Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
Mskelt

Default pileated woodpecker!!!

I can not believe the size of this species of woodpecker. This was my first sighting. A male about the size of a seagull was pecking away at an old birch tree so vigorously that it looked like it was snowing! Has anyone else one?
Mskelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Winnisquamer

I have one behind my house that I watch.. It's amazing to watch them up close, I would guess a few of the trees he's gotten too surely will be falling down soon however. And you're right the size of them is impressive!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
rick35

We have a couple of pileated woodpeckers in our yard in Merrimack and they are big birds. You can tell they're around from the pecking sound and from their call which kind of sounds like a monkey screeching. I haven't seen any on Bear but i've heard their call nearby.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Knock Knock

In previous years, we have had pileated woodpeckers visit a dead tree behind our cottage on East Bear Island. The old tree came down during the winter. This year, bald eagles and large crows have flown by squaking loudly as they passed overhead. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
Cindido

We have multiple pileated woodpeckers who visit our property regularly in Alton Bay. Always stop whatever I'm doing to watch them - amazing.
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

Pictures and videos in these threads:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=14982

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9908

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=19115
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #7
rgilfert

Default Hammering Away

I got this shot a couple of days ago through our bedroom window ....
Attached Images

rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-30-2016), secondcurve (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
DRH

Pileated woodpeckers are certainly impressive looking birds, but it's never a good thing to see them pecking away on a tree in your yard. They are after insects, and they have the ability to smell or hear insects deep within the tree.

Pileated woodpeckers are relatively common in this area, and over the years we have seen a number of them in our neighborhood. Unfortunately, as Mskelt and Winnisquamer suggested, pileated woodpeckers often inflict significant damage to trees and can leave large holes in the trees they find insects in.

In our yard, several living white birches that were "attacked" by pileated woodpeckers were damaged to such a degree that they had to be taken down. In other spots in our neighborhood a number of white pines are full of large pileated woodpecker holes and have died, but are still standing. In past years, a couple white pines that were badly damaged by pileated woodpeckers were taken down by NHEC for fear they would fall on the power lines along the road.

So, while they are magnificent to see and watch, it's usually not good when they come to your yard for lunch.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Pileated woodpeckers are certainly impressive looking birds, but it's never a good thing to see them pecking away on a tree in your yard. They are after insects, and they have the ability to smell or hear insects deep within the tree.

Pileated woodpeckers are relatively common in this area, and over the years we have seen a number of them in our neighborhood. Unfortunately, as Mskelt and Winnisquamer suggested, pileated woodpeckers often inflict significant damage to trees and can leave large holes in the trees they find insects in.

In our yard, several living white birches that were "attacked" by pileated woodpeckers were damaged to such a degree that they had to be taken down. In other spots in our neighborhood a number of white pines are full of large pileated woodpecker holes and have died, but are still standing. In past years, a couple white pines that were badly damaged by pileated woodpeckers were taken down by NHEC for fear they would fall on the power lines along the road.

So, while they are magnificent to see and watch, it's usually not good when they come to your yard for lunch.

Firewood!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Firewood!
Yep, that's true!