Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
beagle

Default What to look for in a used boat--HELP!!!

We are in search of our first used boat, and I have no idea what to look for. From reading previous posts, I think we should be looking at 22 ft and over for handling on the big lake. I am thinking to go with a bow rider, because our boys ages 14 and 16 will be having friends stay with us over the summer, and their parents may come up too. They want to go tubing, maybe fishing, and cruising. We want something of good quality and reliability, and I have looked at previous threads and the JD Power ratings, and we are looking to spend 30-40K. What are your experiences with brands, engines (merc vs. volvo as well as other engine features that are good), and other things that are good? How old or how many engine hours should we look for? Any specific things we should look out for that are bad? Should we buy thru a marina, or private sale? Any other pointers would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Dave R

With that kind of budget and the desire for quality, you should be looking at used and well kept Cobalts and Bryants. Volvo and Merc make reliable drives, they both use the same engines in their packages, and there's plenty of mechanics and dealers of both brands in the area, so I would not sweat the power brand. Aim for the biggest engine for a given boat.

My choice would be a Cobalt 226 or 246 with an 8.1 engine and duo prop/bravo 3
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
AC2717

Default Used Boat

Hi Just purchased a 1988 Cobalt and it is like brand new from THurston's Marine. it is a 23 footer, I bought it last September and only got a couple of voyages in but what a ride. It was abotu athirfd of what you are looking to spend.

I would not get anything under 22 feet, and I would, if you are not so worried about speed than comfort, I would go with a Deep V hull type boat, Cobalt's seem to be built perfectly for the big lake, as most of there previous models and I believe they still are, are built mainly off of a design for the Great Lakes region.

My cousin has a 19 foot string ray and when ever we are out there we get tossed around a lot, good engine though

I would prefer a volvo penta engine myself but my Cobalt came with a 290 horse OMC engine with 850 hours on it, i am impressed to be honest
Cobalt i believe now uses volvo penta

Also if you are staying in the fresh water I would buy only a fresh water used boat, and try to buy something used from the area that you are going to be using it in, that way the boat is used to the area and water for cooling and its systems.

Good Luck - A lot of research ahead of you, I know I just went through it for over a year
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Charlie T

You will have many choices in your search with that budget. One thing to keep in mind, If you need a slip on the lake at a marina you will probably need to purchase the boat from that marina. Historically slips are in short supply (that may change this year with fuel prices) and the marinas use slip availability as a selling point for their boats. Personally I use rack storage and I am very happy with it. I don't have the wear and tear of the sun and water on the boat and I can get it in and out usually within 5-10 min. Again rack storage space is often tied to a boat purchase.
Good luck on the lake
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
WinnChill

Beagle,

We, too, are first time boat owners (a used 94 FourWinns)--we pick it up this Saturday! Anyways, I'm sure others will head you in the right direction as far as manufacturers--I still don't know a whole lot, but enough of a crash course to go with a good quality boat. One thing though, I felt more comfortable going through a marina for our first purchase. Since it was a used boat, I had all the maint. records, but mostly because they'll go out with us the first time and show us the ropes. Sure, there are probably some great deals privately along with all the equipment, but the rookie guidance wouldn't be there. I'd rather have a connection with a marina first before we upgrade and perhaps venture out on our own purchases.

A bowrider, IMHO, is the greatest. We plan on taking many friends out with us, and using as much space as possible is key. With the budget you have in mind, you'll surely find an incredible first boat!!

I wish you luck and look foward to sharing our first boating experiences here on the forum this year!

Cheers,
Cameron
WinnChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Dave R

Wanted to add, hours are going to be irrelevant in a boat of that type and price range. Look more for overall condition and obvious signs of loving care than low hours. I'd much rather have a boat that was used a lot and treated well than one that was parked a lot and ignored.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
beagle

Thumbs up Always good advice!

Dave, I thought that Cobalts were good, but I hadn't heard of the Bryants before so I guess I'll keep an eye out for them too. So if it is a choice of a newer model but 200hr plus time or an older model 100 hrs or less, which is better? I guess I have no feel for how many hours on an engine are good or bad! Charlie, We don't need a slip, we have a place on the water, that's why I thought a bow rider would be better than one of those cabin type boats-more above deck seating. Cameron, I also like the layout of the Four Winns, it seems like a really nice boat. Let me know how you like the ride! And, I can see that going with a dealer would be smart for us newbies.
Thanks everyone for your help! Anything else you all think of would be appreciated!
Patty
Old 05-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default a few more cents here

Beagle,

My advice here is on a different angle... with what you are willing to spend 30K to 40K you could look at a smaller new boat. A 18' to 21' Four Winns as an example would fall into this catagory. Then you wouldn't have to wonder about how well a used boat was taken care off. Now there are arguments to the bigger boats such as stability handling in rough weather etc. etc. and depending on the part of the lake you will be boating in most often these things may be a concern. But I myself by choice only have an 18' and rarely have issues on the lake. I just stay away from the Wiers in July. Now other reason I recomend considering a smaller boat. If this is your first boat, then a smaller boat is going to be easier to learn to maneuver in tight quarters. Also you mention you have a place on the water (I am assuming not on an island), so your boat is not your direct access to the lake, and therefore you don't need to be as worried about being comfortable all day long on the water, you will use the boat for a few hours and then return it to the dock where it will sit. you just need to something comfortable enough for a ride a couple times durring the day. Last reason for recomending a smaller boat, bigger the boat, the bigger the wake, and if you have kids that want to ski tube etc. etc. a smaller boat that planes quicker is more advantageous. Well those are my thoughts..... You will get plenty of advice here, none of it is wrong we just all have varying opions, and objectives....

Cobalts for the high end, and Fourwinns for the mid-grade are my recomendations..... Chaparalls are also nice.......

Good luck and good boating.....
Old 05-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Charlie T

ON the subject of size for the lake, let me tell you my experience.

I started out with a Chaparral 198 (19ft) in 2000, I got beat up on the lake and could not wait to get rid of it. I traded up to a Chap 235 (23ft) and it was like a night and day difference. I could go pretty much anywhere on the lake and not feel like I'd been in the ring with a prize fighter at the end of the day. Shortly after buying the 235, I came upon a Chap 2550 that was 5 yrs old with only 100 hrs (documented) on it. This 5 yrs old boat was in great condition and needed very little in the way of work. I paid short money (a lot less than you are talking about) for it and couldn't be more pleased. The ride isn't much different from the 23.5ft but it is newer and better looking.
My advise is to look for a good deal, they are out there but don't go too small. BTW my 2550 is a Volvo Duo Prop, I would never go back to a single prop outdrive again. Much easier to get around at low speeds. Responsive to steering input.
YMMV
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
ThePlut

Default Hours

I doubt you'll ever find two boat that all other things are equal except one is older/fewer hours vs. newer/more hours. The advantage of newer is that you might get some warranty left on the boat (Cobalts are 5 years from in service date).

I agree with Dave R, condition is everything.

And personally, I think a used 22-24ft boat would be better on Winni than a new 19-22' boat. My first was a 20', and that lasted a year. I'm in a 24' and it was a great decision.

Good luck!
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Some more things to think about

Good advice so far so let me add in a few disjointed thoughts perhaps not yet mentioned.

1) Re: size - Make sure the boat will hold the # of people you expect to be on it. 2 + 2 kids is easy but if you're bringing along friends and their kids ... Think more about weight capacity than # of seats. You may also want to think about how much time out and about on the water you'll typically be spending. Long times might indicate a need for a head (even just a porta-potty) and these are better on the larger bowriders.

2) Re : engine - Stay with a V8, 5.7L min. I'd prefer fuel injection for guaranteed, easy starts but others will tell you the a properly maintained carb setup works just fine. As far as Merc vs VolvoPenta .... I'd recommend the VP DuoProp over the B3 simply because Merc had problems with corrosion on the B3s "back when". While I think they mitigated it, they never solved it and frankly they denied anything was ever wrong with the B3 design. In your price range go for the 2 props over any single prop drive.

3) Bowrider is a good choice, indeed the most popular choice for all the reasons mentioned. Again if you think you'll require a head onboard, actually try out the compartment for size. Some are OK, others way to small except for kids. Also with BR's I'd like a door or windblocker to be available to seal off the bow from the main cockpit. This is pretty rare and while not a must have, it's nice on those colder days.

4) Will you be getting a trailer ? What do you have for a tow vehicle ? How big is your slip ? What draft will it support ? Again this goes back to the size question.

5) I'd recommend you get some form of bimini top, either when you buy the boat or budget it to add it later. You'll want protection from the sun. Make sure you also get some covers for the cockpit and bow. All preferably from Sunbrella (or like) fabric.

6) Condition over hours but within reason. I think the average hrs/season is about 40. Frankly given your budget, there are all sorts of very nice boats to be had.

7) Re: make - Certainly Cobalts and Formulas (Formulae ) are nice, I know a lot of people who've been very happy with their FourWinns and Rinkers. Find what you like vs what someone regards as best. This is Winnipesaukee, not the ocean. You can visit all the marina's in a days drive so ... visit them all. Most also have online listings. If you're looking off the lake then I'd be sure it was a fresh water boat. I'd avoid anything left in the ocean. For your 1'st used boat I'd go through a marina rather than a private sale.

8) If possible test drive with all or most of your family onboard. Then you'll see if the time-to-plane and ride are acceptable to all. Also be sure the gears (Fwd-N-Rvs) shift smoothly and predictably.

9) If you're going to spend time hanging out, anchored at the sandbar, it's best to have someplace dedicated (at the bow) to store the anchor and rode. Also you can't have to many cleats. Look for them amidships as well as fore and aft.

10) Check out the (re-)boarding ladder. If you're going to have people in the water then they'll want to come out and back onboard at some point.

11) Don't get a boat w/o snap-in carpeting. Glued down is bad. No carpet is hot (but can be fixed ... with snap-in carpeting).

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 05-03-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
NHskier

Beagle,

My wife and I went through this process last fall for our first boat. In our case we were looking for "one-stop shopping" - with access to service, winter storage, and either rack storage or a slip. And while this limited us to buying from a marina we would have gone that route regardless for added peace of mind.

We purchased a 1998 Cobalt 232 (7.4L V8, fuel-injected, Volvo DuoProp) from Thurston's and have been very pleased with the performance and handling. We first looked at smaller boats in the 20 foot range, but after a test ride or two found there was absolutely no comparison to the ride of a larger & heavier boat.

This particular boat had originally been sold, stored, and maintained by Thurston's. They had all the service records and were able to show us exactly what work had been done over the years. As mentioned in an earlier post that's a real advantage.

We were extremely pleased with the attention we received from Jeff Thurston when first looking at the boat (on land), during the test ride, and after the sale with on-water instructions. And we've also been happy so far with winter storage and their service department.

There's some great advice in the earlier posts that very much reflect our experience, too.

NHskier
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #13
Woodsy

For added piece of mind when considering a used boat.....

GET A SURVEY!!

Have a proffessional marine surveyor go thru the boat. its cheap insurance, I think its about $25 per foot. A proffessional surveyor will go thru the whole boat stem to stern! He will send the engine oil out to analyzed, check the stringers and transom, inspect the gas tank, plug his comp into the motor to verify the hours and possibly other info such as max RPM etc. In short, a proffessional surveyor will be able to insure you are getting what you paid for. It will also put your insurance company at ease...

Woodsy
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle
Dave, I thought that Cobalts were good, but I hadn't heard of the Bryants before so I guess I'll keep an eye out for them too. So if it is a choice of a newer model but 200hr plus time or an older model 100 hrs or less, which is better? I guess I have no feel for how many hours on an engine are good or bad! Charlie, We don't need a slip, we have a place on the water, that's why I thought a bow rider would be better than one of those cabin type boats-more above deck seating. Cameron, I also like the layout of the Four Winns, it seems like a really nice boat. Let me know how you like the ride! And, I can see that going with a dealer would be smart for us newbies.
Thanks everyone for your help! Anything else you all think of would be appreciated!
Patty
There's really no difference between 100 and 200 hours on a bow rider engine, so ignore the hobbs meter and look solely at the condition of the boat.

If I had a place on the lake, I'd have a 24+ foot bowrider too. The difference between my last boat, a 21 footer and my current boat, a 25 footer, is night and day. The bigger boat is vastly more pleasurable when the water gets rough. That said, the 21 footer was more fun to drive since it was far more spirited and edgy in feel.

Arrange for some test rides in a few brands.

Some other models (in addtion to what's been recommended) to look at:

Monterrey 248 LS
Regal 2200 (an utterly gorgeous boat, the designer hit a home run on this particualr model, but you may prefer more room...)
Regal 2400
Sea Ray (they've made a lot of boats in your size/price range)
Baja Islander 242
Grady White Tournament series would be worth a look if you can keep an open mind. These are superbly built, heirloom quality, boats with a decidedly salty flair and traditional styling.

There's a lot of great advice here.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
For added piece of mind when considering a used boat.....

GET A SURVEY!!

Have a proffessional marine surveyor go thru the boat. its cheap insurance, I think its about $25 per foot. A proffessional surveyor will go thru the whole boat stem to stern! He will send the engine oil out to analyzed, check the stringers and transom, inspect the gas tank, plug his comp into the motor to verify the hours and possibly other info such as max RPM etc. In short, a proffessional surveyor will be able to insure you are getting what you paid for. It will also put your insurance company at ease...

Woodsy
More like around $17-20 per foot in this area. Most surveyors do not carry a computer to verify hours, this is a specific tool used by dealers. I do not know any in this area that do. An oil analysis is not standard either by any means. The main points inspected are hull integrity/moisture check in the transom, electronics, steering, electrical, cosmetics, drive functionality, fluid leaks, obvious mechanical issues, etc. as well as inspecting for previous gelcoat repairs hiding previous damage. They also can give expert opinions on the brand and type of boat, typical history of issues with the brand/reliability, etc.. Usually they do not like to get into compression testing but will do so for additional fees. Surveyors are not mechanics and like to leave this type of stuff to someone who specializes in it. I can refer you to one if you are interested.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
GET A SURVEY!!

Woodsy
Woodsy, ecellent advice.... I have been around boating my whole life, and look at boats all the time. So when I go to buy, I know what things to look at and never think about a survey.... But for that first time buyer even if a back or insurance doesn't require it, it is the safe way to go.....
Old 05-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Drive over to Center Harbor and you'll see my 26" 2004 Hurricane deck boat for sale...i just put it out in front of the Red Hill dari drive-in.It only has a hundred or so hours on and is a perfect boat for kids/skiing.Also,the twin 4 cycle Honda's are great on gas.I found it a little big for lake Winnisquam but it's perfect for the "big" lake.I'm looking for a nice 18 footer
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #18
ossipeeboater

If I were you I'd definately look for used I kick myself for buying new since I'll lose my shirt to get out of it. Cobalt without question was the best quality boat I found when looking. try nhboat.com as well as winni classifieds plenty used out there.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #19
Long Pine

A lot of great advice on what to look for in a boat. Once you get comfortable with what you want, you can get a sense for whether the price is reasonable for a used boat by going to one of a couple websites.

www.boattrader.com allows you to search boats listed nationally by type of boat, size, manufacturer, model year, etc. While you would not likely travel these distances to buy your boat, it can give you an idea of what people across the country are asking for the boat you want to buy. Keep in mind, though, that the boats are not always comparable. Boats in the south often have more hours on them due to longer seasons. Some boats have spent their lives in salt water, etc. It just gives you a range though to see if what you are going to pay is in the range.

www.nadaguides.com also has used boat section where you can see what NADA says a used boat is worth (rather than the asking prices you find on boattrader.com).
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #20
dpg

30-40K Is a used price range???? Jeez, have boats gone up that much?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
30-40K Is a used price range???? Jeez, have boats gone up that much?
Yep a sick thought isn't it..... but they're affordable these days if you spread the payments out over 15 years....

Unfortunatly as banks have allowed people to borrow money over longer periods of time the prices have gone up. I see this with boats and automobiles.... something I was looking at the other day mentioned car loans for 84 months.... 7 years.... some vehicles don't even last that long....
Old 05-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #22
Cub Run

Default Boston Whaler !

We have purchased 3 different Boston Whalers over the past 10 years. All of them were used but excellent boats. We purchased one through Silver Sands and two through Shep Browns. We started with an 18' bowrider and although a nice reliable boat you did get tossed around on the rough days. The 22 footer seems just right for the lake. Tubing, skiing, cruising, rough weather, it does it all ! Seats a good size family and has a porta-potti !The service at Sheps has been excellent.I highly recommend them. Steve in the service department helped me fix a problem over the phone when I could not start the boat last summer.Used boats are certainly something to consider, especially if you are buying from a reputable dealer. Good luck!
Cub Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #23
GTO

Default Sea Ray

Another thing to consider is the weight of the boat. My 22' Searay bowrider weighs close to 4000 lbs and handles the rough water real well. This is my 4th year year with it and have been trouble free. Not sure what boat prices are right now but if your already planning on spending that much $$, look around for new. Even if you have to spend an extra couple of thousand, your getting a full warranty and peace of mind that nothing was abused on it.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #24
Gavia immer

I agree with Cub Run on the Whaler. Any engine/lower unit repairs can be made easier and a loaner/rental engine can be installed in minutes for any extended repair. Even a smaller replacement engine can keep the boat in temporary "touring" condition. 22 feet is fine. A longer/heavier boat may be needed if weekends are the "heavy use" period. Weekends can get wet out there even on calm days because of large traffic. A bigger boat at your dock may require dredging. Remember that even boats registered in NH can also be used/stored in salt water. A used boat shouldn't have a strong fiberglass odor. That may be due to a recent repair. Peek into several remote locations where a hull repair can't be expected to be smoothly finished. This is a rocky lake and outside, the hull may look great.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #25
beagle

Thumbs up Thanks everyone!

I'm going to write down all this advice, 'cause we're heading up tomorrow to check out the marinas! Wish us luck!

This forum is the best!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #26
ThePlut

Default Some examples

Here are a couple of nice Cobalts on Boattrader:

a 246:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/87703128.htm

a 240:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/7/88068567.htm

I personally own a 2005 240 which is identical to that one (although mine has a smaller motor that that 240, the 8.1l in the above boat will FLY) and can vouch for it's capability on Winni. Either of those can be had for under $40k.

246s are great too.

Just some ideas to get you started. Good luck
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #27
Dave R

Quote:
I'm going to write down all this advice, 'cause we're heading up tomorrow to check out the marinas! Wish us luck!

This forum is the best!
How'd it go? Find any you liked?

Check www.boatingabc.com for more in-depth boating advice if needed. There's auite a few folks from the lake there as well.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #28
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut
Here are a couple of nice Cobalts on Boattrader:

a 246:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/87703128.htm

a 240:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/7/88068567.htm

I personally own a 2005 240 which is identical to that one (although mine has a smaller motor that that 240, the 8.1l in the above boat will FLY) and can vouch for it's capability on Winni. Either of those can be had for under $40k.

246s are great too.

Just some ideas to get you started. Good luck
I went back and forth between a leftover 240 and a new 246 when I was looking both are nice it just depends on whether you want a sunpad or not.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #29
beagle

Default Maybe too soon, but put in an offer

Actually, we thought we were just looking to get an idea of what is out there, but we saw an 05 regal 2600 with only 45 hrs on it which looked brand new. Took it for a ride, what a solid boat! Even the engine looked unused, no dust/dirt anywhere. So, we took a chance and put in an offer, and are waiting to hear. We won't be back up until Memorial Day, and thought that it wouldn't last until then. Hope we didn't do something dumb, what'd ya think?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #30
GTO

Default Regal

Quote:
Actually, we thought we were just looking to get an idea of what is out there, but we saw an 05 regal 2600 with only 45 hrs on it which looked brand new. Took it for a ride, what a solid boat! Even the engine looked unused, no dust/dirt anywhere. So, we took a chance and put in an offer, and are waiting to hear. We won't be back up until Memorial Day, and thought that it wouldn't last until then. Hope we didn't do something dumb, what'd ya think?

When I was first looking for a new boat, I put a deposit on a Regal at the boat show. When I got home and started talking to a few people they talked me out of it. Compared them to a Bayliner. So, I cancelled the deposit and bought Searay and have been happy since. If you can test drive a few different models, do it. They all handle differently. Its a big investment that should give you nothing but pleasure.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #31
ossipeeboater

Quote:
silver sands I assume, nice looking boat should fit your needs well
Old 05-08-2007, 07:12 AM   #32
Dave R

I'm on my second Regal. I really like them.

What engine does the 2600 have?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #33
beagle

Default engine

It has a 350 Magnum MPI with Bravo 3 prop. Is that okay?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #34
Woodsy

Quote:
Thats a great engine combo for that boat. It will get right up on plane and go pretty good!

I hope they accept your offer!

Woodsy
Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #35
ossipeeboater

Quote:

that will run good right around 50 on the top end and good acceleration with the dual props
Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #36
Dave R

Decent engine choice. The newer BRavo3 has better corrosion management too. There's a couple of extra sacrificial anodes compared to my 2000 Bravo 3.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #37
hazelnut

Default Beagle

Just in case it does not work out I have some info for you.

I just traded in my 2002 Wellcraft Excalibur to Shep Browns in Meredith. I purchased a 2006 Monterey 248LS.

Anyway, the boat I just traded was in great condition. It has a Volvo Duoprop 350 - 270hp with 300 hours on it. It is a bowrider. Plenty of power and it rides great. It is a great size for the lake. Go check it out if you like they are great people over there.

The only reason I traded it in was that I fell in love with the Monterey and it has a few more bells and whistles. The extra size comes in handy with three kids including our newborn daughter. It also has a head which is helpful when you have twin 3 year old boys who are recently potty trained.

Good Luck in the search. PM me if you have any questions.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #38
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
When I was first looking for a new boat, I put a deposit on a Regal at the boat show. When I got home and started talking to a few people they talked me out of it. Compared them to a Bayliner. So, I cancelled the deposit and bought Searay and have been happy since.
You know Sea Ray and Bayliner are different brands of the same company, right?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #39
hazelnut

Default Wow

HOLY SMOKES Brunswick owns quite a few more than just Sea Ray and Bayliner:

http://www.brunswick.com/brands/marine-boats/index.php
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #40
GTO

Default good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
You know Sea Ray and Bayliner are different brands of the same company, right?
But Ford also make the Crown Victoria and the Escort. Which would you rather drive?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #41
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut
HOLY SMOKES Brunswick owns quite a few more than just Sea Ray and Bayliner:

http://www.brunswick.com/brands/marine-boats/index.php
Genmar and Godfrey are the other big marine conglomerates. Between them, they have Four Winns, Larson, Glastron, Wellcraft, Carver, Hurricane, Polar, and a bunch of other brands.

I prefer family-owned, independant boat makers, like Cobalt, Bryant, Regal and Monterey. When you order a boat from one of these companies, odds are good you'll be able to go to the factory and watch it being built, if you want to. Not sure that's possible with the corporate brands.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #42
hazelnut

Thumbs up Monterey

I knew about Genmar I was unaware how much Brunswick held. That is quite a percentage of the industry.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #43
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
I prefer family-owned, independant boat makers, like Cobalt, Bryant, Regal and Monterey
Dave R, I just picked up my Monterey on Friday. WOW!

What a beautiful boat. The attention to detail, fit and finish, overall quality of the boat is unsurpassed IMHO. I am really happy with this boat.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:40 AM   #44
Dave R

Quote:
Dave R, I just picked up my Monterey on Friday. WOW!

What a beautiful boat. The attention to detail, fit and finish, overall quality of the boat is unsurpassed IMHO. I am really happy with this boat.
Congrats! They are trying to become a top-shelf builder and I think they are succeeding. A friend of mine, who has owned 40+ boats in his lifetime (and 4 boat dealerships), has is second Monterey on order. He knows boats and he's picky. On his advice, I toured a 298SC last Summer and it now tops the list as my next boat.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #45
TomC

Default review/rating resources?

There isn't a lot of review sites out there, but one of the ones that is: jdpower. they put Monterey solidly in the Average category in large runabouts..

looks like Cobalt, Searay, Regal, maybe Baja are tops (4-5 stars). Bayliner, Stingray, Larson at the bottom (2 stars).

in the Average ratings (3 stars): Four Winns, Crownline each have a 4 in there, but at all 3's JDpower says Monterey is as average as it gets...

http://www.jdpower.com/boats/large-runabout

As a point earlier in the thread made.. boats cost a fortune and no one wants to make a mistake. Resale value has to suffer when a rating site puts a brand at average or below.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #46
hazelnut

Default JD Power?

Personally I would not rely on JD Power to influence my purchases on anything.

All you need to do is climb on board various boats it aint rocket science. Certain boats have cheaper gages, switches, buttons. Check out the stitch count/quality of the fabrics and upholstery. Check out the layout, latches, controls. Open up the hatches check out the hull...

If it looks cheap and it feels cheap chances are the build quality will be reflected.

I was fortunate to go to the Boat show and I spent considerable amount of time on several manufacturers boats. To avoid a war here I will only say that a top rated manufacturer as rated by JD Power was severely lacking in many if not ALL of the above mentioned categories. Certain manufacturers have decided to rest on their laurels as a name brand boat while some lesser known newer manufacturers (Bryant, Monterey) have crept up on them and surpassed them. Don't take my word, go see for yourself, check out the new models. I would caution against using JD Power to influence your decision.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #47
TomC

Default how come?

Quote:
Personally I would not rely on JD Power to influence my purchases on anything....I would caution against using JD Power to influence your decision.

I would like to understand why you feel this way? I think in general anyone who knows "lake boats" - like the kind we are all familiar with - think the JDPower hierachy is "about right" for bowrider/runabouts (ie who is on top and who is on the bottom).

They say on their website (read press release here http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...px?id=2007026) "The 2007 Boat Competitive Information Study is based on responses from 12,140 owners who registered a new boat between June 2005 and May 2006"... Thats seems to be a lot of input from actual users, people who have crawled around the boats and checked the hatches, etc. of the boats they ultimately bought - and presumably would be favorably inclined to review positively. A bad review says alot in that case.

Boat magazines never say anything bad in their reviews - you have to wonder about their objectivity when the mags are full of ads for boats. If you contend that the data in the JDPower site is compromised, where do you turn? Who has hours and hours to visit dozens of boat dealers performing my surveys...?

Nosing around the web I did find this site: http://www.boatclix.com/reviews for information about various makes.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #48
jrc

Default JD Power?

Don't forget that JD Power rates consumer satisfaction. That is not the same thing as quality. They survey people who bought new boats and ask them if they are happy with their purchase. That's why prestige brands tend to rate higher and stay higher by inertia. I mean if you just spent $10,000 more to buy a Cobalt instead of Monterey, are you going to tell the survey that you were stupid for buying a fancy name instead of a good value? Higher ratings mean higher resale. It's amazing that any boats have bad ratings.

I'm not saying that Cobalt isn't better boat than Monterey, I'm just saying that you can't make that judgement solely on JD Power ratings.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #49
hazelnut

Default What I saw

I think it's flawed.

I guess I have a difference of opinion when it came to what JD Power said and what my two eyes saw. My thought... Some folks are just Brand-washed. I expect the trend to change soon based on what I saw. As I said before, certain top brand(s) have slipped recently. Not just my words but words of several folks with ties to the industry (sort of the murmur at the boat show). This was after I raised the issue so I was not influenced by that. I don't necessarily think that if someone were to buy that boat they would be getting a bad boat. Far from it. Most likely very safe and reliable. However, for the money you should expect the best. There were some question marks over my head as to whether or not that was the case. I think JD Power has some lag to it due to the fact that human nature is at the root of the survey.

I guess what I am trying to say is, don't take my word for it or JD Power for that matter, go see for yourself. Make sure you look at the price. If you can say to yourself "this boat is clearly worth $20,000 more than those others." Then go for it.