Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Looking for a Mr. Fixit ! Door issue.

Looking for someone who does small home repair jobs around the house.

One in particular is to fix my basement door, which has a steel casing.
The door is out of alignment with the casing, right side is about 1/4"+ lower than the left side. (This was the way it was when I bought the house a year ago). The issue is creating two problems, first I cannot properly lock the door, as the dead-bold will not extend into the jam, secondly, because the door is out of alignment it is not properly sealing against the weather-stripping causing a huge draft Possibly a wood shim, in the bottom hinge could correct the issue, but I want someone who knows what they're doing to fix it correctly and permanent.

So looking for a person to fix this and other small jobs.
Your feed-back is appreciated !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
fatlazyless

A couple pieces of thin cardboard, cut to same size as the hinge butt, and placed under the butt to shim it out an eight of an inch or something may get it done to re-align the door. Simply re-install the screws back though the cardboard shim.

..... that will be 85-dollars!
Old 09-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
....The door is out of alignment with the casing, right side is about 1/4"+ lower than the left side.
Assuming the door is a standard 3-ft entry door, with three hinges spanning about five ft. Lifting the right side that 1/4" by shimming the bottom hinge out would require a shim 5/3 times that 1/4" or a bit more than 3/8" thick (with half that for the middle hinge). That much might well keep the door from closing. If the door frame is wood, you could rout out the recess for the top hinge by the same amount to lift the right edge (and half that for the middle), but that much again would be a problem for proper fit, leaving shimming the bottom and routing the top each by 3/16", which still might cause problems with fit. But you said the door has a steel casing, which eliminates routing the frame, and if the door also has a steel shell, then routing the door also is out. I suspect the only real solution is major surgery on the frame installation, to make both sides plumb.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

If it's mounted to wood framing sometimes you can use extra long screws in the top hinge that will extend into the rough framing and pull the top of the door frame in enough to straighten it out.

Last edited by Biggd; 09-23-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default where?

To me, the first question and the info most omitted is geography. Is this in Gilford

Is it really the door? Is the house plumb and level or has it settled? Maybe leveling the house will fix the door?

Last edited by Descant; 09-23-2019 at 04:05 PM. Reason: location info possible found
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
djwade4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Looking for someone who does small home repair jobs around the house.

One in particular is to fix my basement door, which has a steel casing.

The door is out of alignment with the casing, right side is about 1/4"+ lower than the left side. (This was the way it was when I bought the house a year ago). The issue is creating two problems, first I cannot properly lock the door, as the dead-bold will not extend into the jam, secondly, because the door is out of alignment it is not properly sealing against the weather-stripping causing a huge draft Possibly a wood shim, in the bottom hinge could correct the issue, but I want someone who knows what they're doing to fix it correctly and permanent.

So looking for a person to fix this and other small jobs.

Your feed-back is appreciated !
Hello I’m Doug Wade. I own Bluebird construction. Please call me and I will give you a free quote. 603-770-3677

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
djwade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
dpg

All Seasons Home Services... They do all handyman things like this.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote