Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Ms Molly McKever

Default State dreams of selling booze at bike week

The NH Liquor Commissioners wants to sell booze in Laconia during high traffic times and bike week. What do you think?
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Not quite sure I understand your question as the state already sells alcohol at liquor stores all around the lake so what's the difference???

Are you saying they want to open a liquor store up in Laconia?? If so I say what's the big deal...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Rusty

The article about selling booze is in today's LDS.

Here it is:

State dreams of selling booze at Bike Week

By Gail Ober
Mar 25, 2011 12:00 am
LACONIA — The New Hampshire Liquor Commission will experiment with temporary specialty liquor stores in hopes of boosting revenues during high traffic times.

The proposal, referred to in House Bill 2 which is the rider bill to the state budget, could mean temporary liquor outlets in the Lakes Region during annual Motorcycle Week as early as 2013.

"We hope to optimize sales and maximize profit, which goes to the general fund, but we obviously want to do it in a safe and respectful manner," said N.H. Liquor Commissioner Joe Mollica yesterday.

Laconia Police Chief Michael Moyer, whose department coordinates and staffs safety and security on the front lines for the annual motorcycle rally, said he has not been contacted by the N.H. Liquor Commission and couldn't comment on any proposal until he knew of the details.

He did say a representative the N.H. Liquor Commission always contacts him when there are applications for new private liquor licenses.

Mollica said there is no way the commission would put any temporary liquor outlets in any community without contacting the community's officials and police departments.

"Remember, we enforce and educate as well," he said.

He also said there was no proposed site for a temporary liquor store during Bike Week and no guarantee it would be in Laconia.

City Manager Eileen Cabanel also said no one from the commission had contacted her office.

The city's income sources to offset Bike Week expenses is vendor licenses receipts but Cabanel said she didn't think Laconia's Bike Week fees would apply to a state department.

Right now there are no N.H. Liquor Outlets in Laconia, rather there is one in Belmont at the Belknap Mall and one in Gilford near Patrick's Pub, and one in Meredith along Route 104.

Mollica said the pilot program for temporary liquor outlets is this summer at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon, during the two NASCAR races.

The said patrons will be able to purchase wine and hard liquor from a 4,000-foot temporary vending site. He also said it would be a way to showcase local wines from the state's burgeoning vineyards.

"We'll see if it's received well and profitable," he said.

The commission chose the speedway because it is a major attraction and many of the attendees typically camp on the property — sometimes for as long as a week.

"This way if they forget something they wouldn't have to drive," he said.

He said the commission is also recommending a permanent liquor store at the Manchester-Boston Regional Airport and will experiment with temporary kiosks in a number of shopping malls during the holiday season.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (03-25-2011)
Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Sal

Sounds like a win-win for the state. Sell 'em alot of booze, make money. Arrest 'em for drunkenness, DWI and general hell-raising, make a profit on fines levied. Tell 'em to go home and come back next year. Sounds like business as usual. (LFOD)
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sal For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (03-27-2011), ishoot308 (03-25-2011), Old Hubbard Rd (03-26-2011), pcmc (03-25-2011), Rusty (03-25-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
RamJet

Default What a great idea to raise revenue for the state

What a great idea to raise revenue for the state. I heard that the same thing will happen at NHIS except it may be a permanent building.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
EllyPoinster

Nice idea. It's no wonder that liquor sales are the only state revenue source running ahead of plan.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
jrc

What's the difference if they put up a temporary store or if the people have to drive a few miles?

I'm guessing that the speedway store would be less successful, because you drive right by the huge highways stores on the way up. But some visitors might not know aout NH rules and expect a package store on every corner.

I don't get an airport store. You can only bring 3 ounces on a plane so the outgoing trade will be small.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I don't get an airport store. You can only bring 3 ounces on a plane so the outgoing trade will be small.
I'm thinking they are going after they people getting off the planes? And I believe you can put more than 3 ounces in your checked luggage, I know I have when I have left the Caribbean.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
jerseyonbear

Default airport store

If you buy at a duty free shop the bottles are put in a special bag that has a special closure on it. You then can carry it onto the airplane. These stores are after you have been thru security.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerseyonbear For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
jrc

I forgot about checked bags, so maybe an airport store would be a good idea.

I remember about 15 years ago we had some business visitors from Scotland. They filled their luggage with Scotch on the return trip. Seems with taxes, Scotch imported from Scotland was half the price in NH as the same stuff in Scotland.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote