Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Lakeport Landing's tower of power!

Ok .... so yesterday, the Meredith Library was closed due to a broken water pipe or something, so I headed to the Laconia Library, down Union Ave, and saw for my first time, the newly constructed Lakeport Landing building, constructed with the old, fire station garage doors integrated or something, within the design.

Like, what the heck is that huge tower ..... is that a boat storage .... forklift accessed ..... boat tower .... or what?

I don't know ..... seems a wee bit wacky ..... maybe a whole lot of wacky .... that tower of power .... or whatever it is?

Assuming it's a big, tall, very high boat storage rack, accessed by a huge forklift ...... in that location where the former fire station was .... it is extremely visible, dominates the area, is unsightly, is ugly, sticks out like a huge boat storage rack ..... and will be there for many years ..... my, my, my ..... talk about an extremely ugly addition to the Lakeport area in Laconia ..... is not a very nice, new addition to the city!

So, was this design approved by the same zoning board that voted no to the girl's summer camp on Big Island in Paugus Bay? Apparently, Laconia is all about motor boats, and they get the big green light to power up-up-up-upward? ...

History of Laconia in brief:

1966-67-68-69-70; urban re-development done wrong does Laconia downtown very wrong ... never to recover ...

2018; ditto this sentiment for the new Lakeport Landing boat storage rack built above the former fire station .... a major blunder apparently approved by the zoning board.

Great, big, boat storage racks like that are usually located away from the central commercial area, off the beaten track, in a back lot, down a dead end road, where people do not go, too much ..... but nooooo ..... here it is ..... right in the middle of Lakeport ..... very close to where the Lakeport Landing railroad station formerly was located. Such a super-duper location for a very tall, boat storage rack!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-27-2018 at 04:30 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Red apple (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
WeirsBeachBoater

Default FLL you're gonna love this....

I believe that TOWER, was required by the City in the plan to mimic the Old Fire House Drying tower that was part of the Lakeport Firehouse, they said it to be Historic and part of the landscape and should be preserved!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
stingray (12-31-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Reilly

Default Lakeport

Offices & elevator, actually will b nice when done
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Totally disagree with FLL's post. Lakeport Landing should be applauded for making a major investment there. Lakeport square, with the exception of O's and Fratellos is mostly empty and dilapidated buildings. The fire station itself was not attractive or had any historic value.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (11-06-2018), Cobalt 25 (10-30-2018), greeleyhill (01-01-2019), HAMPTONS (10-29-2018), Patofnaud (10-28-2018), pjard (10-28-2018), pm203 (10-28-2018), ronc4424 (11-12-2018), stingray (12-31-2018), TiltonBB (10-29-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

It would be nice to wait until the building is done to broadcast a negative opinion or be critical. I would assume that a retail business would want an attractive building that would entice customers to enter.

Samiam is right. The fire station was an old run down eyesore. It is a waste of time and money to even try to incorporate the old building into the new one. It should have been torn down to make way for the new building.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (10-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Arrow ..... floor #3, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
Offices & elevator, actually will b nice when done
...do you mean a regular people elevator, or a freight elevator designed for moving big boats up and down, within the building ..... I don't know .... maybe it will have a boat elevator, and then it really will be a 'Tower of Power' .....power em up ....power em down ...... can go boating on the big elevator ... without getting wet, or needing gasoline ..... ho-ho-ho???

..... seems maybe a wee bit wacky, but who knows, is a boat elevator maybe possible ...... is a large, tall, structure?
Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Passed by yesterday. It is coming along. The building is large but the rendering with all the glass looks great and will be a nice addition as opposed to an abandoned building.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (11-09-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
JPC

Default What is it gonna be?

OK, so it has the Fire House doors and a Tower. But what is the finished product going to be?
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
OK, so it has the Fire House doors and a Tower. But what is the finished product going to be?
It will be Lakeport Landings new office and boat showroom
Old 10-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
AC2717

so why hasn't anyone posted photos, I have been dying to see it, but been gone since labor day haven't had a chance
Old 10-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #11
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
so why hasn't anyone posted photos, I have been dying to see it, but been gone since labor day haven't had a chance
Sorry was in a rush yesterday morning, I should have. It is basically a metal frame around the front and rear of the building with and additional floor so it is quite high. The metal frame with be the supports for the glass panels in the showroom
Old 10-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
HellRaZoR004

HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #13
jetskier

Post Probably look a lot better when finished

Right now the structure does not blend well and sticks out relative to the surroundings. I am guessing that it will fit in much better when finished...clearly look a lot more aesthetic. Anything that improves business and the physical infrastructure in the area is a good thing. We need more investment of this type.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
Red apple (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Here's an article from last year about the building:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...07ed8bb9e.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
AC2717

looking good! can't wait to see the finished product
Old 10-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Right now the structure does not blend well and sticks out relative to the surroundings. I am guessing that it will fit in much better when finished...clearly look a lot more aesthetic. Anything that improves business and the physical infrastructure in the area is a good thing. We need more investment of this type.

Jetskier
It's not like that corner really has an architectural aesthetic. The only thing that would truly "blend" would be a building in need of serious repair and update. Kind of what was there before.

Hopefully this encourages more rejuvenation in the area.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #17
LongBay

Default Bait & Switch

The original building plan looks entirely different than the final product. A typical move by a business owner who knows their actual plan will never get approved if they present it to town officials and neighbors when they are trying to get the green light on a project. What a shame the town planners approved the modified plan, they should have made Lakeport stick to the original rendition presented to the community.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:56 PM   #18
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBay View Post
The original building plan looks entirely different than the final product. A typical move by a business owner who knows their actual plan will never get approved if they present it to town officials and neighbors when they are trying to get the green light on a project. What a shame the town planners approved the modified plan, they should have made Lakeport stick to the original rendition presented to the community.

That is not true at all. It looks exactly like the rendering. If the building was not being constructed according to the plans submitted the city would issue a stop work order. If you have built in the city of Laconia like I have you would agree with me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Reilly (11-10-2018), Rusty (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #19
jetskier

Default Kinda

From the original concept drawing, the front looks the same....the large structure in the back does not appear.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
LongBay (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #20
LongBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
That is not true at all. It looks exactly like the rendering. If the building was not being constructed according to the plans submitted the city would issue a stop work order. If you have built in the city of Laconia like I have you would agree with me.

I have also built in the city and they too matched the plans. As you can see from the picture shown above, the showroom ceiling is one story and there are only two floors not four. So someone decided to change the plans along the way and then someone decided to approve the modified plans and then someone decided not to submit the modified plans to someone who would let the community know there is a change in plan. Odd that there was no story run in any of the newspapers showing the modified plans hence why there are a lot of folks saying WTF.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 PM   #21
Rusty

Quote:
I have also built in the city and they too matched the plans. As you can see from the picture shown above, the showroom ceiling is one story and there are only two floors not four. So someone decided to change the plans along the way and then someone decided to approve the modified plans and then someone decided not to submit the modified plans to someone who would let the community know there is a change in plan. Odd that there was no story run in any of the newspapers showing the modified plans hence why there are a lot of folks saying WTF.
Here is what was finally approved and is being built as approved:
https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...bcb5dae35.html
Attached Images

HAMPTONS (11-03-2018), LongBay (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #22
joey2665

Quote:
I am sorry but that was the initial rendering, however not what had been submitted for final approval and the permit issued. As you can see from the above picture posted by Rusty (Thanks Rusty) over the process the design has changed.
Rusty (10-31-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #23
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
The original was not a plan- it was the rendering of a conceptual design. That conceptual design went through numerous changes until 100% CDs or construction documents were completed. The 100% CDs were then submitted to the city as a permit set.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Default ... letter to LaDaSun, Nov 6 2018: Laconia Heritage Commission

Quote:
New marina building blocks traditional Lakeport views

To the Daily Sun,

Numerous people have come to us to express their shock and dismay at the structure being constructed at Lakeport Landing around the old Lakeport fire station. They complain that it destroys the character of the area, blocks the view of the Lakeport Baptist Church as one travels north on Union Avenue and the view of Opechee as one travels south.

As members of the Heritage Commission, we have no authority to effect policy or oppose planning decisions. It is our mission to advise, to preserve the fabric and character of neighborhoods and structures that the people of Laconia cherish.

The minutes of the Planning Board and the City Council document the chronology of events and decisions that led to this point. In October of 2017 a preliminary design, printed in the Laconia Daily Sun and described as a "one - story structure," was approved by the Planning Board but dependent on the resolution of certain contentious issues between Ms Erica Blizzard, owner of Lakeport Landing and the city of Laconia. In October 2018 a second design, described by the Sun as a "two-story structure," was approved by the City Council. At neither meeting did any member of the public express disapproval or opposition. So why are we surprised by the result?

Rick Green, reporter for the Daily Sun said he believed that what is being built was the design submitted, but he also admitted that it was difficult to read the scale in the drawing. This is the crux of the problem. One has to look closely to see any reference to scale - there are no human figures or cars in the scene - but if one studies the details, one can see that each story is actually two stories high, resulting in a four - story building. The white rear upper part is pierced by windows that echo those of the Opera House across the street - a deliberate architectual quotation. This is a charming evocation of the history of Lakeport, but it is optically deceptive. It enhances the impression that this is a two-story building the size of a house.

What can we learn from this? That we who care about the character and history of this city need to be more vigilant - and intelligently, informed so - to preserve the heritage we value.

Laconia Heritage Commission

Jane Whitehead, Mary Ellen Boudman, Dorothy Duffy, Mary Jane Hoey, Catherine Tokarz, Michael Sweet
Old 11-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #25
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

To the Daily Sun,

Numerous people have come to us to express their shock and dismay at the structure being constructed at Lakeport Landing around the old Lakeport fire station. They complain that it destroys the character of the area, blocks the view of the Lakeport Baptist Church as one travels north on Union Avenue and the view of Opechee as one travels south.

As members of the Heritage Commission, we have no authority to effect policy or oppose planning decisions. It is our mission to advise, to preserve the fabric and character of neighborhoods and structures that the people of Laconia cherish.

The minutes of the Planning Board and the City Council document the chronology of events and decisions that led to this point. In October of 2017 a preliminary design, printed in the Laconia Daily Sun and described as a "one - story structure," was approved by the Planning Board but dependent on the resolution of certain contentious issues between Ms Erica Blizzard, owner of Lakeport Landing and the city of Laconia. In October 2018 a second design, described by the Sun as a "two-story structure," was approved by the City Council. At neither meeting did any member of the public express disapproval or opposition. So why are we surprised by the result?

Rick Green, reporter for the Daily Sun said he believed that what is being built was the design submitted, but he also admitted that it was difficult to read the scale in the drawing. This is the crux of the problem. One has to look closely to see any reference to scale - there are no human figures or cars in the scene - but if one studies the details, one can see that each story is actually two stories high, resulting in a four - story building. The white rear upper part is pierced by windows that echo those of the Opera House across the street - a deliberate architectual quotation. This is a charming evocation of the history of Lakeport, but it is optically deceptive. It enhances the impression that this is a two-story building the size of a house.

What can we learn from this? That we who care about the character and history of this city need to be more vigilant - and intelligently, informed so - to preserve the heritage we value.

Jane Whitehead, Mary Ellen Boudman, Dorothy Duffy, Mary Jane Hoey, Catherine Tokarz, Michael Sweet
give me a break with this BS nonsense that this "Commission" is spewing
Honestly
brk-lnt (11-13-2018), Major (11-09-2018), Reilly (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #26
fatnoah

Take a look at Google Street view of the area. The church is barely visible through the trees. From what I remember of growing up in the area, the church is visible from the portion of Union Ave north of the Elm St. intersection, and this is not blocked by the new building.
fatnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
AC2717

agreed, also years ago you could get all the way down to the lake front with no obstructed views anywhere
gravy boat (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #28
WinnisquamZ

Default Lakeport Landing's tower of power!

The commission has no issue with the section 8 housing and abandoned storefronts on the right or the multi family crack houses on the left, just the local businesses owner who is investing close to two million dollars

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (11-13-2018), gravy boat (11-09-2018), greeleyhill (01-01-2019), Reilly (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #29
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

To the Daily Sun,

What a bunch of nonsense. All this says it that the plans were submitted and approved however we do not like the plans and the reporter Rick Green did not read the scale on the second set of drawings properly (what the reporter has to do with the commission I have no idea).
billy (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #30
Patofnaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
The commission has no issue with the section 8 housing and abandoned storefronts on the right or the multifamily crack houses on the left, just the local businesses owner who is investing close to two million dollars

Honestly, in a 2 block radius of that building the only decent businesses are 'The O/Inn at O", Fratello's, The marinas and Avery's. Everything is dead/dying/cashforgold/pawn or closed versions of the aforementioned pawn/cashforgold...

Yet folks get up in arms at the only place doing development that is not just another 'You store your crap in cheap steel building' business. *boggle* And we wonder why no one wants to develop in the area.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patofnaud For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (11-09-2018), Reilly (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #31
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
Honestly, in a 2 block radius of that building the only decent businesses are 'The O/Inn at O", Fratello's, The marinas and Avery's. Everything is dead/dying/cashforgold/pawn or closed versions of the aforementioned pawn/cashforgold...

Yet folks get up in arms at the only place doing development that is not just another 'You store your crap in cheap steel building' business. *boggle* And we wonder why no one wants to develop in the area.
Probably opening pandora's box but could it be that some people immediately dismiss anything that Erica Blizzard is associated with even if it is good for the city?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (01-02-2019), brk-lnt (11-13-2018), gravy boat (11-09-2018), pondguy (11-09-2018), Reilly (11-10-2018), Top-Water (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #32
TiltonBB

Default New building moving along

The construction on the new Lakeport Landing building is moving along and it looks good. A great addition to the neighborhood.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Descant (12-30-2018), Top-Water (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #33
Red apple

It looks Great saw it today.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 PM   #34
fatlazyless

Looking at it, it reminds me of the old joke about the rich Texan who stopped into a Cadillac dealer just to use their pay phone who ended up buying a new Cadillac while he was there, just because he hates to go into a business and walk out without buying anything.

Like, as long as I'm here, why don't I buy a new Chris Craft for $125,000!

Actually, it does look pretty good, and this whole saga involving Lakeport Landing and Irwin Marine getting new buildings will probably be very positive for both businesses, plus the city gets a new commercial building with a high assessment to tax, year after year after year, so it's a winner all around.

People buy with their eyes, so's a building that looks good from the street is good for selling boats.
WinnisquamZ (12-30-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 06:42 AM   #35
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The construction on the new Lakeport Landing building is moving along and it looks good. A great addition to the neighborhood.

Great addition and gulp, I can’t believe I agree with FLL. The building should have a good assessment value to bring in a nice tax dollar into the city plus it will be nice to see the Irwin and Lakeport feud end which should help both businesses.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #36
SAMIAM

Finally something new in Lakeport square......O's Frattello's and now Lakeport Landing are adding some class to a pretty depressed looking area.
Thought it was pretty selfish of Irwins to squeeze a much smaller business the way they did.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (01-02-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #37
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Squeeze?

Irwin made a fair bid to buy the other building; Lakeport Landing's bid was way low. That's not a squeeze. When LL needed to stay in the old building while construction continued there was some agreement made and they stayed. I don't recall all the details, but that doesn't sound like squeezing to me.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #38
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Irwin made a fair bid to buy the other building; Lakeport Landing's bid was way low. That's not a squeeze. When LL needed to stay in the old building while construction continued there was some agreement made and they stayed. I don't recall all the details, but that doesn't sound like squeezing to me.
I have dealt with and like both establishments. Irwin made a fair bid and squeezed out a smaller competitor. Fortunately for LL, the city, its residents and the consumer LL was able to secure and improve a piece of idle property next door. At the end of the day everyone wins!!!!!
Old 12-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #39
TiltonBB

I would have been happy to see the old fire station bulldozed. Saving that old building inside the new building accomplishes nothing and just complicates and adds expense to the process of constructing the new building. For what?
Old 12-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #40
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
I would have been happy to see the old fire station bulldozed. Saving that old building inside the new building accomplishes nothing and just complicates and adds expense to the process of constructing the new building. For what?

Could not agree more

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #41
joey2665

Quote:
Disagree. It does not necessarily increase costs to keep the old structure. I am sure the way it has been incorporated into the new structure they ended up saving money along the way
Old 12-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #42
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Disagree. It does not necessarily increase costs to keep the old structure. I am sure the way it has been incorporated into the new structure they ended up saving money along the way
By the time you get through working around the existing building the old building offered several challenges that a clean slate (empty lot) would not have.

The architect had to make plans that would incorporate the old building and change everything from the structural support to every segment of the entire layout because of that building. It is different from what a regular new construction design would have required. That additional design time costs money.

Hazardous materials would have to be removed from the old building. That would include any asbestos and any oil that may have leaked from old vehicles in the building. None of the old wiring could be used because it was out of code. The old building had to be completely rewired. The old brick had to be re-pointed and stabilized so that it did not present a hazard in the new building. Any old wood in the building had to be treated for termites and other issues and that will be an ongoing expense.

HVAC plumbing required numerous re-channeling efforts to get around the blockage cause by the old building. That eliminated the opportunity for straight runs typical of most new construction. It also required that additional utility outlets for lighting, heating, and air conditioning be installed so that it would cover and circulate throughout the structure. The old building could only be improved so much and will continue to be an additional expense for years to come.

I will take a clean slate any day. It will cost less and you can design what you want without restriction.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #43
joey2665

Quote:
By the time you get through working around the existing building the old building offered several challenges that a clean slate (empty lot) would not have.

The architect had to make plans that would incorporate the old building and change everything from the structural support to every segment of the entire layout because of that building. It is different from what a regular new construction design would have required. That additional design time costs money.

Hazardous materials would have to be removed from the old building. That would include any asbestos and any oil that may have leaked from old vehicles in the building. None of the old wiring could be used because it was out of code. The old building had to be completely rewired. The old brick had to be re-pointed and stabilized so that it did not present a hazard in the new building. Any old wood in the building had to be treated for termites and other issues and that will be an ongoing expense.

HVAC plumbing required numerous re-channeling efforts to get around the blockage cause by the old building. That eliminated the opportunity for straight runs typical of most new construction. It also required that additional utility outlets for lighting, heating, and air conditioning be installed so that it would cover and circulate throughout the structure. The old building could only be improved so much and will continue to be an additional expense for years to come.

I will take a clean slate any day. It will cost less and you can design what you want without restriction.

All good points except the hazzardous material. It would have to be removed whether the building is demolished or used as an alteration. Since they used the existing wall system and foundation I still stand by that there was probably no additional cost to use the structure. However I do understand and agree that the contractor would rather deal with a clean slate.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:16 PM   #44
fatlazyless

Maybe Lakeport Landing Marina can make a legal argument that it deserves a property tax discount based on the value/cost it incurred to cherish, protect, and preserve the three fire station garage doors, and the fire station tower within the new building as an historical link to the old Lakeport Landing Fire Station and host an annual fire station remembrance day.

So, what's an annual fire station remembrance day look like, and how come just a few 11x14" framed photos, showing the old building, and the fire personnel, along with an old fire hose nozzle and such, displayed at the new huge fire station or at the library, wasn't good enough? So basically, in 2018, the city said no to a Big Island girl's summer camp, and said yes to three, old, dark red, overhead garage doors that don't do anything, and are just there.

Oh well, old-timers can gather in the three old garage doorways and reminisce about some long ago 5-alarm fire and ring the old fire bell and hang out and chug-a-lug quarts of Schlitz Beer ..... the beer that made the Lakeport Fire Station famous ..... just remember that fire back on April 1, 1961 .... chug-a-lug .... chug-a-lug .... back when a six of Schlitz in cans went for $1.25 ..... those were the days .... chug-a-lug .....

Make it an annual event for the first Tuesday in August ....... here's to Fire Station Remembrance Day! ...

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-01-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #45
joey2665

That’s what we get when I pay FLL a compliment. No good deed goes unpunished. . Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #46
fatlazyless

Actually ...... if you think about it, the month of August is the only month without a holiday ....... so, Fire Station Remembrance Day is a very good fit to fill that national holiday gap between Independence Day, and Labor Day. Just a local Laconia holiday for August's 1st Tuesday .... nothing national.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-01-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #47
SAMIAM

I agree with TiltonBB on this one. They had to design the new building around that ugly brick structure to satisfy some people who thought it had historic significance.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #48
exlakesregioner

Nice that they could save a little bit of history within the new building, kudos to the designer. Just about anything new at the intersection is a good thing in my opinion, has been awhile since I have been thru it, but it's a pretty depressing/rundown area.
exlakesregioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #49
fatlazyless

December, 1955, when this photo was made, was about twenty years before the smoke detector with a battery was available, and it very quickly got wide spread use. Today, for just $4.25, you can get an excellent smoke detector that is about 5"-diameter w/ a 9-v battery, down at Walmart.

Fires can get going really fast, and smoke detectors work good.

When these 1955 photos were made, there were no smoke detectors, by about twenty years.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #50
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Not that it matters that much a little history from some old news paper articles from December 1955. (New Hampshire Sunday News)

Bet you didn't know about the "Marble Floors" I didn't .... Good luck .... Lake Port Landing nice to see the area getting a make over.
The church steeple in the background looks like a robot on the station roof.
Attached Images