Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,215 Posts

Ugh. Call me a curmudgeon, Luddite, whatever--I just want simplicity on the lake, the second-to-last holdout against an increasingly complex "real world." (The mountains are the first holdout, but those are under assault, too)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Ugh. Call me a curmudgeon, Luddite, whatever--I just want simplicity on the lake, the second-to-last holdout against an increasingly complex "real world." (The mountains are the first holdout, but those are under assault, too)

Couldn’t agree more...
Old 05-10-2018, 02:48 AM   #3
ApS

Cool Luddite / Curmudgeon here...

Quote:
Fortunately, our view of the mountains doesn't include a water-bottling plant.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Fortunately, our view of the mountains doesn't include a water-bottling plant.

I was referring more to the increasing technology and crowds found on the trail.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #5
Cal Coon

Quote:
I was referring more to the increasing technology and crowds found on the trail.

I thought we were supposed to "celebrate diversity"...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I thought we were supposed to "celebrate diversity"...
Not an issue with diversity, an issue with interpretation of use. The last two hikes I was on, people had portable speakers playing loudly BEHIND their backpacks. Grrr... Hike your own hike/navigate your own vessel, but without affecting others' experience negatively.

I don't know what impact this will have, if any, and I'm never looking for businesses to fail, so I'm hoping for the best!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Their facebook page says they are working on final touches and that was on May 8th. Also says there are more sneak peek photos on instagram but I do not have an account
Old 05-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
noreast

Quote:
Not an issue with diversity, an issue with interpretation of use. The last two hikes I was on, people had portable speakers playing loudly BEHIND their backpacks. Grrr... Hike your own hike/navigate your own vessel, but without affecting others' experience negatively.

I don't know what impact this will have, if any, and I'm never looking for businesses to fail, so I'm hoping for the best!

Me too, Last time I hiked a mountain I was almost murdered by a group of hikers blasting music. Off course my opening line was "are you F-ing kidding me" so we didn't get off on the right foot. I know how dumb it is but I like to hike alone, become one with all that is.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Me too, Last time I hiked a mountain I was almost murdered by a group of hikers blasting music. Off course my opening line was "are you F-ing kidding me" so we didn't get off on the right foot. I know how dumb it is but I like to hike alone, become one with all that is.
My theory has always been “eventually, all things outdoors that provide solitude and personal happiness will most likely be ruined by the masses”
I’ve found this true in all things outdoors, pretty much.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 05-10-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
Rattletrap

What's this thing going to do when the wind starts whipping and the lake gets angry?
Old 05-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
My theory has always been “eventually, all things outdoors that provide solitude and personal happiness will most likely be ruined my the masses”
This is the most depressing thing I've seen in weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
mishman (09-15-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
kawishiwi

Default Three years...

I would think 3 years is the max for this. First year "everybody" will visit, say "that was cool" and likely not return. Add in 2 seasons of it being rented for summer lakeside weddings & such I think it winds up either sold to become on the water patio attached to an existing restaurant or its parked in someones field.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #13
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
I would think 3 years is the max for this. First year "everybody" will visit, say "that was cool" and likely not return. Add in 2 seasons of it being rented for summer lakeside weddings & such I think it winds up either sold to become on the water patio attached to an existing restaurant or its parked in someones field.

Nope. Maybe this year but that will be it. My wife wants to go but I'm captain of the boat and I disdain the idea. There's just something-irreverent about it...
Old 05-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
kawishiwi

Default Wafting burger smell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Nope. Maybe this year but that will be it. My wife wants to go but I'm captain of the boat and I disdain the idea. There's just something-irreverent about it...
Sooner or later you'll be out boating and catch a whiff of grilled burger wafting over the waves, imagine a cold one to go with it, and you will buckle, once. 😎
Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Sooner or later you'll be out boating and catch a whiff of grilled burger wafting over the waves, imagine a cold one to go with it, and you will buckle, once. 😎
Ha! Perchance you are right-especially if my wife is with me
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
My theory has always been “eventually, all things outdoors that provide solitude and personal happiness will most likely be ruined my the masses”
Not trying to be a jerk, but, did it ever occur to you that they ("the masses") are saying the same thing about you, me, and everyone else? It's a two way street... I hate crowds too, but we must learn to live, and let live, and deal with it, or find another hobby. Maybe if we STOPPED the "masses" from coming into this country ILLEGALLY in the first place, there would be less of a "crowd" on the trails, lakes, Mtns, etc... Karma is a b****!!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that they ("the masses") are saying the same thing about you? It's a two way street... I hate crowds too, but we must learn to live, and let live, and deal with it, or find another hobby. Maybe if we STOPPED the "masses" from coming into this country ILLEGALLY in the first place, there would be less of a crowd on the trails, lakes, Mtns, etc... Karma is a b****!!
This is absurd.

Old Sarge (05-12-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #18
Cal Coon

Quote:
This is absurd.

Please explain to me exactly what is so absurd to you? Sometimes the truth hurts, denial is not just a river in Egypt...
Old 05-11-2018, 04:38 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Quote:
Please explain to me exactly what is so absurd to you? Sometimes the truth hurts, denial is not just a river in Egypt...
Your suggestion that the reason hiking trails are overcrowded because of illegal immigration is absurd and xenophobic.

I also take great offense to your repeated use of the "denial" line--there are few things worse than unoriginality and repetition.

PaugusBayFireFighter (05-20-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #20
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Your suggestion that the reason hiking trails are overcrowded because of illegal immigration is absurd and xenophobic.

I also take great offense to your repeated use of the "denial" line--there are few things worse than unoriginality and repetition.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #21
Cal Coon

Quote:

It is IMPOSSIBLE for me (or anyone for that matter), to be xenophobic because I/we do not support ILLEGAL immigration. That doesn't even make sense when we are referring to the laws of the land, it is just your way of (falsely) trying to "label" someone as a terrible person because you don't agree with them on something, and that is just wrong and says a lot about your credibility. It is a matter of breaking the law. We are a nation of laws and they MUST be obeyed or changed, NOT IGNORED. Based on your rationale, am I xenophobic because I am against rape and murder too?? Sounds pretty ridiculous, huh? I have no problem with anyone from anywhere coming into this country (LEGALLY) that wants to assimilate to the American dream and way of life!! IS THAT XENOPHOBIC??? The only thing worse than being unoriginal and repetitive is trying to be pretentious. If that offends you, I suggest a coloring book to help you get over it. Not trying to hijack this thread, I am all for the Dive, and wish it success even though it's not my "cup of tea". I am all for capitalism. Live, and let live. (Ooops, I repeated myself.) If I see it during my travels, I will definitely check it out if it's not to crowded, if for no other reason than to just be able to say I was on it. Maybe we will start seeing bumper stickers out there that say "I did the Dive", or "Do the Dive", or something to that effect that only knowledgeable Winnipesaukee boaters will recognize...!!

Last edited by Cal Coon; 05-12-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #22
ursa minor

Hey Cal, there must be 10,000 sites on the web where you can post and discuss political opinions; this isn't one of them. You're relatively new to the site, please enjoy it and contribute with your experiences here at the Lake. Thanks!
Biggd (05-14-2018), Descant (05-13-2018), Diana (05-14-2018), jbolty (05-12-2018), Joebon (05-13-2018), Just Sold (05-13-2018), KPW (05-14-2018), Merrymeeting (05-13-2018), Newbiesaukee (05-14-2018), noreast (05-13-2018), PaugusBayFireFighter (05-20-2018), Shreddy (05-14-2018), thinkxingu (05-13-2018), TiltonBB (05-13-2018), Twox48 (05-28-2018), webmaster (05-13-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #23
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa minor View Post
Hey Cal, there must be 10,000 sites on the web where you can post and discuss political opinions; this isn't one of them. You're relatively new to the site, please enjoy it and contribute with your experiences here at the Lake. Thanks!
No worries, I'm all done with this forum. To many snowflakes... Go Trump!!
Old 05-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #24
noreast

Quote:
No worries, I'm all done with this forum. To many snowflakes... Go Trump!!
Just one more, Lately your side has all the snowflakes falling out of the sky. Move to Russia, good riddance.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #25
noreast

Quote:
It is IMPOSSIBLE for me (or anyone for that matter), to be xenophobic because I/we do not support ILLEGAL immigration. That doesn't even make sense when we are referring to the laws of the land, it is just your way of (falsely) trying to "label" someone as a terrible person because you don't agree with them on something, and that is just wrong and says a lot about your credibility. It is a matter of breaking the law. We are a nation of laws and they MUST be obeyed or changed, NOT IGNORED. Based on your rationale, am I xenophobic because I am against rape and murder too?? Sounds pretty ridiculous, huh? I have no problem with anyone from anywhere coming into this country (LEGALLY) that wants to assimilate to the American dream and way of life!! IS THAT XENOPHOBIC??? The only thing worse than being unoriginal and repetitive is trying to be pretentious. If that offends you, I suggest a coloring book to help you get over it. Not trying to hijack this thread, I am all for the Dive, and wish it success even though it's not my "cup of tea". I am all for capitalism. Live, and let live. (Ooops, I repeated myself.) If I see it during my travels, I will definitely check it out if it's not to crowded, if for no other reason than to just be able to say I was on it. Maybe we will start seeing bumper stickers out there that say "I did the Dive", or "Do the Dive", or something to that effect that only knowledgeable Winnipesaukee boaters will recognize...!!
I believe the point was how incredibly stupid your comment was in context to hiking and other outdoor activities, I've been hiking hundreds of times and, Though I can't be sure, have never come across a group of illegals in my travels. You throwing that out there just shows that it's right on your mind, so the shoe probably fits in this case. Just to save you from more dumb comments, I've never voted for a national democrat, meaning president, senate or congress. I try not to vote for republicans either but sometimes I don't have much choice.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #26
Hillcountry

Quote:
Not trying to be a jerk, but, did it ever occur to you that they ("the masses") are saying the same thing about you, me, and everyone else? It's a two way street... I hate crowds too, but we must learn to live, and let live, and deal with it, or find another hobby. Maybe if we STOPPED the "masses" from coming into this country ILLEGALLY in the first place, there would be less of a "crowd" on the trails, lakes, Mtns, etc... Karma is a b****!!
Not at all...I avoid the “masses” at all costs. They’ve already ruined most places. I have learned the secret of how to avoid them and I ain’t sharing.
(But it really is simple)
Closed Thread