Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Strange noise coming from Outdrive

I'm writing this Post for a friend of mine, and not a Forum member and not too computer saavy....

He has an issue (we think) coming from his Outdrive.
1988 Four Winns boat with OMC outdrive. Engine is either 150 or 175HP

Problem is when he turns steering wheel to the left, he hears a growling sound.. Someone told him the issue may be related to one of his exhaust bellows, but I don't know why that would cause any noise ?
When he steers to the right, there is no sound issue.

I'm thinking the issue possibly be related to the Gimbal bearing ? I was reading in marineengine.com the main symptom of 'Gimbal' issue is when running in gear in the water, you turn you steering almost all the way to either direction like making a turn and you will hear/feel a grumbling/growling sound/feeling.

Boat , when not in use, is on a mooring, he doesn't own a trailer. That said, he cannot take boat out of water to inspect, but would have to take to a marina $.

If it is the Gimbal bearing, what would be the approx cost to replace.
I suspect replacing the bellows would be a good time to replace, since they have to be removed to access the Gimbal.

Thoughts ?

Last edited by bigdog; 07-21-2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I'm writing this Post for a friend of mine, and not a Forum member and not too computer saavy....

He has an issue (we think) coming from his Outdrive.
1988 Four Winns boat with OMC outdrive. Engine is either 150 or 175HP

Problem is when he turns steering wheel to the left, he hears a growling sound.. Someone told him the issue may be related to one of his exhaust bellows, but I don't know why that would cause any noise ?
When he steers to the right, there is no sound issue.

I'm thinking the issue possibly be related to the Gimbal bearing ? I was reading in marineengine.com the main symptom of 'Gimbal' issue is when running in gear in the water, you turn you steering almost all the way to either direction like making a turn and you will hear/feel a grumbling/growling sound/feeling.

Boat , when not in use, is on a mooring, he doesn't own a trailer. That said, he cannot take boat out of water to inspect, but would have to take to a marina $.

If it is the Gimbal bearing, what would be the approx cost to replace.
I suspect replacing the bellows would be a good time to replace, since they have to be removed to access the Gimbal.

Thoughts ?
Sounds like he just needs someone to pull the drive and inspect things. Shouldn't be too expensive to inspect, couple hours of labor maybe. What they find at that point would determine cost. I have mine pulled at a minimum of every two years when winterizing but I'm big on maintenance. I have no experience with OMC's but if the boat is a 1988 and the bellows have never been done I'd say he's on borrowed time.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
Tuckntruck

Generally, after your description, I'd look at the gimbal first. pull the drive, do the bellows, and go from there.
Tuckntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:57 AM   #4
GodSmile

Default I had the same problem a few weeks ago

Same symptom on my 2002 Bravo III. It did turn out to be the gimbal and also a universal joint was worn. The bellows was ok, but I had it replaced anyway as it was original.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSmile View Post
Same symptom on my 2002 Bravo III. It did turn out to be the gimbal and also a universal joint was worn. The bellows was ok, but I had it replaced anyway as it was original.
Agreed, gimbal bearing or U joint issue. My advice is to replace both U-joints and the gimbal bearing while it's apart. I suggest using marine U-joints too, I tried some automotive u-joints that fit and only cost about 12 bucks, but they did not last. I also suggest using a gimbal bearing that requires occasional greasing, not a "permanently lubed" style.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-22-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Woodsy

Definitely a Gimbal Bearing/U joint issue. While they are in there repairing those, get the bellows replaced too...

Woodsy
Top-Water (07-22-2020)