Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
Rich

Default 3M Finesse-It II, and Surhold Buff-Magic: have you used both?

Is there anyone here that has used BOTH of these products?

3M Finesse-It II:
http://3mmarine.com/products/compoun...ish-05928.html

Surhold Buff-Magic:
http://shurhold.com/buff-magic/

I've had good luck with the 3M Finesse-It II, but I hear good things about the Yacht Brite (now Sur-hold) Buff-Magic.

So I'd like to hear from anyone that has used both products for polishing the fiberglass on a boat.

I've seen many posts that just say "this works great, it's the only thing I would use!" but most of these posts online are from someone that only has used one product or the other.

I'd like to understand how the two products differ, what is different and why? Are the results that much different from one or the other? Is there more or less effort for the same results?

I have a fairly large boat to polish and wax (38 ft) so I'm open to new ideas and procedures. I know the Finesse-It II works, but I'd like to consider the Buff-Magic if it has any real benefits.

Both of these are not inexpensive so I'd prefer not to buy enough do to my whole boat, and then not like it.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 04-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Meguiars

Rich,

Not to throw too much of a wrinkle in... but I used this last year and it worked well. Ordered a new one for this weekend's fun!!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...TlCo1FfUAN2_9Q
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Chaos

Default I've used both

Rich,
I tried the Buff Magic Last year after seeing all the internet videos and claims. I thought it did an ok job, but it did clog the pad frequently.

Finesse it is nice because it works a lot easier. I've mostly used it for gel coat repairs and returning the shine from the sanding process. Not sure how well it works on chalky oxidized gel coat.

this year I tried 3M Imperial Compound and Finishing Material and found this to be the best, at least for some mildly oxidized gel coat. It brought back a very nice shine and was easier to work than the buff magic.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Rich

Mike,

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for, from someone that had actually used both. Thanks!

My boat is not heavily oxidized, I try to stay on top of it, but it has some spots that can use some help, not to mention the usual water spots and other things that slowly affect the shine.

Unless someone has a compelling argument for the buff magic, I'll probably stick with the Finesse-It II. It seems to do a great job.

Yes, I've been reading some reviews of the Buff-Magic and it makes me wonder if I'm missing something easier to use.

Like they say, everything is not as it seems, and the grass is not always greener on the other side!