Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2017, 02:06 AM   #1
Alaskan

Default Sow and 2 cubs

The video isn't loading but I have notified the webmaster. I'll load it asap.

This is in the Copp's Pond area by 20 mile bay. I'm gauging her size to be about 180 to 220 pounds, about 32 inches at the shoulder and probably younger than 5 years old. I love bears and grew up with them, but I have small kids and I began using deterrents to have her move a little further towards the pond or across the road away from the house. If you're walking around in this area, just be aware and make some noise to let her know you're around.
The tree she climbed that her snout was hidden on cam (the bottom of the still cam is set at 6ft-2in), was where I have my still cam on. On the video that she is climbing the tree it's quick, but right before that video ends, she goes to my video cam on another tree (it's only about 4ft-6in off the ground). One of her cubs climbs the tree my still cam is on in another video and sniffs it. Bears are great, but they are only welcome if they remain fearful of man...that is behavior I have a lot of experience of over 40 years...sniffing cams like that (which I didn't bother with masking my scent) demonstrates their intelligence and curiousness, but it also shows less wariness of man...I hope they relocate themselves.

Last edited by Alaskan; 07-08-2017 at 02:14 AM. Reason: video not loading
Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Alaskan. Looking forward to the video,
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
The video isn't loading but I have notified the webmaster.
I haven't received a message from you yet but if you are having trouble attaching a video to a post I recommend that you post it to Youtube and then use their embed code (Share|Embed) in your post. The built-in video function on the forum is very basic and limited and Youtube works much better. You can set the video to Unlisted so its only use would be for your embedding.

I hope you'll try that so we can all see the video!
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
Alaskan

Default sow and cubs

Thank you for the welcome slickcraft. Webmaster, thank you for the youtube info.
Here's the links:

https://youtu.be/vQm6MseoMFU

https://youtu.be/riQiz_roMsw

https://youtu.be/GItDzyHB4cI

https://youtu.be/v4ehmTUioHM

https://youtu.be/h0opBO1y_zA

https://youtu.be/t6WESfVCrno
Old 07-09-2017, 04:51 AM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,993 Times in 910 Posts

Thanks for posting the really neat video clips. Would having a dog encourage them to move away some?
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Alaskan

Slickcraft,
We have a dog but It's not much of a deterrent because the bears are used to it..it's more of a warning that an animal is by the house. Because of the cubs, I'm using deterrents to get them to spend less time close to the house and hopefully move up closer to Copps Pond.
When I put the cams out, I was hoping to catch the bobcat I've seen in the yard, not the bears. I'll post pics if I catch any of it.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Cindido

Great video Alaskan! I love seeing the bear and hope everyone has their feeders down and garbage inside.

Thank you for helping them along
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

They are fantastic-thanks for posting. Beautiful animals.

When I lived in Lyme NH there was a very well known man named Ben Killam who was and is one of the few authorized bear rehabbers and handlers in New England. He had bears he nursed back to health (orphans for ex.). at his house.

When I heard him speak about his work when I was there it was apparent to me he was the closet thing to being a "Bear-Whisperer" I had ever seen. He could get close to them to the point where some accepted him.

I guarantee you he has answers about how to best handle your bears. Contact info is in the link for Biography.

http://benkilham.com/Benkilham.com/HOME_PAGE.html
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
Grant

I was walking my dogs along the multi-use trail that parallels Moultonborough Neck road just south of JoJo's near Camp Tecumseh this week, when I heard something "heavy" in the woods just off the path. One of the dogs was very interested. I stopped...looked...saw nothing at first. Looked closer, saw a large bear about 7-8 feet up a tree about 15 feet off the path. I thought, "Why would the bear climb a tree rather than just run away?" Then it occurred to me that it was a sow treeing cubs. Sure enough, there was a cub just above her, and a another at the base of the tree.

Took a few pictures before I realized what was going on...then decided it was time to change the direction of our walk and let her move on. But it was a very cool encounter. Didn't see them again on any of our many walks. Hope they stay off the road.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #10
Alaskan

Diver,
I'm by no means a bear whisperer, and I'll checks out that link.
Grant,
They are really cool animals, but a sow with cubs isn't to be messed with. Knock on wood, but I haven't seen them back since I began changing the surroundings where they were coming to. The doe and fawn are hanging out still though, and all 6 coons.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
Diver,
I'm by no means a bear whisperer, and I'll checks out that link.
Grant,
They are really cool animals, but a sow with cubs isn't to be messed with. Knock on wood, but I haven't seen them back since I began changing the surroundings where they were coming to. The doe and fawn are hanging out still though, and all 6 coons.
Yeah -- love running into them each year. Always a surprise encounter. I've seen a bear in a front yard coming up the hill heading north out of Wolfeboro in daylight...standing in the middle of the road at 7pm near Bald Peak...crossing 109 in front of my car near the Pine Cone...sitting in a field along Moultonborough Neck road in broad daylight, etc. But this one was special, in that I'd never seen a mom with two dinky little cubs up close like that.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:23 AM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

We have a sow and two cubs pass through our yard all the time.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote