Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2023, 11:11 PM   #1
Jabonie
Junior Member
 
Jabonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Default Fire at Hunters IGA in Wolfeboro?

Hearing second alarm, additional ladder trucks requested, exterior operations only. Anyone local confirm?
Jabonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:21 AM   #2
Resident 2B
Senior Member
 
Resident 2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bradenton, FL and North Shore, MA
Posts: 1,344
Thanks: 971
Thanked 307 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Full 3rd alarm right now, with additional equipment requests for manpower and air supply. Hunters Shop n Save 60 South Main, directly across from the park. Tough situation. Stay safe everyone working.

Last edited by Resident 2B; 01-17-2023 at 12:22 AM. Reason: added info
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
DotRat (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 12:24 AM   #3
C-Bass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 132
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Looks like a rough situation


https://www.necn.com/news/local/larg...ro-nh/2909207/
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:18 AM   #4
pondguy
Senior Member
 
pondguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 211
Thanks: 522
Thanked 172 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Looks to be a total loss. https://www.wmur.com/article/wolfebo...11623/42527361
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:28 AM   #5
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,013
Thanks: 662
Thanked 1,274 Times in 883 Posts
Default

This is so very sad. My heart goes out to all involved.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 5,567
Thanks: 2,151
Thanked 4,602 Times in 1,769 Posts
Default Very Sad

This is really sad...such a staple and well respected business in the community... many employees have worked there for years now gone completely is just a shame.

So sad...

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:55 AM   #7
nj2nh
Senior Member
 
nj2nh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 510
Thanks: 60
Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Default Fire at Hunters IGA in Wolfeboro?

Hunterís was the only market around when I was a kid in the sixties and seventies and even into the eighties. Not only a loss for Wolfeboro and the many employees, but for family histories as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nj2nh For This Useful Post:
Grant (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 10:13 AM   #8
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 2,055
Thanks: 1,015
Thanked 872 Times in 541 Posts
Default

A terrible loss. Really a great store with good people, good food, friendly atmosphere. Let's hope they can rebuild
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Grant (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 10:54 AM   #9
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 1,074
Thanks: 262
Thanked 442 Times in 255 Posts
Default Fire at Hunters IGA in Wolfeboro

Tragic. Hunters was a store full of great stuff, but best "stuff" of all was the employee staff. To a person, everyone one of the staff was helpful, friendly, and nice to know.
When I was downtown early this morning, I looked at the site and amidst all the rubble stood their flagpole with the "stars and stripes" still flying (sort of brings a lump to the back of your throat).
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Descant (01-17-2023), ishoot308 (01-17-2023), Rattlesnake Gal (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 10:58 AM   #10
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,013
Thanks: 662
Thanked 1,274 Times in 883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Tragic. Hunters was a store full of great stuff, but best "stuff" of all was the employee staff. To a person, everyone one of the staff was helpful, friendly, and nice to know.
When I was downtown early this morning, I looked at the site and amidst all the rubble stood their flagpole with the "stars and stripes" still flying (sort of brings a lump to the back of your throat).
Yes, that was amazing, wasn't it?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:32 PM   #11
root1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 42
Thanks: 12
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I hope they rebuild; and NOT sell-out to a condo developer.
Hunter's store and their employees are an asset to the town.
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to root1 For This Useful Post:
Grant (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #12
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,673
Thanks: 1,077
Thanked 1,374 Times in 891 Posts
Default Local help

I'm sure the local residents will do everything they can to help rebuild this valuable local asset. Certainly, it is a tragic loss. Please post here if there is a way us summer folk can help.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
beagle (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 03:14 PM   #13
BrownstoneNorth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 202
Thanks: 103
Thanked 114 Times in 66 Posts
Default Hunter's plans to rebuild their grocery store

Per Chamber of Commerce Facebook post:

Wolfeboro Area Chamber of Commerce
3h ∑
ďThe good people in charge of Hunter's Shop 'n Save tell us yes, Hunter's will be back "as quick as possible". It will be rebuilt. The store and its people are such a huge part of the Wolfeboro community! Difficult to see today's devastation, and grateful everyone is okayĒ
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BrownstoneNorth For This Useful Post:
baerkjkr (01-18-2023), BoatHouse (01-17-2023), FlyingScot (01-17-2023), harbor guy (01-17-2023), pondguy (01-17-2023), Rattlesnake Gal (01-17-2023), root1 (01-17-2023), TCC (01-17-2023), TheTimeTraveler (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 10:12 PM   #14
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 738
Thanks: 231
Thanked 232 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Do any of you folks remember when this was the A&P store ?

And Harvest Market used to be The First National Store ?


The entire fire situation is a shame. I'm confident that when they build back they will build back so that the store aisles will flow much better, and products will be better displayed for 2023 living (i.e. bigger frozen food sections, better Produce Department, etc).

Granted, their space is limited but imagine if they build the new building with a full basement so that can serve as their new backroom storage, and convert the current backrooms to retail space..... I'm sure there are a ton of ideas out there.

They'll be back. After all it is a thriving successful business, and I don't believe Harvest Market will be able to fill the void that Hunters would leave if they didn't build back.

Let's all wish them speed and luck!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:15 PM   #15
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida (Sebring & Keys), Wolfeboro
Posts: 5,583
Thanks: 1,880
Thanked 700 Times in 502 Posts
Thumbs up Supporting Hunter's...

For their employees, a GoFundMe page has been established:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-f...ers-of-hunters

BTW: This is their second fire in recent history. I know that, because I've saved the T-shirt they handed out...

Hope they open the bakery first, as my visitors won't settle for anything less when it comes to Hunter's Whoopie Pies.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (01-17-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 05:52 AM   #16
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 1,131
Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,118 Posts
Default

Anyone know how long it takes to rebuild something like this?

Also, it's great to see local businesses contributing to that GoFundMe.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:57 PM   #17
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 1,074
Thanks: 262
Thanked 442 Times in 255 Posts
Default Fire at Hunters IGA in Wolfeboro

Like I said in an earlier post, "tragic". But, let's not lose sight of the absolutely fabulous job the Wolfeboro Fire Department, and all the other Departments who responded to the multiple alarm mutual aid call did to save the buildings to the side and rear of Hunters. The quick thinking by the Incident Commander to change the effort from trying to extinguish Hunters to preserving the neighborhood undoubtedly saved those buildings, and probably lives. All the responding Departments deserve the highest level of THANK YOU.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
nj2nh (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 06:48 PM   #18
nj2nh
Senior Member
 
nj2nh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 510
Thanks: 60
Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Do any of you folks remember when this was the A&P store ?

And Harvest Market used to be The First National Store ?


The entire fire situation is a shame. I'm confident that when they build back they will build back so that the store aisles will flow much better, and products will be better displayed for 2023 living (i.e. bigger frozen food sections, better Produce Department, etc).

Granted, their space is limited but imagine if they build the new building with a full basement so that can serve as their new backroom storage, and convert the current backrooms to retail space..... I'm sure there are a ton of ideas out there.

They'll be back. After all it is a thriving successful business, and I don't believe Harvest Market will be able to fill the void that Hunters would leave if they didn't build back.

Let's all wish them speed and luck!
I hope they rebuild it just as it was. The charm and comfort of the decor was wonderful. If I want a fancy market, I can go to Hannafords in Alton.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
nj2nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:50 PM   #19
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 2,055
Thanks: 1,015
Thanked 872 Times in 541 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
I hope they rebuild it just as it was. The charm and comfort of the decor was wonderful. If I want a fancy market, I can go to Hannafords in Alton.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I leave the specifics to them, but I agree that Hunters was charming, comfortable, and did not feel like a big place. I home those traits are retained
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:52 AM   #20
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,013
Thanks: 662
Thanked 1,274 Times in 883 Posts
Default

If they change too much it could take years to get it approved by the town.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:31 AM   #21
DBreskin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wolfeboro NH
Posts: 278
Thanks: 143
Thanked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I looked at the site and amidst all the rubble stood their flagpole with the "stars and stripes" still flying
I read a report that one of the first firefighters in the door found the flag stored in its normal overnight spot near the front door and removed it. The flag was raised again after the fire had been extinguished.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
beagle (01-21-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 11:13 AM   #22
DRH
Senior Member
 
DRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Meredith
Posts: 1,656
Thanks: 1,112
Thanked 638 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Do any of you folks remember when this was the A&P store ?
Yes I do! My family started vacationing in Wolfeboro in the mid-60s and I think it was an A&P then. At some point it changed to an IGA. My father used to know Mr. Hunter, the original owner.
__________________
DRH
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:53 PM   #23
gokart-mozart
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 179
Thanks: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Default Investigation of the Fire

A chain link fence has gone up around the rubble @ Hunter's.

There is a sign posted that reads; "NOTICE: This fire is currently under investigation and critical evidentiary items are present. Do not move, alter, destroy or remove anything from the area described below. Do not enter."

The sign is posted by Fire and Explosion Investigations, Inc., a Private Investigations firm based in Monmouth, ME (at least that's their PO Box).

Does anyone know if the involvement of investigators like this (other than the Wolfeboro FD and the State Fire Marshal) is normal at this point, or does it imply that there's something suspicious?
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #24
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 2,055
Thanks: 1,015
Thanked 872 Times in 541 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
A chain link fence has gone up around the rubble @ Hunter's.

There is a sign posted that reads; "NOTICE: This fire is currently under investigation and critical evidentiary items are present. Do not move, alter, destroy or remove anything from the area described below. Do not enter."

The sign is posted by Fire and Explosion Investigations, Inc., a Private Investigations firm based in Monmouth, ME (at least that's their PO Box).

Does anyone know if the involvement of investigators like this (other than the Wolfeboro FD and the State Fire Marshal) is normal at this point, or does it imply that there's something suspicious?
If I were the insurance company, I would insist on this for almost any fire. Therefore, nothing noteworthy
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:18 PM   #25
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 327
Thanks: 4
Thanked 65 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
A chain link fence has gone up around the rubble @ Hunter's.

There is a sign posted that reads; "NOTICE: This fire is currently under investigation and critical evidentiary items are present. Do not move, alter, destroy or remove anything from the area described below. Do not enter."

The sign is posted by Fire and Explosion Investigations, Inc., a Private Investigations firm based in Monmouth, ME (at least that's their PO Box).

Does anyone know if the involvement of investigators like this (other than the Wolfeboro FD and the State Fire Marshal) is normal at this point, or does it imply that there's something suspicious?
Very normal for any fire.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:21 PM   #26
Fishinfergy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Newburyport & Laconia
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Most all fires will be investigated by a third-party from the insurance company. They do it for subrogation purposes. To see if they can recoup from whatever the cause may have been. This preserves the evidence until all parties are able to inspect.
Fishinfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:24 PM   #27
root1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 42
Thanks: 12
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

An insurance company's primary objective, as with all public corporations, is to make money for their stockholders. Of significant note, is their uncanny ability to deny claims.

For starters, they will search for any dated construction materials from the rubble; Romex, porcelain fixtures, PVC pipe, structural steel, door frames, etc.; and then obtain copies of all construction/repair permits. If they find any discrepancies, the claim will most likely be denied; citing the unauthorized repairs contributed to the fire.

I'm praying the loss is covered and wish Hunter's a quick recovery.
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM   #28
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 1,249
Thanks: 54
Thanked 220 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
An insurance company's primary objective, as with all public corporations, is to make money for their stockholders. Of significant note, is their uncanny ability to deny claims.

For starters, they will search for any dated construction materials from the rubble; Romex, porcelain fixtures, PVC pipe, structural steel, door frames, etc.; and then obtain copies of all construction/repair permits. If they find any discrepancies, the claim will most likely be denied; citing the unauthorized repairs contributed to the fire.
This theory is a REAL stretch.
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
MRD (01-23-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 10:56 PM   #29
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,673
Thanks: 1,077
Thanked 1,374 Times in 891 Posts
Default

I think fire is fire unless purposely set, the owners will get their money. Looking at all those other factors is more likely to provide opportunities for subrogation, or to limit the use of particular products in the future.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
MRD (01-23-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 10:42 AM   #30
Billy Bob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tiera Verdi Fl & Moultonborough
Posts: 293
Thanks: 114
Thanked 146 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
An insurance company's primary objective, as with all public corporations, is to make money for their stockholders. Of significant note, is their uncanny ability to deny claims.

For starters, they will search for any dated construction materials from the rubble; Romex, porcelain fixtures, PVC pipe, structural steel, door frames, etc.; and then obtain copies of all construction/repair permits. If they find any discrepancies, the claim will most likely be denied; citing the unauthorized repairs contributed to the fire.

I'm praying the loss is covered and wish Hunter's a quick recovery.
And denying a claim on a fire of this type would result in a law suit that would cost the insurance company more then the claim. This might seem like a big claim to the average guy but itís a small deal to a decent size insurance company.
Some legitimate discussion of the payout and values might occur but if the owner bought proper coverage and placed realistic values on what was insured the claim will be paid . ( prayers only needed for the under insured )
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
lakewind (01-31-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 05:51 PM   #31
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,660
Thanks: 933
Thanked 821 Times in 473 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Anyone know how long it takes to rebuild something like this?

Also, it's great to see local businesses contributing to that GoFundMe.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
As I have recently been involved in fire incident at a property I own part of... the process and time table for a rebuild is anything but certain. Once the building is turned over to the insurance company, they will do an investigation if they start to find evidence that there is a culprit that could have led to the fire, they will keep the property locked, until a determination can be made, and any additional investigation take place. This could take anywhere form a week to several months.

Step two in the process, is getting a building and site plan ready to go, this includes understand what upgrades will be need to bring a new or rebuilt structure to current codes. Then then it all goes to the insurance company who will debate what coverage the building owner actually have, and there will be again some back and forth to get to a final settlement. Agian this could take a week or several months....

Then of course bid for the work have to be put out and some company has to b id successfully, and be available for the job...

While some of this work can be going on in Parallel, it is not as fast as one might think, especially if the insurance company finds a cause that the can subrogate against to recover some of the loss.... I would be very surprised if something got completed this year..... But hopefully by summer 2024.....
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LIforrelaxin For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 05:57 PM   #32
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,630
Thanks: 1,131
Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
As I have recently been involved in fire incident at a property I own part of... the process and time table for a rebuild is anything but certain. Once the building is turned over to the insurance company, they will do an investigation if they start to find evidence that there is a culprit that could have led to the fire, they will keep the property locked, until a determination can be made, and any additional investigation take place. This could take anywhere form a week to several months.

Step two in the process, is getting a building and site plan ready to go, this includes understand what upgrades will be need to bring a new or rebuilt structure to current codes. Then then it all goes to the insurance company who will debate what coverage the building owner actually have, and there will be again some back and forth to get to a final settlement. Agian this could take a week or several months....

Then of course bid for the work have to be put out and some company has to b id successfully, and be available for the job...

While some of this work can be going on in Parallel, it is not as fast as one might think, especially if the insurance company finds a cause that the can subrogate against to recover some of the loss.... I would be very surprised if something got completed this year..... But hopefully by summer 2024.....
Thanks for the info. Does insurance cover anything in terms of wages/lost work?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:18 PM   #33
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 1,249
Thanks: 54
Thanked 220 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Thanks for the info. Does insurance cover anything in terms of wages/lost work?
Business interruption insurance can cover payroll, provided they had that form of insurance.

Otherwise, no.

Given the difficulty other businesses seem to having finding employees, I should think the affected workers can find new work immediately and perhaps return when and if the store is rebuilt.
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (01-24-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:29 PM   #34
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 1,074
Thanks: 262
Thanked 442 Times in 255 Posts
Default Hunter's fire

There have been a lot of posts about this topic - and rightfully so, after all, it isn't everyday fire of this magnitude occurs. But, I would like to add a big dose of "caution" to the situation. There is only a very small handful of people who can answer the questions and speculations that are popping up. Questions about insurance for this particular incident can only be answered by the principals, same with rebuilding schedules, or any other piece of the situation. So, before this thread gets too far down the road without any of the principals involved, I am saying we need to be very cautious. Thank you.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:56 PM   #35
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 559
Thanked 1,992 Times in 826 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post

Then of course bid for the work have to be put out and some company has to b id successfully, and be available for the job...
This is private property. There is no need for it to be "put out to bid". The owners could already be working with architects and contractors for a rebuild design. They may have already selected a favorite builder/contractor who they wish to use to construct the new building.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:45 AM   #36
radar4401
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 57
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Rebuilding

FWIW, If they rebuild, it would be helpful to them if they could buy the property behind them. It's a vacant lot and would give them a lot more space but also complicate the rebuilding process.
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:54 AM   #37
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,660
Thanks: 933
Thanked 821 Times in 473 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
This is private property. There is no need for it to be "put out to bid". The owners could already be working with architects and contractors for a rebuild design. They may have already selected a favorite builder/contractor who they wish to use to construct the new building.
If they where just going to rebuild and not be concerned about insurance I would agree.... However the insurance company isn't going to just open there check book and say what ever it takes. It is in the best interested of everyone involved to go through a bidding process. There will also likely be a private insurance adjuster involved to help get the greatest recovery from the insurance company.
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:06 PM   #38
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 559
Thanked 1,992 Times in 826 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
If they where just going to rebuild and not be concerned about insurance I would agree.... However the insurance company isn't going to just open there check book and say what ever it takes. It is in the best interested of everyone involved to go through a bidding process. There will also likely be a private insurance adjuster involved to help get the greatest recovery from the insurance company.
The insurance company covers and will pay for their loss, not the new construction. The new building may have no resemblance to the building that burned and the insurance company will not be involved in the construction. They have no say in what the owners choose to build.

The owners can build whatever they want and it will be built to today's building codes and will probably be a much more expensive building than what was there. They may have "replacement value" insurance but that is usually calculated by the square foot of the property lost. Once the insurance company writes the check for the loss they are no longer involved.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
MRD (01-26-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 02:47 PM   #39
LIforrelaxin
Senior Member
 
LIforrelaxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Posts: 2,660
Thanks: 933
Thanked 821 Times in 473 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The insurance company covers and will pay for their loss, not the new construction. The new building may have no resemblance to the building that burned and the insurance company will not be involved in the construction. They have no say in what the owners choose to build.

The owners can build whatever they want and it will be built to today's building codes and will probably be a much more expensive building than what was there. They may have "replacement value" insurance but that is usually calculated by the square foot of the property lost. Once the insurance company writes the check for the loss they are no longer involved.
Well yes what you state is true..... the devil is in the details, and truly depends on how the building owner wants to proceed... You are right the building may not look like the old one... but that doesn't mean the insurance company settles based on square footage alone... Part of a good insurance policy for commercial restate is going to include code and ordinance insurance. The need to understand what upgrades that are needed, that can then be covered through that takes time can keeps the insurance company involved.

Believe me what used to be easy and straight forward is no longer. The insurance industry has created so many caveats and special insurance items, that it make recovering from a catastrophic lose very time consuming. The complexity of it all, comes back to what coverage's the insured implemented, which unless we get the details from the building owner, is simply a guessing game at this point.
__________________
Life is about how much time you can spend relaxing... I do it on an island that isn't really an island.....
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:35 PM   #40
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 738
Thanks: 231
Thanked 232 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar4401 View Post
FWIW, If they rebuild, it would be helpful to them if they could buy the property behind them. It's a vacant lot and would give them a lot more space but also complicate the rebuilding process.
That would be a good idea, however I believe the lot directly behind them may be zoned residential (one or two family) and not zoned commercial.

I am confident they are looking at all options at this point. Whatever they do I would be surprised if the new store would look anything like the old store once did.

It is my belief that the old store was loaded with asbestos in the original tile floors and the older piping (which ran the heating and cooling). Asbestos is considered hazardous waste and this will need removal and proper disposal prior to any rebuilding process. Proper handling "could" delay a speedy rebuild.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:20 PM   #41
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,013
Thanks: 662
Thanked 1,274 Times in 883 Posts
Default

I doubt if it would be quick in any event. Too bad they couldn't find an existing structure to open for a year or two while the new store is being built.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:34 PM   #42
Janet
Senior Member
 
Janet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 452
Thanks: 219
Thanked 129 Times in 87 Posts
Default Hunter's IGA update

Any update on the progress of Hunter's IGA after the fire back in January? Just wondered if there had been any activity or rumors of rebuild.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:16 PM   #43
SAB1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tuftonboro
Posts: 1,101
Thanks: 167
Thanked 281 Times in 208 Posts
Default

They have a sign by the sidewalk that says they will be back. The piles of rubble from the fire are still sitting there.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Janet (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:28 PM   #44
KPW
Senior Member
 
KPW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 370
Thanks: 691
Thanked 110 Times in 56 Posts
Default Logistics

They need to have all their ducks in a row. Added traffic, construction vehicles, etc. It's a busy place in the summer.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-23-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 05:41 PM   #45
gokart-mozart
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 179
Thanks: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
They need to have all their ducks in a row. Added traffic, construction vehicles, etc. It's a busy place in the summer.
There was some equipment there for a while - floodlights, backhoe, and they built some sort of pathway, with a shed alongside (to test outgoing loads) - but it's all gone now.

It would be great to get a preliminary on the cause, and some sort of timeline for removal of the organic matter in the pile. Once it warms up, it may become unpleasant to be around.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:25 PM   #46
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,013
Thanks: 662
Thanked 1,274 Times in 883 Posts
Default

There is some recent activity so maybe it will start moving. The owner of the Hunter's property, bought the Walgreen's property, the building that used to house the laundry behind Hunter's and a lot behind those.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:46 PM   #47
mcdude
Senior Member
 
mcdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rock Haven Lake - West Newfield, ME
Posts: 5,338
Thanks: 368
Thanked 1,022 Times in 477 Posts
Default

Harvest Market must be seeing quite an uptick in business??
__________________

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:00 AM   #48
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,013
Thanks: 662
Thanked 1,274 Times in 883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Harvest Market must be seeing quite an uptick in business??
I know. I was told they are having a tough time handling it because they can't get enough help.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
DotRat (03-25-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 02:41 AM   #49
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida (Sebring & Keys), Wolfeboro
Posts: 5,583
Thanks: 1,880
Thanked 700 Times in 502 Posts
Red face Park Across the Street or in the Back...

Harvest Market can't get too overwhelmed, due to inadequate parking. (A safety valve for their market).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (03-26-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 10:14 AM   #50
BrownstoneNorth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 202
Thanks: 103
Thanked 114 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I know. I was told they are having a tough time handling it because they can't get enough help.
I'm guessing it's more likely that Harvest doesn't have room for more help, not that they can't get help. According to the Hunter's owner and manager, 50-60 Hunter's employees suddenly lost their jobs due to the destruction of the store. So where did they go? Even considering that some were of retirement age, some may have gotten jobs at Alton or Ossipee Hannafords, and some may have decided to get different kinds of jobs, Harvest would seem the natural choice for many.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:20 AM   #51
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,013
Thanks: 662
Thanked 1,274 Times in 883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
I'm guessing it's more likely that Harvest doesn't have room for more help, not that they can't get help. According to the Hunter's owner and manager, 50-60 Hunter's employees suddenly lost their jobs due to the destruction of the store. So where did they go? Even considering that some were of retirement age, some may have gotten jobs at Alton or Ossipee Hannafords, and some may have decided to get different kinds of jobs, Harvest would seem the natural choice for many.
I thought the same. Was surprised when I read that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:18 PM   #52
AltonCAM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 25
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Went by the Hunterís site this morning and there were several people in white work suits and and an excavator digging thru the burnt building remains. Maybe a rebuild is underway.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
AltonCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.49934 seconds