Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Halloween last night.

Was it just me or did anyone else notice the lack of flashlights last night.
I traveled through Alton and Gilmanton Ironworks on my way home last night.
It was a very dark night all in all.
There were lots of little rug rats out with their parents and most including the parents were wearing black or dark colored clothing and almost no one had flashlights or any reflective clothing on.
In Alton it wasn't to bad but Gilmanton Ironworks area had almost zero street lights and even with high beams on it was very hard to see especially when people just walked out without hesitating.
I remember years ago when no parent would be seen out without a flashlight and many were waiving it frantically so drivers knew they were there.
Now granted we live out in the sticks and we are almost always at home during this time but has safety for ones kids really gone away?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

They used their batteries up in the storm??!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Argie's Wife

Although it's a few days after the fact, I also noticed a lot of kids without any kind of reflective clothing on or flashlights when we were out in Alton. We put some of those glow-in-the-dark bracelet/necklace looking things on our two monsters, but it probably wasn't enough; we just weren't used to it being so dark, so early in the evening. I remember that our fire department used to hand out little sheets of reflective stickers that kids could put on their costumes - they weren't big but were better than nothing.

I've driven through GIW on Halloween night and yes, it's dark (few street lights) and you have to bring your car to a total crawl to be safe. I don't mind it - it's one night a year - but I do mind having to hit the breaks hard when someone 'just steps out' - no checking for traffic - just bolts across a street! Truly frightening!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
NoRegrets

Default Thumbs up

We had Halloween moved to Sunday PM. There was a group of three adults and 6 children walking down the street with no visible lighting. A city vehicle approached them with it's hazard flashers blinking. He handed all the children a glow stick and then proceeded on.

I am anti big government but this was one time that I saw a very positive event.

It was Sunday so the city employee / driver probably got overtime or double time and will retire with a higher comp basis.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote