Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
Woody38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 451
Thanks: 43
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default Outboard question

I have been looking at reviews for the Yamaha 200 hp. Many have stated problems and shutdowns involving gears. They say the gear is made of a fiber material and subsequently shreds with usage. I don not know what the years were of the engines. Does anyone have knowledge of or experience with the Yahama 200 hp. Seriously I would not think an outboard would not have metal gears. My last outboard was a 200 Mercury on Cape Cod and had that for 20 years until I sold the boat Truly a workhorse, never did anything except put fuel in it. Did replace the impeller once. Come spring. just turned the key and it started immediately. Also any thoughts on the Mercury at this time.

__________________________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
Juiced06GTO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 126
Thanks: 6
Thanked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I don't have any first hand experience with them, but hop on over to "thehulltruth" forum and do a search on it. Lot of fishermen there, both rec and comm. who are very knowledgeable, I'm sure if there are issues with it they have spoken about them there.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juiced06GTO For This Useful Post:
DotRat (03-01-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
Formula260SS
Senior Member
 
Formula260SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 383
Thanks: 11
Thanked 76 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
I have been looking at reviews for the Yamaha 200 hp. Many have stated problems and shutdowns involving gears. They say the gear is made of a fiber material and subsequently shreds with usage. I don not know what the years were of the engines. Does anyone have knowledge of or experience with the Yahama 200 hp. Seriously I would not think an outboard would not have metal gears. My last outboard was a 200 Mercury on Cape Cod and had that for 20 years until I sold the boat Truly a workhorse, never did anything except put fuel in it. Did replace the impeller once. Come spring. just turned the key and it started immediately. Also any thoughts on the Mercury at this time.

__________________________________________

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
I have a 2019 Merc 150 4S on my whaler and it is an absolute beast - quite, smooth and impressively linear in power deliver. After two years of ownership I continue to grin ear to ear each time I lite it up. Not sure about Yamaha but the Merc I have would be tough to beat.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:49 PM   #4
Woody38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 451
Thanks: 43
Thanked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Thank you Juiced.
There was someone who ordered a new boat and it comes with Yamaha outboards. He is thinking of switching to Mercury albeit additional cost. He is wondering if the newer outboards have fiber gears. So he apparently knows of that problem.

___________________________________


I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
Dave R
Senior Member
 
Dave R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,893
Thanks: 238
Thanked 682 Times in 408 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Thank you Juiced.
There was someone who ordered a new boat and it comes with Yamaha outboards. He is thinking of switching to Mercury albeit additional cost. He is wondering if the newer outboards have fiber gears. So he apparently knows of that problem.

___________________________________


I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
There's no way they used fiber gears in the drive train, those gears need to be as small and rugged as possible to handle the power without adding drag and steel is the only way to go. Yamaha used a badly designed fiber gear in the first generation 4 stroke to drive a counter-balance shaft in their engines, but I hear that problem was addressed at least 15 years ago. I would not hesitate to buy a Yamaha, they make a great product and there's a reason they are, by far, the biggest outboard engine maker in the world.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2021, 08:06 PM   #6
tg38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default yamaha

the 350 hp yamaha had flywheel and ecu problems. around 2016 at 400 hrs you brought them back and yamaha would repair free. only problem with my 350 mercs was due to lightning strike 1029 hrs now
tg38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:54 PM   #7
DesertDweller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV and Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 331
Thanks: 23
Thanked 79 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
There's no way they used fiber gears in the drive train, those gears need to be as small and rugged as possible to handle the power without adding drag and steel is the only way to go. Yamaha used a badly designed fiber gear in the first generation 4 stroke to drive a counter-balance shaft in their engines, but I hear that problem was addressed at least 15 years ago. I would not hesitate to buy a Yamaha, they make a great product and there's a reason they are, by far, the biggest outboard engine maker in the world.
This is exactly right and the issue applied to the 2012 and prior F150's. The issue has long been resolved. If the OP is looking at an older motor they should ensure this issue has been addressed. With all due respect to Mercury and the other outboard brands, Yamaha has a very well deserved reputation as an incredibly reliable outboard and paying additional money to swap it out for a different brand at an additional cost is a move most boat buyers wouldn't make. There are documented cases of F150's with 10,000 hours on them in commerical use. Yes, the V8 F350 had flywheel issues but give them credit they acknowledged and addressed them.
DesertDweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,032
Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 869 Times in 544 Posts
Thumbs up

I have a buddy of mine that has twin 200 Yamaha's on his boat, docked in salt water at the Cape, that are 20 years old and he's had exceptional luck with them. No major repairs just normal maintenance.
He's religious about raising them up out of the water and flushing them out after every use.
He has talked about trading it in before he has to repower it.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #9
Wentworth06
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 21
Thanks: 32
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Yamaha.

The composite harmonic balancer inside the engine was an issue in 2005 to 2008 . If your balancer shattered the pieces made your motor worthless. My 2006 150 4 stroke had one and cost me 1500.00 to have replaced with a Yamaha kit. They knew it was an issue and did nothing except sent out a a notice. I like yamahas but my new boat is a 200 Honda and a 9.9 Honda kicker .
Wentworth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.20351 seconds