Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Tips for saving gas (and money) - a positive thread

Use this thread to share your tips for dealing with high gas prices (and the high prices of other necessities).

This thread is intended to help us all be able to salvage as much of our vacation as possible, as we show each other ways we can save money and sanity. How are you beating the high prices this summer?

I'll provide some examples to get things started:

- I try not to let the car idle. When parked at the ATM, I shut it off. There are other places where I shut the car off instead of idle. The mailman has been doing this for years, for the same reason, which is where I got the idea.

- Food prices: I needed to go on a diet anyway. Nothing else was working. Temptation to buy unnecessary (usually unhealthy) items is greatly reduced now that I can say, "I can't afford it." Before the high food prices, I was one of those people who said, "Oh what the heck," and did my paying on the scale. No more! I'm really not paying much more than I was a couple years ago.. I just have less to eat, which is a good thing.

- Getting out on the lake: Paddle power is part of the exercise plan. To quench my desire for cruising the length of the lake, I got the season's pass on the MOUNT which is $79. This has the added bonus that I will not have to waste any part of the summer on boat repairs or maintenance, and won't have to deal with navigating the boat amid the usual boneheads. Instead I can stand at the ship's rail and be entertained by the whole scene.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote