Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
donnamatrix

Default Fishing Derby Postponed One Week

The decision was made tonight (2/1/06) between the Meredith Rotary and the folks from NH Fish and Game to postpone the Fishing Derby for one week due to unstable ice conditions throughout the Lakes Region.

So, the 2006 Derby will move from February 11-12 to February 18-19.

Say a prayer for a nice cold snap!!!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
Paugus Bay Resident

Based on what I've seen, they made the only decision they could.

I drove through Meredith this evening, and only saw one bob house about 15' from shore (near the boat ramp).
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
donnamatrix

Default Not safe

Absolutely true. The most important element is ensuring people are safe. Many parts of Winni have good ice right now, but Meredith Bay is a little sketchy. The water level is so high and the water flow so strong (according to Fish&Game) it is impacting the strength of the ice in certain spots on Winni and the other lakes as well.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Fishback McMitchell

Default Good Decision

They made a good choice. We were on Meredith Bay last weekend. We put our house out. You all may have seen it on the news and in the paper. We plugged a bunch of holes. Its sketchy around the shore but as you go further into the bay it actually gets thicker. We're sitting on 6'' of solid (not layered) of ice. We plan on going out a bit farther Saturday. We hope....
For the people who use their head and thier experience, the ice is manageable. But unfortunately you have 3 nitwits in 3 days trying to push it. Im glad that they got bit! You wanna play with fire......ect. A good majority of the ice is not safe, but I'd bet that Rotary officials didnt want the potential liability of people not using their heads and getting in trouble!
We've been fishing in Meredith and in New Hampton for 2 months now!! Since mid December to be exact. There is safe ice out there! But you have to use your common sense. And apparenlty that is a bit difficult for some people. NOT SUPRISING. It'll be this way as long as there are snowmobiles/ATV's on the ice. Some years are worse than others. My pitty for certain snowmobiler's has expired since they decided last year to tow someone and do slalom through my array of traps OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!!. I dont hate snowmobilers. I just hate those snowmobilers!!
Fishback McMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Mink Islander

Default Bad outlook

Given today's weather, and the less than arctic outlook over the next 10 days, it will take a miracle for there to be enough safe ice on Winnipesaukee by the 18th. I wonder about the physics of it all too. These warm days weaken the ice and even black ice loses strength in warmer weather. The nights simply haven't been cold enough to offset the warm days. We haven't seen this weather pattern since when, 2000?

That bob house in Meredith may well be doing just that shortly. Time will tell. Be careful please!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
secondcurve

Mink Islander:

When was your last visit to the island? Have you ever had a year where you couldn't get there all winter due to a lack of ice?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
Mink Islander

Default Yep

I think it was 2000? Ice out was April 10 that year. We had hefty 2-up Arctic Cat Pantera's back then and with 5 year old twins in tow you didn't take many risks. Simply not worth the risks. I think that was the last time the Derby was moved a week. This year is worse than 2000 temperature wise -- or so it seems.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
Mink Islander

Default Are the Derby Officials and F&G Meeting again re the Derby?

Just wondering when/whether the Meredith Rotary and the NH F&G folks are planning to get together to confirm the Fishing Derby is on for the 18th/19th. From the scenes on the Ice-in cams, looks like the current cold snap is rebuilding the ice pack. Maybe the ice gods are finally relenting?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Long range forecast for Alton Bay Per Weather.com

Through next Saturday:

Lows through Tues Morn: low to mid teens, Tue 19.

Highs thru Tues: Low to mid 20's.

there's the good news

Wed thru Sat lows mid to upper 20's except Sat 12 (?)
Wed thru Sat highs low to upper 30's.

Precip:Flurries this Sat, light snow wind on Sun. then scattered showers next Fri, Showers on Saturday.

Wish I had better news.

Between the questionable ice conditions and unsettled and unseasonably warm weather, coupled with tough walking on glare ice, Alton Parks & Rec cancelled the winter fest scheduled for the 19th. With the people it generates plus added fishing crowds, we felt it best to cancel. Hope things work out for the fishing crowd, and that all have good luck, good fun, and are safe.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
Skip

Default Channel 9 reports.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander
Just wondering when/whether the Meredith Rotary and the NH F&G folks are planning to get together to confirm the Fishing Derby is on for the 18th/19th. From the scenes on the Ice-in cams, looks like the current cold snap is rebuilding the ice pack. Maybe the ice gods are finally relenting?
Channel 9 just reported on their 6 PM newscast that the ice is getting thicker and that given the cold weather forecast that the Derby is still on as planned for next weekend.....and if we get that N'oreaster Saturday/Sunday it might start looking like winter around here again!

I have my fingers crossed!!!!

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
massfisher

Default We are coming

Derby crew has decided to travel to The Big Winnnie. Derby or not the boys will be there.
massfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #12
Mink Islander

Default Gentlemen, Start your ice augers.....

Big pick up in activity in Meredith Bay today. A few more bob houses. Many groups on foot well out into the bay. See my other post under Feb05 (sic) Ice Conditions. Heading up Thursday A.M. for the hike out to Mink and a few days of peace and quiet and Ice Fishing! Guess I won't see to many trucks and cars this year....
Old 02-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #13
Skip

Default Derby a go this weekend....

On their morning report, Channel 9 (WMUR-TV Manchester) is reporting that the Derby is an official go for this weekend!

Good luck to all you fishermen out there.....and be safe!

Skip
Old 02-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #14
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called the Rotary Club office this morning and yes it's a go for this weekend!

Winnocturn
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Ice Safety

Advice from New Hampshire Fish and Game Department:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...rby_021506.htm
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #16
Skip

Default Excellent link RG....

Given the next two days wx forecast (with today's spring like temps) I know I am hoping this weekend's fishing crew (and spectators) pays close attention to the advice in RG's link.

The ice is already the weirdest I can remember it, not just on Winni but over on Ossipee and a lot of other spots in the region. Its supposed to be warm again tomorrow and part of Friday with a severe cold front (and high winds) preceded by a period of rain.

Not much else the Fish & Game guys can do now, though....if they were given any more press, I think the media would start charging them advertising rates! Channel 9 just ran the thin ice warnings once again, I almost have their spiel memorized !!!

I won't be fishing this weekend, but I will be glued to my radios.....hopefully I'll have a dull weekend of listening!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #17
RGA645

Skip that's a good idea- it's better for a guy your size to STAY OFF THE THIN ICE.
RGA645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #18
Skip

Default Pot calling the kettle black....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGA645
Skip that's a good idea- it's better for a guy your size to STAY OFF THE THIN ICE.
Ha ha hee hee......but speaking of eating;

Aren't you on the wrong thread Andy.....don't you have a restaurant you need to plug????? Perhaps you can give us an update on the Back Bay ice conditions while you're at it....
Old 02-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #19
GWC...

4.07 pound rainbow

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...e-31438c2fe620
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote