Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
Major

Default Posts Moved From Unrelated Thread

For the life of me, I don't understand the vitriol expressed by some posters here. Tilton says he knows Mr. Brown, and in his opinion he's a good man. Is his opinion to be supplanted by others who said they read bad things about him? Is it because he's wealthy? That he built something that's pretty cool? There is a lot of envy on this forum. I could provide a laundry list of other successful people eviscerated by the members, but in the end it doesn't matter.

Also, be careful of facts. We are instructed by the media to believe --

Climate change is real.

Russian collusion.

Obamacare saves money.

Black lives matter (over all others).

Tax breaks are only for the top 1%.

Etc., etc., etc.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-06-2018), Longtimelurker (08-07-2018), MRD (08-06-2018), subaruliving (09-15-2021), TiltonBB (08-06-2018), tis (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Flylady

Default Major....

Instructed by the media....with no basis would not be facts. Supported by scientific evidence or other proof which is known to be true, i.e. global warming, the melting of the ice caps (view with your own eyes) would be fact...no matter who presents it.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
Instructed by the media....with no basis would not be facts. Supported by scientific evidence or other proof which is known to be true, i.e. global warming, the melting of the ice caps (view with your own eyes) would be fact...no matter who presents it.
Must be "fake news". We all know the real news comes from Twitter!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Major

Default No evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
The climate constantly changes. After all, where we live was once covered by ice. It's just that there's no evidence that man causes it, except by "scientists" who make a living from perpetuating the myth. Read Richard Lindzen. The religion of climate change is merely a wealth transfer mechanism. I would have more respect for those who subscribe to this religion if they called it for what it is.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
The climate constantly changes. After all, where we live was once covered by ice. It's just that there's no evidence that man causes it, except by "scientists" who make a living from perpetuating the myth. Read Richard Lindzen. The religion of climate change is merely a wealth transfer mechanism. I would have more respect for those who subscribe to this religion if they called it for what it is.
Ya, man hasn't polluted the Earth either, it's all a wealth transfer scam.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
Major

Default Wrong issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Ya, man hasn't polluted the Earth either, it's all a wealth transfer scam.
You're showing your ignorance. What I'm talking about is whether man causes climate change. I believe there is no evidence, while others may disagree. Like most conservatives, I am very much against pollution. It sickens me. However, I'm not willing to commit to an agreement in which the US contributes billions of dollars while other countries get to pollute with immunity. Doesn't make sense.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Phantom

............… and now it's time to close this Thread and move on to the next victim
Attached Images

Biggd (08-06-2018), pondguy (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Must be "fake news". We all know the real news comes from Twitter!

Not Twitter, the National Inquirer!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
You're showing your ignorance. What I'm talking about is whether man causes climate change. I believe there is no evidence, while others may disagree. Like most conservatives, I am very much against pollution. It sickens me. However, I'm not willing to commit to an agreement in which the US contributes billions of dollars while other countries get to pollute with immunity. Doesn't make sense.

How about committing to a President who eviscerates the clean air & clean water acts?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
ITD

That went down hill quickly, lol.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
How about committing to a President who eviscerates the clean air & clean water acts?

It's a cost-benefit analysis. I'm willing to loosen regulations to promote growth in business. I trust our President, and it appears to be working well. And before I hear it from those of you concerned about our kids and grandkids, I would think you'd be far more concerned about the national debt. Every man, woman, and illegal in the U.S. is saddled with $60,000+ of debt. And it's only getting worse.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #12
Phantom

COME ON !

What does any of this have to do with the Threads title -
Winnipesaukee island owner faces fines of $1,000 a day for home expansion

oh wait -- I am sure someone will have a twisted view of how it does ( never mind )
CTYankee (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
FlyingScot

Quote:
Like most conservatives, I am very much against pollution. It sickens me.
I understand that not everyone cares about the environment, and I try not to be judgmental.

But I do not think its right for you to assert that pollution sickens you on the very same thread that you vigorously defend a guy who obviously violated environmental rules, question climate change in the face of a mountain of evidence, and assert that economic growth is more important than environmental protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #14
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I understand that not everyone cares about the environment, and I try not to be judgmental.

But I do not think its right for you to assert that pollution sickens you on the very same thread that you vigorously defend a guy who obviously violated environmental rules, question climate change in the face of a mountain of evidence, and assert that economic growth is more important than environmental protection.
It seems like you're pretty judgmental. Notwithstanding, I think the US has come a long way in protecting the environment. Liberals want perfection, a utopia, which is unachievable. There's no evidence that lessening restrictions has negatively impacted anything. In fact, under the old administration, with lots and lots of regulations, Deepwater Horizon, Flint City and the Gold King mining accident happened. I'm not blaming Obama, but these environmental tragedies occurred on his watch so he should own them.

Economic growth is important. What I am against is destroying our economy because of the globalists' obsession with climate change. There should be a balance.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #15
Garcia

Quote:

Climate change is real.

Russian collusion.

Obamacare saves money.

Black lives matter (over all others).

Tax breaks are only for the top 1%.

Etc., etc., etc.
So do you see the things listed as real or not?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #16
Major

Default What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
So do you see the things listed as real or not?
Fake news!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #17
Biggd

"The cost of believing climate change is not real is too high" A quote from Bill Ford, chairman of Ford motor Company.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #18
Major

Quote:
"The cost of believing climate change is not real is too high" A quote from Bill Ford, chairman of Ford motor Company.
Another globalist.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #19
ApS

Question So Where Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I understand that not everyone cares about the environment, and I try not to be judgmental. But I do not think its right for you to assert that pollution sickens you on the very same thread that you vigorously defend a guy who obviously violated environmental rules, question climate change in the face of a mountain of evidence, and assert that economic growth is more important than environmental protection.
As one who has pontificated on the alternate topic that this thread has shifted to, I suggest we all call ourselves "apostate" on the topic for a few centuries. This topic has closed other threads "back when".

In the meantime, I'm going to ask neighbors for a tow to Welcome Island and maybe take some pictures. (And sail back). Can someone advise the best route from the Marriott Compound—where we'll start the tow? This will be a tow, so boat-traffic will be an important consideration.

Also, is "Welcome Island" a real name?

Old 08-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #20
Biggd

Quote:
Another globalist.
No, he's just pi$$ed because his company changed course to meet fuel efficiency requirements and promoted their Company as a leader in that regard and this president has just taken away all their advantage in being leader in environmental friendly automobiles by loosening the standards. Basically changing the rules that everyone already geared up to meet. It's always about the $$$$$$$$$.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #21
Major

Default So regulations are good and making money is bad

Quote:
No he's just pi$$ed because his company changed course to meet fuel efficiency requirements and promoted their Company as a leader in that regard and this president has just taken away all their advantage in being leader in environmental friendly automobiles by loosening the standards. Basically changing the rules that everyone already geared up to meet. It's always about the $$$$$$$$$.
Let the market place decide. If customers want fuel efficient cars, then Ford should be in a great position to dominate the market. Personally, fuel economy isn't something that rates as a factor to me when purchasing a car. However, given the inclinations of the younger generation, fuel efficiency is an important factor when considering purchasing a car. In fact, a lot of the younger people in my office would prefer a bicycle to a car!

My recollection is that the big three were not in favor of the regulations when they went into effect. Maybe Bill Ford was thinking about $$$$$ when he decided to adopt the Religion of Climate Change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
subaruliving (09-15-2021)
Old 08-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #22
Garcia

Default Climate change and “fake news”

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

I know, NASA and 97% of the actively publishing scientific community are somehow wrong, making up lies, swayed by liberal politics, etc., etc., etc.

The whole idea of believing what we want, discounting any evidence to the contrary, and throwing out labels like fake news or alternative facts is fascinating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #23
Phantom

OH my gawd --- make this STOP !!

Now we are onto "Fake News"

Focus people -- "Winnipesaukee island owner faces fines of $1,000 a day for home expansion"
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #24
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

I know, NASA and 97% of the actively publishing scientific community are somehow wrong, making up lies, swayed by liberal politics, etc., etc., etc.

The whole idea of believing what we want, discounting any evidence to the contrary, and throwing out labels like fake news or alternative facts is fascinating.
Phantom, I promise this is my last statement on the subject. For those of you who are familiar with the trust equation, trust is equal to credibility, reliability and intimacy divided by one's self interest. Thus, if self interest is really high, then trust is severely diminished. In this case, it is in the best interest of NASA and research scientists to perpetuate the myth of man made climate change. Their jobs and research dollars depend on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (08-07-2018), subaruliving (09-15-2021)
Old 08-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #25
Biggd

Quote:
Phantom, I promise this is my last statement on the subject. For those of you who are familiar with the trust equation, trust is equal to credibility, reliability and intimacy divided by one's self interest. Thus, if self interest is really high, then trust is severely diminished. In this case, it is in the best interest of NASA and research scientists to perpetuate the myth of man made climate change. Their jobs and research dollars depend on it.
Well we know where your self interest lies so I agree, "trust is severely diminished". Thank you for making that your last post on the subject.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #26
Garcia

Quote:
There’s so much here, yet so little...
Old 08-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #27
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

In the meantime, I'm going to ask neighbors for a tow to Welcome Island and maybe take some pictures. (And sail back). Can someone advise the best route from the Marriott Compound—where we'll start the tow? This will be a tow, so boat-traffic will be an important consideration.

Also, is "Welcome Island" a real name?

Really?

You would have your "raghangar" towed by a "stinkpot" Oh the horror! Oh the pollution! Oh the noise from the straining GASOLINE engine!

What if your neighbors see this? Oh my!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #28
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
It's a cost-benefit analysis. I'm willing to loosen regulations to promote growth in business. I trust our President, and it appears to be working well. And before I hear it from those of you concerned about our kids and grandkids, I would think you'd be far more concerned about the national debt. Every man, woman, and illegal in the U.S. is saddled with $60,000+ of debt. And it's only getting worse.

So, wait a second, you’re against pollution as long as it doesn’t affect the pocketbook. And frankly, I’m a lot more concerned about having clean water to drink and clean air to breath then I am with the debt (which, by the way, your guy just increased by an estimated $2.3 trillion over the next decade) not just for my kids and grand kids but for me.

Have you checked the air in countries without air quality standards like China, Mexico, Chile, etc, etc. I spent over 35 years in the environmental field and remember the Cuyahoga River burning; the Charles & Blackstone Rivers so polluted you couldn’t swim or fish them; and areas of a tidal river in Salem that the color depended on what a local ink company was running that day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-07-2018), thinkxingu (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:47 AM   #29
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Don’t worry Major, you’re not alone in your beliefs about this bogus global warming baloney. It’s just PC to be on that bandwagon...

This article was just published today:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/08/...climate-alarm/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Major (08-07-2018), subaruliving (09-15-2021)
Old 08-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #30
loonguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Don’t worry Major, you’re not alone in your beliefs about this bogus global warming baloney. It’s just PC to be on that bandwagon...

This article was just published today:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/08/...climate-alarm/
It might be PC, but I trust the the science (and the 99% of the scientists supporting it) much more than the naysayers focused on their personal interests and contrarian ways. PC is often actually correct. For a current real news article go to https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/07/healt...ntl/index.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loonguy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-07-2018), thinkxingu (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #31
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
So, wait a second, you’re against pollution as long as it doesn’t affect the pocketbook. And frankly, I’m a lot more concerned about having clean water to drink and clean air to breath then I am with the debt (which, by the way, your guy just increased by an estimated $2.3 trillion over the next decade) not just for my kids and grand kids but for me.

Have you checked the air in countries without air quality standards like China, Mexico, Chile, etc, etc. I spent over 35 years in the environmental field and remember the Cuyahoga River burning; the Charles & Blackstone Rivers so polluted you couldn’t swim or fish them; and areas of a tidal river in Salem that the color depended on what a local ink company was running that day.

Exactly this. Here's an interesting article (I know it's probably fake news to some of you): https://www.popsci.com/america-before-epa-photos.

My truth--one backed up by pesky facts--is that (post 1960's) Republican ideology rarely, if ever, helps the masses. The policies enacted over the last couple years reward the rich. The tax cuts did very, very little for the average person, while returning millions/billions to the ultra rich, especially since those cuts are going away in the next few years while the deficit is growing at a rate Republicans promised they'd never allow. In addition, facts show most of the money corporations received from the tax cuts (60-70%) has gone not into their workforces but into shareholder profits. At the same time, public lands are at risk both in terms of pollution by current corporate use and reduced protection as well as the threat to "sell them off" (once again, to corporations).

Effective buying power for the masses has gone down because raises haven't outpaced inflation (a few years ago we started to see the first raises for middle class Americans in a decade, but those are gone now) and added to education costs (both trade and college) the ability for the masses to get ahead is being weakened.

Add to all this the recent Supreme Court hits to unions--the organizations that achieved safety regulations, fair wages, 40-hour work week, vacation time, etc.--and we've got a bleak future for the masses.

Since we allowed so much money into politics, the rules are now made/bought by those with that money. Every policy enacted in the last couple years has been transparently better for the rich than the masses. (The Democrats aren't perfect, BTW--Obama should've slaughtered all those bankers who knowingly destroyed the system as well as prevented those asinine severance packages after corporations and banks received OUR money...)

NOW, the reason I wrote this on this thread is because the anger over the owner of this home is a reflection of an America that is growing tired of what it sees as rich privilege--that rich people can "buy" anything they want, including influence.

I'm not sure that happened here--as mentioned above, there's not enough evidence to know for sure--BUT that seems like an extreme house to be built on such a small island, especially when people with 20' docks are sometimes run through the ringer just to get them fixed.

Just my thoughts--Godspeed, friends!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #32
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Exactly this. Here's an interesting article (I know it's probably fake news to some of you): https://www.popsci.com/america-before-epa-photos.

My truth--one backed up by pesky facts--is that (post 1960's) Republican ideology rarely, if ever, helps the masses. The policies enacted over the last couple years reward the rich. The tax cuts did very, very little for the average person, while returning millions/billions to the ultra rich, especially since those cuts are going away in the next few years while the deficit is growing at a rate Republicans promised they'd never allow. In addition, facts show most of the money corporations received from the tax cuts (60-70%) has gone not into their workforces but into shareholder profits. At the same time, public lands are at risk both in terms of pollution by current corporate use and reduced protection as well as the threat to "sell them off" (once again, to corporations).

Effective buying power for the masses has gone down because raises haven't outpaced inflation (a few years ago we started to see the first raises for middle class Americans in a decade, but those are gone now) and added to education costs (both trade and college) the ability for the masses to get ahead is being weakened.

Add to all this the recent Supreme Court hits to unions--the organizations that achieved safety regulations, fair wages, 40-hour work week, vacation time, etc.--and we've got a bleak future for the masses.

Since we allowed so much money into politics, the rules are now made/bought by those with that money. Every policy enacted in the last couple years has been transparently better for the rich than the masses. (The Democrats aren't perfect, BTW--Obama should've slaughtered all those bankers who knowingly destroyed the system as well as prevented those asinine severance packages after corporations and banks received OUR money...)

NOW, the reason I wrote this on this thread is because the anger over the owner of this home is a reflection of an America that is growing tired of what it sees as rich privilege--that rich people can "buy" anything they want, including influence.

I'm not sure that happened here--as mentioned above, there's not enough evidence to know for sure--BUT that seems like an extreme house to be built on such a small island, especially when people with 20' docks are sometimes run through the ringer just to get them fixed.

Just my thoughts--Godspeed, friends!

I’m sorry the “facts” cannot and do not show that the new tax laws did not help the average person nor that 60-70% of Corp cuts have gone to shareholders. The FACT is the changes took affect 1/1/18 and no person or company has filed a tax return yet that includes the changes. These are merely assumptions and many incorrect. This was a complicated change to the code and conclusions can only be drawn after this coming tax season in 2019.

Also you point out the bad but left out the good such as increase in the stock market (which helps many employees 401k), reduced unemployment and increased GDP.

Not to mention that politicians local or otherwise have been influenced by money since the beginning of time, certainly nothing new.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #33
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I’m sorry the “facts” cannot and do not show that the new tax laws did not help the average person nor that 60-70% of Corp cuts have gone to shareholders. The FACT is the changes took affect 1/1/18 and no person or company has filed a tax return yet that includes the changes. These are merely assumptions and many incorrect. This was a complicated change to the code and conclusions can only be drawn after this coming tax season in 2019.

Also you point out the bad but left out the good such as increase in the stock market (which helps many employees 401k), reduced unemployment and increased GDP.

Not to mention that politicians local or otherwise have been influenced by money since the beginning of time, certainly nothing new.

Unemployment has been dropping for almost a decade, jobs reports show the change is trivial while wage growth is stagnant, and most economists agree the current GDP/economic situation is unsustainable. Something bad is coming because we moved from a conservative (ironic!), sustainable, approach to an aggressive, unsustainable one.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #34
thinkxingu

PS I agree on politicians having always been corruptible, but never as much as now, especially as a system.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #35
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Unemployment has been dropping for almost a decade, jobs reports show the change is trivial while wage growth is stagnant, and most economists agree the current GDP/economic situation is unsustainable. Something bad is coming because we moved from a conservative (ironic!), sustainable, approach to an aggressive, unsustainable one.

In our history no period of growth in ever sustainable that is economics 101 so no one is going out on a limb saying it can’t continue. The question is always how long will it continue and while it’s happening accept the best and as always in the economy prepare for the worst.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #36
Biggd

Quote:
In our history no period of growth in ever sustainable that is economics 101 so no one is going out on a limb saying it can’t continue. The question is always how long will it continue and while it’s happening accept the best and as always in the economy prepare for the worst.

In my adult life I've seen and been affected by 3 good down turns. I've been bit enough to know that another one is coming. I was fortunate enough to read the last one ahead of time but this time it's much more difficult but it's coming.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #37
Shreddy

Quote:

As someone with a highly vested interest in the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act and understanding most if not all of the intricacies, I have no issue educating anyone that thinks this was merely a tax break for large corporations or the wealthy. The entire TCJA is a landmark overhaul that is intended to make the U.S. significantly more competitive as compared to other jurisdictions. I will not bore with the logistics of how, but confident in this and would be happy to filter a discussion outside of being behind a keyboard.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #38
Biggd

While everything looks rosy now the true effects are in the distant future. Everything now is just a prediction. We will see where this takes us. I like many of the things Trump has done but I don't like the man. There's no reason why he couldn't do many of the things he's doing and be a respectable person at the same time.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #39
Shreddy

Quote:
While everything looks rosy now the true effects are in the distant future. Everything now is just a prediction. We will see where this takes us. I like many of the things Trump has done but I don't like the man. There's no reason why he couldn't do many of the things he's doing and be a respectable person at the same time.
I don't disagree here, but I also disliked the personable "beer summits" that Obama needed to have at times. As POTUS, your job is not to be everyone's best friend. Inevitably, there will be folks that dislike no matter the circumstances.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #40
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
I don't disagree here, but I also disliked the personable "beer summits" that Obama needed to have at times. As POTUS, your job is not to be everyone's best friend. Inevitably, there will be folks that dislike no matter the circumstances.
The warts of this expansion won't be know for some time. The faster you go up the harder it comes crashing down. I prefer moderate growth as opposed to fast past pace expansion. If we start to hit 5% GDP like this president wants to see then we'll be headed for a hard fall. Everything was rosy under Bush until it came crashing down and the real warts were exposed.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #41
TheProfessor

Quote:
Yep.

The "media" meet every morning in a coffee shop in Brooklyn, NY and decide which news to feed the general public.

Yep, the CEO's of Viacom, News Corp., Disney, Time Warner, all divvy up the news. Rupert Murdoch and George Soros usually share a cappuccino together.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:19 AM   #42
ApS

Question Republicans Aren't Helping? Mobilize The Masses...!

Quote:

My truth--one backed up by pesky facts--is that (post 1960's) Republican ideology rarely, if ever, helps the masses. The policies enacted over the last couple years reward the rich. The tax cuts did very, very little for the average person, while returning millions/billions to the ultra rich, especially since those cuts are going away in the next few years while the deficit is growing at a rate Republicans promised they'd never allow. In addition, facts show most of the money corporations received from the tax cuts (60-70%) has gone not into their workforces but into shareholder profits. At the same time, public lands are at risk both in terms of pollution by current corporate use and reduced protection as well as the threat to "sell them off" (once again, to corporations). Effective buying power for the masses has gone down because raises haven't outpaced inflation (a few years ago we started to see the first raises for middle class Americans in a decade, but those are gone now) and added to education costs (both trade and college) the ability for the masses to get ahead is being weakened. Add to all this the recent Supreme Court hits to unions--the organizations that achieved safety regulations, fair wages, 40-hour work week, vacation time, etc.--and we've got a bleak future for the masses. Since we allowed so much money into politics, the rules are now made/bought by those with that money. Every policy enacted in the last couple years has been transparently better for the rich than the masses. (The Democrats aren't perfect, BTW--Obama should've slaughtered all those bankers who knowingly destroyed the system as well as prevented those asinine severance packages after corporations and banks received OUR money...) NOW, the reason I wrote this on this thread is because the anger over the owner of this home is a reflection of an America that is growing tired of what it sees as rich privilege--that rich people can "buy" anything they want, including influence. I'm not sure that happened here--as mentioned above, there's not enough evidence to know for sure--BUT that seems like an extreme house to be built on such a small island, especially when people with 20' docks are sometimes run through the ringer just to get them fixed. Just my thoughts--Godspeed, friends!
Karl Marx, having just learned of Republican ideology, must be spinning in his grave.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #43
Major

Default Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Yep.

The "media" meet every morning in a coffee shop in Brooklyn, NY and decide which news to feed the general public.

Yep, the CEO's of Viacom, News Corp., Disney, Time Warner, all divvy up the news. Rupert Murdoch and George Soros usually share a cappuccino together.
The gym that I work out in has two televisions, one set to CNN and the other to MSNBC. I work in Cambridge, MA, so go figure. My experience is somewhat anecdotal, but it seems to me that every single second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day is dedicated to destroying Trump. Every time I look at these televisions, there is a story or panel bashing Trump. You can't tell me that these media outlets do not have an agenda. It is clear they don't like Trump and want to see him destroyed. It is also clear that seemingly, Trump sells and is good for business!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #44
Major

Default Republican Ideology

Quote:

My truth--one backed up by pesky facts--is that (post 1960's) Republican ideology rarely, if ever, helps the masses.
I remind you that it is not republican ideology that created the messes that we have in cities like Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington DC, St. Louis, etc. These cities have been run exclusively by democrats for the past 50+ years. It is liberal, not conservative, policies that brought them to where they are right now.

I do agree with you that both sides are to blame. Rhino republicans like the Bushes, McCain, Romney, McConnell, Ryan spend like democrats. Bush is as much to blame for our national debt as Obama, although Obama put it on warp speed.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #45
Biggd

Quote:
The gym that I work out in has two televisions, one set to CNN and the other to MSNBC. I work in Cambridge, MA, so go figure. My experience is somewhat anecdotal, but it seems to me that every single second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day is dedicated to destroying Trump. Every time I look at these televisions, there is a story or panel bashing Trump. You can't tell me that these media outlets do not have an agenda. It is clear they don't like Trump and want to see him destroyed. It is also clear that seemingly, Trump sells and is good for business!
He gives the media more ammunition than any other president ever has. They do it because they know it's going to get a rise and response out of him.
They love the fact that he Tweets ridiculous crap every day because that feeds another story.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM   #46
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I don't think that Don meant by moving it here, that talking politics is OK so I will stay out of that discussion!

I will weigh in on the potential causes of our next 2 economic downturns: unfunded pension liabilities and student debt defaults. These are both huge issues that must be solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Major (08-08-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #47
ApS

Lightbulb The Process of "Making It Political"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I don't think that Don meant by moving it here, that talking politics is OK so I will stay out of that discussion!

I will weigh in on the potential causes of our next 2 economic downturns: unfunded pension liabilities and student debt defaults. These are both huge issues that must be solved.

This sounds like my neighbor, whose sentences (and opinion) run-on without taking a breath:

Quote:
"I refuse to talk about politics...have you seen Trump's latest lie?"
Her beliefs are supposed to stay apolitical, but arrived from North Carolina with a family stoked by deep memories of the KKK, whose donkey-party history goes back to the Civil War!

Old 08-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #48
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

This sounds like my neighbor, whose sentences (and opinion) run-on without taking a breath:

Her beliefs are supposed to stay apolitical, but arrived from North Carolina with a family stoked by deep memories of the KKK, whose donkey-party history goes back to the Civil War!

WTF, was this really needed?
Old 08-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #49
ApS

Question Ridiculous Crap? We'll See How That Plays Out...

And let us remind you:

Quote:
WTF, was this really needed?
It's needed—should those who are ignorant of history try to shift blame to the wrong people—"those people" who saved The Union in 1865. (And who are today trying to save The Republic from those living burdened with saving Democracy).

In a lesser context, part of my answer was needed to show the hypocrisy of those who "know" exactly how we should be governed.

But, like many big-city Governments, are wrong!

Last edited by ApS; 08-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.