Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default LPC LoonCam 2017

The Loon Preservation Committee (Loon Center) looncam is back and watching over two eggs. They are due to hatch next weekend. The link is at www.loon.org or directly to YouTube.

The night-time sounds from the pond are amazing. It is as if you are right there with the frogs and peepers.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

There was one on the livecam last year that, if I recall correctly, went some days overdue. Then I lost track. Did they hatch successfully last year?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
greeleyhill

Default Loons near Little Island - Paugus Bay?

Do loons usually nest in the same location year after year or do they move around? There were some in Paugus Bay last year around little island - wondering if we'll see and hear them again this year.
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

They usually nest in the same place. They have nested in the same place in Green's Basin for as long ad I can remember.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Blyblvrd

Default Momma Loon carrying her babies

Caught this at the lake yesterday. I've never seen baby loons let alone momma loon carrying two of them

https://youtu.be/VW2OzkD5LWg
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
Tedougherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyblvrd View Post
Caught this at the lake yesterday. I've never seen baby loons let alone momma loon carrying two of them

https://youtu.be/VW2OzkD5LWg

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Tedougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Those are mergansers, ducks. Loons usually only have one baby, occasionally two.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
Blyblvrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Those are mergansers, ducks. Loons usually only have one baby, occasionally two.
Someone else just told me the same. Doh. Sorry and I will stick to my day job
Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 AM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

We have 2 loon chicks where we reside. They were born on Sunday June 25th.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:33 AM   #10
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyblvrd View Post
Someone else just told me the same. Doh. Sorry and I will stick to my day job
A little story

A woman from the city was vacationing in New Hampshire with her children. They were all enjoying the beautify of the Winnipesaukee area, especially the children who were of the age for which nature seemed almost miraculous. They kept pointing at things and asking their mother about them. Their mom happily interacted with her kids. They seemed especially taken with the enormous variety of animals and pointed out all the different types they saw in the air, water, and on the land.

In one field, they saw a group of large animals and the children were immediately full of questions. To their mother’s pride they quickly identified them as cows; there were dozens of them. Mom engaged the kids with a lively discussion about cows. The kids were fascinated and especially interested in the whole concept of how cows provided their daily glasses of milk.

The woman, noting that one cow was standing all by itself near the farmhouse and also that the farm owner was outside as well and knowing of New Hampshire hospitality, decided to ask the farmer if her kids could look at his cow and if he might possibly demonstrate how a cow is milked.

She pulled over, got out with her adorable children, and approached the farmer, who indeed smiled at the children and seemed welcoming. She launched into an explanation of their visit and desire for some “hands on” nature exploration with the man’s cow.

The farmer suddenly turned serious and seemed a bit sad, because he knew he would have to disappoint the children. “Mam, I’m sorry but I can’t milk that animal for you.”, he said. The woman launched into how much the children would learn and how appreciative she would be. The farmer shook his head and said, “I’m sorry, but no.”.

The woman said, “But WHY not?”.

The farmer said, “Mam, I can’t milk that cow for you because THAT cow is a bull!”.

He left it to the woman to explain the difference to the children.

Sorry Blyblvrd, I couldn’t resist.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:49 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Don't feel bad, Bly, we all had to learn once.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
Blyblvrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
A little story

A woman from the city was vacationing in New Hampshire with her children. They were all enjoying the beautify of the Winnipesaukee area, especially the children who were of the age for which nature seemed almost miraculous. They kept pointing at things and asking their mother about them. Their mom happily interacted with her kids. They seemed especially taken with the enormous variety of animals and pointed out all the different types they saw in the air, water, and on the land.

In one field, they saw a group of large animals and the children were immediately full of questions. To their mother’s pride they quickly identified them as cows; there were dozens of them. Mom engaged the kids with a lively discussion about cows. The kids were fascinated and especially interested in the whole concept of how cows provided their daily glasses of milk.

The woman, noting that one cow was standing all by itself near the farmhouse and also that the farm owner was outside as well and knowing of New Hampshire hospitality, decided to ask the farmer if her kids could look at his cow and if he might possibly demonstrate how a cow is milked.

She pulled over, got out with her adorable children, and approached the farmer, who indeed smiled at the children and seemed welcoming. She launched into an explanation of their visit and desire for some “hands on” nature exploration with the man’s cow.

The farmer suddenly turned serious and seemed a bit sad, because he knew he would have to disappoint the children. “Mam, I’m sorry but I can’t milk that animal for you.”, he said. The woman launched into how much the children would learn and how appreciative she would be. The farmer shook his head and said, “I’m sorry, but no.”.

The woman said, “But WHY not?”.

The farmer said, “Mam, I can’t milk that cow for you because THAT cow is a bull!”.

He left it to the woman to explain the difference to the children.

Sorry Blyblvrd, I couldn’t resist.

Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 06-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
icg56

Default Real Loon and Chick

In Greene's Basin 6-30-2017, disturbed water behind them is from jet skiier who as driving too close (repeatedly!)
Attached Images

icg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by icg56 View Post
In Greene's Basin 6-30-2017, disturbed water behind them is from jet skiier who as driving too close (repeatedly!)
We have a big problem in Green's Basin with jet skis and wake-board boats. The same boat will spend 4 hours going around and around. Last year one of our chicks got separated from the family due to the huge wake of the boat when someone was wake boarding. It never found it's family again. We are sure that it not survive. Even though that there is a loon chick sign many boaters do not even think about the loons. Whenever they survive we feel it is a miracle.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
We have a big problem in Green's Basin with jet skis and wake-board boats. The same boat will spend 4 hours going around and around. Last year one of our chicks got separated from the family due to the huge wake of the boat when someone was wake boarding. It never found it's family again. We are sure that it not survive. Even though that there is a loon chick sign many boaters do not even think about the loons. Whenever they survive we feel it is a miracle.
Every issue people have with boaters on the lake comes back to respect and thoughtfulness, but the "me" culture is very much solidified, and it will take years--and the right leaders and media messages--to change that.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Every issue people have with boaters on the lake comes back to respect and thoughtfulness, but the "me" culture is very much solidified, and it will take years--and the right leaders and media messages--to change that.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Yup, but good luck with that. Unfortunately people only respond to losing privileges and hefty fines, We usually get what we deserve, or earned anyway.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote