Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2022, 10:55 AM   #1
imyourhuckleberry

Default 20Ft Tri-Toon ?

Hey there - New boater to the lake this season.
I was looking at a 20ft tri-toon w/ 115 yamaha, or a similar size runabout/bowrider. Wondering if anyone has any advice on the size and which is better for lake Winni.

Will be taking out 2 families regularly with young kids (<10). Mostly tubing, and some sandbaring.

It will be in a slip all season, and I won't be trailering.

Thanks!
imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default WSelcome

Welcome to Winnipesaukee and the Forum.
I've always been partial to a boat with a cuddy because there is usually a head or porta-potti. Important for little kids and some adults. Please don't tell them to pee in the lake at the sandbar. Newer toons and bowriders have some clever solutions for this important piece of equipment. Cuddy is a nice place for naps and clothing changes as well as storage. There are some dealers who carry both types and might let you have an afternoon demo or rent and apply the rent to the purchase price. Good planning to have the slip all lined up. Have fun.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
8gv

Welcome!

Prepare yourself for many suggestions which will be the opposite of each other.

You may get some good insight on the possible choices but what might drive your decision more than anything could be availability.

Have fun!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Welcome!

Prepare yourself for many suggestions which will be the opposite of each other.

You may get some good insight on the possible choices but what might drive your decision more than anything could be availability.

Have fun!
Hahahaha! You're definitely right about availability.

OP, if I were planning to be out with two families as the norm (assuming 4 adults, 4 kids) doing "sports stuff" (tubing, skiing, going places) I would absolutely look for bigger size and motor. 24', as 22' is usually not an actual 2' increase, and definitely 150+. I would also look bigger if using it on the south side of the lake.

I've got a 20' Harris tritoon w/the highest option sports package and 150 Mercury, and won't take it south of The Graveyard in even moderate chop with 8 people.

If you'll only be cruising and floating within short distance of "home," the 20' with 115hp would be ok.

The above changes a bit when timing and location are taken into account. For example, we're in Hanson Cove most of the summer, so we can choose to go out, and anywhere, whenever works for us. If we were tied to a schedule, however, we'd be much more limited.

Feel free to ask away!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
imyourhuckleberry

yikes! I'm going to be mostly in Meredith bay - is that too exposed? Hoping to get out past the witches to do some tubing. Too ambitious in that size?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #6
Descant

Depends on weather/winds an d the day of the week. You can tube between Timber Island and Meredith Neck, between Mark Island and Bear Island and in Paugus Bay. Almost always, you can get behind an island to block whatever wind is coming, but that doesn't always give enough room for tubing, especially if other boats are around.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourhuckleberry View Post
yikes! I'm going to be mostly in Meredith bay - is that too exposed? Hoping to get out past the witches to do some tubing. Too ambitious in that size?
On a normal weekend day in the Weirs and/or Sanders with 8 decent size people (the ~max for 20' tritoons is 11 people/2200 pounds) you may take waves over the bow. That's, like, literally the worst chop on the lake.

If that's your stomping ground, and 8 is a normal load, I'd definitely look bigger. My family of 4 would avoid that area on weekends with our 20' tritoon (but love it on the jetskis!). Calm weekdays would be when we'd visit that area.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #8
imyourhuckleberry

hugely helpful thanks all!

btw, anyone have their boat in yet?
Old 04-17-2022, 07:38 PM   #9
whkhawks

I have been boating on the lake for 20 years and it is a lot different now. There is twice as many boats on the lake and on weekends you won't feel comfortable leaving Meredith bay. You really want a 25' tritoon with a 250. Your kids are going to get bigger and you will want to bring friends.
whkhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:05 PM   #10
Garcia

Quote:
hugely helpful thanks all!

btw, anyone have their boat in yet?
Yes! Opened up the camp this weekend
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:22 PM   #11
Winilyme

I’ve got to agree with those encouraging a bigger boat. Being in the Spindle Point area for 6-1/2 years, we have a front row seat to viewing struggling smaller boats/toons. I only have a ski but I know from what I’ve seen that when/if I purchase a boat, I won’t skimp on size. Note that you will quickly tire of staying in Meredith Bay alone and you’ll want to explore. To get to many wonderful locations, you’re going to need to traverse the Weirs or head east between Governors and Meredith Neck. I don’t know many spots on the lake that have rougher water than in those two areas. Lots of traffic, especially on weekends, going to or returning from Meredith or Paugus Bay. I’ve seen my share of toons taking it over the bow.

Good luck.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #12
Descant

Default toon vs boat?

American Boat Club in Meredith Bay has mostly 22' and 24' boats and toons. My guess is members don't want smaller boats in that area. Membership there gives an option of several different boats and might be worth a look. It might solve the problem of availability on a new boat purchase.

https://www.akwamarina.com/american-...SAAEgIvg_D_BwE
Old 04-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Boating Magazine guide

Boating Magazine Pontoon Buyers came along with the regular monthly Boating Magazine.

Here's a link:

https://www.boatingmag.com/pontoon-boats/

Dave
Old 04-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Keep in mind, you can rent to see which boat you are most comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:22 PM   #15
Patofnaud

I 'had' a 20' pontoon with a 75hp Yamaha for 5 years. I hated Merideth Bay on weekends, and the Broads on windy days. But it served its purpose.

I went to a 22' tritoon with a 150 Merc a couple of years back and love it.

Although I still try to stay out of Merideth Bay in the south end off Weirs on weekends if at all possible. Way too much traffic, way too many ijiots, and way too much chop.

IMHO a 20' Tri would be the minimum to get around and you'll be looking to replace it after a year or two for a couple more feet. That 2 feet will usually get you a better swim deck as 18 and 20's tend to remove the front deck to give seating room.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:48 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Really think you need to go to at least a 24' to stay dry out there.
We use our 24'tritoon in Fla as well and it does great .......if you take big swells at a 45 degree angle you won't bury the bow
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:31 AM   #17
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Really think you need to go to at least a 24' to stay dry out there.
We use our 24'tritoon in Fla as well and it does great .......if you take big swells at a 45 degree angle you won't bury the bow
I agree and think of 24 feet as a minimum on Winnipesaukee for a decent dry ride. You can go with smaller but it won't be quite as comfortable and you may not want to go out on rougher days.

I took a 25 foot tritoon to Florida this year and there is nowhere I can't go with it. I never worry about getting wet and the ride is very good. As Samiam said taking any large waves at an angle is best, not like head on with a conventional V hull boat.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:25 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I agree and think of 24 feet as a minimum on Winnipesaukee for a decent dry ride. You can go with smaller but it won't be quite as comfortable and you may not want to go out on rougher days.

I took a 25 foot tritoon to Florida this year and there is nowhere I can't go with it. I never worry about getting wet and the ride is very good. As Samiam said taking any large waves at an angle is best, not like head on with a conventional V hull boat.
I was taught that's how you should take large waves in boats - and that was way before pontoon boats.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:11 PM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I was taught that's how you should take large waves in boats - and that was way before pontoon boats.
In the conventional boat by going head on (rather than at a significant angle) in large waves I try to be trimmed with the bow as high as practical, with the prop still having a full bite of the water. A few degrees off of perpendicular allows the boat to ride over, rather than slice the water but it will still feel like you are going straight at the waves. In a pontoon boat, the best way seems to be much more at an angle.

I have had the NH boat put on a trailer and gone from Falmouth MA to the Vineyard and Nantucket many times and the wave heights there can get very severe. It is definitely a learning experience, but also a confidence builder.

I will save the Chatham Coast Guard boarding and voyage termination, and vessel impound story, (when I was younger and dumber) for another time! But, they did send me a very nice letter!

Last edited by TiltonBB; 04-20-2022 at 07:03 PM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #20
GusMan

Default Tri-toon

Back to the original question....

Several years ago I rented a 22' or 24' Toon with a 115hp Merc from Anchor Marine when we rented a house in Blackey Cove.. Super nice boat for cruising around with up to 12 or 13 people. But it was totally underpowered.. it took forever to get anywhere and forget any type of water sports. I would think given your intentions... a 26+ 250hp Triton would fit the bill but of course that's BIG $$$.

FYI.. I have a seasonal camper on a small lake in NH and I LOVE my 20 foot pontoon boat with a Honda 50hp. Of course with no big wakes and no water sports it makes all the difference in the world.

Different strokes for different folks (and lakes!).

Good Luck!

Cheers...

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:38 AM   #21
mofn

This is year 22 of having a toon on the lake and only learned three things over time.
1) 24 foot, do not go by the boat length but by the playpen length.
2) W/ young kids, ladder on the side, props scare the fecal matter out of me.
The new boats have them on the rear.
They are a pain at the dock but worth it, wider to get up on w/ older passengers also.
3) Strakes, the largest toons you can get, skinned.
4) Fuel tank in the center toon.
5) Top, I have 10 foot wish it was 12. You can always find the sun! And in light rain & warm can still stay out. Also nap time with the animals more shade area.
6) 2 groups, 150 min or stay home
7) Covers for the seat when not using, you can use all the chemicals you want, covers are the best when not used!
8) When buying do NOT go by the passenger limit... go by weight... figure that out, this goes back to toon size.
9) If no dash board get the wireless engine hookup to a phone or tablet tells you everything but what the 401K did for the day.
10) Speakers, not for me. Portable blue tooth...Bose 40 watts hung up in a mesh bag from the top.
11) Inside lights for at night, lights you up so you are seen. Take the kids out at night w/ Google Sky Map, me and the old lady do it its a blast! You can get satellite tracker but that is a timing thing to do?
11) Multiple cig plugins for phones etc. or USB ports for same.
there's more but that's enough.
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mofn For This Useful Post:
KennyFromBoston (04-23-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 11:08 AM   #22
Descant

Default Lights

The first # 11: I think Marine Patrol will stop you and tell you to turn off the lights while you are underway. Same as docking lights and underwater lights. They want to see only required Navigation lights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 08:27 PM   #23
imyourhuckleberry

So for budget reasons my choices were a 2015, 23' berkshire 2.5 toon with 150hp, or 2019 20' Bennington tri-toon with 115hp. Against all the advice I went with the Bennington 20'. I know, I know.

It sounds like I should proceed with caution on rougher days when leaving Meredith bay and heading east of governors island.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #24
Garcia

Plan ahead, be aware of the weather and conditions, and err on the side of safety and you’ll be fine. You don’t need a bigger boat. You can create wonderful memories with what you have.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #25
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Plan ahead, be aware of the weather and conditions, and err on the side of safety and you’ll be fine. You don’t need a bigger boat. You can create wonderful memories with what you have.
I started out with a 10' boat, then 13' then two fifteens. in the 60's. It goes on from there for many boats. There is no such thing as you don't need a bigger boat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-22-2022), TiltonBB (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 06:46 AM   #26
The Real BigGuy

Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:06 AM   #27
thinkxingu

Quote:
So for budget reasons my choices were a 2015, 23' berkshire 2.5 toon with 150hp, or 2019 20' Bennington tri-toon with 115hp. Against all the advice I went with the Bennington 20'. I know, I know.

It sounds like I should proceed with caution on rougher days when leaving Meredith bay and heading east of governors island.
Assuming you didn't dramatically overpay, you got a (fairly) new boat from a solid manufacturer that in a few years will be worth pretty close to what you paid for it. So use it, have a blast, and pay attention to the good and bad so you can either be totally happy with that one or trade up. It took us a couple years to figure out likes/dislikes before ordering "our" perfect vessel.

Congrats on the new toy, have fun, and post here what you discover (even if it's not awesome!).

Oh, and get a couple Mantus anchors on that thing—8# bow and stern!

Old 04-22-2022, 03:51 PM   #28
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Assuming you didn't dramatically overpay, you got a (fairly) new boat from a solid manufacturer that in a few years will be worth pretty close to what you paid for it. So use it, have a blast, and pay attention to the good and bad so you can either be totally happy with that one or trade up. It took us a couple years to figure out likes/dislikes before ordering "our" perfect vessel.

Congrats on the new toy, have fun, and post here what you discover (even if it's not awesome!).

Oh, and get a couple Mantus anchors on that thing—8# bow and stern!

LOL. Think...are you moonlighting as a salesman for Mantus?
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:24 PM   #29
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
LOL. Think...are you moonlighting as a salesman for Mantus?
It's almost as bad as Dancing Rabbit Vodka, amiright?!

(JK, baygo—I actually just posted about your elixir on my association's Facebook page.)

But seriously, I could have sold a dozen Mantus if I'd had them at sandbars these last couple years! Maybe I should become a traveling salesman like those Snap-on dudes!

Old 04-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #30
Steve C.

Just remember to check the capacity plate. That 20' will probably have a 7 or 8 person limit, and if stopped MP will check that.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:22 PM   #31
mofn

If you went with the Bennington, nice boats, but last few years welds are not
up to snuff.
I posted a guy's name up last year that will come to your house to do welding,
call him have him check them out. Hate to see you lose time in good weather on a weld.
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 06:42 AM   #32
imyourhuckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Just remember to check the capacity plate. That 20' will probably have a 7 or 8 person limit, and if stopped MP will check that.
Actually the capacity plate says 11, or 1590lbs. So i dont think thats going to be an issue.

Thanks for the advice on the anchors.
I forget who mentioned speakers but 100% agree. An upgraded sound system was actually a deterrent for me when I was looking at ads for boats. Not worth the expense.
I'll take a bluetooth speaker and an iphone thanks.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:29 AM   #33
thinkxingu

Quote:
Actually the capacity plate says 11, or 1590lbs. So i dont think thats going to be an issue.

Thanks for the advice on the anchors.

I forget who mentioned speakers but 100% agree. An upgraded sound system was actually a deterrent for me when I was looking at ads for boats. Not worth the expense.

I'll take a bluetooth speaker and an iphone thanks.
The capacity plate makes sense given it's a tritoon, and probably with 26" or 27" tubes?

Good luck on the anchors—don't be cheap here (as I was at one time).

Totally disagree on the stereo. We got the simple upgrade with four speakers, and it sounds way better than a portable speaker—especially one that's even remotely portable—and there's no charging, cables, or any other hoops to jump through. We have friends who use a Bluetooth speaker, and it's never in the right place or too loud on one side to hear on the other, and they need to pack and charge it, blah blah blah. I want as little as possible to bring to and from the boat.

The lights comment above I also disagree with—the amount of times we've needed lighting beyond our marker lights and cell phone flashlights is zero (we carry an emergency LED spotlight) and I've heard many tales of destroyed batteries from forgetting to turn them off or hitting switches in normal movement and not being able to notice in the sun.

The thing is—as 8gv mentioned early on here—is that people need to find "their" perfect and mine may not be yours. Except for Mantus anchors—those are everybody's perfect!

Old 07-21-2022, 06:38 PM   #34
imyourhuckleberry

Half - season update...
the 20 foot tri-toon has been all over the lake, taken on the broads, huge wakes from uncomfortably close cabin cruisers at plowing speeds, and survived the chaos of weirs and paugus areas with relative ease.
It's bounced around a little, but not once have I felt like I was in over my head, and haven't even taken it over the bow.
We have young kids so eventually we'll outgrow the 20', but for this season and probably next it seems perfect.
It even handles the lilly pad and a 3 person tube no problem.
Highly recommend for anyone with a young kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to imyourhuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-22-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:31 PM   #35
thinkxingu

Glad to hear you're having fun with your new vessel—congrats!

When you've a moment, post details and pics!

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #36
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hahahaha! You're definitely right about availability.

OP, if I were planning to be out with two families as the norm (assuming 4 adults, 4 kids) doing "sports stuff" (tubing, skiing, going places) I would absolutely look for bigger size and motor. 24', as 22' is usually not an actual 2' increase, and definitely 150+. I would also look bigger if using it on the south side of the lake.

I've got a 20' Harris tritoon w/the highest option sports package and 150 Mercury, and won't take it south of The Graveyard in even moderate chop with 8 people.

If you'll only be cruising and floating within short distance of "home," the 20' with 115hp would be ok.

The above changes a bit when timing and location are taken into account. For example, we're in Hanson Cove most of the summer, so we can choose to go out, and anywhere, whenever works for us. If we were tied to a schedule, however, we'd be much more limited.

Feel free to ask away!

I'm with you on this. Winnisquam and Newfound are perfect for this size, but not on Winnipesaukee. I have a 20' with a 115. A bit crowded with 2 families but doable. Pulling a tube at capacity is a bit challenging for the 115 so I wish for the 150. The boat is not rated for that HP.