Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Boardwalk Grill-Weirs Beach

Passed through Weirs today and noticed their sign said “closed “. No other message odd for that location to be closed Labor Day weekend. They usually close for the season after this weekend.

Maybe another forced to closed due to service labor shortages? Hope it’s a short term issue/ temporary issue for them.
The food is pretty good and the did a lot of improvements in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #2
baygo

Another challenge has emerged for the small mom and pop. A friend of mine has a seven-year established restaurant and recently was informed by Cisco, the conglomerate vendor that one of the other conglomerates they serve has demanded they drop mom and pops or they would be dropped. My friends is now struggling to find supplies for his restaurant because he didn’t have the local connections.

Just to clarify, I do not know if this is the case with the boardwalk grill
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #3
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Another challenge has emerged for the small mom and pop. A friend of mine has a seven-year established restaurant and recently was informed by Cisco, the conglomerate vendor that one of the other conglomerates they serve has demanded they drop mom and pops or they would be dropped. My friends is now struggling to find supplies for his restaurant because he didn’t have the local connections.

Understood. Thanks Baygo. I am familiar with Sysco way back when they were know as Global Sysco in the early 90s I was an owner in a competing Ice cream distribution company in New York. They were a ruthless unscrupulous competitor.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:02 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:

What????? Why?????Are they trying to kill all the mom and pops in the country?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:11 AM   #5
baygo

Sysco is acting on the demands of the larger account. Folks in the boardroom of the large chain restaurants want every customer on Earth. They can’t compete when it comes to quality of experience so dirty pool it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-13-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2021, 06:19 AM   #6
joey2665

Quote:
Sysco is acting on the demands of the larger account. Folks in the boardroom of the large chain restaurants want every customer on Earth. They can’t compete when it comes to quality of experience so dirty pool it is.
We tried to get ice cream into large NY chains like king kullen, food town, waldbaums ect snd they did the same to use. We carried all the name brands Haagen Daz, Eskimo, popsicle, Ben & Jerry’s, breyers etc. the food business in general is a dirty pool.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:24 AM   #7
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
What????? Why?????Are they trying to kill all the mom and pops in the country?
I have a couple friends that own sub/pizza shops and were talking to them back in June/July and they were running into the same issue. Not sure who their distributors were, but they were told that there weren't enough drivers to supply everyone so the "smaller" accounts were only going to be delivered to 1x/month or not at all.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:59 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Isn't that sad though, that this country has such a shortage of goods, workers and drivers that vendors have to decide who to serve. I do understand there is a shortage of product and drivers- there has been a shortage of drivers for some time- and wondered when this would happen. I guess the big boys have to make their big customers happy but isn't it sad. I am so so sad for this country.

Did I mention how sad it is?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
fatlazyless

There must be some unknown reason why a restaurant like Boardwalk Grill cannot go to the nearby Hannaford instead of using Sysco?

So, what's the difference between the two?
Old 09-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #10
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
There must be some unknown reason why a restaurant like Boardwalk Grill cannot go to the nearby Hannaford instead of using Sysco?

So, what's the difference between the two?
Pricing!!! Supermarkets have huge markups. Boardwalks food prices would have to be way above market.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
fatlazyless

http://www.quora.com/What-do-restaur...y-store-prices ..... What do restaurants pay for food relative to normal grocery store prices?

Am trying to think of something intelligent to say here about the difference between restaurant food delivered by a large Sysco truck as opposed to the restaurant buying their restaurant food at the local super market. There's got to be a lot more to this than a supposedly lower price which is probably not the true real reason.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #12
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
http://www.quora.com/What-do-restaur...y-store-prices ..... What do restaurants pay for food relative to normal grocery store prices?

Am trying to think of something intelligent to say here about the difference between restaurant food delivered by a large Sysco truck as opposed to the restaurant buying their restaurant food at the local super market. There's got to be a lot more to this than a supposedly lower price which is probably not the true real reason.
Price is certainly major motivator to use a purveyor. It is not uncommon for a major purveyor to make one stop and drop off supplies for a restaurant and then the next stop is at a grocery store. If a grocery store marks it up 20%, that as a significant influence on the restaurant. Restaurant food cost should have her somewhere around 27%. Therefore a $5 piece of meat should sell for somewhere around $18.50. A $6 piece of meet (20% more) should sell for $22.25. That is a significant difference in the mind of a consumer.

This “no help” day and age, the more costly impact would be time required to go pick from the grocery store shelf.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
John Mercier

The supermarket doesn't include delivery on a refrigerated truck.
So you have additional labor and costs beyond the product.

Certain customers can push the cost of service up, slimming the margin, and shifting costs to other customers. Because of that wholesalers tend toward tier pricing in some instances, and narrowing their customer base in others.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:04 AM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Back to the Boardwalk Cafe for a moment, last time I was there I spoke the the bartenders and they told me they are owned and operated by a family that supports food services to fairs and carnivals. If help is limited, this is the season for such events

WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #15
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Back to the Boardwalk Cafe for a moment, last time I was there I spoke the the bartenders and they told me they are owned and operated by a family that supports food services to fairs and carnivals. If help is limited, this is the season for such events

From there Facebook page. Guess I should have went their first!. Labor labor labor!!

Name:  IMG_8952.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  97.5 KB

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
GTO (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #16
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo
A friend of mine has a seven-year established restaurant and recently was informed by Cisco, the conglomerate vendor that one of the other conglomerates they serve has demanded they drop mom and pops or they would be dropped.
This sounds illegal, as in "restraint of trade," but then I'm no expert.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #17
dpg

I agree about the "illegal" comment (no, not a lawyer!) Seems these small business owners should either call a tv station and try to have their issue aired or perhaps maybe even local congress people. We (consumers) could also control and stop this but we don't. If a huge majority of patrons just stopped visiting these chains and tell them why this practice would stop real quickly. We (all) as consumers just keep complaining about different policies when in fact we could control and stop things.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #18
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I agree about the "illegal" comment (no, not a lawyer!) Seems these small business owners should either call a tv station and try to have their issue aired or perhaps maybe even local congress people. We (consumers) could also control and stop this but we don't. If a huge majority of patrons just stopped visiting these chains and tell them why this practice would stop real quickly. We (all) as consumers just keep complaining about different policies when in fact we could control and stop things.

True, however this opens up the opportunity for another vendor to step up to the plate and take over these smaller accounts. It's obvious to me that Cisco (Sysco) doesn't give a rats rear end as to what happens with the smaller accounts. If they did then they wouldn't treat the little guy so poorly.

I think that is what competition is all about......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #19
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
This sounds illegal, as in "restraint of trade," but then I'm no expert.
No expertise here either--but I was also thinking this is an antitrust violation.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote