Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
Mac4858

Angry Need brake help

I’m headed to Florida Monday. Came down to be with family Friday. Developed squeak in front brake on my way down. All repair shops busy. I’m in Meredith and willing to go to place that can check out and hopefully repair within reasonable distance. Please help. Don:802-272-2713
Mac4858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
ApS

Smile And New Brake Pads...

My high-perfomance brake pads always squeaked. The squeaking helped in moving pedestrians aside in parking lots!

If your steering wheel isn't pulling to one side, I wouldn't worry. Eventually, you may need to have those front disks resurfaced, but you should be OK for several days--maybe years!

ETA:
Sal's, in Wolfeboro Falls, gets ALL my business.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4858 View Post
I’m headed to Florida Monday. Came down to be with family Friday. Developed squeak in front brake on my way down. All repair shops busy. I’m in Meredith and willing to go to place that can check out and hopefully repair within reasonable distance. Please help. Don:802-272-2713
If they squeak as you are driving then the pads is probably down to the wear sensor and they need replacing.
If they squeak when you step on the brakes that is fairly common and may not mean they need replacing.
In Europe they equate squeaky brakes to properly working brakes, if they don't squeak they're not working.
In America it's just the opposite.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4858 View Post
Lake City Auto Body in Gilford is EXCELLENT and I bet they would look at it right away if you explained the circumstances. (603) 524-2637

Good Luck!

Dan
Old 11-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #5
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Auto Haus- Meredith

279-7100

You'll get a verbal menu- don't choose, just wait and it will ring.
Paul is the owner- caring guy.
May be able to help, considering the circumstance.
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2020, 05:51 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Default ..... V I P Auto, Laconia

Brakes, tires, and oil changes is probably the biggest share of their business at VIP Auto in Laconia, plus they is open 9-4 on Sundays.

No question, they is less expensive, and better quality for brakes than nearby Irwin Ford Lincoln Toyota Hyundai ..... which is closed on Sundays.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Be careful at VIP!

A while back I left my car for an oil change and tire rotation. When I returned they told me I needed front brakes and my battery was only putting out 5 amps and should be replaced.

If the battery was only putting out 5 amps it wouldn't start the car. The front brakes had been replaced about 1,500 miles before that day so there was no way it needed front brakes.

I made a complaint to the corporate offices in Maine and the answer that came back was that it had been a new employee and someone should have been watching him.

There must be some policy or corporate reward if they up sell you for more work.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
A while back I left my car for an oil change and tire rotation. When I returned they told me I needed front brakes and my battery was only putting out 5 amps and should be replaced.

If the battery was only putting out 5 amps it wouldn't start the car. The front brakes had been replaced about 1,500 miles before that day so there was no way it needed front brakes.

I made a complaint to the corporate offices in Maine and the answer that came back was that it had been a new employee and someone should have been watching him.

There must be some policy or corporate reward if they up sell you for more work.
Oldest "upsell" trick in the books...you have to know your vehicle or you will get taken by almost any auto repair business out there.
Sad truth.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I had a shop in Wayland Ma. for 13 years and, Barry Steinberg, owner of Direct tire, called me up looking for my tire and alignment business as he was opening up a new shop in Framingham not too far from me.
So I decided to give him a try and opened an account and started buying tires.
So after I installed customers new tires I would check the car out and take the car to get it aligned.
One particular day we were too busy to take a customers car to get it aligned so we thoroughly checked it out to make sure there were no problems and the customer told me he would take it to get it lined up the following week.
We'll Direct Tire didn't know it was a customer of mine and gave him a long list of must repairs totaling over $1500 and said they couldn't line it up until this work was done.
That was the last time I ever did any business with them.
A few months later the owner called me up and ask why I wasn't buying any more tires and I told him. Then he tells me I still owe him for the last invoice, which I paid for in cash. Needless to say, his driver stole the money and put the invoice on my account.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ..... mov'n on up in Campton!

www.forresthowesautorepair.com has moved into the building at 1024 Route 3/25 in Campton, just north of the Plymouth-Campton line, in what used to be a Wilson Tire store, which got moved close to Walmart.

Forrest is renovating this new Campton auto repair, and it looks like it just got new asphalt paving, outside, and the building is maybe open for business?

It is very close to Rt 93-Exit 26, or Exit 25, or Exit 27, and Forrest had a similar smaller location, more off the beaten path for many years at a nearby spot off Fairgrounds Rd in nearby Plymouth.

So, this is an owner operated garage where the boss is there, has years of experience, and has employees as well. It is not unusual to see a state police, Dodge Charger police cruiser parked there, as it goes through the repair/service process.

So it looks like Forrest is mov'n on up to a bigger location.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Oldest "upsell" trick in the books...you have to know your vehicle or you will get taken by almost any auto repair business out there.
Sad truth.
Sage truth.

Always utilize a local independent mechanic/shop. Every oil change ask about the brakes. With modern vehicles they don't even have to take the wheels off (mostly). When they get to less than 25% - just replace pads.

Keep ahead of this type of issue.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote