Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
moxiecola

Default Moultonborough smallies

I am headed up to stay on Long Island in Moultonborough for a week starting this Saturday (7/10).
Can anyone give me an idea of good areas to fish for bass around there, what types of bait they are hitting and fish depths this time of year?
I had tried to contact a couple of guides over the past month but could not get any to return my phone call.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
moxiecola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #2
zaney

Default smallies...

Smallmouths have finished spawning, you may find a few that are still on beds up shallow, but not many. All around long island is good smallie fishing. I would start by throwing topwater lures(Pop-R's, Zara Spooks, tiny torpedos are my favorites) in the early morning around shallow shoals that are close to deep water. When they stop biting on the surface, you should concentrate your efforts in water between 15 and 30 feet deep. I like to throw carolina rigged plastic baits(lizards, worms, etc.) or tube jigs with a 1/4 oz weight. Natural colors(browns, greens, or black) work best in Winni's clear water. The key is to fish deep water in the summer, most of the smallmouths in the shallows at this time of the year are small. Are you fishing from a boat? Does it have a fishfinder? If so, try to locate weeds in the 15-30ft depth range. Find the deep weeds and you'll find the smallies. Also, you can try around the long Island bridge if you don't have access to a boat. I've caught lots of good fish around that bridge, and you may even hook into an occasional largemouth. This spot is better fished early or late in the day, when there's less boat traffic. Hope this helps. Good luck and please catch and release!!!

Last edited by zaney; 07-09-2004 at 12:36 PM.
zaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
moxiecola

Default smallies

Yes, we do have a bass boat with a fish-finder and always practice catch and release...
I hope to have to worry about releasing a lot of fish because that would mean we caught a lot!

I appreciate the recommendations.
moxiecola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
csuhockey3

Hi Moxie

Have a look at best smallie lures A bunch of us put up some great tips and favorite lures -- there is a wealth of information in that thread that I am sure will help you out. Good luck!