Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
angela4design

Default Where is the Wi-Fi?

Perhaps we've discussed this before, but with technology changing like it does, I'd like to bring it up again.

Where is the public Wi-Fi in the Lakes Region? I tried to meet with a friend last night to share something on a website, which we planned to dicuss for awhile. I know there are places like Starbucks or the library, but those are more convenient for short-term 'check my email' sessions than for conducting a discussion. I even tried a local hotel, who said we could do it there for $50. I know...

I worked it out last night, but I wonder what are the options in the LR? Should I invest in one of those Wifi-anywhere gadgets that just plug into your laptop for a monthly service fee?

Any tips would be great. Thanks!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Its in the air

If you drive around the lake, you will find many WiFi networks open for public use. This may not be the intention of the owner, but often it is. Many people don't care, as long as you aren't a bandwidth hog. While there have been some legal issues about this in other countries, including Floridia, to the best of my knowledge, there are no laws in NH about using open WiFi networks. Just don't try breaking into the owner's computers or you will be running afoul of the law. That said, it would still be nice to know of businesses that provide WiFi as a way to get customers in the door.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Whimsey

Default Public WiFi

The McDonalds on the Alton circle has wireless internet, at least based on signage. Never tried to use it.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Argie's Wife

Here's a link to a site that list hotspots:

http://www.newhampshire.com/about-nh...-hotspots.aspx

You can just Google "hotspots wi-fi NH" and see what comes up. There's several national and local databases with this information.

Don't know how technically adept you are but there's packet sniffer software you can download to find hotspots - also something you can Google. (Not sure what OS you're using - I assume Mac by your avitar - but nonetheless...)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
The McDonalds on the Alton circle has wireless internet, at least based on signage. Never tried to use it.
They do have WiFi but it's not free. I can't remember what service they use but it will cost you something like $6.95/day. In some cases it's worth it as long as you don't eat too many Big Macs while you're surfing.

The Fon service is something that businesses and individuals should look at. For $30 ($10 more for an extended range antenna) they sell you a little secure wireless router that both gives the owner free wireless and also has a separated public service. Visitors are completely separated from your network. When other people connect to your router they automatically go to a pay page where they can pay for one day access. Fon gives you half and deposits it in your account. If you provide FON service yourself you get free access on the 1 million FON access points world wide.

I've put Fon routers in 2 locations (not at the lake) and they work great. They've more than paid for themselves and I've used free Fon access points in several other places around the country.

Also, many hotels now have free WiFi that you can use in their lobbies or outside. All the Meredith Inns have it. You can sit just outside or in those hotels and connect for free.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I have wifi so I can use my computer around the house but when I am outside, I can hardly see it. I have heard there is something you can get ( maybe a screen cover) so you can see it when it is sunny and bright. Can anyone enlighten me?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
tpabrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
WiFi at McDonalds is usually provided by Wayport. The company I work for helps service them.
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I have wifi so I can use my computer around the house but when I am outside, I can hardly see it. I have heard there is something you can get ( maybe a screen cover) so you can see it when it is sunny and bright. Can anyone enlighten me?
Check this out: Compushade
Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Toyorelle

Gunstock has free Wi-FI
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Irrigation Guy

VIP Auto Parts Stores has it. Laconia and Tilton.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #11
The Eagle

Default Wi-Fi

Why drive around and waste time and gas, and wear your patience out looking, and loosing connection? As I posted before I "invested" in a Verizon wireless plug in for my lap top and it's the best "investment" I made. I can use my lap top anywhere, and anytime, with no problems. I thank my daughter "Katie" for this as she is a salesperson at Verizon Wireless at the Nashua Mall. For years I have fought with my land line, and "free internet Wi Fi," and got frustrated more than I got connection. Expensive? Not at all! They have a couple plans, one is as low as $35 a month, and is more than sufficient for anything up here unless you are downloading massive movies. She knows more about the plans and benifits than I do (yes that is a sales pitch for her..she's a hard worker)..if interested in finding out, stop at the Nashua Mall and ask for her!
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #12
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Right on the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Why drive around and waste time and gas, and wear your patience out looking, and loosing connection? As I posted before I "invested" in a Verizon wireless plug in for my lap top and it's the best "investment" I made. I can use my lap top anywhere, and anytime, with no problems. I thank my daughter "Katie" for this as she is a salesperson at Verizon Wireless at the Nashua Mall. For years I have fought with my land line, and "free internet Wi Fi," and got frustrated more than I got connection. Expensive? Not at all! They have a couple plans, one is as low as $35 a month, and is more than sufficient for anything up here unless you are downloading massive movies. She knows more about the plans and benifits than I do (yes that is a sales pitch for her..she's a hard worker)..if interested in finding out, stop at the Nashua Mall and ask for her!
"The Eagle"
I have the same Verizon card. Eagle is very accurate in his comments about the Verizon connect card. Frankly, there are times I use my Verizon card for my laptop instead of hooking into my wired Metrocast "High Speed" connection at home because it's faster.

And, this isn't a sales pitch, I don't know anyone that works for Verizon Wireless.

Even works out on the lake... (Hope my boss dosen't read this post !)
Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
AB_Monterey

Thanks very much for the info.

We'll definitely look into the wireless option for home as well as up north.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
Lakepilot

We also have a Verizon Card that we use all around the country and the Lakes Region. It does rival Metrocast at times.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
John A. Birdsall

Default work

That's cool, take the laptop out on the boat, boss thinks I am working from home and here I sit on the computer in my boat, fishing line in one hand beer on the shelf, and doing my work on the computer.....That will work for me!
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #16
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We use a Verizon broadband card for internet assess on the island as well as when traveling. It was also good when the power out and metrocast cable went south. The Verizon broadband service here is usually good; at times it slows on busy weekends.

For travel we use the card even if wi-fi is available. We don't have to bother with any motel specific log-in and we are not part of a local unsecure wi-fi net.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
MWSP

Funspot in Weirs Beach has free Wi-Fi.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
Ropetow

Talking

I just visited the local Verizon Wireless store today. Even though I'm a Mac guy, I cannot justify an iPhone because ATT sucks for my needs. There is a huge dead zone north of the Hampton tolls on I95 that extends nearly to Newington, and we all know that two tin cans with string are better than ATT on the Lake. They brag about their "3G" network...I'd be happy with a single 'g', or even a single 'w'! So, I'm thinking about a Crackberry Storm. (data plan for $29 per month on top of the cell plan) With that, Verizon said I wouldn't even need the Card (and the $59 per month charge). Verizon would sell me a cable for, I think, $29, that would connect my MacBook Pro to the Crackberry, with the Crackberry serving as the modem. Pretty cool! Hmmm...If I do that, and spend lots of time working on the boat, I wonder if that makes the boat a tax deduction?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
Argie's Wife

If you're using the Blackberry as a modem, as you say, can you use more than one computer with it?

And is your cost for a single or family plan?

Just curious...

PS
Someone here in Alton is a big iPhone fan and says he has great reception with few problems. He commutes to Nashua each day for work and has few complains about calls being dropped... Something to consider, I guess...
Old 05-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #20
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
If you're using the Blackberry as a modem, as you say, can you use more than one computer with it?

Just curious...

PS
Someone here in Alton is a big iPhone fan and says he has great reception with few problems. He commutes to Nashua each day for work and has few complains about calls being dropped... Something to consider, I guess...
The price for the card and the cable is for one of each....using on one computer at a time. The cost of the data plan is per Crackberry. I can't believe anyone gets great reception with an iPhone in Alton, except for perhaps a pocket or two. Our plain cell phone is useless in the Bay area. The ATT service map basically shows Alton as a dead zone. )-:
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #21
Irrigation Guy

Just called Verizon and it would cost me the same $60.00 to do what you guys are saying either way. You need a data plan, and then a blackberry plan and there are bandwidth restrictions, so it would not be able to replace my home ISP.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
I just visited the local Verizon Wireless store today. Even though I'm a Mac guy, I cannot justify an iPhone because ATT sucks for my needs. There is a huge dead zone north of the Hampton tolls on I95 that extends nearly to Newington, and we all know that two tin cans with string are better than ATT on the Lake. They brag about their "3G" network...I'd be happy with a single 'g', or even a single 'w'! So, I'm thinking about a Crackberry Storm. (data plan for $29 per month on top of the cell plan) With that, Verizon said I wouldn't even need the Card (and the $59 per month charge). Verizon would sell me a cable for, I think, $29, that would connect my MacBook Pro to the Crackberry, with the Crackberry serving as the modem. Pretty cool! Hmmm...If I do that, and spend lots of time working on the boat, I wonder if that makes the boat a tax deduction?
as long as the Mac has a usb connection the cable comes with the BB. I use my BB teathered at my camp on Ossipee as well as a buds place on Moultonboro neck with no issues. Just got a Tmobile corp blackberry but I'm guessing with their horrible service I'll be needing to keep my verizon BB service through summer as well. Check to see if your employer has a discount, I have BES service for $32/mo and I believe my tethering is $12 on top of that. vs $39.99 and $15. Dont forget the BB service you must have with any BB plus your tethering and then the reg service.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #23
Orion

Default shared connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

I'm using the VZ Broadband Wireless modem and I share the connection out from my laptop to other laptops via WiFi and with Xbox360 via an Ethernet crossover cable. Single plan rate.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #24
brk-lnt

You can do BlackBerry tethered access on a Mac or PC (and with many of the routers that allow you to share the connection just like with a cablemodem (FTR, I use a Cradlepoint router with my USB720 Verizon Wireless card)).

However, I don't believe that you can make or receive calls when the BB is in data mode. So that is something to consider if you plan to stay connected for long durations.

All things considered, I would just go with the dedicated wireless broadband account.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Tethered BB

My IT Dept. tested the tethered BB idea. They found you could "take a call" while the BB was being used as a modem, but the internet connection became so slow as to be about useless. It didn't disconnect, just slowed to a crawl.