Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,177
Thanks: 1,062
Thanked 1,342 Times in 805 Posts
Default Moultonborough Library (Virtual) Author Talk

Hey, Friends!
One of my most favoritest books ever is Ty Gagne's Where You'll Find Me. In it, the author examines risk and decision making using the tragedy of Kate Matrosova, a young woman who froze to death while traversing the Presidential Range.
His newest book, The Last Traverse—which I've just started—focuses on a similar tragedy occurring on the Franconia Ridge.
I really love his style and the way he tells the stories with equal parts warning, sympathy, and empathy—not an easy task when dealing with death in preventable circumstances.
On Thursday the 21st, the Moultonborough Library has a virtual author talk with Gagne at 6:30, for anyone who might be interested. I saw him give a talk a couple years back and he, again, did a wonderful job presenting with balance.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-12-2021), Sue Doe-Nym (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,082
Thanks: 568
Thanked 586 Times in 288 Posts
Default Love that library!

We are so fortunate to have such a fabulous library in our little town. During normal times, which this is not, that is a great place to go....special programs, great book selection, helpful staff (patient,too with tech-challenged adults). I look forward to returning there regularly when the pandemic is under control.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #3
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,281
Thanks: 729
Thanked 554 Times in 332 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We are so fortunate to have such a fabulous library in our little town. During normal times, which this is not, that is a great place to go....special programs, great book selection, helpful staff (patient,too with tech-challenged adults). I look forward to returning there regularly when the pandemic is under control.
One of the amazing things about the internet age is that it has not destroyed the libraries. It is remarkable how vital and busy they still are, even in communities where everyone is online every day. We live next door to one. I can't believe the "business" they pull in
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:28 AM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,177
Thanks: 1,062
Thanked 1,342 Times in 805 Posts
Default

A friend of mine attended Gagne's virtual presentation (through a different library) last night and said it was great. He discussed the part of his book where he connects heuristic techniques to the decision-making of the two hikers, which is part of his approach I love so much about his books.

I've also connected with the author to discuss a presentation for my students. I'm not entirely sure how I would connect the two, but I'm leaning towards drawing parallels between the resilience of the hikers and the need to be resilient through the pandemic. A work in progress!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by thinkxingu; 01-15-2021 at 07:22 AM.
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 430
Thanks: 5
Thanked 152 Times in 74 Posts
Cool Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hey, Friends!
One of my most favoritest books ever is Ty Gagne's Where You'll Find Me. In it, the author examines risk and decision making using the tragedy of Kate Matrosova, a young woman who froze to death while traversing the Presidential Range.
His newest book, The Last Traverse—which I've just started—focuses on a similar tragedy occurring on the Franconia Ridge.
I really love his style and the way he tells the stories with equal parts warning, sympathy, and empathy—not an easy task when dealing with death in preventable circumstances.
On Thursday the 21st, the Moultonborough Library has a virtual author talk with Gagne at 6:30, for anyone who might be interested. I saw him give a talk a couple years back and he, again, did a wonderful job presenting with balance.

Cheers!
Just bought a copy on amazon. No kindle though
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,177
Thanks: 1,062
Thanked 1,342 Times in 805 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Just bought a copy on amazon. No kindle though
Local author that looks self-published, so it makes sense.

Lemme know your thoughts!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #7
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 430
Thanks: 5
Thanked 152 Times in 74 Posts
Default The Last Traverse

Just finished this great book. Must read for anyone engaged in mountaineering especially in the winter. I cannot recommend this book too highly. Making it mandatory reading for my youngest son who does some of this crazy s*&t.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,177
Thanks: 1,062
Thanked 1,342 Times in 805 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Just finished this great book. Must read for anyone engaged in mountaineering especially in the winter. I cannot recommend this book too highly. Making it mandatory reading for my youngest son who does some of this crazy s*&t.
Grabbed a down quilt while at Sierra Trading Post tonight in response to reading the book. I'm beyond winter Ridge traverses at this point, but I get in about 6-7 winter hikes, so it's a worthy addition to my emergency bivy.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book—definitely read his other book and article, they're both as good or better than The Last Traverse.

Finally, I've connected with and am working with the author to arrange a virtual visit to my classroom—hopefully in the next couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 1.18200 seconds