remember the 70's?

Anyone who was driving during the 70's will remember the mandatory 55 MPH speed limit. For those of us who drive up to the lakes on the weekend, driving at 55 or 60 MPH will save a lot of gas.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise Point View Post
Anyone who was driving during the 70's will remember the mandatory 55 MPH speed limit. For those of us who drive up to the lakes on the weekend, driving at 55 or 60 MPH will save a lot of gas.
Probably the biggest point of all. Personally I keep it no faster than 60 now on the highway. This will save much more gas than never allowing it to idle. The difference between say 60 to 65 MPH can add up to a couple more miles per gallon of gas.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #12
Orion

Default slowing down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Probably the biggest point of all. Personally I keep it no faster than 60 now on the highway. This will save much more gas than never allowing it to idle. The difference between say 60 to 65 MPH can add up to a couple more miles per gallon of gas.
dpg, you would have been the only one I passed this weekend . I agree with your savings and approach. I've been driving a lot slower myself. Yesterday I was doing 4-5 mph over the limit (insteady of my former 8-10 over), and I told my wife I've been speeding the whole last hour. She couldn't believe it since we were being passed like we were standing still most of the time. The avg. MPG monitor on the dash does show we are getting at least 2-3 mpg savings with just a 5 mph speed reduction. Much better savings than that with our occasional use full-size van.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
idigtractors

Quote:
Ya, the 55 MPH and remember the long lines at the gas station at 5 in the morning to get your 10 or $15 dollars worth (as that is what the gas stations would allow). The government said that this would never happen again as they were going to solve the problem and it would be the number one thing that they would do. Yep, we don't have the lines, but we sure have the prices. Leave the car in the garage and walk, bike yourself to work no going out to eat and have your neighbors pick up your groceries for ya.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
Mr. V

Tips to economize:

Whenever practical, shop online; car parts, music, clothing, jewelry etc.

When that isn't practical, shop where the price is best.

Eat out less frequently.

Drink at home, and a choose a cheaper brand.

Sell your power boat: switch to sail, or a canoe.

Don't panic and rush out to buy a new car that gets better mpg if your current car is in good shape and is paid for; the car payment will not offset savings in cost of gasoline, unless you put on a whole lot of miles.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
Orion

Default go electric boat.....

Recent issue of Pontoon and Deck Boat (PDB) magazine had a great article on electric boats and motors. Here are some of the links cited:

www.elcoelectriclaunch.com

www.gillgetter.com

www.electracraft.com

www.duffyboats.com

For electric outboards:

www.rayeo.com

www.torqeedo.com

www.marselectricllc.om
Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
angela4design

Thumbs up DollarSavor

Shopping online is great, but it doesn't help out local businesses, so I always felt bad about that. I just tried this new website, where you can save 30-50% at LOCAL businesses by ordering discounted certificates through this site, and print them out at your own computer right away.

http://dollarsavershow.com/Default.aspx?station_id=17

Lots of restaurants to choose from, shoes, attractions, etc.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
dpg

On-line shopping is O.K. till you purchase a 10.00 item and pay 5.95 to ship it from Idaho.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
CanisLupusArctos

Stop buying bottled water (unless yours is unsafe to drink.) In many cases bottled water is from a municipal source and there's nothing exotic about it. Bottled water is a scam! If your tap water is bad you can always get a filter or drill a well.

The bottled water industry also contributes to our country's oil consumption: Plastic bottles are made from oil. Water is very heavy and thus a truck trailer full of bottled water on pallets is about a capacity load by weight - making it one of the greatest fuel-consuming loads that is regularly transported in this country.

Giving up bottled water will not only save you money, it will also help reduce this country's oil consumption.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #19
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
Stop buying bottled water (unless yours is unsafe to drink.) In many cases bottled water is from a municipal source and there's nothing exotic about it. Bottled water is a scam! If your tap water is bad you can always get a filter or drill a well.

The bottled water industry also contributes to our country's oil consumption: Plastic bottles are made from oil. Water is very heavy and thus a truck trailer full of bottled water on pallets is about a capacity load by weight - making it one of the greatest fuel-consuming loads that is regularly transported in this country.

Giving up bottled water will not only save you money, it will also help reduce this country's oil consumption.
I agree, but you can't argue with the convenience of having serving size bottles ready to put in the cooler for a day on the water.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
gtxrider

Default Can't drive 55!

Quote:
I agree. I have a computer in my Blazer that reads MPG and there is a big difference between 55 and 65. Only trouble is that if you do under 70MPH on the roads people will let you know you are #1. (Love Joisey)

If you put BIGGER tires on the rear wheels the car will always be going down hill increasing mileage
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #21
John A. Birdsall

Default gas savings

I have noticed that I save a lot of gas by backing off the trottle once I get on a plane. I seen too many boats plowing water this weekend, its costing them much in gas and making a big wake. Perhaps they should reduce the speed on the whole lake to a no wake zone. People would be out on the lake moving about, and then they would save gas while they enjoy the scenery.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #22
Dave R

Install a fuel flow meter in your power boat. I recently put in a Lowrance LMF-200 multi-function gauge with a fuel flow sender and a paddle wheel speed sender. It replaced my fuel level gauge and was pathetically simple to install. It gives me speed, fuel used, fuel remaining, GPH and MPG. Cost me $187 for everything. Lowrance offers a huge selection of accessory senders and other companies offer compatible senders as well. I can easily add: trim tab indicators, tachometer, engine temperature, engine oil pressure, engine coolant pressure, waste tank level, water tank level, fuel tank level, outside air temperature, and water temperature.

I discovered that my boat is substantially more efficient (20%+) at 28-32 MPH than anywhere else in it's speed range except idle speed (in gear). Even a slight nudge above idle speed brings my MPG down below what I get at 30 MPH. Plowing along at "max wake" speed used 2.5 times the fuel of 30 MPH.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #23
Sman

Default speed limit

Like others I have read a lot about slowing down and bringing your car up to speed slower to conserve fuel, so I decided to check those ideas out, not that I doubted it but I was looking to put my own numbers to it, with my car.

I drive a TDI wagon (Diesel) its a standard. I check my mpg on most fillups, more so lately. I almost always gets 48 mpg, during warm months. I get about 600 miles/tank on about 12.5 gals.

I did not start my test till I had already burned about 1/3 of a tank... and I still improved my mileage to 51.75 mpg. I have never seen it that good. In general the change was that I just slowed down and shifted earlier, trying to keep rpms around 2000 as a max.

One of my observations not related to gas....driving 55 mph on route 95, in my opinion is actually dangerous....its almost too slow for normal traffic on the main highways. You kind of feel like a sitting duck with traffic/trucks/etc flying by you at 70+. I wasn't crazy about it.

The other observation is buy a diesel car... I know, it does not burn as clean, but burns much less fuel than most cars. There just are not many options and VW stopped making them, VW is supposed to come out with a cleaner burning diesel engine, not sure when. Even with diesel prices as high as they are it is still better than our other car at 25mpg burning 87.

Not necessarily an advocate of reducing the speed limit, but in my simple experiment it does save a few bucks
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #24
dpg

How about maybe voting officials into office that actually care about things like gas prices. A president who actually cares about this country and not taking care of the whole rest of the world would also be a good thing.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #25
Orion

Default positive?

dpg, you just violated the intent of this thread, and to keep this message positive, I'm positive you violated the intent of the thread.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #26
Sal

On major highways, use your cruise-control. It increases gas mileage by avoiding surging and slowing. On 93, I set mine on 63 MPH. I rarely pass anyone at this speed and I do get passed by almost everyone. It actually makes driving less "competitive" and more relaxing.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #27
Seeker

Cut your number of shopping trips by buying in bulk when possible. Maybe set up a schedule with a couple friends to go together.

Keep the bottom of your boat clean, wipe off any slime that accumulates.

Don't overload your boat (or vehicle for that matter). Excess weight=more fuel required.

Roll your vehicle windows down and enjoy the fresh air. Shut off the A/C.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #28
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
But remember, windows down is a fuel saver when crusing around town. Once you hit "highway speed" (~55 MPH and up) you're better off using the AC and keeping your windows up.

Heck, I just want the temperature to get back to the point where we don't even have to worry about AC!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
As HT pointed out,if around town at slow speeds that will save gas.I have seen studies that show at highway speeds it does not save gas over using the AC.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #30
chipj29

Days like today, there is no way I am turning off my car a/c to save a buck or too. No way. Maybe I am selfish...oh well.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #31
dpg

Quote:

My wife drives a Nissan, the owners manual actually says it's more fuel efficient at I believe 50+ MPH to use the AC instead of opening windows because of drag on the vehicle.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #32
Chris Craft

I got a hybrid Ford Escape. The savings in fuel over my larger truck pay for not only the hybrid but also the insurance. So far at 30MPH I see about 40-43 mpg (mine is a 4wd). At 65 I average 33 MPG, at 75 I average 31 MPG in the warmer weather (cold effects hybrid milage by about 4-5 mpg). That is just driving like normal not doing anything special to try and save gas. What I have noticed is by aplying what I learn in that car gas milage increases in every car I own. I can get 36 mpg in my wifes Saab at 65 now with out much effort!!

I have not seen anyone mention tires. Certain tires have less rolling resistance then others. Others have already mentioned inflation.

I give a lot more thought to my trips and stops to make them in a more organized efficient mannor.

The house I re-insulated. You get tax credits for it. I am also going to upgrade the windows this summer and change out the wood fireplace for a gas insert.....
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #33
Chris Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
As HT pointed out,if around town at slow speeds that will save gas.I have seen studies that show at highway speeds it does not save gas over using the AC.
Most hybrids including the Ford Escape will do better with the windows down then turning on the AC. That being said I am with the others that say my comfort is worth more to me then the loss of 1/2-1 mile per gallon with the AC on. The hybrid can be put into a mode that the car will still shut off at slower speeds with the ac on. You obviously will have temperature fluctuations as the AC can not make cold with the motor off but you will see very little in the way of MPG lost in that mode.

Every electronic device in your car adds draw on your milage. Lights on in the day, stereo, GPS....... You can only go so far with the savings...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #34
Mr. V

The notion that we can make a difference by doing little things is understandable, I suppose, but put it in perspective.

Pretty much everything we buy comes to us after being shipped by truck, or train, or plane.

All three pollute badly.

Unless or until this changes, buying a Hybrid or taking similar action is akin to removing a twig from a forest fire.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #35
dpg

At highway speed a car is more fuel efficient with the A/C on...Less drag than opening the windows.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #36
Chris Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
The notion that we can make a difference by doing little things is understandable, I suppose, but put it in perspective.

Pretty much everything we buy comes to us after being shipped by truck, or train, or plane.

All three pollute badly.

Unless or until this changes, buying a Hybrid or taking similar action is akin to removing a twig from a forest fire.
I agree that my hybrid is not going to change your life but it shure has changed mine, just in fuel savings alone!!! Now if we can only get it like CA were they have special hybrid parking next to the handicap spots I will be psyched!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #37
neckdweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Craft View Post
Every electronic device in your car adds draw on your milage. Lights on in the day, stereo, GPS....... You can only go so far with the savings...
Really? I never knew that.

As for the observation of sman, I'll concur that driving 55 on Route 95, at least in the stretch that I drive (North Shore MA-NH), could quite likely get you killed. High priced gas or not, everyone flies on that stretch of highway.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #38
2Blackdogs

Orion wrote:
Quote:
Allow speed to bleed off some when going up hills (hold steady pressure on gas rather than pressing harder to hold speed) and allow for some slow accelleration down hills.
Then what is your opinion on "cruise control" as an economizer?
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #39
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post
Orion wrote:

Our best mileage in our VW Passat was in light traffic on Rte 101 west of Manchester with cruise control set to 50. Trip computer said we were getting 49 mpg. Haven't duplicated it since.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #40
Chris Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckdweller View Post
Really? I never knew that.

As for the observation of sman, I'll concur that driving 55 on Route 95, at least in the stretch that I drive (North Shore MA-NH), could quite likely get you killed. High priced gas or not, everyone flies on that stretch of highway.
Anything electric device draws power off the battery requiring your alternator to work harder. The harder your alternator works (for example to run the blower when your ac is set to max) the lower your fuel economy because of the added drag on the engine. That is where the hybrids make up so much of their fuel economy. They use the slowing down of the car (momentum) to generate power back into the car.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #41
Orion

Default depends on your attentiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Blackdogs View Post

Cruise control is better for maintaining a steady speed and provides savings over not paying attention to throttle settings, but someone who is really trying to squeeze every mile can do a little better by allowing the speed to vary somewhat and paying close attention to throttle movement. I generally use cruise control myself on the highway, but on hilly back roads, I let the speed vary a bit (but I don't hold up traffic!).

One other fuel saver I don't think was mentioned was using synthetic oil. It provides the best lubrication at minimal viscocity (doesn't get thick when cool).

As a nation, we need to use more rail transport. A recent ad by the train industry cited moving 1 ton 430 miles on 1 gal of fuel. Trucks have been used more for convenience and speed of delivery, but cross-country transport by rail would save huge amounts of fuel and relieve the congestion a bit with fewer trucks on the highways.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #42
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
...... A recent ad by the train industry cited moving 1 ton 430 miles on 1 gal of fuel......
Be interesting how it figures out with tractor trailers. For example, a loaded TT carries 40 tons and if it gets 5 miles to the gallon, then a ton goes 200 miles on a gallon of diesel. Lots of ways to play with numbers
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #43
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
As a nation, we need to use more rail transport. A recent ad by the train industry cited moving 1 ton 430 miles on 1 gal of fuel. Trucks have been used more for convenience and speed of delivery, but cross-country transport by rail would save huge amounts of fuel and relieve the congestion a bit with fewer trucks on the highways.
[rant]
This is supposed to be a positive thread on fuel economy; not a RR lobby-type solution thread.

The RR delivers to major areas, in some states.

Try having a large boat delivered to the Lake - think Mount.

Not going to happen - not profitable, without taxpayer influx of $$$$$$$.

The RR hauls freight on private property - no weight limits.

Just for jiggles and giggles...

1 truck of gross weight 80 tons, at 6 mpg, moves 1 ton 480 miles on 1 gal of fuel.
[/rant]
Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #44
loony

Default power consumption vs MPG

The rule of thumb for a typical car is that a 400Watt increase translates to a loss of 1MPG in fuel economy. The smaller the car the greater the loss (and vice versa).
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #45
Dave R

Thought of a neat way to save gas. Rescind no rafting and no overnight anchoring laws. This way boaters would spend more time at anchor and less time going to and from anchorages on day trips. They could also allow one night overnight docking at town docks (perhaps with a fee?) and bring in more revenue for lakeside businesses too. We anchor overnight often on lakes in Maine and it's fun and peaceful.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #46
TimmyG

Default Saving Gas

I have a BMW 540i with a 4.4L V-8 with a 6 speed. Anyone familiar with a BMW knows they have a vacuum meter on the dash that represents actual MPG. I drive 65 miles one way to work near Boston and by keeping an eye on the needle and keeping it as close to or above the 30 line, I get between 26.4 and 29.7 MPG doing an average of 80 MPH on 93 south.

I found that if I control the acceleration I get much better MPG. I love going from 0 to 80 as fast as I can, but when I take it easy I go from 19MPG to 27-29.

TG
TimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #47
fatlazyless

Default Citroen Deux Chevaux

Could be time to bring back the Citroen Deux Chevaux, an economical little car designed for France just after the war.

The Deux Chevaux is one car that I have never seen in New Hampshire. Probably, one still lives in the Boston area, somewhere. it was an economical car made for the post-war economy of France.

Message to France President Sarkozy. Please return this summer to Wolfeboro, and bring along a Deux Chevaux!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #48
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Could be time to bring back the Citroen Deux Chevaux, an economical little car designed for France just after the war.

The Deux Chevaux is one car that I have never seen in New Hampshire. Probably, one still lives in the Boston area, somewhere. it was an economical car made for the post-war economy of France.

Message to France President Sarkozy. Please return this summer to Wolfeboro, and bring along a Deux Chevaux!

Ah yeah, the old 2CV. Seen many in Europe, none here. Canvas sling seats, 2 cylinders (probably where the name comes from), 30 HP-maybe?? Funny looking things, but they sold millions of them. About as spartan as you could make a car, but pretty rugged, I hear. Performance was on par with Massey Ferguson farm implements.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #49
fatlazyless

...wow, what a picture...talk about an econo-box...the background looks just like New Hampshire.

Except for the headlights, that car looks like it is somewhat similar in size and design to a Toyota Prius. The Deux Chevaux was first sold in France in 1948, about the same time as the VW bug was first sold in Germany.

If gasoline costs five or six dollars, will the US see a return to vehicles similar to the Deux Chevaux? It was a small, four seat, light weight car with a two cylinder engine and an unusual manual transmission that came out of of the dash board.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #50
fatnoah

Here's one! Live in a city. My wife, 8 month old son, and I live in downtown Boston. We have one car and put a little less than 10,000 miles a year on it. Our monthly gas budget is $150 for a car that only gets about 22 mpg (actual mileage, not EPA guesstimate).

On any most days the week, there is at least one farmers' market reachable by public transportation so locally grown fresh produce can get gotten without even getting into the car.

We are certainly saving money on gas...but income taxes, not so much!
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #51
Gearhead

Default Is that the "Green Cricket"?

Someone around Rochester has a 2CV! I saw someone pull up to an auto parts store as my son and I were walking out. He said that he'd had it for a while. What a wretched mess of engineering. I suppose they could make a hybrid out of it pretty easily: just mount a big key to the trunk and get out and wind it up when you're stopped in traffic.

Here's some real good advice on saving money: Buy a pellet stove and use it all the time in the Winter. Pellets are made here in NH and are renewable. They are also very clean burning and will heat an average house (2,000SF) for about $1,000 a year. The only thing cheaper might be wood, if you don't mind the constant tending and maintenance. The flue pipe on our stove never gets too hot to touch, even when it's going full on. We used our oil furnace exactly one time - the stove ran out of pellets when we were gone - and I ran the furnace for thirty minutes until the house was warm again. Our house was at least seventy degrees all Winter too.

If only I could run my car with pellets...
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #52
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post

Here's some real good advice on saving money: Buy a pellet stove and use it all the time in the Winter.
Don't the pellets take forever to split and stack though?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #53
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Don't the pellets take forever to split and stack though?
What takes the most time is turning that cordwood into sawdust first and then compressing it into those tiny pellets.Seems like a lot of work.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #54
jrc

Quote:
Ah yeah, the old 2CV. Seen many in Europe, none here. Canvas sling seats, 2 cylinders (probably where the name comes from), 30 HP-maybe?? ....
Deux Chevaux = 2 horses = 2hp for tax purposes, but actually they started out around 9hp and as time went on they grew to 33 hp.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #55
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Install a fuel flow meter in your power boat. I recently put in a Lowrance LMF-200 multi-function gauge with a fuel flow sender and a paddle wheel speed sender. It replaced my fuel level gauge and was pathetically simple to install. It gives me speed, fuel used, fuel remaining, GPH and MPG. Cost me $187 for everything. Lowrance offers a huge selection of accessory senders and other companies offer compatible senders as well. I can easily add: trim tab indicators, tachometer, engine temperature, engine oil pressure, engine coolant pressure, waste tank level, water tank level, fuel tank level, outside air temperature, and water temperature.

I discovered that my boat is substantially more efficient (20%+) at 28-32 MPH than anywhere else in it's speed range except idle speed (in gear). Even a slight nudge above idle speed brings my MPG down below what I get at 30 MPH. Plowing along at "max wake" speed used 2.5 times the fuel of 30 MPH.
Dave R,
Ordered my Lowrance LMF-200 yesterday.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote