Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2024, 02:19 PM   #1
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Looking at a house in Balmoral - are gunshot sounds the norm in that area?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and could not find any info on this already posted. Can you usually hear gunshots from Balmoral from the shooting range that is nearby? We've visited the home for sale on 7 Westborn Circle twice now; the first time is was peaceful and the second time was last weekend when it was warm and toward the end of our visit we could hear shooting from the back yard. It went on for a while. I know there is a shooting range not too far away; are the sounds of gunshots the norm throughout the day in Balmoral by Westborn Circle? I have nothing against guns; but I'm looking for a quiet area and would rather not hear gunshots constantly during the day.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 03:05 PM   #2
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 434
Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default

I am not familiar with Balmoral, but it is fairly close to the Winnipesaukee Sportsman's Club. That may be what you are hearling.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 03:19 PM   #3
TCC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 147
Thanks: 234
Thanked 71 Times in 29 Posts
Default

If you don't like traffic noise, don't buy next to a freeway. If you don't like the smell of manure, don't buy downwind from a pig farm. If you don't like the sound of gunshots . . .
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TCC For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 03:31 PM   #4
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I understand that TCC; I'm just trying to understand if what I heard was a one-off situation where someone local was enjoying a day of shooting or if I was hearing the sounds from the shooting range. It seems like it would be far enough away that I wouldn't be hearing sounds from the shooting range - but maybe not. I don't mind the occasional sound of a neighbor shooting, but hearing constant shooting from 10am to dusk (hours of the shooting range) wouldn't be ideal for what I'm looking for.
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JilianBlue For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 04:34 PM   #5
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 2,209
Thanks: 1,111
Thanked 934 Times in 576 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
I understand that TCC; I'm just trying to understand if what I heard was a one-off situation where someone local was enjoying a day of shooting or if I was hearing the sounds from the shooting range. It seems like it would be far enough away that I wouldn't be hearing sounds from the shooting range - but maybe not. I don't mind the occasional sound of a neighbor shooting, but hearing constant shooting from 10am to dusk (hours of the shooting range) wouldn't be ideal for what I'm looking for.
You gotta think that almost every activity is 10X (100X?) in the warmer months
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2024, 05:22 PM   #6
TCC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wolfeboro
Posts: 147
Thanks: 234
Thanked 71 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Visit the house you're considering any Tuesday morning shortly after 10 AM. There is a scheduled trap shoot at WSC every Tuesday, weather permitting, at that time.

Trap: 125 shots in fairly quick succession, then five or ten minutes to change squads, then another 125 shots . . .

Then you'll know.

Eta: There are also scheduled trap shoots on the second Tuesday morning of each month.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TCC For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 05:30 PM   #7
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 4,031
Thanks: 1,210
Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
You gotta think that almost every activity is 10X (100X?) in the warmer months
Lakeside seasonal camp septic systems always check out OK in the winter too. Is Balmoral on the Winnipesaukee river basin sewer system?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 05:32 PM   #8
Loub52
Senior Member
 
Loub52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Meredith, NH
Posts: 206
Thanks: 199
Thanked 49 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
I understand that TCC; I'm just trying to understand if what I heard was a one-off situation where someone local was enjoying a day of shooting or if I was hearing the sounds from the shooting range. It seems like it would be far enough away that I wouldn't be hearing sounds from the shooting range - but maybe not. I don't mind the occasional sound of a neighbor shooting, but hearing constant shooting from 10am to dusk (hours of the shooting range) wouldn't be ideal for what I'm looking for.
Golfing at Ridgewood (soon to be renamed Birch Hill CC) in Moultonborough, on the 13th, it’s very common to hear shooting every weekend.
__________________
Thanks,
Loub52
Loub52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loub52 For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 05:39 PM   #9
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 734
Thanks: 749
Thanked 299 Times in 198 Posts
Default

I occasionally visit my sister at her seasonal place in Balmoral. Usually mid-week. She is closer to the range than the home you’re looking at. I have heard the shooting at the range on a number of occasions. It was mildly annoying if we were sitting down to eat. Never heard anything that went on for an extended period of time.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillygirl For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-17-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 08:19 PM   #10
songkrai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 725
Thanks: 35
Thanked 145 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
I understand that TCC; I'm just trying to understand if what I heard was a one-off situation where someone local was enjoying a day of shooting
Don't live anywhere near any gun club. And I hear guns going off just about every week. Random days.

Welcome to Live Free or die.

The Ward Bird case became a rallying point.
LINK
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (02-17-2024), JilianBlue (02-18-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 10:59 PM   #11
geordie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 32
Thanks: 10
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Default Gunfire in NH? Who'd have thought.

Pretty much anywhere rural in NH, or even semi rural, you are likely to hear gunfire. Unlike Oakland, where I was once at a BBQ, the gunfire isn't usually aimed at people. Almost never. Safer than most of Europe. I live within a mile of UNH and I hear gunfire every weekend. I have at least one neighbor who seems to be working on his rapid fire shooting. Unless you hear bullets I wouldn't worry. If it's a whizzing sound then it's handgun, whistling is probably a rifled slug, and a hard crack is rifle fire.
geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geordie For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-18-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 07:09 AM   #12
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

She wasn't afraid of being hit... she didn't want the constant noise.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:43 AM   #13
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,749
Thanks: 1,961
Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Default

Bottom line, if you're within ear shot of a gun range and you want quiet, look elsewhere!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Electric man (02-17-2024), Susie Cougar (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 12:00 PM   #14
Hillcountry
Senior Member
 
Hillcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: In the hills
Posts: 2,346
Thanks: 1,590
Thanked 763 Times in 457 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Don't live anywhere near any gun club. And I hear guns going off just about every week. Random days.

Welcome to Live Free or die.

The Ward Bird case became a rallying point.
LINK
Yes! “live free or die” is what NH is (and should be) about.
My little town has constant gun fire (FFL dealer nearby) and neighbors exercising their right to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”
If anything is annoying it’s the occasional boom of tannerite play, especially at late night hours! 🤪
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (02-19-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 10:04 PM   #15
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
Visit the house you're considering any Tuesday morning shortly after 10 AM. There is a scheduled trap shoot at WSC every Tuesday, weather permitting, at that time.

Trap: 125 shots in fairly quick succession, then five or ten minutes to change squads, then another 125 shots . . .

Then you'll know.

Eta: There are also scheduled trap shoots on the second Tuesday morning of each month.
Thank you for this!
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:06 PM   #16
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Lakeside seasonal camp septic systems always check out OK in the winter too. Is Balmoral on the Winnipesaukee river basin sewer system?
Excellent point! This home does have its original (1986) septic system.
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:10 AM   #17
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Yes! “live free or die” is what NH is (and should be) about.
My little town has constant gun fire (FFL dealer nearby) and neighbors exercising their right to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”
If anything is annoying it’s the occasional boom of tannerite play, especially at late night hours! 🤪
No one actually believes the motto.
Even politicians that espouse it, on certain subjects run away from it.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:00 AM   #18
DEJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 539
Thanks: 514
Thanked 309 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
No one actually believes the motto.
Speak for yourself, not others.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (02-19-2024), codeman671 (02-18-2024), Descant (02-18-2024), Hillcountry (02-18-2024), ishoot308 (02-18-2024), KPW (02-24-2024), mhtranger (02-19-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 09:23 AM   #19
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Its inherent in human nature.
You would need to be not human to believe it.

For instance, during its founding... Jews and Catholics in NH could pay taxes, but not vote or hold office. Yet the slogan of the time was ''No taxation without representation''.

Then we came to ''Local Control'', that went out the window when some local subdivisions didn't follow the will of others.

With ''Live Free or Die''; it is just a matter of hitting the right refrain... maybe men that want to dress as women and use women's restrooms... and out the door goes the ''Live Free'' part.

Or the child that doesn't want to listen to their parents/guardians because they were born ''free and independent''.

When a person is challenged to ''Live Free or Die''; they also very seldom it seems choose the ''Die'' part.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:33 AM   #20
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 5,929
Thanks: 2,287
Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
When a person is challenged to ''Live Free or Die''; they also very seldom it seems choose the ''Die'' part.
You’re not a veteran are you John….didnt think so.

What a dumbass thing to say!

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (02-19-2024), camp guy (02-18-2024), codeman671 (02-18-2024), DEJ (02-18-2024), granitebox (02-18-2024), Hillcountry (02-18-2024), ITD (02-19-2024), mhtranger (02-19-2024), Outdoorsman (02-18-2024), TCC (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 09:49 AM   #21
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,749
Thanks: 1,961
Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Default

All the NH vacation commercials leave out the "or die" phrase now.
Obviously, no one chooses to die but people that protect our country face that result on a daily basis.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-18-2024), Hillcountry (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:05 AM   #22
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
You’re not a veteran are you John….didnt think so.

What a dumbass thing to say!

Dan
I haven't seen veteran's marching is support of men using women's bathrooms. Maybe you can start one?
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:16 AM   #23
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
All the NH vacation commercials leave out the "or die" phrase now.
Obviously, no one chooses to die but people that protect our country face that result on a daily basis.
Because they hope the motto will bring the tourists.
It reminds me of when the State was removing the French from some of our highway signs because our official State language is English. The fear of it hurting tourism from Quebec became an issue.

But even supporting an oath to the US Constitution has become episodic...
SCOTUS ruled against Texas, but the NG are trying to follow orders.

We will see the same thing in NH. The SWEPT has been declared by our courts to be an unconstitutional tax. We shouldn't be paying it in June... but who among us is going to risk the interest and possible loss of property?
They certainly are not going to be willing to ''die'' over the issue.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:16 AM   #24
Susie Cougar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 525
Thanks: 231
Thanked 184 Times in 132 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and could not find any info on this already posted. Can you usually hear gunshots from Balmoral from the shooting range that is nearby? We've visited the home for sale on 7 Westborn Circle twice now; the first time is was peaceful and the second time was last weekend when it was warm and toward the end of our visit we could hear shooting from the back yard. It went on for a while. I know there is a shooting range not too far away; are the sounds of gunshots the norm throughout the day in Balmoral by Westborn Circle? I have nothing against guns; but I'm looking for a quiet area and would rather not hear gunshots constantly during the day.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Since no one has said it to you yet, welcome to the forum!
I’m afraid this thread has gone off on an unbelievable tangent that has nothing to do with whether or not you can hear gun shots from your home.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:21 AM   #25
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 5,929
Thanks: 2,287
Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I haven't seen veteran's marching is support of men using women's bathrooms. Maybe you can start one?
Wow! Just wow… what a odd thing to say…

Stick to lumber John…
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
camp guy (02-18-2024), codeman671 (02-18-2024), DEJ (02-18-2024), Hillcountry (02-18-2024), mhtranger (02-19-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:53 AM   #26
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

It about someone's freedom.

They want to ''Live Free''.
Ask those doing it if it is a freedom issue? Then ask those that claim that ''Live Free'' is an absolute if they will fight for others' perception of freedom?

There are literally thousands of instances in our society that freedom has to be deterred for the benefit of society; hence NH Part First Article 3.

Even the overnight mooring was underwritten partially by the ''Live Free'' concept... that didn't require risking a life or even having to pay a tax... just a voice.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:58 AM   #27
codeman671
Senior Member
 
codeman671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,360
Thanks: 210
Thanked 764 Times in 448 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I haven't seen veteran's marching is support of men using women's bathrooms. Maybe you can start one?
Live Free or Die was coined long before gender issues came to play. If you think that’s what it’s about I think you have bumped your head on too many 2x4’s…
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
DEJ (02-18-2024), Hillcountry (02-18-2024), Outdoorsman (02-18-2024), sky's (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 11:00 AM   #28
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Since no one has said it to you yet, welcome to the forum!
I’m afraid this thread has gone off on an unbelievable tangent that has nothing to do with whether or not you can hear gun shots from your home.
They explained that she would need to be there during certain field events to determine if that was what she was hearing.

Weekends are less likely, but sometimes its just building... pneumatic framers... especially when a group is using them... can be a bit noisy.

So if it is not during an event, she may need to check around to see if a building project is going on.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
stingray (02-19-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 12:32 PM   #29
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida (Sebring & Keys), Wolfeboro
Posts: 5,788
Thanks: 2,084
Thanked 742 Times in 532 Posts
Default "On Golden Pond" Was Released in 1981...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
If you don't like traffic noise, don't buy next to a freeway. If you don't like the smell of manure, don't buy downwind from a pig farm. If you don't like the sound of gunshots . . .
Relatively peaceful Winter Harbor has a Tuftonboro gun range and one resident who blasts away with a high-powered rifle. (Wish I knew what he's using for a backstop, as the woods aren't that thick!)


Mostly in western reaches of Lake Winnipesaukee, you'll be treated to military air traffic. Personally, I find those brief intrusions reassuring--that the country is alert.

June through September, expect fireworks--mostly after dinner--but at any time after dark. Who knows what they're celebrating? Not far from the Big Lake a single piece of fireworks killed a celebrant.

Weekends, expect amplified "music" from boats. Those boaters who don't load up on loudspeakers, open their (recently-legalized) unmuffled exhausts to "treat" residents to still more noise.

As one can tell, we don't live "On Golden Pond" any longer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I am not familiar with Balmoral, but it is fairly close to the Winnipesaukee Sportsman's Club. That may be what you are hearling.
Balmoral is located in Scotland.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:07 PM   #30
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default

Just a note that there may be a significant difference between the noise in winter—with all the leaves down—and summer with lush vegetation.

I'm often surprised by how much more I hear of/from my neighbors in winter.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 02:41 PM   #31
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Live Free or Die was coined long before gender issues came to play. If you think that’s what it’s about I think you have bumped your head on too many 2x4’s…
I know the history of it. I did attend and pay attention in the second grade.

It is the concept of it. If it only meant freedoms that existed prior then it really has no role in present society.

NH Part First Article 3 speaks of surrendering some of our natural rights (freedom). So we know that living freely of our own accord is not an absolute and has not been since the founding of NH.

And it isn't just gender issues... there are literally dozens.

I could have easily picked growing marijuana in your yard or mooring your boat overnight on the lake.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:43 PM   #32
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Just a note that there may be a significant difference between the noise in winter—with all the leaves down—and summer with lush vegetation.

I'm often surprised by how much more I hear of/from my neighbors in winter.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Do they still have field events in the winter? I have only done them in the late summer and fall.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:12 PM   #33
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Do they still have field events in the winter? I have only done them in the late summer and fall.
Not sure about that club, but my club's outdoor ranges essentially hibernate in the winter (and the indoor range can barely be heard outside).

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:43 PM   #34
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Our indoor range can't be heard. I haven't even been able to hear inside from the parking lot.

Our attempt to have an outside range for skeet got derailed.
We kept changing the proposal to make others happy, but they were not willing to be happy with anything related to it.

I always found it strange that after parts of the Royal were transferred to the 4H they never had any shooting events. Even the pheasant hunting went poof after the restrictions.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:42 PM   #35
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback. I've learned a lot. We've decided not to move forward with the property and we're considering Locke Lake now as a quieter alternative.
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:35 PM   #36
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 818
Thanks: 257
Thanked 259 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback. I've learned a lot. We've decided not to move forward with the property and we're considering Locke Lake now as a quieter alternative.
You'll likely be saving yourself a lot of $$$$$$ buying @ Locke Lake.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM   #37
lakewinnie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Moultonborough and CT
Posts: 65
Thanks: 35
Thanked 57 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback. I've learned a lot. We've decided not to move forward with the property and we're considering Locke Lake now as a quieter alternative.
Was it the gun range, or a particular poster on this thread?
lakewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 07:56 AM   #38
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewinnie View Post
Was it the gun range, or a particular poster on this thread?
It’s a few different things. The noise from the gun range. The home needs a lot of work and the price is high. The septic is older and it would be hard to properly assess it in winter. We’re not power boat people; we have kayaks and stand up paddle boards and like fishing so power boats and wake boarding boats and loud music would make it tough to fish / kayak / paddle board. A quieter lake may be better for what we’re looking for. We just need to find one that is still near some other things to do. That’s what we liked about Balmoral- it was a short drive to restaurants, shops, Weirs beach & more. We visited New Found lake and it felt too remote.
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JilianBlue For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-19-2024), mhtranger (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:01 AM   #39
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
You'll likely be saving yourself a lot of $$$$$$ buying @ Locke Lake.
From what we’ve seen so far houses are about $100k less. But Moultonborough property tax was $1,100/yr on a house that was listed at $440k vs $3,700/yr on a house listed at $360k in Barnstead. So the monthly sayings gets eaten up by property tax a bit. Moultonborough’s property tax is shockingly low so we can afford more of a house there.
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:10 AM   #40
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,407
Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts
Default

Personally I think Mountonborough would be a much better investment, especially for resale. But that might just be my opinion. How about a house not so close to the gun club? Also check out how low Locke Lake goes at times.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:21 AM   #41
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
It’s a few different things. The noise from the gun range. The home needs a lot of work and the price is high. The septic is older and it would be hard to properly assess it in winter. We’re not power boat people; we have kayaks and stand up paddle boards and like fishing so power boats and wake boarding boats and loud music would make it tough to fish / kayak / paddle board. A quieter lake may be better for what we’re looking for. We just need to find one that is still near some other things to do. That’s what we liked about Balmoral- it was a short drive to restaurants, shops, Weirs beach & more. We visited New Found lake and it felt too remote.
Just a note that the Balmoral side of the lake is much quieter than most of Winni and that, other than busy weekends after 10-11 AM or so, you'd have no issues fishing, kayaking, etc.

In terms of the gun club, have you asked around? There's a ton of homes in that area with Balmoral and Suissevale, and in the ten years we've owned on Winni, I've yet to hear any complaints.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:25 AM   #42
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,749
Thanks: 1,961
Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Default

I looked a Lock Lake over 20 years ago, as an investment, prices haven't kept up with the rest of the real estate market. Try looking at a few of the smaller lakes in the Lakes region.
Some people don't look at a home as an investment but that's a big mistake, JMO.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 08:35 AM   #43
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,407
Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts
Default

Vita Bene should know. He's very familiar with that area and I think he has a house in that or Suissevale. (sp?)
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:52 AM   #44
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

We would view it as an investment and (shared) lake access on Winnipesaukee feels like a much better investment to us too. It also would be more rentable if we find we don’t use it as much as we’re planning to or if something happens that keeps us from vacationing there (illness, etc) And of course resale value would be better. We’re going to rent a home for a week this summer to see how we like the Balmoral/Suissevale area before ruling it out. I appreciate the replies; they’re very helpful.
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:38 AM   #45
Susie Cougar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 525
Thanks: 231
Thanked 184 Times in 132 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Just a note that the Balmoral side of the lake is much quieter than most of Winni and that, other than busy weekends after 10-11 AM or so, you'd have no issues fishing, kayaking, etc.

In terms of the gun club, have you asked around? There's a ton of homes in that area with Balmoral and Suissevale, and in the ten years we've owned on Winni, I've yet to hear any complaints.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I was just wondering think, if you know of anything coming available where you live? That would be a perfect spot for kayaking etc.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:42 AM   #46
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I was just wondering think, if you know of anything coming available where you live? That would be a perfect spot for kayaking etc.
These last few years, sales have never made it public.

I assumed the OP was looking for year-round/more of a house than a seasonal camp, but they're welcome to message me if interested in something like Arcadia.

There is one, maybe two, for sale internally right now.

Good looking out Susie!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:20 AM   #47
JilianBlue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 9
Thanks: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
These last few years, sales have never made it public.

I assumed the OP was looking for year-round/more of a house than a seasonal camp, but they're welcome to message me if interested in something like Arcadia.

There is one, maybe two, for sale internally right now.

Good looking out Susie!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I'd love to hear more about Arcadia - I haven't heard of it yet. Our place doesn't necessarily have to be year-round. If pricing were the same for year round vs seasonal we'd gravitate toward year-round though. Our search initially started with looking at Maine seasonal camps in lakeside communities and on lakes, but most are too far and too rural. We're south of Boston and would love to be 2.5 hours away or less. We prefer NH and I grew up going to Lake Winnipesaukee with my grandparents so I have a soft spot for the area.

Any community near Winnipesaukee with lake access would be worth considering for us. I wondered if lots of camps sell outside of a realtor - I'm glad to hear that they do because there has been very little hitting the market lately. We were hoping it was just because it is winter but sales over the past 3 years don't show tons of homes changing hands.
JilianBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:33 AM   #48
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,749
Thanks: 1,961
Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Default

You might take a look at Lake Wicwas or Pemigewasset, both are along RT104 leading to Meredith and very conveniently located off Exit 24.

Last edited by Biggd; 02-19-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:36 AM   #49
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
I'd love to hear more about Arcadia - I haven't heard of it yet. Our place doesn't necessarily have to be year-round. If pricing were the same for year round vs seasonal we'd gravitate toward year-round though. Our search initially started with looking at Maine seasonal camps in lakeside communities and on lakes, but most are too far and too rural. We're south of Boston and would love to be 2.5 hours away or less. We prefer NH and I grew up going to Lake Winnipesaukee with my grandparents so I have a soft spot for the area.

Any community near Winnipesaukee with lake access would be worth considering for us. I wondered if lots of camps sell outside of a realtor - I'm glad to hear that they do because there has been very little hitting the market lately. We were hoping it was just because it is winter but sales over the past 3 years don't show tons of homes changing hands.
I'll message you.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 02:40 PM   #50
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,407
Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts
Default

Osseo and Port Wedeln in Wolfeboro are both communities but the taxes are higher than Moultonborough. Not sure how often houses come up for sale there either. Did you look at condos?

Last edited by tis; 02-19-2024 at 03:56 PM.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 03:31 PM   #51
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 2,973
Thanks: 2
Thanked 529 Times in 435 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You might take a look at Lake Wicwas or Pemigewasset, both are along RT104 leading to Meredith and very conveniently located off Exit 24.
Really beautiful area.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-19-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 10:42 AM   #52
lagoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 84
Thanks: 35
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilianBlue View Post
Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback. I've learned a lot. We've decided not to move forward with the property and we're considering Locke Lake now as a quieter alternative.
Different parts of the lake are quiet. We have been there a long time and I have never heard shots at all where we are south west part of the water. The sewage issue is important and an updated septic is required in our area. There are still nice homes that I feel are affordable there off the water, some with lake access.
lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lagoon For This Useful Post:
JilianBlue (02-25-2024)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.35476 seconds