Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
SOB

Default Just bought a new boat..

Hey everybody,
Well I just bought a brand new Bennington 2075 GL Pontoon. I am trying to think of everything I need to do before I hit the water, and I know this would be the place to figure it out.

I was trying to find what I am required to have on the boat? Lifejackets, etc, cant find a list on the forum, yet..

Otherwise, I am all set on insurance, I already have my Safe Boating Certificate/license, registration is done. If you think of something I need shout it out!

Thanks
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
SXVIPER

Default Just bought a new boat..

SOB I tried to reply to camp Iriquois but you didn't respond I also camped there with Grandparents from Lincoln/centralf falls are you Shawn Obrien
? I hung out with your cousin Kevin I now have a place in Alton pm me if this is you

Last edited by SXVIPER; 05-13-2008 at 06:49 AM. Reason: misspell
SXVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Orion

Default needs and wants

Nice choice..Bennington makes a quality pontoon

Here's some more must haves:

Chart!
anchor & anchor line (100ft)
paddle
dock lines
fenders
boat hook
first aid kit

Nice to haves:

some cheap rain ponchos for those surprise showers
GPS
sun block
paper towels (for those spills)
porta potti (if you have the pop-up changing room)
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
AC2717

Default Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
Hey everybody,
Well I just bought a brand new Bennington 2075 GL Pontoon. I am trying to think of everything I need to do before I hit the water, and I know this would be the place to figure it out.

I was trying to find what I am required to have on the boat? Lifejackets, etc, cant find a list on the forum, yet..

Otherwise, I am all set on insurance, I already have my Safe Boating Certificate/license, registration is done. If you think of something I need shout it out!

Thanks

Hi SOB,
I see you are from Pawtucket, RI, I am as well, I live in the Darlington Section between Slater Park and McCoy. Lets commute to the lake

Make sure you have a boat hook,
one or two throw pads,
life jackets for all those traveling on your boat at all times, good Idea to have a couple extra in case of odd sized people and to use as floation devices as well.
First aid kit,
good lines,
a bow anchor and a anchor for the stern for the sand bars so you are not swinging into people.
a radio and a cell phone that has see tow, BoatUS and Marine Patrol programmed into the phone
Fire Ext
Bizer Chart/map
and most of all buy your own gas station
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Dave R

Orion's list is a good start.

Here's the NH boating guide. It'll tell you what you legally have to carry: http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/

Second anchor is a must if sand bars are in your future. I like the 2.2 kg Bruce-style claw as a second anchor. It's compact and holds very well. Put some chain on both of your anchor rodes too. Fortress makes a great primary anchor.

We carry a throw sack/rope. It's small and makes it easy to toss someone a line.

Some 30' dock lines can come in handy as spring lines.

Scrub brush is handy
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Seeker

Hi SOB,
I have a 2003 Bennington 2075FS which has the 2 fishing chairs in the bow. I only have a 50HP Merc 4 stroke on it which maxes out about 20 mph. I keep this on a small local lake and my deep V center console on Winnie.
You will get wet on a choppy day but this is a well made toon. I have only had 2 minor issues with mine. 1. The original sender in the gas tank was the wrong size and read empty from 2/3 tank on down. Easily replaced free by tank manufacturer. 2. My depth finder was mounted in the dash and was impossible to read in the daylight. I just filled the hole and mounted it ON the dash.
This is my 6th year with it and it still looks and performs as new.
Good luck with yours.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
SOB

Default thanks

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. Seeker, glad to hear you are enjoying yours, speed wasnt a concern for me, looking forward to a cruise out to the middle of the lake and just shutting her off to relax. First voyage is May 21st!
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Dave M

Default Another

You might want a self contained battery pack.

Speaking from experience,went to Wolfeboro one Sunday afternoon and my boat was dead when I got back. My grandson had decided to play with the switches and have lights,etc on. Lesson learned, be last one out of the boat. Went to the gas station on top of the hill and he gave me this battery pack, saved a lot of headaches. Turns out battery was on its way out. Went out and bought one(All-Pro), also has a light. Have helped out other folks and also comes in handy for other things. Can run low electric items with an adapter.

Enjoy your new boat.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote