Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Little Island

I was surprised to hear that Little Island (aka Clow Island) on Paugus Bay is for sale. I believe the new house was built about five years ago. The original one burned to the ground in February of 1975 after having fallen into a state of disrepair. Deeds show that there was a house on Little Island as far back as 1895, when it was purchased by William Clow from a William Black. Does anyone know exactly when the first house was built? It has had numerous owners through the years, among them the late Laconia Fire Chief Merle Sargent.

It is presently listed on the Northern New England Real Estate website.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Arubaman

When we operated the Para-Sailing on Paugus Bay
back in the early 80's it belong to the Galvin's It now owned by the Bay of Fundy Trust.
Arubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
krm

Default listing?

Is there an online listing?
krm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Arubaman

http://www.nneren.com/view2.php?id=2755465&ref=r&price=$339,900.00&t=&fcla=
Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
sa meredith

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaman View Post
back in the early 80's it belong to the Galvin's It now owned by the Bay of Fundy Trust.
Para-sailing on Paugus Bay????? Really? I never knew that...or even read about it in a "remember when" thread.
How did that work out? I would think too much boat traffic...way too much on weekends. No?
Where were you based out of?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Arubaman

Hi

1980 through 1984
First year we were based out of Punch Ackerson place next to Trust Worthy Hardware that was sold to Arbee's. The last 3 years we moved down to where what was called than the Ancient Mariner than change to Wendy's Fast Food we were between them and Barton's on the empty lot.

Last edited by Arubaman; 02-09-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Waterbaby

Default Parasailing on Paugus Bay

Quote:

I barely remember the one on PB -- however, I do remember Parasailing right near the Wiers, a bit toward Meredith. This was perhaps in the early 90s....... were you part of that one, or do you know who was? I believe they had a raft out there that one launched from (for lack of a better word)............. It was only one season, or two at most, that they were there.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Arubaman

The operation in the Weirs was ran by a Para Sailing Outfit from Lake George, NY and Tampa Bay,Fl

With all the boat traffic at the Weirs it was impossible to operate.

We ran successfully for 4 years out of Paugus Bay, we closed doe to the high increase of insurance cost.

Back in the 80's many operations were ran off the beach's in the Island ad they had no control of the sail and many people were being injured. The operation we had , we had total control of the landing and take offs.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
coltgov101

Smile Para Sailing

I remember the para sailing in Paugus Bay very well. I had just tried it for the first time in Florida the winter before. I never did it at the lake but remember seeing that colorful sail high in the sky while boating in the bay.
coltgov101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
sa meredith

Default seems small

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltgov101 View Post
I remember the para sailing in Paugus Bay very well. I had just tried it for the first time in Florida the winter before. I never did it at the lake but remember seeing that colorful sail high in the sky while boating in the bay.
I'm thinking of this, and just can't imagine para sailing in PB. Just seems as though the area is not wide open enough.
The one time I did para sail, it was in George Town in the Bahamas, and something went wrong with the boat, and I floated down to the water. Now, as the shute hit the water, the boat made a semi-recovery, and started to attempt to regain speed. However, with water now in the shute, there was a lot of drag, and it felt as though I was getting pulled both ways. I somehow got yanked under the water for a while, before the spotters on the boat put a stop to the proceedings. Not fun. The cool thing about it was it was captured on film (not video, but 9 or 10 still shots) by a friend, so I now can relive it whenever the mood strikes. Anyway...my point is this...In PB, it would seem there are too many hazards to be para sailing. Someone could land on the boats, or the break water wall at Spinnaker, or the islands, or where ever...tight quarters. Maybe the para sailing took place between the islands and the channell? That would probably make more sense.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
Arubaman

The Para sailing took place right in the bay, we start off right about in front of the seaplane rides, the tow boat would head north to Christmas Island,make a left turn than head back to BK. turning north again pulling along side of the platform pontoon deck. The rider had no control on the Para Sail. Boat traffic was no problem, the youngest to ride was 4 1/2 years old and the oldest was 78. We even took an wheel chair rider up.
Dept. of Safety designated the location of the operation.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
Waterbaby

Quote:
The operation in the Weirs was ran by a Para Sailing Outfit from Lake George, NY and Tampa Bay,Fl

With all the boat traffic at the Weirs it was impossible to operate.

We ran successfully for 4 years out of Paugus Bay, we closed doe to the high increase of insurance cost.

Back in the 80's many operations were ran off the beach's in the Island ad they had no control of the sail and many people were being injured. The operation we had , we had total control of the landing and take offs.

Thank you! I remember thinking it wasn't such a great place for taking off/landing.............. Paugus Bay, however, seemed perfect back when you were doing it -- not nearly the traffic there is now! (Ohhhhhhhh, for the good ol'days, lol)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
Arubaman

Durning the week it was not bad, weekends were tuff but as you said, doing that now would be a very hard task.

I dont no if you remember that old water sking school on PG years back?