Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Towables and Batteries at Sam's!

With the boating season about a week away, if any of you are in the need of a new boat battery or two person towable tube, check out Sam's Club for a great deal!

Sam's is now selling Duracell batteries in all marine sizes and grades including AGM (absorbed glass mat). These batteries are produced by East Penn / Deka manufacturing a leading and quality manufacturer of batteries in the U.S.

I picked up three AGM batteries for a 36 volt trolling motor for $99.00 each!! They also have standard marine starting and deep cycle batteries with 840 CCA for $69.00 each!! This exact battery is selling for three times this much at other places like West Marine. These are smoking deals on quality batteries.

I also picked up a two person Sea-doo towable for $129.00 This is about half price of what most two person Sea-doo towables go for.

Just wanted to pass on the savings to you all!

Come on ice out!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (03-18-2012), BroadHopper (03-23-2012), Misty Blue (03-21-2012), welchislandman (03-20-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Geneva Point

Which Sam's Club did you go to get the batteries?
Geneva Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Jonas Pilot

The closest one.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva Point View Post
Which Sam's Club did you go to get the batteries?
I bought mine at the Manchester store but imagine they all carry them.

Dan
Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default Be careful with batteries.

One year Consumer reports rated the batteries at NAPA very high. I needed several replaced and purchased them from NAPA for my boat, truck and SUV. The truck batteries lasted 1 year the boat 2 seasons and the SUV which is hardly ever used still has the battery in it, but it has never had that kick that a good battery has.
I have since paid $200 a piece for Sears Platinum diehard batteries which have so far lasted 3 problem free years in my diesel plow truck. With starting, electric plow, duel strobe lights and heater running it beats batteries up. The Sears batteries have a 4 year replacement warrantee.
Many swear by interstate including the diesel repair shop that I use.
Just saying Sam’s club and Walmart may have a good battery but then again it may only last a year.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
One year Consumer reports rated the batteries at NAPA very high. I needed several replaced and purchased them from NAPA for my boat, truck and SUV. The truck batteries lasted 1 year the boat 2 seasons and the SUV which is hardly ever used still has the battery in it, but it has never had that kick that a good battery has.
I have since paid $200 a piece for Sears Platinum diehard batteries which have so far lasted 3 problem free years in my diesel plow truck. With starting, electric plow, duel strobe lights and heater running it beats batteries up. The Sears batteries have a 4 year replacement warrantee.
Just saying Sam’s club and Walmart may have a good battery but then again it may only last a year.
I totally agree Napa Batteries are crap, or at least used to be. I went thru several quite a while back, they didn't last well at all. I had tried them as Napa was close and Sears was quite a trip. I now make the time to go buy the Diehards it is worth the drive to get a batterie that lasts.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
ishoot308

Quote:
Just remember, Sears does not manufacture batteries. They buy from one if not all of the big three US battery manufacturers Exide, Johnson Controls, and East Penn. Can't comment on the NAPA batteries as I have no idea who made them. Could be from China...

East Penn is currently manufacturing the Duracell batteries. http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=1491
They are the exact same case and all as the highly regarded Deka batteries.

Price does not determine a batteries longevity or capability. Cold cranking amps, marine cranking amps, reserve capacity and amp hour rating does. I would never use an auto battery for my trolling motor or my boat. Each requires a different type of battery. Deep cycle and CCA amps are important for my boat and deep cycle and reserve capacity are important for my trolling motor. I also prefer the AGM for it's complete maintenance free characteristics.

For the money you won't beat what Sam's has to offer. I merely brought it up for those looking to save a few bucks. I'm sure the money saved will be needed for the gas tank this summer!

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-19-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
XCR-700

Any idea who makes Interstate batteries?

I have always had great luck with them and BJ's usually has them for a reasonable price.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
ishoot308

Default Johnson Controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

I have always had great luck with them and BJ's usually has them for a reasonable price.
It looks like "Johnson Controls" make interstate batteries...

http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-...ate-batteries/

And yes Interstate is a GREAT battery. I have used them for years!

Dan
Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
meredith weekender

Default NAPA Batteries

Put a NAPA battery in my Kawasaki PWC two years ago and only got one season out of it. Very, very disappointed seeing that the original battery lasted 3 years. We have a fleet of over 17 and buy all of our batteries from Sanel Auto and are very happy with the results.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
meredith weekender

Default high demand

Quote:
if ur running that much on the truck you should make sure that you at least have a 100 amp alternator in the truck at a minimum. Then try to change out ur strobes to LED's and never run the heat on full blast while plowing, try to run it at a steady 1/2 or 3/4 withthe temp cranked, if it gets too hot then crack the windows. The other possibility is that the electric motor on the plow is drawing to much juice.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

Dan is right I found this right on their website:
Who manufactures Interstate batteries?

Interstate's automotive batteries are made by Johnson Controls, the world leader in battery quality with more than 80 years in the business. All but a few of these batteries are made in North America.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
codeman671

I would not knowingly buy any battery made by Exide Corporation. I had an Exide blow up in my truck when I was 21, I was under the hood at the time trying to figure out why it would not start. It blew in my face, I was completely blind for 2 weeks before my vision started to come back.

Long story short, it was a manufacturing defect in the battery.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
gtxrider

Default I still like DELCO

My truck is a 2001 that I bought new and now has 139K on the odometer. I replaced the battery once. My 2004 Extreme had 106K on the clock when I sold it in 2010 never changed the battery. Of course I sold it to my nephew and a week or so later the battery went. Poor kid I paid for the replacement. ALL DELCO batteries. Oh there has been a DELCO Voyager in the boat for several years and it is still cranking.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default OEM batteries

I like to know who makes the MOPAR bateries. I get 8 years or more out of them. I did purchase a MOPAR starter battery for my old boat. I had the boat 5 years and sold the boat so I have no idea how long it lasts.

My current boat came with Champion dual purpose batteries. One lasted a year and replaced with an Exide dual purpose. I'm on my fourth year with the batteries.

I always remove the batteries and place them in the cellar off season. I would pop the caps and fill with distilled water. I low charge both batteries at least once a month.

I find DIEHARD brand over hyped. For replacement batteries, I shop around for the best price. The Exide battery was on sale at VIP.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
rick35

Default 5+ years unusual?

I'm concerned it may be time to replace my boat battery. Its an Interstate cranking type that came with my boat in 2008. I charged it up and it seems to be working fine but I think I may be pushing it. I'm thinking about going back to Interstate for the same battery but their hours are not consumer friendly (7-5 daily, not open weekends). Anyone had any luck with Costco?
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #17
smith point boater

Try Bjs at exit 20
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
rick35

I stopped at Costco in Nashua yesterday and was surprised they didn't carry marine cranking batteries. I stayed with Interstate and hope the new one will last five years too.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
Blue Thunder

As stated earlier in this thread, there are only 3 battery manufacturers in the country. There is no need to spend cubic dollars on a battery for your boat. I just replaced my Optima AGM that I paid ridiculous money for 5 years ago with a 27 Group Ever Start Marine Deep Cycle battery from Walmart for $74. Made by Johnson Controls. Can't beat it.

BT
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
Happy Gourmand

Batteries are like mattresses. You have no clue what's inside. And, like mattresses, sometimes the less costly ones are just as good as the expensive ones. But who can tell the difference?
We have a 2005 Mercury Montego that still has the original battery. I have it load tested every year at inspection time and it passes with flying colors.
Even Consumer Reports ratings for the different brands vary from year to year...the good ones last year are the not so good ones this year.
Bottom line, I guess it's a crap shoot as to which one to buy.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
Happy Gourmand

Default New Battery

That 8 year old battery that I was bragging about last Thursday crapped out today!!
Absolutely positive that I jinxed it!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
RANGER CANOE CO (05-15-2013), surfnsnow (05-13-2013)