Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Steve Di.

Default Winni Classifieds Flooded By Dealers.

Since when did the Winni.com classified section become an extension of Irwin Marine? There must be 30 ads for their boats on the free classified ad section of this site. I would visit their web site if I wanted to look at their boats.

I thought this site was for private parties! Why should dealers be allowed to flood a "for free" web site that was once a great venue for private parties to sell their boats?
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
fpartri497

Default classifieds adds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di.
Since when did the Winni.com classified section become an extension of Irwin Marine? There must be 30 ads for their boats on the free classified ad section of this site. I would visit their web site if I wanted to look at their boats.

I thought this site was for private parties! Why should dealers be allowed to flood a "for free" web site that was once a great venue for private parties to sell their boats?
And what about the real estate adds that are constantly run here?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Dealers and Real Estate agents can use the classifieds like everyone else but no one should flood the classifieds with ads.

I have stopped the flood of ads from Irwin Marine and I won't let it happen again.

Don
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Charlie T

Default Charge em

Perhaps rather than Banning the commercial ad's the webmaster could charge them a buck or two per ad with the notation on the ad that it is a "paid commercial advertising" This would be a rather cheap ad for the poster and more importantly it would add some revenue to the coffers of the Webmaster. He certainly deserves any support he can get for this great resource.

Just a Thought

C
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Steve Di.

Default I Like It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T
Perhaps rather than Banning the commercial ad's the webmaster could charge them a buck or two per ad... it would add some revenue to the coffers of the Webmaster.
I like the idea.....after all, the dealers will potentially be making money of the ads they place. The impression I have of their ads is they are exploiting a large boating audience for their own gain, and the access to this audience is free.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T
Perhaps rather than Banning the commercial ad's the webmaster could charge them a buck or two per ad
I am currently testing 2 systems to do just that, although it will apply to all ads. I haven't decided which method to use or worked out the details yet.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
DREAMS

Smile Get Rid Of Commercial Ads From Dealers/RE Agents

I agree that this site appeared to be originated as an informational site for which the local community is very gratefull for Don's hard work and dedication to the communities and lack of compensation from readers.

It has got to the point for quite some time that all marina's including Silver Sands as well as Irwins are using this site to post free ads. In addition, we all recognize the agent names from Caldwell Bankers/Preferred Properties as well as Century 21, Schmidt Realty - the list goes on. Like the others said, if we wanted to view their listings, we would go to their website.

This website should be for the private homeowner extending out a private sale to their local community and neighbor for which often there is not a lot of profit made or someone needs to unload an item quickly.

We ask and hope Don that you rid your very valuable site of these companies taking over the readers options and choices which become a great turnoff to your site.

Thanks for listening to your audience. Once again, we appreicate your hard work and dedication to all of us for this site!
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
robertk

Default Ads Might Be Okay

I agree that it would be nice to keep this site relatively free of obvious advertising. However, it must take a fair amount of work (and money) to maintain it. Perhaps there's a way to accept advertisng but keep the ads less conspicuous than other sites. Maybe people could be redirected to a different location to actually view the ads. It's a good service and deserves to be supported somehow.
robertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up Commercial ads and banners are OK

They do offer valuable service to the Winnipesaukee community. Perhaps seperate the commercial from private ads in seperate categories.

Its tough times folks. The marinas are doing everything they can to get the word out that they have this and that. I see them in EBay and Craigslist. I bought a boat in Virginia last year through EBay. The price was right and the boat and accessories fits my need.

I even advertise on Winnipesaukee for a job!