Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
bclaker

Default Canada Geese

Maybe the federal government will be taking action to cut down the expanding flocks of Canada geese, with the increasing number of airplane collisions. Another one today.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Default ....... cheez-it, here come the geese!

Canada geese just love cheez-its, original style www.cheezit.com. While it is probably not really possible to turn a wild Canada goose into a pet type of a Canada goose .... they really do like cheez-its.

It just takes one bite by a goose to get attached to cheez-its ...... and cheez-its will floats, plus can be thrown like a Frisbee for about 30-40 feet with one hand.

Initially the goose will probably not recognize a cheez-it as something to eat....but that quickly changes once they get a taste......must be the cheezy and salty flavor.

Canada geese develop long term male-female, same two gooses, relationships that can last for years, having up to seven or eight gosling babies born in the month of May.

A Canada goose can live for twenty years.

Bald eagles are about the same weight as a goose, and will prey on Canada goose eggs, baby goslings, and injured gooses.
bclaker (12-16-2016), noreast (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
bclaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Canada geese just love cheez-its, original style www.cheezit.com. While it is probably not really possible to turn a wild Canada goose into a pet type of a Canada goose .... they really do like cheez-its.

It just takes one bite by a goose to get attached to cheez-its ...... and cheez-its will floats, plus can be thrown like a Frisbee for about 30-40 feet with one hand.

Initially the goose will probably not recognize a cheez-it as something to eat....but that quickly changes once they get a taste......must be the cheezy and salty flavor.

Canada geese develop long term male-female, same two gooses, relationships that can last for years, having up to seven or eight gosling babies born in the month of May.

A Canada goose can live for twenty years.

Bald eagles are about the same weight as a goose, and will prey on Canada goose eggs, baby goslings, and injured gooses.
Thank goodness they don't last as long as us. I was born in May and am still here after 86 years.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Kamper

The reduction programs generally take place during the molt. The geese are herded in to enclosures for culling. The last time I observed a cull, the birds were herded into a 'funnel' then a box truck and gassed with either carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide. (I heard several people give those two in answer to questions by other people).

It's probably easier on ponds than lakes but I'm sure it could be done in Winni's bays and coves if there wasn't much traffic at that time.

Remember, feeding water foul is illegal. So don't feel guilty if you haven't been leaving out tasty snacks for them.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper
Remember, feeding water foul is illegal.
Just because you say it is not legal, does not make it illegal. So, show me a New Hampshire or a federal law that applies to Lake Winnipesaukee and my feeding cheez-its to Canada geese?
Old 12-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I know Wolfeboro passed an ordinance a few years ago making it illegal to feed the ducks. So, though I am not sure, I would think they would not have had to do that if it was already illegal. ??????
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Kamper

Quote:
Just because you say it is not legal, does not make it illegal. So, show me a New Hampshire or a federal law that applies to Lake Winnipesaukee and my feeding cheez-its to Canada geese?
I think I saw it on one of your posts but I can't remember which one. You flip flop sometimes even in the same thread so I'm not always sure what your true opinion is or the extant of your knowledge. With that in mind, I have no interest in researching the matter further at this time.

I will not be offended if you choose to research the matter further and let us know what you find.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Pineedles

Frankly I think its obnoxious behavior to promote the action or participate in the feeding of geese FLL! Whether its illegal or not, it is not appreciated by your neighbors I am sure. We are all neighbors on this lake and the geese problem is serious. We should all try our best to keep this lake and its surrounding shoreline clean.

I hope you are just pulling our chains with your posted antics. If not, I would suggest to those of you that live in Meredith that you go to your town council and ask for an ordinance be enacted to prohibit feeding of geese on or near the shoreline of the town of Meredith. And ask for a stiff penalty on this action.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (12-24-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Rusty

Here ya go FLL....you can wear this cheese-its suit when you feed the geese.

https://getonfleek.com/cheez-its-tra...2UBhoCfenw_wcB
Attached Images

fatlazyless (12-24-2016), moose tracks (12-24-2016), webmaster (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Here ya go FLL....you can wear this cheese-its suit when you feed the geese.

https://getonfleek.com/cheez-its-tra...2UBhoCfenw_wcB
Love It!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

I hope Cheez-it boots come with the suit.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Default .... is just one or two gooses, I feed!

Ok, all you loonie nit-wits....... how many Canada geese are there in Lake Winnipesaukee? ..... a lot of geese? ..... and out of all these geese, how many do i feed Cheez-its? ...... I only feed Cheez-its to two individual Canada geese....and mostly, it is just one individual geese.....so that would make it one individual goose!

Starting in March 2012, and continuing now for five years in a row, the same two geese, a male-female pair have shown up to Horse Island. They fly in, in March when the lake is still icy, and leave in May with a brood of 5-7 little yellow babies, all in a line.....they paddle away....towards Sally's Gut and Weirs Beach?

The female sits on the nest, which is always in the same spot, and the male hangs out, half asleep on neighboring docks, or on a big rock, and guards the very small Horse island area from other geese, crows, and eagles. He can go from half asleep to total honking attack mode in two seconds, and mostly he drives other geese pairs away from the island.........honk-honk-honk!

How do I know it is the same geese for five years? The big male has an aluminum tag on its left leg with a six digit number stamped.....starting with a number 3. It comes by my dock looking for more Cheez-its, or waddles up the six foot high rocky embankment, and patiently waits at the top of the staircase while keeping an eye, and ear, on his mate that is sitting on the big nest full of eggs back on Horse island.....maybe 150-yards away. Sometimes, some sound like another goose will catch its attention and it goes from half asleep to a honking, attack fighter jet, fast flying goose, and it takes off in a mad honking flurry of energy and aggression....... after all, the best defense is a good offense ....whether it's invading outside geese looking for an island home, or a lone eagle looking for goose eggs. Horse Island is their island, and he will not be sharing his island......until they leave it with the newly hatched yellow baby geese.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-24-2016 at 01:09 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
Kamper

We seem to be getting off track and I apologize to the OP and membership for my part in that.

I believe the OP is more interested in reducing the goose population. Geese and ducks can both make a mess and ducks spread "Duck Itch" parasites. They both eat the same foods so feeding one species will attract the other.

Littering the lake and shore for some personal gratification or amusement is perhaps not in the best interests of the waterfowl and human communities of the lake. Acclimating animals of any kind, to humans as a food source usually ends badly for the critters. They lose their fears which exposes them to accidents, malnutrition and become too stupid to avoid hunters.

For additional practical suggestions, check the websites of F&G and your local animal control department or even the health department if your community has one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (01-01-2017), Pineedles (12-27-2016), Top-Water (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
Top-Water

Quote:
Ok, all you loonie nit-wits.......
Thank you for reminding us that somehow you are above every one else and can do what ever you want regardless of any rules, regulations, laws ect.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (01-01-2017), Pineedles (12-27-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #15
fatlazyless

Before anyone purchases one of those Cheez-it stylized jogging suit outfits pictured above, the seller GetOnFleek from Florida certainly has its share of bad reviews about taking forever to deliver.....so's maybe you want to hold off on the Cheez-it suit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/Canada_goose

On the other hand .... if a Cheez-it suit shows up at St Vincent de Paul in Laconia for $4 minus 20%, $3.20 ..... then I'll go buy it....... and post a photo of me feeding my Canada goose buddy, .... his name is Canada! ....... next March, when it returns from South Carolina or somewhere ........... hooooo-yaaaaaa ...... Cheez-it!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-25-2016 at 08:24 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote