Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
ART

Default Tipping at the Gas Pumps

This past weekend a nice kid at the Goodhue's finished pumping the gas into my boat. My bill was $130. I gave her $5 for her efforts. As I was pulling away from the docks one of the people in my boat said 'you just spent a fortune on gas and then added $5 to it for her to just stand there and do her job'. I thought he was petty and told him so. What do you think? Do you tip at the pumps?
ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
PROPELLER

I have tipped in the past, especially when I have the waste tank pumped also. $5 is a little rich for me but its all personal preference. If thats what you want to tip who cares, its your business.

One year I waited til the end of the season to tip a couple of the summer help at the marina in a lump sum. However, that is more difficult because when there are several of them you don't always get the same one, so I stopped that.

TIP: to insure promptness is what TIP means & my late father in law many years ago use to give a lump sum TIP at the beginning of the boating season to insure that he would be taken care of. Of course if you go to different marinas for gas or do not purchase gas at the marina you have a slip in you would not TIP this way.

I have to say though, with gas prices where they are now or where they maybe headed, I'm sure TIPs will be decreasing.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Woodsy

Art,

I am with you on this one. I always tip the gas girl/guy. They are performing a service, same as a waitress. Its not thier fault gas is pricey, nor is it the marinas. You wouldn't go to an expensive restaurant and not tip the waitress would you?

I think a tip should be MANDATORY with a pump out... thats a nasty job I wouldn't want to do.

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
TomC

Default I tip too

Its a couple of bucks generally to a school age kid earning peanuts... i am always in a good mood on the boat and if the kid is earnest and pleasant, why not put a smile on his/her face? And lets face it: if you are burning up gas in a leisure activity such as pleasure boating, you're probably in an ecomomic bracket where you're not too worried about $2-$5 on top of a $50-$100 tank fill-up
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
CEP

Default TomC

You are absolutely correct!!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I do not have that large a gas tank, but I appreciate the kids (usually) that are working the docks. I buy my gas almost exclusively at West Alton and they do a nice job of helping to dock the boat, take care not to spill, and are friendly and pleasant to deal with. No potty on board (Mrs UTS would LOVE one), so pump outs are not an issue. I always try to give $3-5 as a tip, for the reasons given above.

Kinda like going to the diner for breakfast, and the tab is only 10 bucks for two. I feel almost guilty leaving a buck-fifty to two buck tip. Usually will be at least three bucks (just for the coffee refills)

As a regular at the restaurant(s) or gas docks, you are remembered and usually receive excellent service and an extra smile, which makes for a great day.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

I always tip, usually $3 for gas and $5 if there's a pump out.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:13 PM   #8
Wing Nut

So does this mean that everyone should tip the attendant at a regular full service gas station when you put gas in your car?

I've been boating on Winni for the last nine years and I have never nor have I ever seen anyone tip the kids that work the gas docks. That includes several family members that have had places on the lake for over 25 years. Usually when I go to get gas the kid will just hand the pump to me and I pump it myself.

A pump out would definitely call for a tip, though.

I must say, though, that it's always entertaining to watch some of the older guys with the big beer gut and the oversized boat that matches their ego attempt to pick up the girl pumping the gas while I'm waiting in line!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Bizer

TIP as an acronym for "To Insure Promptness" sounds plausible and makes a good story, but there is no evidence to support this. According to SNOPES,
  • Acronyms are unknown prior to the 20th century.
  • The use of TIP as a noun goes back to the 18th century.
  • The use of TIP as a verb goes back to the 17th century.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
Woodsy

They still have full service gas stations? LOL!
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
GWC...

Default Happy you're happily entertained...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Nut
I must say, though, that it's always entertaining to watch some of the older guys with the big beer gut and the oversized boat that matches their ego attempt to pick up the girl pumping the gas while I'm waiting in line!
That's not from beer; too much pasta!

Usually, she is embellishing a story about the "cheapies" at the Lake who do not seem to appreciate her efforts to brighten a stranger's day.

As for the ego, guess I've seen too much of the Clintons on television - monkey see; monkey do...

Anywho, have a great time at the Lake and happy to entertain - remember, you can not beat the price and no tipping expected, at least not from me.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote