Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Follett

Default Lyons Den

Last night we went to the Lyons Den in Guilford. The reason we drove from Meredith to Guilford was because of tasting their chili at the cookoff in the Weirs last week. The restaurant was comfortable and very clean, the staff was pleasant, the food was very excellent ( I had the duck )! The best part, in my mind, was supporting a restaurant that had supported the NH Humane Society by taking part in the Chili Cookoff last week. I have to believe that it is fairly expensive for a restaurant to take part in such event, however, if they are good, as Lyons Den was, I think they have an opportunity to bring in customers that they would normally not see. Kudos to the Lyons Den!!
Follett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Follett For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (02-07-2012), lunch lady (02-06-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
meredith weekender

The Lyons Den is AWESOME!!!!!!! Always great service, great food and great atmosphere. We thank this forum for turning us onto the Lyons Den about 3 years ago.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meredith weekender For This Useful Post:
Reilly (02-06-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
rick35

Couldn't agree more. With all the chain restaurants around its nice to get the extra attention from a family business. After a day of skiing at Gunstock on Friday I stopped for a beer and ordered take-out. My family was thilled with the special treat. Love the tips!
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Barbara

It is such a warm and welcoming restaurant and the food is great. A great family owns and operates it. it's a real asset to the region.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

The Den is one of our favorite stops. Great food and service. And they pour a good glass of Guinness.

There have been several threads here such as:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ighlight=lyons

and

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ighlight=lyons
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
lunch lady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follett View Post
Last night we went to the Lyons Den in Guilford. The reason we drove from Meredith to Guilford was because of tasting their chili at the cookoff in the Weirs last week. The restaurant was comfortable and very clean, the staff was pleasant, the food was very excellent ( I had the duck )! The best part, in my mind, was supporting a restaurant that had supported the NH Humane Society by taking part in the Chili Cookoff last week. I have to believe that it is fairly expensive for a restaurant to take part in such event, however, if they are good, as Lyons Den was, I think they have an opportunity to bring in customers that they would normally not see. Kudos to the Lyons Den!!
'The town is GILFORD not Guilford. The Lyons Den has always been my favorite restaurant in this area. I went last week and I bought a big container of Chili home for my husband.
lunch lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lunch lady For This Useful Post:
Jmo77011 (02-06-2012), Overlake97 (02-11-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunch lady View Post
'The town is GILFORD not Guilford.
.. and, it's the only Gilford in the USA, (there is an unincorporated Gilford in the Midwest somewhere), but it's easy for folks to think it would be Guilford. The town was named by a veteran of the revolutionary war, and a clerk in the state house spelled the name wrong.

Gilford History

First settled in 1777 as a part of Gilmanton, the town was originally known as Gunstock Parish. Captain Lemuel B. Mason proposed that the name of the town be Guilford in memory of the 1781 Battle of Guilford Court House. He was a veteran of that battle. The town was incorporated by its current name in 1812, due to a clerical error in the spelling of Guilford.

... and, in the movie, The Patriot, with Mel Gibson, the climatic battle depicts the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread on the fabulous Lyons Den.
Airedale1 (02-07-2012), Follett (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Follett

Thank you Steve A for the history lesson. My wife told me that I had misspelled Gilford after I had posted.
Follett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Link to McDude's Lyon's Den Page & Menus

The Lyon's Den
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
jkjoshuatree

Default There's Another One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
.. and, it's the only Gilford in the USA, (there is an unincorporated Gilford in the Midwest somewhere), but it's easy for folks to think it would be Guilford. The town was named by a veteran of the revolutionary war, and a clerk in the state house spelled the name wrong.

Gilford History

First settled in 1777 as a part of Gilmanton, the town was originally known as Gunstock Parish. Captain Lemuel B. Mason proposed that the name of the town be Guilford in memory of the 1781 Battle of Guilford Court House. He was a veteran of that battle. The town was incorporated by its current name in 1812, due to a clerical error in the spelling of Guilford.

... and, in the movie, The Patriot, with Mel Gibson, the climatic battle depicts the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread on the fabulous Lyons Den.
There's actually a Guilford in Vermont (yes, it's spelled that way). I actually drove through it yesterday.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

In the interest of keeping the page current (I hadn't heard from Lauren in a while) and with saving some storage space I've eliminated the Lyon's Den webpage in favor of their facebook page seen here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lyons...23667130992050

Quote:
Do you have Valentine's Day plans? Don't forget to make your reservations! Come celebrate with us! Lots of great specials and a romantic feel with a beautiful view! Call 603-293-8833

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
drwamcross

Default Fabulous Food

My wife and I went to Lyons Den for dinner on Sunday night and the food and service were once again fabulous. We had ceasar salad and I got the prime rib with my wife getting baked stuffed shrimp. We shared and had surf and turf with the lemon cake for dessert. Everything was delicious and it is and continues to be one of our favorite restaurants in the area.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote