Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts
Default Composite Decking

We have a wraparound low deck of about 550 sq. feet and are getting bids to have it resurfaced. The old material is stained 25-year-old pressure treated wood. The bids that we have are for Trex brand composite decking. As we have no experience with composite decking, some questions:

One apparent downside is vulnerability to scuffing and scratching. Is this a real issue? We do scrape snow off with shovels and a small snow blower. Also, roof access for chimney sweeping involves setting a ladder on the low deck.

Another possible issue is thermal expansion with the main decking section being on the south side. Should we stay away from brown and just consider the grey colors? Or does proper installation make this a non-issue?

The Trex composite comes in 3 grades: Select “good”, Enhance “better” and Transcend “best”. I have not found a good explanation of what the differences in the self-ratings are really based on. No doubt the pricing goes from $ to $$ to $$$.

We will probably have the house on the market in 2 or 3 years so presumably composite will be more attractive than PT to a buyer. On the other hand, PT is much lower in initial cost and maybe stands up better to being beat upon. Any comments?
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Doobs41378

We had it narrowed down to Mahogany and Azek and went with the wood. They were both the same price give or take. Big mistake in my opinion. The upkeep on the wood is just a PIA. I could have spent the same money and had almost no upkeep. Hindsight is 20/20 but I would go with the composite.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
DesertDweller

I personally would never have a non composite deck again and my guess is that it would be a very good selling point for a house. Never need to stain, treat, or otherwise and continues to look great. My deck is gray in color with white railings and I think it looks really nice. Sure it scuffs and what not but nothing to get too excited about. Trex is the original and many would say the best. There are cheaper alternatives. One thing to note is that depending on what brand/type of composite decking you go with, make sure your existing joists are not too far apart to properly support the composite lumber. I think Trex comes in different qualities like you mentioned and some of them are designed to span longer joist spacing distances.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
Dad sold the C * C

We have composit decking on both houses and I'm happy with it. The minimal maintenance and no splinters is a big plus. It was a selling point when we bought the lake house 3 years ago.

In Mass we inherited a RedWood deck, which was beautiful, but one more job that had to be done every few years. When we did a renovation that required removing half the deck we had a hard decision to make, redwood was out of the budget. We went with composit and we are still happy with the decision. I am happy to say that no redwood deck ended up in a land-fill. I took it apart piece by piece and have used it on several projects including one at the lake that has markings from our long gone cat.

550 sq feet is a lot of deck to maintain. Yes it can get hot on bare feet but anything can. If it was a small deck that a nice expensive natural wood could add an accent piece, that's one thing. Personally, composit over PT on a second home where you do your own maintenance, composit all the way.

This has been discussed before I'm sure you will get a lot of good information.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Sellig?

We too have 25 year old PT decking. ISS painted it and it looks like new. Granted, the life expectancy of a painted surface is low, but I'd talk to a realtor about how much to spend where for most bang for the buck.

Your neighbor in the cove has a huge dock/deck complex, all trex, several years old, still looks great. No maintenance except cleaning up spills, no snow removal is done.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
Water Camper

Default Trex

I put Trex on our deck at the lake. Love it, even though our deck is directly in the sun, never hot. Very comfortable on the feet.
Our deck at home is pressure treated, would love to replace with Trex !

My opinion only.
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Slick;

Here's a chart explaining the difference...

http://www.anotheramazingdeck.com/20...end-decking-3/

Not a fan of Trex at all. I have seen too many issues over the years with their product. If I was building a composite deck today I would use either Azek or Latitudes. Good thread on composite decking here... https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...posite+decking

Lighter colors will fade much less and absorb much less heat (cooler on the feet). No issues with scuffing and less prone than wood to scuffing except maybe IPE.

Dan
Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Azek is the best. The only problem is it's a lot heavier than wood so make sure the structural part of the deck is up to the added weight. Otherwise with snow load added it could be a problem.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #9
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
I personally would never have a non composite deck again and my guess is that it would be a very good selling point for a house.
What he said. Every deck we've done for the past 10 years has been some type of man-made material and I've never regretted it.

When we re-built our cabin at the lake, one of my priorities was to design everything outside to be as maintenance free as possible. Was it more expensive? Somewhat. But worth it. 5 years later, outside looks as good as when it was built, and we've yet to do anything to it. Most people don't even know it's not wood until they ask.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
jetlag100

Used composite up the lake house...it gets dumped on every time the metal roof lets go...LOL ..One year the roof had ice, it slid, it broke through the deck...that was an unusually hard winter...looks great...it's 10 years old... cleans up beautifully...use deck wash on it..no issues...wish I had it at my city house..$$$$$$$$$$$
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #11
winni83

When we built our house 4 years ago we used Azek for the decks. Very pleased with the way they look. We do use a snow shovel with a plastic blade on the decks.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #12
DickR

On our new house, built 2010-11, we used Fiberon imitation IPE composite decking. It still looks new, and it's a good match to the house siding. It has a fairly tough shell over the core material and seems to stand up well to abuse, including snow shoveling with a plastic shovel. I suspect PT would suffer more abuse over time than the composite does, being a wood product. Plus, the PT would tend to present potential splinters to bare feet over time, whereas the composite will not. Long-term maintenance tilts in favor of composite. Bear in mind that labor to install either type of decking likely will be more than the material itself, so a lesser uptick for better material won't be as big a deal.

If you do go composite, as others have noted, make sure the joist spacing is close enough for the material, particularly if the decking is attached at 45 degrees, which may call for 12" OC joist spacing. Also, if composite decking is used, and it has grooves on the edges for the use of hidden fasteners, then lateral bracing of the framing will be required, since the use of those fasteners does not provide racking resistance.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanks for all of the good replies and I suspect some more yet to come.

Right now we are sticking with the composite plan, likely a light grey color. That is the color of the stain we have on the old PT decking and have been happy with that color. The bid that we have is the Trex Transcend line, will talk to the contractor about other options. The size of the deck does lead to pretty high material costs.

The 25 year old PT decking would have been in much better shape if the original owner had sealed or stained it. Rather it went 10 years untouched except for mother nature resulting in lots of surface cracks and splinters.

As an aside I must have messed up on my advanced search prior to posting. Got zero past results meaning that I must have accidentally clicked on the wrong forum on the sidebar.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #14
Woody38

Our house in Massachusetts is 25 years old with the original pine decking. The original owner had the house built and the contractor did the usual by cutting corners. The deck is stained and had minimal care by the owner. Interesting that we painted the house two years ago and I assumed the deck was included. When they finished I was told they would stain the deck for $800.
My fault, but this is the first time I had a house painted and they did not do the deck. This deck is sort of beat up but presentable. I got out the sander and did some sanding on the worst spots and lightly elsewhere. My real issue is that stain today is not oil. Didn't soak in so good and did not shed water like the oil. I am applying a second coat.
If I were to replace this deck I would use mahogany or teak. AND proper maintainance
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #15
SAB1

What Ishoot said. Two of my friends are quality builders and will use nothing but azek. To manyissues with trex that they have to go back and fix.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Azek

We just replaced our Douglas Fir deck with Azek. We bought it at Winnipesaukee Lumber- they were great to deal with.

Our joists were already 12"OC. We did picture frame ours to cover the edges.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
tis (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #17
Busy Livin'

Default Hidden Fasteners

Recommend the Camo Hidden Fastener System for whatever decking material you use. We did our deck last year with Azek from Winni Lumber and secured it with the Camo system...came out great. Easy to use and practically invisible.
Busy Livin' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy Livin' For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (02-24-2017), tis (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

When I had put new siding on my house I used Azek for all the trim, facia and crown molding on my windows. Love that stuff. Azek came more recommended than Trex. FWIW

Just an fyi. I have seen on both materials what appears like mold spots. It does come off with scrubbing.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
When I had put new siding on my house I used Azek for all the trim, facia and crown molding on my windows. Love that stuff. Azek came more recommended than Trex. FWIW

Just an fyi. I have seen on both materials what appears like mold spots. It does come off with scrubbing.
The composite decking does get dirty on occasion. The solution is easy.......just use a power washer and everything looks brand new. I spend 2-3 hours with a power washer on my composite deck and it looks like New after I'm finished. Definitely go with good quality composite.....you will not be disappointed.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #20
CaptT820

Default Composite

Couldn't agree with Easy Livin' any more. The Camo deck system is wayyy cheaper than hidden fasteners and goes in much faster. I built a 1350 sq. ft. full wrap around farmers porch on our last house using Camo and Evergrain decking by Tamko. The decking worked great and the system to put it in worked great. I cannot stress enough, as others have, that the joist spacing is absolutely critical depending on the product. I currently have mahogany at our house and I would replace it (if it wasn't so expensive) with composite.
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Fiberon

Probably the oldest and preferred by top builders and architects.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #22
Diver Vince

Let's make this simple..Use Azek. Can't be beat. Our deck now 4 years old and looks great!
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver Vince For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (03-24-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #23
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We have a wraparound low deck of about 550 sq. feet and are getting bids to have it resurfaced. The old material is stained 25-year-old pressure treated wood. The bids that we have are for Trex brand composite decking. As we have no experience with composite decking, some questions:

One apparent downside is vulnerability to scuffing and scratching. Is this a real issue? We do scrape snow off with shovels and a small snow blower. Also, roof access for chimney sweeping involves setting a ladder on the low deck.

Another possible issue is thermal expansion with the main decking section being on the south side. Should we stay away from brown and just consider the grey colors? Or does proper installation make this a non-issue?

The Trex composite comes in 3 grades: Select “good”, Enhance “better” and Transcend “best”. I have not found a good explanation of what the differences in the self-ratings are really based on. No doubt the pricing goes from $ to $$ to $$$.

We will probably have the house on the market in 2 or 3 years so presumably composite will be more attractive than PT to a buyer. On the other hand, PT is much lower in initial cost and maybe stands up better to being beat upon. Any comments?
curious on "the bid" process did you get contractors to give you bids. not trying to be a smart butt just wondering????
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #24
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
curious on "the bid" process did you get contractors to give you bids. not trying to be a smart butt just wondering????
A bit of a story.

We originally got 2 bids for Trex Transcend. There is about 500 sq ft of wrap around deck and a 50 sq ft balcony deck. Then we were considering additional quotes for Azek but did some more research. The large wrap around deck is a low free standing structure subject to some movement due to frost. The Azek web site cautions against using their product in such situations.

Then as we plan to sell in 2 or 3 years I took Descant's advice in post #5. I asked our realtor if composite decking would would be a real advantage over stained PT decking provided that the PT was recently installed and in excellent condition. The answer was not much of an advantage. The advice was to go the PT route and use the difference toward new granite counter tops in the kitchen. We had the contractor we had chosen rebid using PT, the difference is about 4K which is about 2/3 the cost of the granite counter tops. So that is what we just decided to do.

Appreciate all the good comments.

Alan
Old 03-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
DesertDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
A bit of a story.

We originally got 2 bids for Trex Transcend. There is about 500 sq ft of wrap around deck and a 50 sq ft balcony deck. Then we were considering additional quotes for Azek but did some more research. The large wrap around deck is a low free standing structure subject to some movement due to frost. The Azek web site cautions against using their product in such situations.

Then as we plan to sell in 2 or 3 years I took Descant's advice in post #5. I asked our realtor if composite decking would would be a real advantage over stained PT decking provided that the PT was recently installed and in excellent condition. The answer was not much of an advantage. The advice was to go the PT route and use the difference toward new granite counter tops in the kitchen. We had the contractor we had chosen rebid using PT, the difference is about 4K which is about 2/3 the cost of the granite counter tops. So that is what we just decided to do.

Appreciate all the good comments.

Alan
As they say, kitchens sell houses so it sounds like a good move to me........
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #26

Default Cost per square foot

Great thread

For those that have installed either Trex or Azek, do you mind sharing the approximate cost per square foot that you received from installers.

I am thinking about having my deck redone and need to do some budgeting and saving.

Thanks

newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #27
SIKSUKR

Cant give the installers price but the material itself is around double the price of pt.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #28
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
Great thread

For those that have installed either Trex or Azek, do you mind sharing the approximate cost per square foot that you received from installers.

I am thinking about having my deck redone and need to do some budgeting and saving.

Thanks

A few years ago I was quoted around 10k for 200 sq ft deck with railings for Azek. This included building the base as well as they were not replacing a deck it was a brand new deck.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #29
SAB1

Last year we built a new home. The deck is 14x16 an it came in at 6,800 I believe
Old 06-06-2017, 10:01 PM   #30
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Last year we built a new home. The deck is 14x16 an it came in at 6,800 I believe
$6800 for TREX or PT?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #31
Biggd

Quote:
That doesn't sound right. That's about what it would cost just for materials if you include the PT framing and the Sona tube footings. My son built one about the same size 2 years ago using Azek. Just the materials were more than that and he got a contractors discount at Harvey's.

Last edited by Biggd; 06-07-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #32
SAB1

Just checked my file. Materials alone were $6,078 for the Azek and framing under the deck, railings and three 3 stairs off the corner.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #33
Biggd

Quote:
Just checked my file. Materials alone were $6,078 for the Azek and framing under the deck, railings and three 3 stairs off the corner.
That's sounds more like it. My son went over and above what was require by the building code plus he use the fastening system they sell for securing the boards without seeing the screws which adds hundreds of $$$ more to the bill. Most builders will be 50/50 materials/labor. He got a price from a contractor of $13,500 and I doubt that they would have done a nicer job than he did himself with help of a carpenter friend. I think he paid his friend 3K so it still cost him about 10K but it came out beautiful.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #34
ApS

Red face PT=Stronger, Cheaper, Check for Splinters...

We've got a PT dock that's 37 years old.

After casual and intermittent treatments with Thompson's Sealer, it's only recently that some deterioration has appeared. I'm dabbing the trouble spots with an epoxy w/filler, rather than taking the trouble to replace a few boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
Let's make this simple..Use Azek. Can't be beat. Our deck now 4 years old and looks great!
Azek showed no complaints on Complaintsboard. Other brands didn't fare so well...

Attached Images

Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #35
Leoskeys

Default Azek decking - slippery when wet?

We are having our lakefront deck redone, and are planning on Azek. We have dozens of samples in hand. Looks to be three options/levels of Azek - Vintage(most expensive), Arbor, and Harvest(least expensive). Does anyone have experience with this type of decking when wet? Any specific opinions on the three options?. The most expensive seems to have the best “grain” and traction. We may also use the same to redo our docks decking. Obviouslly Azek comes well recommended by this forum, but is it much more slippery than pressure treated, and anyone have personal experience with the three levels and the look, feel.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #36
WinnisquamZ

Had a Azek deck built and lived with for 11 years. Only negative was the heat. Deck was in full sun very hot on bare feet. Had to use a outdoor rug

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #37
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
We are having our lakefront deck redone, and are planning on Azek. We have dozens of samples in hand. Looks to be three options/levels of Azek - Vintage(most expensive), Arbor, and Harvest(least expensive). Does anyone have experience with this type of decking when wet? Any specific opinions on the three options?. The most expensive seems to have the best “grain” and traction. We may also use the same to redo our docks decking. Obviouslly Azek comes well recommended by this forum, but is it much more slippery than pressure treated, and anyone have personal experience with the three levels and the look, feel.
You won’t go wrong with Azek decking. It’s been around for a long time and is a proven excellent product. I have Azek at my home in Gilford and do not find it any more slippery than wood.

I am not positive but believe their more expensive Vintage line of decking is also a fire rated product. Depending on your use and budget the fire rating may be well worth the difference in price.

Darker colors will absorb heat more than lighter colors and will also show more fade. Fading will stop after one season in the sun.

Edited to add: just found this on line. Impressive! https://azek.com/docs/default-docume...index_v8-final

Dan
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #38
Barney Bear

Default Hot Foot🔥

For most of the season, we put an outdoor carpet on our medium gray, wood grain pattern Trex decking to avoid human hot dogs. Our decking was installed about five years ago and looks as good as new. We also used Trex on our small deck at home. 🌭🌭
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #39
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We had Trex at first and it was very hot on the feet. We have Azek now and I love it. The wood fibers in the Trex also got moldy and it was almost impossible to clean. But I think Azek now has a totally wood free product like Azek.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #40
codeman671

We are getting ready to do a seasonal dock after ice out. The builder suggested Trex saddle or just normal cedar. What are peoples thoughts on this? The hotness on the feet that I am hearing is a bit concerning, but is it just par for the course with all of the composites?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #41
Water Camper

Default Trex

Used Trex for our deck and the decking of our dock. Have not had the same experience as others as far as hot to the feet. Matter of fact have had the opposite experience, find it very comfortable on hot sunny days. Our decking is a light gray.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #42
tis

I would not get a composite, I would get one that is 100% PVC.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #43
MeredithMan

Default Azek...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
We have Azek on our dock. It obviously gets very wet from waves, water from swimmers, etc. Unlike the Bon Jovi album, it is not slippery when wet, (anyone else from the 80's will get that one! ). The "planks" do have wood grain "texture" in them so that helps with the grip. Also, our dock is in direct sun all day and we've never found the decking to be very hot. It is a light gray in color, so that may be a factor.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #44
Pete C

We are a deck design/build company, write for the decking industry and personally are an ocean person to lake convert(spouse induced). We specialize in both Trex & Azek/TT so can share some thoughts. The industry gets a lot of our data from Principia which do many comprehensive studies so you may want to check there for more information.

Whenever we design a project for the waterfront or pool environments (wet surfaces), we recommend the deepest woodgrain pattern which would be the Trex Transcend line. The cap is approx 3x thicker than others which allows the grain to be more pronounced thus giving a better grip. It's not that the others are bad or horribly slippery, it's just that Transcend has a deeper pattern. You really can not go wrong with either and the "good, better, best" are all good mostly having the same warranty.

As far as what's the difference between the "good, better, best"? Besides the colors(aesthetics), the caps durability increases as you go up the line. That is - the "best" has a harder shell/cap than the good or better thus less resistant to scratching. They will ALL scratch and scrape.

Lastly, studies confirm the darker colors will get hotter than the light colors (as much as double digit difference) so we generally encourage to go as light as you can when the project gets a lot of direct sunlight.

Again, as long as you stick with any of the top manufacturers, all are good choices.
Pete C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #45
Biggd

Azek is more slippery than wood, esp in winter when it's icy. I have two houses, one has Azek decking and the other has mahogany decking. The Azek is much more slippery, esp in winter.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #46
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
The cap is approx 3x thicker than others which allows the grain to be more pronounced thus giving a better grip. It's not that the others are bad or horribly slippery, it's just that Transcend has a deeper pattern. You really can not go wrong with either and the "good, better, best" are all good mostly having the same warranty.

As far as what's the difference between the "good, better, best"? Besides the colors(aesthetics), the caps durability increases as you go up the line.
The above statement is somewhat misleading when you are adding Azek into the comparison.

Azek has no "cap", it is solid PVC, the same color all the way through. I have found the woodgrain pattern on my Azek dock to be plenty "grippy" when wet.

For my previous deck, we used TimerTech, which was a "capped" composite, for a non-lake house. I was happy with it overall, though I did notice a small amount of swelling at some of the cut ends after a few years of exposure, so not sure how it would work for a dock, but for deck purposes I was happy with it.

Having done Azek now, and having built PT and composite decks in the past, I don't think I would do anything other than Azek in the future.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #47
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
We are a deck design/build company, write for the decking industry and personally are an ocean person to lake convert(spouse induced). We specialize in both Trex & Azek/TT so can share some thoughts. The industry gets a lot of our data from Principia which do many comprehensive studies so you may want to check there for more information.

Whenever we design a project for the waterfront or pool environments (wet surfaces), we recommend the deepest woodgrain pattern which would be the Trex Transcend line. The cap is approx 3x thicker than others which allows the grain to be more pronounced thus giving a better grip. It's not that the others are bad or horribly slippery, it's just that Transcend has a deeper pattern. You really can not go wrong with either and the "good, better, best" are all good mostly having the same warranty.

As far as what's the difference between the "good, better, best"? Besides the colors(aesthetics), the caps durability increases as you go up the line. That is - the "best" has a harder shell/cap than the good or better thus less resistant to scratching. They will ALL scratch and scrape.

Lastly, studies confirm the darker colors will get hotter than the light colors (as much as double digit difference) so we generally encourage to go as light as you can when the project gets a lot of direct sunlight.

Again, as long as you stick with any of the top manufacturers, all are good choices.

Did you mean to say “less resistant to scratching”?

It would seem that a harder cap would be more resistant.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #48
Busy Livin'

Default Good Decking Deal

Good timing on this forum...I am preparing for a new deck at our island home this spring so I have been in the market for Azek decking. Yesterday I purchased nearly 1,000 liner feet of Azek decking for only $2.31 per linear foot...1/2 of what I paid last year at a local lumber yard. Recommend you check out www.hiliquo.com if you are in the market for high-end Trex and Azek decking at a great price. Phone is 508-832-2526...ask for Sam.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #49
Leoskeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Livin' View Post
Good timing on this forum...I am preparing for a new deck at our island home this spring so I have been in the market for Azek decking. Yesterday I purchased nearly 1,000 liner feet of Azek decking for only $2.31 per linear foot...1/2 of what I paid last year at a local lumber yard. Recommend you check out www.hiliquo.com if you are in the market for high-end Trex and Azek decking at a great price. Phone is 508-832-2526...ask for Sam.

Which of the three levels of Azek did you buy at $2.31ft?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #50
Busy Livin'

Azek Acacia in the Arbor Collection
Old 02-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #51
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Azek has no "cap", it is solid PVC, the same color all the way through.
The Azek Arcacia is a "cap"construction.

Here is Lowes description:Capped Polymer Decking: With an enhanced real-wood look and strength backed by Alloy Armour Technology™, AZEK’s capped polymer decking materials are top of the line in quality and beauty
Industry Leading Warranty: Limited 30-year fade & stain, limited lifetime against material defects, termite & rot damage
Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 PM   #52
Woody38

We don't particularly appreciate the look of the composites. We have apine deck which was abused by the previous owner which I stained last year and will apply another coat this year. Should last for some time. The building inspector recommended mahogany and told me where to purchase the lumber. There are
different mahogany lumbers available and the quality is also different. Mahogany may be left to weather to s nice silvery color. Then there is also redwood. These woods are $$ but may be worth the look.

-----------------------------------------------
I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Old 02-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #53
tis

I had a mahogany deck, not dock and it was a nightmare to keep looking nice. It was Cambarra though not the Ipe (an ironwood a form of mahogany). The Ipe is the one that turns grey. I hated the mahogany. Redwood is not available in the Northeast.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #54
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I had a mahogany deck, not dock and it was a nightmare to keep looking nice. It was Cambarra though not the Ipe (an ironwood a form of mahogany). The Ipe is the one that turns grey. I hated the mahogany. Redwood is not available in the Northeast.
I agree. We did mahogany and it’s a pain to have it stay looking nice. I will do composite next time.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #55
Eyeboat

I just spent a fair amnt of time on the Azek website ordering samples. It was not clear to me which lines were capped and which were solid PVC
Eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #56
Leoskeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeboat View Post
I just spent a fair amnt of time on the Azek website ordering samples. It was not clear to me which lines were capped and which were solid PVC
We ordered samples from Azek three weeks ago and they never arrived. Our contractor Shawn at Livingston builders took care of us and brought us about 15 samples. We decided on Costal from the Vintage collection.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #57
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
I agree. We did mahogany and it’s a pain to have it stay looking nice. I will do composite next time.

Mahogany does last but if it's left to weather it will eventually crack and split. I've been replacing boards on a 20 year old deck for the past 5 years now. I started out putting Thompsons water seal every year but eventually stopped when I turned it into a rental. If you want Mahogany to last you need to put some kind of oil on it alt least every other year.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #58
SIKSUKR

My cedar deck was the same pita to keep looking "new". Needed total attention of some sort every year. I gave up and when it needed to be replaced, just used PT and let it discolor to whatever it wanted to and let it be. No worries, it is what it is.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #59
Leoskeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Livin' View Post

Does that price include the warranty, I heard that if from liquidation places like that it often doesn't include warranty. That's why it's 1/2 off. Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #60
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Holla! I'm replacing the boards on my camp deck and am wondering if Azek is still the way to go? I'm looking for the least maintenance at the best cost. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #61
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Holla! I'm replacing the boards on my camp deck and am wondering if Azek is still the way to go? I'm looking for the least maintenance at the best cost. Thanks!

Two seasons ago I was talked out of PT by the individuals doing my deck. I was told Azek or other brands was the way to go. Could not be happier with the results

Old 04-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #62
Bear Islander

Quote:

Several years ago we replaced our deck with Azek. Last year we used Azek to resurface our dock.

With Azek the color goes all the way through, a real plus. The hidden screw system is invisible. It is not cheap, about the same price as top of the line Trex.

I recommend it.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #63
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Two seasons ago I was talked out of PT by the individuals doing my deck. I was told Azek or other brands was the way to go. Could not be happier with the results

Winnisq - what brand did you go with and why did you choose that one over others? This is a topic of interest to me as we'll be replacing our dock sometime in the near future. Thank you.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #64
WinnisquamZ

Individuals building it recommended Azek. Hidden screw system is great

Old 04-10-2020, 09:40 PM   #65
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:

We replaced our 40’x16’ deck last summer with Trex, and we are sorry we waited so long to get rid of the PT one that we did 20 years ago. The Trex came from Lowe’s and it is terrific. No regrets.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:24 AM   #66
loonguy

We used Trex last Summer to replace our front porch and are happy with the results.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:46 AM   #67
Barney Bear

Default No Hex on Trex

We installed gray Trex on our dock about seven years ago, and it still looks new. To protect feet and other portions of one's anatomy, we lay a large mat on the dock when our summertime guests arrive, as the decking gets quite hot. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #68
tis

Azek is absolutely the way to go. We have had them all. Trex is ok but as stated, it gets hot and has wood in it so will mildew-get black spots on it. They make it encapsulated now so it isn't as bad. But after years of not being happy I have had the Azek for many years now and still love it. It is worth it believe me.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #69
djwade4

Quote:

Mahogany with a good urethane base. Wolman’s is the best

djwade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #70
NH.Solar

Any time I have a question on, or curiousity about building questions I turn to Matt Risinger. Here's his input on decking; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDoSt5ErCSA
Old 04-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #71
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
Any time I have a question on, or curiousity about building questions I turn to Matt Risinger. Here's his input on decking; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDoSt5ErCSA
That was good for some aspects of decking (stains/scratches), but my real two questions right now are: heat and maintenance (mold, etc.).

It appears that A&B is going to have a great sale in a couple weeks—$1.60/ft. for Trex Enhance, which is ~$.20 cheaper than Lowe's sale price. Haven't checked HD.

I'm looking at the Beach Dune color.

Thoughts (for a summer camp mostly in full sun)?

Old 04-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #72
Hillcountry

Quote:
That was good for some aspects of decking (stains/scratches), but my real two questions right now are: heat and maintenance (mold, etc.).

It appears that A&B is going to have a great sale in a couple weeks—$1.60/ft. for Trex Enhance, which is ~$.20 cheaper than Lowe's sale price. Haven't checked HD.

I'm looking at the Beach Dune color.

Thoughts (for a summer camp mostly in full sun)?

Who is "A&B" ? We are looking at composites as well...hopefully our deck infrastructure is sound so we can just replace the decking. Will be doing some investigating the underneath when the weather breaks. My wife and I will be doing all the work.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #73
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Who is "A&B" ? We are looking at composites as well...hopefully our deck infrastructure is sound so we can just replace the decking. Will be doing some investigating the underneath when the weather breaks. My wife and I will be doing all the work.
A&B is the lumber place in Moultonborough—all Belletet's are having the sale.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #74
sky's

Quote:
you have to keep in mind composite is nearly 3 times heavier than wood. i would say in around a dozen or so decks we do a year the frame 99% of the time is not sound and will need to be replaced. also many decks that were installed were nailed down which is WRONG when you remove the old decking chances are you'll see huge nail holes that may be a factor as well even with a hidden fastener system. good luck in your project. also check your ledger board to make sure it was flashed properly
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #75
Biggd

Quote:
you have to keep in mind composite is nearly 3 times heavier than wood. i would say in around a dozen or so decks we do a year the frame 99% of the time is not sound and will need to be replaced. also many decks that were installed were nailed down which is WRONG when you remove the old decking chances are you'll see huge nail holes that may be a factor as well even with a hidden fastener system. good luck in your project. also check your ledger board to make sure it was flashed properly
Most decks that were built 20 or so years ago are probably not strong enough for composite decking, esp if the frame has deteriorated.
I built a 14' x 16' composite deck a few years ago for my son and the town made me use 16" sono-tubes instead of the usual 12" because of the extra weight. That was a lot more bags of cement than I wanted to mix!
I noticed that when I bought an extension for my Aluminum dock they use a much lighter material for their deck boards. It's not the same as the composites decking.
Composite decking might be OK for a permanent dock but it would be too heavy for a dock that had to be removed every year.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #76
tis

Azek is not composite though.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #77
Biggd

Quote:
Azek is not composite though.
It is still very heavy though.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #78
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:

Would it be fair to guess (notice I avoided "assume") that this won't happen for maybe a year, or two?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #79
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It is still very heavy though.
It's not really. It's lighter than wood.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #80
Hillcountry

Quote:
Our deck was built with pressure treated 2x6 dimensional. Most were 12 footers and of course, the rest cut to fit. These boards are much heavier than normal 5/4 decking. I would think if the structure was built to accommodate 2x6 PT, it would more than suffice for composite. Yes? No?
Old 04-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #81
8gv

There is a conspiracy to make things heavier every year.

This often goes undetected until one reaches the age of sixty or so.

It seems that the added weight is more noticeable each year after that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-12-2020), Biggd (04-12-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #82
tis

Azek is not a composite. It does not have wood in it. Trex is a composite. It has wood inside it which makes it heavier and which also makes it hotter and makes it especially susceptible to the dampness around the lake.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #83
ishoot308

Azek is 100% PVC, no wood or sawdust in it whatsoever. It is better suited for wet environments over Trex or other “composite” type decking.

Get the Azek and don’t look back!

Dan
tis (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #84
Woody38

Talked with the building inspector when we were considering building a deck. His recommendation was mahogany. He said he would tell me where to obtain the lumber and just how to put a finish on it. Unfortunately or not the deck was not built as we sold the house, but I believe i would go with the mahogany.
I watched the video on Build and the only thing I have to say is I an not fond of Sikens. Many boat owners on the Cape put it on their teak but others have used other products which I think performed better. However, that is a personal decision.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #85
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Azek is 100% PVC, no wood or sawdust in it whatsoever. It is better suited for wet environments over Trex or other “composite” type decking.

Get the Azek and don’t look back!

Dan
My deck is in direct sun most of the day, so I'm not too concerned with moisture. I think $ will dictate this decision as it appears not to be "a little more" but probably double. I'm still researching products and prices, though.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #86
ishoot308

Quote:
My deck is in direct sun most of the day, so I'm not too concerned with moisture. I think $ will dictate this decision as it appears not to be "a little more" but probably double. I'm still researching products and prices, though.

If your deck is in direct sunlight you will rarely even have to clean / power wash it. The sun will keep it clean and mold free.

Yes it probably cost double compared to PT.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dan
Old 04-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #87
NH.Solar

Does anyone have experience with hollow composite boards? I'm thinking these might be an especially worthwhile consideration for the decking on removable dock sections because of their claimed reduced weight
https://www.newtechwood.com/hollow-vs-solid-boards/
Old 04-12-2020, 07:04 AM   #88
tis

Our dock with Trex was in direct sun and it got black with mold.

We have also had mahogany on a deck and it is a beautiful wood but be prepared for constant upkeep. It always looks awful because you just can't keep up with it.

I agree with not liking Sikkens. It is awful, peels all the time.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #89
thinkxingu

Quote:
Our dock with Trex was in direct sun and it got black with mold.

We have also had mahogany on a deck and it is a beautiful wood but be prepared for constant upkeep. It always looks awful because you just can't keep up with it.

I agree with not liking Sikkens. It is awful, peels all the time.
What was the fix for your black mold?

Old 04-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #90
tis

Quote:
What was the fix for your black mold?
There isn't a fix. You live with it. We bleached it but you can't really get it out.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:11 AM   #91
Biggd

If you have a lot of shade you will get mold no matter what product you use. The only solution is to cut down trees.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #92
8gv

I have used two products from Lowe's that have made mold removal easy.

One is for siding and one is for the deck.

I spray it on, wait a few minutes and then hose off the yuk.

In limited areas a light brushing may be needed.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Home-Armor-...ner/1000210743

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mold-Armor-...ner/1000140751

The products seem to be interchangeable for my purposes.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #93
thinkxingu

Quote:
There isn't a fix. You live with it. We bleached it but you can't really get it out.
Gotcha. How long ago did you install the Trex? Are today's Trex any different/better?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #94
sky's

Quote:
Our deck was built with pressure treated 2x6 dimensional. Most were 12 footers and of course, the rest cut to fit. These boards are much heavier than normal 5/4 decking. I would think if the structure was built to accommodate 2x6 PT, it would more than suffice for composite. Yes? No?
i honestly wouldnt count on it. your going to make a great investment change the entire deck to new if your 12' out from the house. go with a 2x8 and also if your ever considering a hot tub or you entertain in the summer throw in a row of blocking in the middle. the big ticket is the decking not the frame. good luck. also depending on how close to the ground you are cover that area with heavy plastic and throw some stone on top to control moisture
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #95
ishoot308

Quote:
Gotcha. How long ago did you install the Trex? Are today's Trex any different/better?

Think,

A PVC product like Azek will resist mold better than the sawdust coated composites like Trex. In the shade however, anything will mold slightly.

Dan
Old 04-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #96
Hillcountry

Quote:
i honestly wouldnt count on it. your going to make a great investment change the entire deck to new if your 12' out from the house. go with a 2x8 and also if your ever considering a hot tub or you entertain in the summer throw in a row of blocking in the middle. the big ticket is the decking not the frame. good luck. also depending on how close to the ground you are cover that area with heavy plastic and throw some stone on top to control moisture
Yeah...we’ll see the story when we start stripping the 2x6 decking...I must say there is no evidence of rot below as the whole thing is very sturdy with no soft spots save a board or two that have rot spots.
No worries about moisture at all as my house was built on very sandy soil that drains instantly and the deck is on the sunny side. I would like to replace the whole deck but was hoping to just do the floor. $$ is a factor and whatever we build will surely outlast us!
Old 04-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #97
Eyeboat

We replaced our porch and used English mahogeny Azek. A&B supplied the product. I compared just about all the products out there requesting samples of just about every color from the manufacturer. I had enough that my builder now has nearly a complete set.

As posted earlier Azek is full synthetic with a slightly thicker textured cap than the rest. The Trex/composite products are indeed nearly 3 times heavier.

Very important!!!!!! If you go with Azek you need to have the cross members supports spaced closer than is code when using long lengths or you will get bowing. I have an area that wasn't despite mentioning my concerns to the builder and I do indeed have bowing. It is not bad but noticeable and annoying to me. This is not a concern for Trex, it is as rigid as cement and about as heavy.
Eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #98
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeboat View Post
We replaced our porch and used English mahogeny Azek. A&B supplied the product. I compared just about all the products out there requesting samples of just about every color from the manufacturer. I had enough that my builder now has nearly a complete set.

As posted earlier Azek is full synthetic with a slightly thicker textured cap than the rest. The Trex/composite products are indeed nearly 3 times heavier.

Very important!!!!!! If you go with Azek you need to have the cross members supports spaced closer than is code when using long lengths or you will get bowing. I have an area that wasn't despite mentioning my concerns to the builder and I do indeed have bowing. It is not bad but noticeable and annoying to me. This is not a concern for Trex, it is as rigid as cement and about as heavy.
Weight might be a factor if that different. What is the weight percentage difference between PT, composite, synthetic?

Old 04-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #99
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If you have a lot of shade you will get mold no matter what product you use. The only solution is to cut down trees.
Ours was in full sun and it molded. It just does.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #100
tis

Quote:

It was quite a while ago. Today it is encapsulated on the face to help prevent the mold but that only would help on the face. In the long run, spend a little more and you will be happy. I wish I knew then what I know now. Of course back when Azek wasn't around.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (04-12-2020)